Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

hoho`win posted:

Any reason? I rode a newer stock one last summer and thought it was nice, like a big dirtbike but on the heavy side.

I had a 2017 DCT as well, sans any suspension upgrades, and it was a really great motorcycle. Since you mentioned riding with a pillion as well, my partner (110ish) liked the stock seat and greatly enjoyed the Sargent seat. DCT is great for two up since the shifting is buttery smooth and you wont be constantly bouncing into each other. Dirt handling was great as well. I have seen good reviews about the new T7 as well also, maybe you can convince your pillion to go on test drives with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I put a refundable deposit down on a Crystal White Trident. Delivery some time in early March. Hopefully I actually like it in person.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that sounds like toothpaste.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is how it feels when you chew Crystal White Trident gum

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Razzled posted:

AT for more touring style riding, tenere for doing more bdr/offroad style riding (though the AT can do this too just not as easy). KTM 790/890 go try one and see if it catches your fancy but MEH. between all the issues, the price and the fact that the 790 is already abandoned i skipped it and bought an fe501 instead.

my dad has done the east coast to west coast TAT route on his dct africa twin so it's possible (and without mid trip oil changes lol)

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

I had a 2017 DCT as well, sans any suspension upgrades, and it was a really great motorcycle. Since you mentioned riding with a pillion as well, my partner (110ish) liked the stock seat and greatly enjoyed the Sargent seat. DCT is great for two up since the shifting is buttery smooth and you wont be constantly bouncing into each other. Dirt handling was great as well. I have seen good reviews about the new T7 as well also, maybe you can convince your pillion to go on test drives with you.

Thanks doods, sounds like I need to do a few more test rides with the old lady to make a decision.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It finally happened, a pretty lady just said "Nice bike!" to me as I was parking the bike!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Quick, buy a lottery ticket!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I once was riding along a lonesome desert highway on the back side of the Sierra Nevada, bike covered in camping gear, and a pretty woman in an E30 BMW came up beside me, waved and made kissy faces, and took off.

It was some clark griswold poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Is there even one lady who posts in here any more since Becktastic and M42 moved on

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Is there even one lady who posts in here any more since Becktastic and M42 moved on

:( Every day we stray closer to ADVrider.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

:( Every day we stray closer to ADVrider.

Not quite. They try to deny reality with pathetic bravado and sexism; like all reactionaries they think the problem comes from the outside.

We face to biek and embrace the raw gay horsepower.

You don't need girls when you've got a Gladius!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Gladius?
The KTM SMC-R is the quintessential gay bike. I swear, every european gay biker seems to be getting a ktm/husqvarna supermoto, or a Duke 390 if they are power limited.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I once was riding along a lonesome desert highway on the back side of the Sierra Nevada, bike covered in camping gear, and a pretty woman in an E30 BMW came up beside me, waved and made kissy faces, and took off.

It was some clark griswold poo poo

Were you on a v-Strom? (the motorcycling equivalent of a wood paneled avocado green station wagon)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

LimaBiker posted:

Gladius?
every european gay biker

why am i hearing techno music

ah, ja ihr haben eine groBen heine

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Update: The dealer made good on their promise. They replaced the back wheel on my CBR250 at their expense. Only downside is that the new wheel doesn't have the slick red rim taping. They also picked it up and dropped it off (80 miles round trip). I'm impressed with them and will likely go back to them. I already replaced the bent brake lever and will replace the footpegs this weekend (they're a bit wobbly). A buddy told me my Honda reminds him of the bike from Akira and I should get the stickers for it.

Now I'm just waiting on a non-freezing day and for a helmet that doesn't squish my brain.

This channel is going to help me pick my next bike when I get around to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglzNAML78M
I feel bad though. I've barely put 10 miles on my first bike and I'm already thinking about my next one.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I wouldn't listen to the regular cars guy for any advice except for how not to behave and what bikes are bad to start with. The daytona video is pretty hilarious, though.

