Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

shadow puppet of a posted:

Very sad to learn of the senseless mountaintop passing of Alexander Doba on reddit and not here because you terds wont shut up about lame filler tv on Netflix and wont get back to celebrating wholly unnecessary gloryhound peril fetishists getting their lumps.

A septuagenarian dying of hape on the child mountain for children. Big whoop. Should've stuck to literal sea level.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how the gently caress do you cross the atlantic in a kayak? just aim for getting carried on currents? you have to sleep, right?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

punishedkissinger posted:

how the gently caress do you cross the atlantic in a kayak? just aim for getting carried on currents? you have to sleep, right?

You have to use the bathroom as well and that seems a lot more precarious.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

You have a hole in the bottom you dangle your butthole out for pooping and can also double as a fishing hole

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bright Bart posted:

You have to use the bathroom as well and that seems a lot more precarious.

A kayak and a sock are topologically indistinguishable.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Potato Salad posted:

A kayak and a sock are topologically indistinguishable.

Socks are porous and therefore have thousands of holes.

A garbage bag might be a better analogy.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Outrail posted:

Socks are porous and therefore have thousands of holes.

A garbage bag might be a better analogy.

:hmmyes:

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Dude just climbed up a mountain and died

quote:

The wild-bearded Polish super-kayaker Aleksander Doba died as he lived, in pursuit of adventure, passing away on the very summit of Mount Kilimanjaro at the age of 74.

Doba’s wizened but muscular frame and ancient, friendly face became familiar not just to the adventure world but to mainstream audiences when he kayaked across the Atlantic in 2017 at the age of 70 and became the first person to cross that ocean three times.

He was climbing Kili as part of a group but he split off to go at his own pace with his guides. He was not showing any symptoms of altitude sickness and he was in good spirits, his guides reported. When they met others near the first peak of Kilimanjaro, he told them he felt in great shape, shouted, “Wild Africa!”, and said that he was happy.

As Doba and his two guides reached the summit, Doba sat down to rest for a moment. He then lost consciousness. Efforts to resuscitate him failed, and he died shortly afterward. In such situations, a heart attack is often the cause, although we won’t be sure for some days.

Who knows how true this account is but that sounds like a pretty dope life and a satisfying ending to it.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
RIP old mountaineer

Check out his kayak for one of his Atlantic voyages

I now want a kayak with a sleeping area.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Switchback posted:

Who knows how true this account is but that sounds like a pretty dope life and a satisfying ending to it.

That's the best possible way for someone like that to go out, I think.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
really is some jedi sitting down and fading into nothingness poo poo

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Switchback posted:

I hope and pray that my passing is as peaceful. Climb a mountain in good spirits, feeling good, sit down to rest and bam you're gone. No nursing home, no strangers wiping your rear end, no seeing the stress in your kids eyes as they labor to feed and house and care for you. A clean ending on your own terms.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not Mount Saveamanjaro

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

As he was clearly a high CON and medium WIS character I choose to believe that when he cast "Wild Africa!" he skinchanged into a wildebeest.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Phy posted:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Phy posted:

lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Phy posted:

:golfclap:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Dear Watson posted:

RIP old mountaineer

Check out his kayak for one of his Atlantic voyages

I now want a kayak with a sleeping area.

It's like a goddamned coffin.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I like enclosed spaces. Although I bet that is a vomit factory during a storm

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would like to try it out in a storm. Years of family vacations that consisted of driving everywhere and me sleeping all the time has trained my brain to fall asleep when in a car as well as ignore my vestibular system so I don't really get motion sickness and have terrible balance.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Lol at the title, thank you

Uncle Enzo posted:

I hope and pray that my passing is as peaceful. Climb a mountain in good spirits, feeling good, sit down to rest and bam you're gone. No nursing home, no strangers wiping your rear end, no seeing the stress in your kids eyes as they labor to feed and house and care for you. A clean ending on your own terms.

I can definitely see the appeal here, and the nice thing about being dead is you don't have to feel ashamed at making someone haul your dead rear end all the way down the tallest mountain in Africa

No part of that sentence is intended as sarcasm

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cojawfee posted:

I would like to try it out in a storm. Years of family vacations that consisted of driving everywhere and me sleeping all the time has trained my brain to fall asleep when in a car as well as ignore my vestibular system so I don't really get motion sickness and have terrible balance.

Huh. I very rarely get motion sickness and am also a clumsy unbalanced person. Is this a recognized thing? Just need one more data point to establish a rock solid inarguable correlation before we publish.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Outrail posted:

Huh. I very rarely get motion sickness and am also a clumsy unbalanced person. Is this a recognized thing? Just need one more data point to establish a rock solid inarguable correlation before we publish.

My friend has very good balance and instantly gets sick in VR, so I figured it must be an inner ear thing.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am clumsy, but have good balance, and never get motion sick. We can start making some extremely conclusive analysis at this point.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The Walrus posted:

I am clumsy, but have good balance, and never get motion sick. We can start making some extremely conclusive analysis at this point.

You just hosed my P value.

I mean, this seems like an outlier we can safely discard from the data set.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I wonder if the old dude had croaked in the Everest summit, would they leave his corpse in the summit or drag his corpse all the way back? I understand that the Nepalis won't (probably) just toss him down the mountain...

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody gets brought down.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I feel like someone would shove him out of the way if he were at the summit. can't be ruining anyone's selfie.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Would just they leave corpses at the very summit, though? I'd thought they at least hide it somewhere.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Stack them shits up on top of green boots and be able to claim the highest summit record

You could even make a rival summit made of bodies. Charge admission.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Space Kablooey posted:

Would just they leave corpses at the very summit, though? I'd thought they at least hide it somewhere.

My understanding is that they try to push corpses off the main routes and into crevasses or other such hiding places whenever possible. Not sure why Green Boots didn't get the same treatment for so long, but they'd definitely do that for anyone who died near the summit nowadays.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I have pretty good balance, never get motion sick on boat or in car but can get motion sick from VR

Would I survive a trip to Everest base camp?

Edit: have bad knees

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Walrus posted:

Nobody gets brought down.

Yeah, I assumed he got brought down from Kilimanjaro because it's a whole lot lower and it's a hike down with no climbing. Possibly they could have helicoptered him down as well, or walked him down partway and choppered the rest. None of the articles I found said anything one way or another.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Space Kablooey posted:

I wonder if the old dude had croaked in the Everest summit, would they leave his corpse in the summit or drag his corpse all the way back? I understand that the Nepalis won't (probably) just toss him down the mountain...

Azathoth posted:

My understanding is that they try to push corpses off the main routes and into crevasses or other such hiding places whenever possible. Not sure why Green Boots didn't get the same treatment for so long, but they'd definitely do that for anyone who died near the summit nowadays.

If somebody died on the very top, their body would get blown off by the wind at some point regardless of what humans wanted to do with it. Bodies like green boots stick around because they happen to be in particular spots where they won't get blown off by wind, avalanched off by snow, or fall off as part of a rock fall.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dear Watson posted:

I have pretty good balance, never get motion sick on boat or in car but can get motion sick from VR

Pro tip: go from the Tibetan side, you can literally drive all the way there except for the last half hour or so, on the Friendship Highway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dear Watson posted:

First to climb Everest while wearing a VR headset.

Note: Actually physically climb Everest, but wearing a gps enabled VR headset with a recreation of the Everest climb for an Augmented Reality improvement on the mundane scenery.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Hololive vr live via Everest would make China so angry.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Outrail posted:

First to climb Everest while wearing a VR headset.

Note: Actually physically climb Everest, but wearing a gps enabled VR headset with a recreation of the Everest climb for an Augmented Reality improvement on the mundane scenery.

My oculus is wireless and the battery only lasts like 2 hours so I’ll have to stop often to charge. Both the vr and my knees will need recharging.

How many Totinos can my Sherpa carry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
If I could pick the mountain I’d die on I’d probably have to go with Cerro Torre. K2 i would feel like just another statistic