Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Apprentice Dick posted:

how I accidentily ruined black history month stuff in kindergarten
:frogon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What in the hell am I watching?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I hate to disappoint, but it's a pretty mundane story. A gospel choir came in from a local church and sang during the regular Wednesday morning church service we had to attend, and after it was wrapping up they wanted all the black kids to to come up for a picture. Me being six and not understanding anything but take a picture I went up and was a beacon of white in the crowd, and the principal pulled me out and sent me on my way. I told my mom after school and the next day she went proto-Karen on the principal for making me realize that race existed I guess. I don't know what she said, but we never had anything significant at school for black history month ever again.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

This sounds like something I'd expect in a Nazi country.

bellamy_salute.jpg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Zesty posted:

I would hazard to guess all of Donald Trump's supporters actively voted and acted against their own interest. :shrug:

Not the rich ones.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Takoluka posted:

Come on, that's easy! The flag "unites all Christians in service and in love," and the Bible is "a light unto your path" and you're supposed to "hide its words in your heart that you may not sin against God."

I grew up with Vacation Bible School every summer, and that poo poo is seared into my brain.

I loved my Nana but I can't pretend that I wasn't a little grateful when she died I would never have to go to vacation bible school again

that's not a loving vacation

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

subpar anachronism posted:

i know those feels

:same:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I loved my Nana but I can't pretend that I wasn't a little grateful when she died I would never have to go to vacation bible school again

Now that is a mood.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

It's a "vacation" for the parents who get their kids out of the house for a week during the summer

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samovar posted:

On the topic of trans peoples, one of the folk arrested from the capital insurrection is a transwoman who was in the army.

Cause when I think of presidents who helped trans people in the military, I think Donald Trump.

One, trans woman. Two words, trans is an adjective. The terf crowd uses transwoman as a dog whistle in a "see they're *different* than REAL women" way.
Two, gently caress. Really? I'd like to know more about that story.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Manuel Calavera posted:

Really? I'd like to know more about that story.

https://www.out.com/news/2021/2/22/trans-woman-jessica-watkins-insurrection-capitol-assault-riot-oath-keepers-jail

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I know how you feel bro. I’m also glad your nana is dead

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"Vacation Bible School" does not mean "Bible School that is Vacation". It means "Bible School you attend during your Vacation instead of doing something you'd prefer"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

At least for mine it was a genuinely fun summer camp where we just had to go to sermon every morning. Anything more than that feels like pulling teeth.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Apprentice Dick posted:

christian flag

I thought I've heard of all the major American Christian things by now but this is a new one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I thought I've heard of all the major American Christian things by now but this is a new one.

well it would be weird to pledge allegiance to a bloody guy hanging on a cross

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

well it would be weird to pledge allegiance to a bloody guy hanging on a cross

The bloody guy is catholic, is the flag-havers are southern evangelicals.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I played a beggar at an ex's Vacation Bible Camp and since it was cool to give to the needy I was given a LOT of small plastic coins by the kids. Coins the kids needed to pay for other things like Jesus trinkets and food lol. It took me a couple of days to completely break the economy. I was the richest guy in Bible town until they got confused by the lack of money in circulation and figured it out.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ratjaculation posted:

He's a warrior protecting women's spaces by *checks notes* invading women's spaces.

If you haven't noticed the theme yet with these types, it's a lot of, "This is what I would do, so it's obviously what others are doing, but since I can't actually find any actual evidence of this I'll do it myself."

See also: voter fraud last November, especially (I think) Laura Loomer recording herself illegally "casting" a (provisional) ballot for someone else.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

If you haven't noticed the theme yet with these types, it's a lot of, "This is what I would do, so it's obviously what others are doing, but since I can't actually find any actual evidence of this I'll do it myself."

See also: voter fraud last November, especially (I think) Laura Loomer recording herself illegally "casting" a (provisional) ballot for someone else.

Yeah, they really tell on themselves with their projection.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vindolanda posted:

There are a couple of versions of stories like that. There’s a (now removed) bit of the bible where baby Jesus explains to some dragons the error of their ways and they just leave.
Lmao i had no idea but this is fantastic...they were fools not to keep this in the canon

The Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew posted:

And when they arrived at a certain cave, so that they might cool off in it, Mary climbed down from the mule and sat and was holding Jesus in her lap. Now, there were three male servants making the journey with them, and one maidservant with Mary. And behold, suddenly many dragons came out of the cave, and when the servants saw them they cried out.
Then the Lord, although he was not yet two years old, roused himself and, standing on his feet, stood before them. Those dragons, indeed, worshiped him, and when they had finished worshiping him, they went away. Then was fulfilled what was said by the prophet who wrote the Psalms, saying, “Praise the Lord from the earth, dragons and all the depths.” [Ps 148:7]
Now, he himself—the Lord Jesus Christ, still a small child—began walking along with them so that he not weigh them down. But Mary and Joseph were saying to each other, “It would be better if those dragons were to kill us than to hurt the child.”
But Jesus said to them, “Do not consider me to be a small child; for I always was and am the perfect man, and it is necessary that I make tame every kind of wild beast.”