Rim tape is cheap. Buy some and apply it yourself.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Guilty pleasure: I think rim tape looks cool, especially when it has some breaks in it like this:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

T Zero posted:

I feel bad though. I've barely put 10 miles on my first bike and I'm already thinking about my next one.
Completely normal impulse and one you should fight. From what my advice is worth as a currently bike-less perpetual dumbass who went Ninja 300 > Ninja ZX6R > Ninja ZX10 over the space of a few years, small displacement bikes rule in so many ways and I'm currently looking at getting another. Even when you get to the point where you feel like you're "outgrowing" the bike (happens commonly within the first few thousand miles, and is also the most dangerous time for a new rider because confidence starts to outpace ability), there is always something to learn and some capability of the bike that hasn't even been tapped into yet.

Plus insurance is cheap, gas is cheap, maintenance is cheap, and small light bikes can be so much more fun tooling around banging through the gears and tossing around corners.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah that big surge of 'omg I know what I'm doing! I'm INVINCIBLE!' is you just discovering the tiniest tip of the iceberg of not-poo poo riding. You've figured out how to ride correct enough that the bike starts to respond correctly and some kind of positive feedback loop can start to form. It is literally a signal that boot camp is over and the real battle has begun, but most people interpret it as a sign of mastery and find themselves in a tree a few months later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don’t go to regular car review for bike advice. He sort of halfway knows what he’s talking about.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Don’t go to regular car review for bike advice. He sort of halfway knows what he’s talking about.

he's learning to fly planes now too and it's fairly ughhhhh because he sort of a quarter of the way knows what he's talking about.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Zack Courts and Ari Henning are the GOAT of motorcycle youtube

just watch all of Zack's MC Commute / Daily Rider videos

mewse
May 2, 2006

FBS posted:

Counterpoint Zack thinks that Dave the Gixxer isn't cool

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I watched his video on a CM450 out of nostalgia for my first bike. He went on for way too long (he always does, but I digress) about the buckhorn bars, complaining about how hard they were to use to get leverage against at low speed. I still can't figure out what he was whining about, that bike was so light and easy to maneuver. If he's trying to lift the bike off the front wheel then yeah, but if he can't move the handlebars in a parking lot I don't know how to help him.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The first 20 seconds of his dr650 was pretty great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is for sure some good bike content from him and he generally has the right idea. It’s the details that get lost on him usually.

He comes off as someone who has been riding for a while but isn’t really “into it”

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

As Nero Danced posted:

I watched his video on a CM450 out of nostalgia for my first bike. He went on for way too long (he always does, but I digress) about the buckhorn bars, complaining about how hard they were to use to get leverage against at low speed. I still can't figure out what he was whining about, that bike was so light and easy to maneuver. If he's trying to lift the bike off the front wheel then yeah, but if he can't move the handlebars in a parking lot I don't know how to help him.

I watched that review too and was confused, never had an issue with buckhorns. They're ugly and not really meant for spirited (there's a 70's word) riding. For long distance couch riding there's nothing better.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Buckhorn bars are something that needs to be appropriately applied per bike.

Goldwing: buckhorn bars all day
SV650: never ever

The Goldwing would suck with straight bars, and so would the SV with buckhorn bars.

One is not automatically better than the other, they just have different applications.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Buckhorn bars are something that needs to be appropriately applied per bike.

Goldwing: buckhorn bars all day
SV650: never ever

The Goldwing would suck with straight bars, and so would the SV with buckhorn bars.

One is not automatically better than the other, they just have different applications.

Truth. I rode my friends CX500 with buckhorns a handful of times and it was very comfortable and chill.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is for sure some good bike content from him and he generally has the right idea. It’s the details that get lost on him usually.

He comes off as someone who has been riding for a while but isn’t really “into it”

All these criticisms are totally valid, but then the whole point of his channel is average dude reviews ordinary stuff because he's interested in it (obviously that's become extended as his access to cars grew with his popularity). He reviews stuff from a cultural, not a technical perspective, specifically that of growing up in the 90s in small town/bedroom community nowhere, where the car "scene" consisted of Mullet Dave wrenching on a Fox body mustang or Monte Carlo in his yard while all the cool stuff is happening far far away. I didn't grow up in Pennsylvania, but I identify with a lot of what he goes on about.
I haven't watched any of the plane stuff, but his bike stuff definitely comes from the "I like bikes, bikes are cool, and also extremely dangerous." layman's world where a Ducati monster is the height of exotica you're ever likely to see, and he probably knew of at least a couple of guys who killed themselves on bikes from his high school.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

At least his videos are telling people don't buy a Daytona or R6 for your first bike, but I still find modern youtube personalities annoying with how zany they feel they have to be

