Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Athleisurewear Domino is pretty dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

Okay, iLol'd really hard at the start of Marauders this week. "Why is Proteus here?" WELL...:xd:

That was funny, though I wonder if Proteus know about Moira; I'm sure not telling an omega mutant with many issues that his mom is actually alive is gonna end up bringing a lot of trouble for Xavier and Magneto later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

radlum posted:

That was funny, though I wonder if Proteus know about Moira; I'm sure not telling an omega mutant with many issues that his mom is actually alive is gonna end up bringing a lot of trouble for Xavier and Magneto later.

Probably less than him finding out "Your mum only had you as part of a millenia long chess game she's playing with the entire population of Earth and possibly beyond, you're purely a means to an end and that feeling of her not loving you, is completely true."

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-legends-adam-x-summers-brother/

Sure, I'll take Adam X being a Summers brother.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Gabe was an evil space emperor who tortured Havok and gets to go on benders with the rest of the first class, meanwhile Adam has been a pariah on account of not wanting to be responsible indirectly for what Vulcan did on purpose and is trapped making snuff livestreams on Mojoworld? Rawest deal of any Summers yet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

I was going with "well, that's an interesting coincidence, but it makes sense", only for Emma to open her mouth and me going "wait, what does she know??"

I'm pretty sure Emma knowing about Moira was part of how they recruited her, but that might be something I made up in my head.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alaois posted:

that wasn't even the same eye!

and it was never red!

e: that said, really enjoyed this issue of Cable!

hey, domino has spent a lot of time with cable. it's not odd that she'd pick up some of his habits.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

danbanana posted:

One of the amazing things is how willing Marvel was to let people cut their teeth on their biggest properties in this era. Maybe it's because X-Men would sell no matter who was writing or doing art but it feels so weird, especially after decades of good-to-great art on those books.

I think there was a lot of that for sure, but IIRC, the editorial team had burned a lot of bridges with creators in the early '90s and Marvel was in a mad scramble for talent for a while. It let a lot of newcomers pick up formative projects, but that was very much a double-edged sword. You can go back and look at several books of the period, like Secret Defenders or the latter half of What If?, and it's very much the Marvel amateur league.

Then again, comics were still cheap and visible enough back then that some crazy books managed respectable runs. I was reminded the other night of the '90s Guardians of the Galaxy run, about the 30th-century version of the team with Vance Astro leading it, which somehow made it to issue #52.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don’t care what anyone says I like Joe Madureira’s art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rick posted:

First arc of Loebs Batman/Superman is underrated.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was McGuinness on the first and fourth arcs. Public Enemies was a fun story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

That was McGuinness on the first and fourth arcs. Public Enemies was a fun story.

I only read the first to arcs and I knew it was definitely not McGuinness on the Second

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Wanderer posted:

Then again, comics were still cheap and visible enough back then that some crazy books managed respectable runs. I was reminded the other night of the '90s Guardians of the Galaxy run, about the 30th-century version of the team with Vance Astro leading it, which somehow made it to issue #52.

Hey most of that run was by Image co-founder and creator of Shadowhawk Jim Valentino! (Who probably only got invited as a founder because he was an actual adult with comics experience other than drawing cool pinups). That book was pretty popular. Also, remember that that was still spinner rack era. Even the lower selling books were 50k - 100k a month.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wanderer posted:

I think there was a lot of that for sure, but IIRC, the editorial team had burned a lot of bridges with creators in the early '90s and Marvel was in a mad scramble for talent for a while. It let a lot of newcomers pick up formative projects, but that was very much a double-edged sword. You can go back and look at several books of the period, like Secret Defenders or the latter half of What If?, and it's very much the Marvel amateur league.
In the case of artists I think it was less that a lot of bridges were burned -- there were always burned bridges, most significantly with the Image founders -- and more that I think a lot of editors were baffled by the relatively sudden ascension of Liefeld/McFarlane/Larsen etc., with weird styles that 'broke the rules' of previous superstar artists like Neal Adams, George Perez, Michael Golden, John Byrne, Frank Miller, etc.

So I think a lot of the mentality was the same as that of the 1990s recording industry. Sure, there are a lot of solid professionals who can be relied upon to put out good work that will reach a respectable level of craft and commercial success, but WOW, did you see how many units these Image kids / ['alternative' artists the executives didn't really understand the appeal of] were moving? Why keep getting acceptable returns out of a John Buscema comic or some respected singer-songwriter's tenth album when you could gamble on some new kids and maybe get the next Todd McFarlane or Nirvana?

Sometimes this paid off, other times you just gave big exposure to a fifth-generation garbled copy of McFarlane/Nirvana.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Edge & Christian posted:

Sometimes this paid off, other times you just gave big exposure to a fifth-generation garbled copy of McFarlane/Nirvana.

Lashley's work on Excaliber/X-Calibre looks like he was trying to ape Art Thibert and that's... probably not the best inspiration, imo.

To be fair to Marvel, they were in a bad spot no matter what they did. If they gave a major book to the best they had available, it was probably only a matter of time before Image came calling. Capullo's X-Force work isn't particularly great (he can't seem to decide if he wants to be Art Adams or McFarlane) but it isn't a surprise that he was doing Spawn after a year or so. And at this point, I'm sure their sales on X-books had stabilized to a point where maybe it didn't matter who was doing the art.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Edit: Wrong thread!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 18, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rick posted:

:hai:

He phoned Ultimates 3 the hell in, though.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JordanKai posted:

:hai:

He phoned Ultimates 3 the hell in, though.

I mean, if you read that script how hard would you work on it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

I mean, if you read that script how hard would you work on it?

"So Loeb wants me to draw the Wasp like she's... oh... uh, extremely touched by Wanda and Pietro's incest." *Joe's brain promptly checks out, wishes it was playing video games*

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

didn't joe mad forget that ultimate wasp is asian in that book

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

"So Loeb wants me to draw the Wasp like she's... oh... uh, extremely touched by Wanda and Pietro's incest." *Joe's brain promptly checks out, wishes it was playing video games*

I'm sure David Finch had the same reaction to the Wasp thing he was asked to draw for Ultimatum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

I forgot she was Asian and I liked the first two Ultimates books.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JordanKai posted:

I'm sure David Finch had the same reaction to the Wasp thing he was asked to draw for Ultimatum.

I think during one of his youtube streams he said something like he turned in a page that wasn't as graphic but they asked him to make it worse. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed drawing that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I think during one of his youtube streams he said something like he turned in a page that wasn't as graphic but they asked him to make it worse. He doesn't seem to have enjoyed drawing that.

"This A doesn't stand for France" aside, first two Ultimates books are really, really good.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

"This A doesn't stand for France" aside, first two Ultimates books are really, really good.

It's been years since I revisited them but... Millar making the Hank/Janet thing even more gross isn't great, nor is the lovely Cap/Janet thing. I feel like reading those books in TYOOL 2021 would make their questionable content in 2002 look even worse.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Ce 'A' signifie Avignon, Angers, Aix-en-Provence et Amiens, avec certitude!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

iirc, he also forgot Ultimate Mjolnir looked different and just gave Thor the 616 one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

iirc, he also forgot Ultimate Mjolnir looked different and just gave Thor the 616 one.

Has that shown up again since Volstagg briefly had it in the War of the Realms build-up?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Has that shown up again since Volstagg briefly had it in the War of the Realms build-up?

Didn’t it get changed into the weapon Jane currently has

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn’t it get changed into the weapon Jane currently has

When she became Valkyrie she wielded Undrjarn the All-weapon (it could shape shift into other weapons, I think because sometimes the artist felt like drawing a mace and sometimes a sword). I haven't read the digital only issue or the King in Black Valkyrie tie-in.

Edit: Double checking that was indeed made out of the Ultimate Mjolnir.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It was kind of weird how Ultimate Thor's Mjolnir turned Volstagg into War Thor, considering I thought Ultimate Thor was more of a hippie, but I could be wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
going through ultimates 3 can make any magic hammer go bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

going through ultimates 3 can make any magic hammer go bad.

And then it was a cop in Law and Thors

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TwoPair posted:

Hey, he was on a tight schedule, The Black Temple wasn't going to raid itself.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

TwoPair posted:

I never even realised that before, but yeah.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Kinda laughing about X-Men taking a full year to resume the vault story and then making you wait another month for the actual conclusion. Comic books!

I did find the note about mutants hitting breakthroughs on being resurrected to be a really interesting wrinkle, even if it hasn't been consistent in the slightest?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Kinda laughing about X-Men taking a full year to resume the vault story and then making you wait another month for the actual conclusion. Comic books!

I did find the note about mutants hitting breakthroughs on being resurrected to be a really interesting wrinkle, even if it hasn't been consistent in the slightest?

That was dissapointing; I like the focus on Synch. Bringing back characters like him is one of the highlights of the Hickman era and I like the take on him and his powers. Still, it feels like we just started this plot...but its been a year, we could have seen something more.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

radlum posted:

That was dissapointing; I like the focus on Synch. Bringing back characters like him is one of the highlights of the Hickman era and I like the take on him and his powers. Still, it feels like we just started this plot...but its been a year, we could have seen something more.

In slight fairness, there was a multiple month delay that had nothing to do with writers or artists or even the companies that publish what they write and draw..

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I have a question about Krakoa. Are there like, any mutant anti-krakoans or any mutants opposed to the idea of a mutant homeland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I have a question about Krakoa. Are there like, any mutant anti-krakoans or any mutants opposed to the idea of a mutant homeland?

namor