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dilbert man just doing his usual thing
https://twitter.com/dfreedman7/status/1364263931041222657

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/khymera2000/status/1364074108955201540

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Azeala Banks is going to be really surprised when she finds out what one of the requirements of being Jewish is.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mak0rz posted:

My public junior high school had the Christian flag on stage, opposite the American flag. I learned the Lord's Prayer in first grade.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

PetraCore posted:

At least for mine it was a genuinely fun summer camp where we just had to go to sermon every morning. Anything more than that feels like pulling teeth.

My local VBS wasn't too bad either -- when I hit 13 I got to be a junior counselor or whatever they called them, which meant I got paid to watch the kids play tag. One year was bug-themed, and we got to play with hissing cockroaches. It was a really chill church, so I was probably lucky.

Actual Bible camp on the other hand was the worst. Once you got to a certain age you could choose what kind of program you wanted to join. Every year I'd pick a new one: horse riding, rock band, wilderness survival, etc trying to figure out which had the least amount of sermons. (The answer was none of them.)

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I support public schooling, but I'm really glad I went to a private school that didn't make us say the pledge. Making schoolchildren take a loyalty oath to the state every morning is some YA dystopia poo poo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Pththya-lyi posted:

I support public schooling, but I'm really glad I went to a private school that didn't make us say the pledge. Making schoolchildren take a loyalty oath to the state every morning is some YA dystopia poo poo

I went to private Catholic school until high school, and they made us do the pledge every morning until 8th grade. It's sad to see what happened to the people that took it all very seriously.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I went to a private Christian School K-12 and yeah we stopped doing that after about 6th grade but before that it was every day. I'm sure some of my classmates were super into it but for most of us it was just a thing we did every morning and then it wasn't and we never thought about it again. Didn't really think about how weird it was until years later, and it took even longer for me to come to the conclusion that pledging our allegiance to the American and/or Christian flags was technically idolatry.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I had a class last semester that touched on propaganda, and one of my classmates was an American immigrant who one day in class had this minor existential crisis about saying the pledge of allegiance in school as a kid. Something we had been talking about kind of made everything fit together for him and for about five minutes he just talked about how he was realising how insane it is. I don't think anyone begrudged him that, either.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I went to a convent school on Ireland and they made us say the Hail Mary before every single class. I had to learn how to say the drat prayer phonetically in irish because no one ever taught me the actual words.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RoboRodent posted:

I had a class last semester that touched on propaganda, and one of my classmates was an American immigrant who one day in class had this minor existential crisis about saying the pledge of allegiance in school as a kid. Something we had been talking about kind of made everything fit together for him and for about five minutes he just talked about how he was realising how insane it is. I don't think anyone begrudged him that, either.

It must be the weirdest feeling to realise that most countries don't spend so much time convincing the world that, despite everything, they are in fact the most free, most rich, most excellent country there is.

America the company has pumped so much capital into pro-america advertising, that when the gap between the adverts and the reality becomes inarguable, the publicists just go quiet.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
I'm not familiar with Canadian politics, but this FEELS like IOSM.

https://twitter.com/NDP/status/1364229780036444164?s=19

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woozie66 posted:

I'm not familiar with Canadian politics, but this FEELS like IOSM.

https://twitter.com/NDP/status/1364229780036444164?s=19

it's the left-wing party trying to appeal to the youth.

so the ideas are legitimate criticisms largely, but the way they tell them is real stupid.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Arivia posted:

it's the left-wing party trying to appeal to the youth.

so the ideas are legitimate criticisms largely, but the way they tell them is real stupid.

That's what I thought. But the "yes" to Keystone and a flippant "no" to minimum wage stuff confused me.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/insaneppltweets/status/1364327241144958976?s=20

Monica Lewinsky is not the idiot

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Woozie66 posted:

That's what I thought. But the "yes" to Keystone and a flippant "no" to minimum wage stuff confused me.

I think its what their discussion is going to end at
I dunno it’s weird

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/chetanhere/status/1364117061471932417

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

They're saying Democrats and Liberals aren't good, which is true, but it's a lame way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Woozie66 posted:

they're saying that's what trudeau and biden will agree to on those issues e: or what trudeau's position on that stuff is