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

All these criticisms are totally valid, but then the whole point of his channel is average dude reviews ordinary stuff because he's interested in it (obviously that's become extended as his access to cars grew with his popularity). He reviews stuff from a cultural, not a technical perspective, specifically that of growing up in the 90s in small town/bedroom community nowhere, where the car "scene" consisted of Mullet Dave wrenching on a Fox body mustang or Monte Carlo in his yard while all the cool stuff is happening far far away. I didn't grow up in Pennsylvania, but I identify with a lot of what he goes on about.
I haven't watched any of the plane stuff, but his bike stuff definitely comes from the "I like bikes, bikes are cool, and also extremely dangerous." layman's world where a Ducati monster is the height of exotica you're ever likely to see, and he probably knew of at least a couple of guys who killed themselves on bikes from his high school.

He's a stupid child that thinks fart jokes are cool and... that's where it ends. He'd have something if he had someone else enforce the stupid words that come out of his idiot mouth. I legitimately love the "regular car drives up and I say words about it" angle, but then he is all "UNNNGNGGGGGGGG *real fart*" for 90% of every single video. He's better than cupholder guy but that's a low bar.

I guess I'm not an "average dude" but I think we need more people like marlon and regularcarreviews guy can get trapped in a hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsczZvazfzo

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Coydog posted:

He's a stupid child that thinks fart jokes are cool and... that's where it ends. He'd have something if he had someone else enforce the stupid words that come out of his idiot mouth. I legitimately love the "regular car drives up and I say words about it" angle, but then he is all "UNNNGNGGGGGGGG *real fart*" for 90% of every single video. He's better than cupholder guy but that's a low bar.

I guess I'm not an "average dude" but I think we need more people like marlon and regularcarreviews guy can get trapped in a hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsczZvazfzo

It's like a kid trying to be funny without knowing how to be entertaining. If he would stop the straining-to-take-a-poo poo noise followed by an obnoxious voice with random words at least 3 times a video I would watch the channel, but that's been his gimmick since he started and it's only funny maybe once, but then you get out of 8th grade and it gets really old really quick. Just checked one of the more recent videos and he's toned it down a bit, but it's still there.

I remember when Marlon only had the original bonneville review up, glad to see he's made a couple more since then.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 24, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

He doesn’t have the depth with bikes to review them from a cultural standpoint, honestly. Cars? Sure

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

He doesn’t have the depth with bikes to review them from a cultural standpoint, honestly. Cars? Sure

Yeah, that's true. I guess that's what makes the bike stuff more sort of "these are my feelings about this bike" which is not particularly useful as a review.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

FBS posted:

they're better than most, but at times they definitely dip into a bit of the "this bike that isnt a sportbike isn't enough of a sportbike" thing that motorcycle reviewers habitually do

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bike YouTube channels that I think are good and I enjoy:

44 Teeth
Missenden Flyer
Mr Darcy and the Old Man
Royal Jordanian
Delboy’s Garage
Tatro Machine
New Zeroland
Allan Milyard
FortNine

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Fiiiinnnneeee I won't let a youtuber dictate my next vehicle purchase and will learn to appreciate what I currently have I want a T100

Steakandchips posted:

44 Teeth
Missenden Flyer
Mr Darcy and the Old Man
Royal Jordanian
Delboy’s Garage
Tatro Machine
New Zeroland
Allan Milyard
FortNine

I'll check some of these out. Thank you

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Steakandchips posted:

44 Teeth
Missenden Flyer
Mr Darcy and the Old Man
Royal Jordanian
Delboy’s Garage
Tatro Machine
New Zeroland
Allan Milyard
FortNine

Half of these it sounds like you made up. "FortNine"? come on, son

I like certain reviews that Mr. Regular has done, in particular the PT Cruiser one is really fascinating. He goes on this whole disseration about PoMo and also about poverty and the way that we react when we face it. Also the Model T video has a lot of interesting information. But yeah a lot of times his schtick is constantly irritating. I don't need to hear you repeating CHEESEDICK over and over in an increasingly deep voice for one full minute. Of course the second he hears that someone is irritated by it, he'll do it even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Half of these it sounds like you made up. "FortNine"? come on, son
They actually have a video explaining the name!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSAR0b-0w8k