Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

sadly I've been informed you will now receive a $16,000 bill for heart-warming

they'll have to throw me in debtors prison an involuntary currency enforcement training seminar with an open-ended indefinite schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rectal Death Adept posted:

they'll have to throw me in debtors prison an involuntary currency enforcement training seminar with an open-ended indefinite schedule.

Live in Texas? You deserve slavery.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

lmao, what do these people do all day

rko
Jul 12, 2017
:d2a:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Vim Fuego posted:

lmao, what do these people do all day

Neera is probably doing a shitload of xanax

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1364268659313692672

psaki boooooooomb

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did the checks arrive yet

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Ok SUCC zone: I have a question.

It's been a week since the second impeachment trial crashed and burned.

During the senate part of the impeachment, the democrats decided to hold a vote to call witnesses. They won that vote. The plan to call witnesses, the decision to call the vote, and winning the vote were all widely publicized. But the democrats didn't call witnesses after winning the vote to call witnesses. They suddenly reversed course and ended the trial.

My question is: What is the Democrats official reasoning for why they decided to hold the vote to call witnesses, win it, and then not call witnesses?

I listened to the news, podcasts, interviews with the house impeachment manager that the democrats sent out to news orgs to spin the impeachment and this question was never actually answered. Their spokespeople and analysts who repeat their talking points talk about a lot of other topics. But never actually address the vote, win, reversal. The actions don't make any sense.

And I know the real reason they did it won't match up with their official reason. But I have never even heard an official reason for it. And it's kind of amazing to me that they didn't even bother to come up with an official reason for why they did it. So is there one?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The HHS standard.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Vim Fuego posted:

During the senate part of the impeachment, the democrats decided to hold a vote to call witnesses. They won that vote. The plan to call witnesses, the decision to call the vote, and winning the vote were all widely publicized. But the democrats didn't call witnesses after winning the vote to call witnesses. They suddenly reversed course and ended the trial.

My question is: What is the Democrats official reasoning for why they decided to hold the vote to call witnesses, win it, and then not call witnesses?

I listened to the news, podcasts, interviews with the house impeachment manager that the democrats sent out to news orgs to spin the impeachment and this question was never actually answered. Their spokespeople and analysts who repeat their talking points talk about a lot of other topics. But never actually address the vote, win, reversal. The actions don't make any sense.

And I know the real reason they did it won't match up with their official reason. But I have never even heard an official reason for it. And it's kind of amazing to me that they didn't even bother to come up with an official reason for why they did it. So is there one?

[Lie Bot "the end! No moral."]

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Universal guaranteed housing for undocumented minors

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

*joker-ishly* "We live in a facility"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1364257485939503109

Hillary Clinton To Poke Her Giant Unwanted Face Into Yet Another Cultural Medium

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

loquacius posted:

Hillary Clinton To Poke Her Giant Unwanted Face Into Yet Another Cultural Medium

Hillary Clinton is reportedly writing a political thriller about a fictional secretary of State who "joins the administration of her rival, a president inaugurated after four years of American leadership that shrank from the world stage."

"State of Terror," which the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee penned with her friend, mystery author Louise Penny, is poised to be released in October.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Vim Fuego posted:

they had to go home for valentine's day I believe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Hillary Clinton is reportedly writing a political thriller about a fictional secretary of State who "joins the administration of her rival, a president inaugurated after four years of American leadership that shrank from the world stage."

"State of Terror," which the 2016 Democratic presidential nominee penned with her friend, mystery author Louise Penny, is poised to be released in October.

oh boy I bet original fictional character Clillary Hinton will be written with plenty of nuance and fully fleshed out three-dimensionally rather than being an obvious wish-fulfillment vehicle for a known narcissist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm gonna be honest if you'd asked me which 2016 GE candidate would be first to write a book where an obvious self-insert beats up a bunch of bad guys I would have said Trump, but HRC once again beats all expectations

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lansdowne posted:

the cia partnership with amazon studios pays further dividends

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1363937443209220107

https://twitter.com/iamerrorgranby/status/1364275124556337153?s=20

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

SecDef Simulator: coming to Android and iOS this November

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Vim Fuego posted:

they won't offer any because no one will remember the 2nd impeachment within another week. i've already forgotten and had to read your post to remember.

loquacius posted:

secretary of state helen clifton has to find out why russian operatives keep trying to frame her husband william and best friend john goldstein for child rape.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bootleg Trunks posted:

That's just a working title.

