Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

multijoe posted:

If Kieth ends up going below Corbyn's worst numbers it's going to be hard not to gloat a bit, it seems like the only thing we have left now is spite

[UK] it seems like the only thing we have left now is spite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
I think most of Britain's spite reserves are controlled by the Tories.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hillary 2020 posted:

I think most of Britain's spite reserves are controlled by the Tories.

Speak for yourself

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Another classic LMBO Britain:

Now I guess it's not completely different from other countries, but it seems very much like social equality? What's that?

Those Bangladeshi and Pakistani figures in particular are pretty eye-popping, almost 50% poverty rate, that's, uh, something alright.

This is even more ludicrous given all the moaning about "left-behind poor white children" which is like, ffs.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Feb 22, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

redleader posted:

bojo has the covid MBS brain lol

I am looking forward to his proposal for British NEOM

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

If Bojo wants to do a massive infrastructure project, he should wall off the North Sea. Bonus: Northern European shipping no longer could get to Ireland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neFMunVEE8E

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo bojo should build a gigantic plant-laden pontoon bridge

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

imo bojo should build a gigantic plant-laden pontoon bridge

giant peat mats

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Tories are gonna run on a platform of bringing back Doggerland

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Why would the Tories endorse a project that allows those Polish and Romanians to just walk into Are Britane?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

If Bojo wants to do a massive infrastructure project, he should wall off the North Sea. Bonus: Northern European shipping no longer could get to Ireland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neFMunVEE8E

Seems like a good idea, let#s do this. Then we can drain the sea over night and march the Grande Armée over to finally enforce metric.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Some people say building gigantic damns blocking northern europe from the atlantic could be harmful to sealife, but who's to say there will be sealife?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lolling at the "comparisons" there, none of which are dams hundreds of miles long and a hundred meters tall

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

when they make engineering plans for the north sea dyke, they'll have to account for the effect making that much concrete will have on sea levels lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dustcat posted:

lolling at the "comparisons" there, none of which are dams hundreds of miles long and a hundred meters tall

Mate if the Dutch say they can do it I'm inclined to take their word

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
As the youtube link above points out, doing this is substantially cheaper than dealing with massively rising sea levels over the next 100 years on a country-by-country basis or worse yet just abandoning that land. Of course it's upfront cost rather than waiting until it happens and throwing up your hands and saying "nothing we can do now" which is our current government's style.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There's elections in The Netherlands in three weeks or so and some parties have already taken that stance. "Stop throwing money away at renewable energy and raise the dykes instead".

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
On the other hand, doing nothing would include London in the massive areas of land it would effectively destroy so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

realistically, nothing real is going to get done and we really need to start preparing seriously for the coming deluge

taking that as excuse to just give up and accept likely nuclear war +actual megadeath just seems ridiculous though

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

gonadic io posted:

On the other hand, doing nothing would include London in the massive areas of land it would effectively destroy so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not.

london has the highest poverty rates in the UK, but im not sure washing away all the poor people is the answer

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
We're probably not going to do anything so it's probably going to happen so it's probably worth us not doing anything.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

gonadic io posted:

Drown the square mile, in saltwater or blood

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

post-Brexit, will the City have enough wealth and power to wall itself off the sea as the rest of London drowns?

It would become some sort of island of pure evil

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Atrocious Joe posted:

post-Brexit, will the City have enough wealth and power to wall itself off the sea as the rest of London drowns?

It would become some sort of island of pure evil

The companies would all just move to new london, in the peak district or whatever.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

multijoe posted:

Some people say building gigantic damns blocking northern europe from the atlantic could be harmful to sealife, but who's to say there will be sealife?

what has the sea ever given us anyway? nothing but cod and haddock, and mussels we can't export

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

V. Illych L. posted:

realistically, nothing real is going to get done and we really need to start preparing seriously for the coming deluge

taking that as excuse to just give up and accept likely nuclear war +actual megadeath just seems ridiculous though

Capital will start to care when Wall Street bankers get their feet wet

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

MikeCrotch posted:

Capital will start to care when Wall Street bankers get their feet wet

yes, at which point it will be much too late to do anything except retreat to new zealand bunkers

tbf i think they'll start caring once global supply chains start getting seriously disrupted, but it amounts to the same thing

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

gonadic io posted:

The companies would all just move to new london, in the peak district or whatever.

New London, between Lithuania and Poland.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
https://mobile.twitter.com/NotNihal/status/1364266419970531329

We're going to take Liverpool and Keith can't stop us

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol if that party takes off Labour is finished

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nonsense posted:

To be fair Labour might be finished anyway

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Continuity NIP posted:

To be fair Labour might be finished anyway

If they're not, Kier is just going to have to try even harder.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Wasn't Jeremy Corbin from northern england? What if corbyn's destruction of the labor party was a long con to make himself king of the north?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nonsense posted:

It would be good to stake it through the heart though to kill the idea for any sentimentalists or Sensible lefties that it's worthing remaining with for any reason

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

bedpan posted:

Wasn't Jeremy Corbin from northern england? What if corbyn's destruction of the labor party was a long con to make himself king of the north?

Yeah, JC is from Middlesbrough

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

"The Blairites send their regards!" Says Keir Starmer as he slits the throat of the Labor Party.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Continuity NIP posted:

Yeah, JC is from Middlesbrough

No he isn't, he's a southerner.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

namesake posted:

No he isn't, he's a southerner.

Yes he is. Born with a parmo in his mouth

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь