Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dumb question, if PTR is already up does it means we can expect season 23 to begin in about two weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
These follower changes are going to make going from single to multiplayer really jarring. Everyone having double duration pylons, double death's breath drops, nemesis bracers all the time and then someone joins your game and poof.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Angry Lobster posted:

Dumb question, if PTR is already up does it means we can expect season 23 to begin in about two weeks?

It goes up on Thursday, they're planning on 2 weeks of PTR, and there's generally a little over a week after PTR before they end a season, so expect s22 to end 3 weeks from Sunday at earliest, then a week or so later we'll get s23 starting.

edit: the solution to sudden multiplayer is to turn off quickjoin like a sane person

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Those follower changes to let them wear items to give you the effect is amazing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

It goes up on Thursday, they're planning on 2 weeks of PTR, and there's generally a little over a week after PTR before they end a season, so expect s22 to end 3 weeks from Sunday at earliest, then a week or so later we'll get s23 starting.

edit: the solution to sudden multiplayer is to turn off quickjoin like a sane person

Thanks a lot, didn't remember what's the usual schedule. I was thinking about starting a season necro, as I haven't played them much, however I'm going to wait until next season starts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like the proposed changes to Rathma and Firebird too, although I wish they had gone with something different than yet another channeled ability for the Wiz. It's gonna be weird putting Revive on the hotbar for the first time since 2017. Necro finally gets a dedicated pet build.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i never went back to firebird after giving it an earnest go once

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Sweet. D3 followers were so much less interesting than in D2.

No season buff, or did I miss it?

Doesn’t look like there is one

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This will be a huge boost in solo efficiency compared to multiplayer which is real nice but I am slightly bummed that it means no season theme and comes at the expense of multiplayer changes. At the same time its a good signifier of things to come and scope of changes they are willing to make. Plus solo players comparatively have been getting the shaft for long that its good they are getting love.

Honestly makes me really interested in what season 24 will be.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
The follower stuff is for non-season as well, so I wouldn't read into it as being the seasonal theme. PTR test for a week or so, second wave of PTR changes (incoming rathma nerf), with seasonal theme announced a week before s24 probably

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
Hell, they could just announce that they're running back the s20 cube changes as a token theme and I'd be happy.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Seasonal themes are included in the patch notes and get put up on the ptr. The dev cycles for the seasonal "theme" for season 23 is the follower rework.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

GTJustin posted:

The follower stuff is for non-season as well, so I wouldn't read into it as being the seasonal theme. PTR test for a week or so, second wave of PTR changes (incoming rathma nerf), with seasonal theme announced a week before s24 probably

The patch notes said permanent.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh nice, the follower stuff sounds amazing. I know you probably can't actually see the equipped items on the followers, that would be a bit much to ask of the modelling department, but it's really cool regardless. That will inject a few more hundreds of hours of life into the game for me.

Wonder if they're trying it out for Diablo 4. Sometimes some games like to try out new features like that at the end of its life for the next one.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
This is insane. I feel power creep is inadequate to describe the ability to basically get 12 new unique effects.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Flavor of Time and Nemesis are the only real power creep items. Everything else are minor QoL changes. I doubt this will increase people's capabilities by more than a couple GR levels. Faster farming and what not is real nice though.

e: Just noticed they gave Blackthorne's Legs elemental damage. No more jumping through hoops trying to get Swampland Waders.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 24, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wizard gimmick build from RoS launch when you cast EB and held teleport with Homing Pads is gonna make a comeback.

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
I want to do a full meme Asheara's / arcstone build now. If I'm reading correctly, the followers would benefit from the Asheara's set bonus? But it would not "carry over" to your character, via the new effect? Look out, GR 30!
I hope they eventually introduce a way to re-roll main stat into a desired stat. IE let me reroll my int gear to strength for my templar, etc.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

paid money to post posted:

I hope they eventually introduce a way to re-roll main stat into a desired stat. IE let me reroll my int gear to strength for my templar, etc.

You can do this already. You just have to use the Mystic/Cube on an alt that has Strength as a mainstat instead of int. Even a level one barbarian (or whatever else) is fine to do that.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
still requires a free character slot to make an alt, a toggle in the reroll interface would be a nice addition

paid money to post posted:

If I'm reading correctly, the followers would benefit from the Asheara's set bonus?

afaik set bonuses don't work on followers the same way legendary gem effects don't, and I see nothing in the patch notes to indicate that will change

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The follower changes may make me come back because one thing I always missed from D2 was feeling like i was actually gearing my follower. Miss you Waheed.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006

bamhand posted:

Flavor of Time and Nemesis are the only real power creep items. Everything else are minor QoL changes. I doubt this will increase people's capabilities by more than a couple GR levels. Faster farming and what not is real nice though.

Flavor alone is worth more than a couple levels if you're willing to fish for a conduit to kill the RG. High pushes on strong trash killing builds can easily spend 5+ minutes on a RG fight, cutting that down to just over 1 minute is huge game.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lid posted:

The follower changes may make me come back because one thing I always missed from D2 was feeling like i was actually gearing my follower. Miss you Waheed.

Waheed on eastern sun was my best bro.

I'm just excited for the farming. Y'all don't know how many times I've went into a GR with t16 speed gear.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: at this Diablo Immortal interview

quote:

Android Police: When Diablo Immortal was announced, there was a rumor circulating that it was built on top of an existing mobile ARPG, often known as a re-skin. Can you dispel this myth? Was it completely false?

Wyatt Cheng: This might be a surprise, but no one’s ever actually asked me directly. I will absolutely say categorically, that is totally false.

And I don't think that we were really in a position to tell people that it was false 'cause people... That's just how human psychology works. Like they say, "Hey, this looks like a reskin." We say no. They're like, "Oh, well, now, you're also a liar." [chuckle] Well, people will believe what they wanna believe at a time like that. But I think if you look at the game and you look at technical alpha, and you look at how long we've been working at it, and how much love we've poured into the game, and how it controls, how there's no autoplay. I don't, I didn't even know where to start, it's just we have been building this game from the ground up to be a triple A Diablo experience.

Android Police: That’s good to hear. Okay, so there’s absolutely no code in this from anything else, it’s all completely from the ground up, yes?

Wyatt Cheng: Well, it does use an engine that NetEase owns.
Game engines are standard practice in the game industry, whether some commonly known ones would be like Unity or Unreal are very well-known. NetEase has an engine called the Messiah engine.

Android Police: So this is more an in-house engine?

Wyatt Cheng: It is an in-house engine, but using an engine is standard practice in our industry these days. It's no different. It's a lot different from a reskin, which would be taking the existing game design, and loops, and storyline, or whatever else. That's definitely not the case, but we were working with an engine.[/chuckle]

quote:

Wyatt Cheng: What's really interesting is we have a much lower drop rate than Diablo III, and that's intentional. We want it to feel like, "Hey, I got a legendary item! This is awesome!" We want legendary items to feel special, but part of feeling special is that you're not being showered by them constantly. And so what we did see a lot of is, "Oh, I got this legendary item. I didn't even know this legendary

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don’t get it?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
He's right, licensing an engine has nothing to do with a reskin.

That drop rate comment is channeling some Jay Wilson bullshit though. Not 100% saying it'll be the same but given the legacy Immortal is coming from that's either poor or at minimum incomplete phrasing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Dameius posted:

He's right, licensing an engine has nothing to do with a reskin.

This is kinda what I was thinking. I didn't see anything silly or contradictory in what the dude was saying. It's like saying Fallout 4 is a reskin of Civilization IV or something.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
All movies are just reskins because they're all made with earth physics.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Never knew the Final Fantasy 7 Remake was a reskin of Tetris Effect.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

They tried lowering the loot drops in WoW Shadowlands and just about everyone hated it. Amazing that they're running full speed into the same mistake.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When I think about Diablo I think loot scarcity.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
This obsession with trying to satisfy/appeal to D2 grognards is going to force Blizzard into so many unforced errors in Immortal and D4. I'm not saying they should be appealing to us D3 nerds either. They just need to make the game that they want to make and drat the consequences. Unfortunately that era of Blizzard has long since pass and the scars of vanilla D3 run too deep.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Not directly D3 related but Last Epoch has an enchanting system where each reroll (or rather the game's equivalent of a reroll) has a chance to make your item un-rerollable or even break the item period. Any threads I found with complaints about the mechanic have people crawling out of the woodwork saying it's a great system and really rewards decision making with a high risk high reward system. This is a game where I can play for 30 minutes and maybe find a single item that, if properly rerolled, would be an upgrade. Then it breaks on the very first roll on a 75% success rate.

Anyways, I suppose people who love that system also love loot scarcity!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I just picked this up on switch because it's on sale. Played a few years ago but never played a necromancer. It plays so well! And it's fun as poo poo!

I also love PoE but for different reasons. It really seems like they got combat down very well in D3. I'm just leisurely going through the story (still bad, but I find myself not giving a poo poo) this week and necro is very fun.

What are the standout sets for next season? I'm not really familiar with them anymore.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dameius posted:

This obsession with trying to satisfy/appeal to D2 grognards is going to force Blizzard into so many unforced errors in Immortal and D4. I'm not saying they should be appealing to us D3 nerds either. They just need to make the game that they want to make and drat the consequences. Unfortunately that era of Blizzard has long since pass and the scars of vanilla D3 run too deep.

Essentially they're mad that user segment is playing PoE or something similar and not A Blizzard Product.

So instead of expanding on and improving the ARPG niche that RoS carved out, they're doubling down on regression.

It's dumb but it is what it is.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

External Organs posted:

I just picked this up on switch because it's on sale. Played a few years ago but never played a necromancer. It plays so well! And it's fun as poo poo!

I also love PoE but for different reasons. It really seems like they got combat down very well in D3. I'm just leisurely going through the story (still bad, but I find myself not giving a poo poo) this week and necro is very fun.

What are the standout sets for next season? I'm not really familiar with them anymore.

Everything is good. I would suggest looking at the build guides at maxroll.gg for a play style you like and giving it a go. This season marks the start of rolling the new class set for each class into the official rotation. They are changing the leaderboard reporting for next season so you can now have set specific filters so if you are looking to play something competitive that is now opened up to everything rather than the top 1 or 2 meta builds.

e:

Kyrosiris posted:

Essentially they're mad that user segment is playing PoE or something similar and not A Blizzard Product.

So instead of expanding on and improving the ARPG niche that RoS carved out, they're doubling down on regression.

It's dumb but it is what it is.

Yeah no one comes close to competing against RoS at what RoS does well and it gives them a really solid base to start iterating and expanding off of but they seem hell bent on not using it so :shrug:. Like you said, it is what it is.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 25, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I hate chance to break gambling mechanics, but I wouldn't so categorically rule scarcer loot outdated or bad design.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I agree, loot scarcity shouldn't be a burden but there comes a point in diablo where it would be nice to have a "prevent non-ancient items from dropping" checkbox or something. How many identified items do you actually end up equipping on an end-game character? If it's like 1% or less then loot filters would be a welcome addition I think.

palindrome fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 25, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

When I think about Diablo I think loot scarcity.

It's madness. Diablo 3 got good the moment they decided to rain loot on the player 24/7, how do they not get that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

stev posted:

It's madness. Diablo 3 got good the moment they decided to rain loot on the player 24/7, how do they not get that?

I disagree. Diablo 3 is not, and has never been, particularly good. What was fun in diablo 2 for me was beating hell solo self found with various character builds, and most of the time I ended up wearing a mix of blue and yellow items with maybe one or two uniques/runewords. I've tried the loot farming endgame of both diablo 3 and path of exile, and I don't really see the appeal.