The actual title will be, "Pokemon Go To the Morgue!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1364263941979987969

Neera has finally slept off her hangover and decided to lift the slightest tiniest finger to secure her own dream job instead of having it handed to her on a silver platter, by sucking up to rich people on the phone, which fortunately for her is her one skill

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Featuring villains Reth Sich, Fince Voster, and Sernie Banders

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Yeah they should've chosen to use the other, good Texas grid, instead of the bad one, those stupid hick trump voting fucks

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

I'm gonna be honest if you'd asked me which 2016 GE candidate would be first to write a book where an obvious self-insert beats up a bunch of bad guys I would have said Trump, but HRC once again beats all expectations

hillary so jealous that trump's fans write their own fanfiction for him that she hires a writer to do the same for her

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

lol I just noticed "co-write"

"have ghostwritten" wasn't subtle enough obviously

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

the reason floated around lib talking points, which is as close as you can get to official without an official reason, is that they didn't have the votes, and thus it was actually Good Politics to stop dragging things out so they can concentrate on relief for americans

this is of course dumb as hell because they both started the impeachment to begin with and immediately went on vacation, but that was the reason

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Bootleg Trunks posted:

clicked on the link because I was CERTAIN this was a joke

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I would make jokes about whether the real author co-author of that book really IS Hillary Clinton's friend rather than a hired ghostwriter, but, I actually don't doubt that Hillary Clinton is friends with a mystery author named Louise Penny, it's pretty on-brand

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Featuring villains Reth Sich, Fince Voster, and Sernie Banders

Christ, I miss Michael Brooks' take on Bill Clinton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn-UPcXbmj0

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

When do they vote on neera

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/bigbrobrah/status/1269436673751990273?s=19

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bootleg Trunks posted:

the time to vote is getting neera

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Somebody was saying they'll withdraw her nomination rather than let her fail, but hopefully they're wrong and she'll eat poo poo publicly.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

look, we have this immigrant cruelty machine built and just sitting here. what are we supposed to do, not use it??

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Yinlock posted:

the reason floated around lib talking points, which is as close as you can get to official without an official reason, is that they didn't have the votes, and thus it was actually Good Politics to stop dragging things out so they can concentrate on relief for americans

this is of course dumb as hell because they both started the impeachment to begin with and immediately went on vacation, but that was the reason

That's my understanding. But if that were the real reason, the point at which the democrats would have made the decision not to call witnesses would have been way before they decided to have a vote to call witnesses.

I'm imagining how this will be taught in retrospect. Like, think about documentaries on the nixon impeachment, how they follow the procedural maneuvers. If there is anyone that bothers to talk about this idiocy, they'll be like "And then the democrats decided to hold a vote to call witnesses. They won the vote, and were able to call witnesses. Then sex-bomb senator chris coons, 5'1 380lb, [img-chris_coons_booty], pointed out it was valentines day and they all had appointments for some deep dicking they had to make, and they decided that they wouldn't call witnesses and would instead go home for some well deserved sucking and loving. They justified this decision after the fact by saying that republicans wouldn't vote to impeach trump. The public accepted this reasoning even though it was an obvious lie because they didn't care. Even though it was obvious before, during, after the impeachment and forever that republicans wouldn't vote to impeach trump. So that can't be the real reason the democrats didn't call witnesses after holding and winning the vote to call witnesses."

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I tried finding the original tweet, which would be better than a screenshot of the Miami Herald tweet, and only searched as far back as finding

https://twitter.com/alextdaugherty/status/1364251152158703617

retweeted by the Miami Herald

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bootleg Trunks posted:

That's fake, that's like an onion article.

Wait what the gently caress

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

loquacius posted:

lol Kevin Spacey will be cast as the star role, rehabilitating him once again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

no see previously the cages were kept in a building, not a facility