Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

I have hit a wall where I either progress solo because my IRL friends have gotten back to real-life stuff and can't put in the time, or I find a new group. I'm in the iron age but am probably ready to move forward, I just feel weird doing it solo. If anyone wants someone who is very comfortable helping you navigate the swamp but isn't quite ready to kill the third boss, I'm down to help others out or even progress if you've got a server or group of people (I have a dedicated but I will probably keep it for my IRL friends for the occasion they do get on).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
it took us several days of coordinating to get iron out of the swamps

after we downed bonemass it took one person four hours to haul ~60 silver ores back to base. the swamp difficulty ramp is insane

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

How? Iron isn't complicated.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

raverrn posted:

Depends on your seed really. If you get lucky with swamps full of crypts that are easy to find, I agree, it's not that bad once you figure out how to deal with the various mobs. If you are unlucky and have to constantly sail around the world to find crypts, it can be rough, especially if you don't know to avoid swamps connected to plains at all costs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Iron is easy, but for a group of people that are on bronze and probably haven't upgraded everything to the max because greydwarves and trolls don't really need great gear, navigating the swamp is a huge wakeup call.

That's about when people realize that food and mead is important too, prior to that there's not really any gear checks.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
well this is annoying: took my karve out to a new black forest site and got caught between a troll cave and a greydwarf nest which annoyed a troll, several brutes, shamans and assorted hangers on. While kiting around my campfire, the troll ran into my boat and pushed it up into a sandbar. Then I died.

Grind for another karve, then try to retrieve my boat. New bronze axe, bronze armor and troll pants. A ton of flint and fire arrows for my bow. Feeling good. This time, while sniping at my enemies from the boat, graydwarves just saunter into the ocean, throw rocks into my boat from underwater, then manage to clip into my boat and walk it back to shore. Meanwhile I'm desperately taking an axe to the loving dwarf's head as it spasms in and out of my boat. This doesn't damage the enemy or my boat for some reason. So this rear end in a top hat sea-saunters his way back to his friends, where a troll throws a rock through the crowd (doing no damage to them) but shattering my karve and killing the gently caress outta me. Now my newest marker is... at the bottom of the ocean somewhere?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

boo_radley posted:

Now my newest marker is... at the bottom of the ocean somewhere?

Haven't seen it myself but people have said they float on the water.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

xzzy posted:

Iron is easy, but for a group of people that are on bronze and probably haven't upgraded everything to the max because greydwarves and trolls don't really need great gear, navigating the swamp is a huge wakeup call.

That's about when people realize that food and mead is important too, prior to that there's not really any gear checks.

Yeah I've noticed watching streams that groups who are just rushing through the game focusing on downing bosses as fast as possible hit the swamp wall much harder than those who are taking their time. When we got to the Swamp we had fully upgraded gear, the best food, and had put quite a bit of time into the game already (mostly farming and base building), so it didn't feel as bad. The exception was probably poison, we hadn't thought to bring resist potions the first time but never made that mistake again.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

pik_d posted:

Haven't seen it myself but people have said they float on the water.

Maybe it's still clipped inside that son of a bitch graydwarf

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Overture posted:

I have hit a wall where I either progress solo because my IRL friends have gotten back to real-life stuff and can't put in the time, or I find a new group. I'm in the iron age but am probably ready to move forward, I just feel weird doing it solo. If anyone wants someone who is very comfortable helping you navigate the swamp but isn't quite ready to kill the third boss, I'm down to help others out or even progress if you've got a server or group of people (I have a dedicated but I will probably keep it for my IRL friends for the occasion they do get on).

Want to hop on my Google cloud server? It's just me and a couple other people, who both hit iron age but I haven't done the second boss

Speaking of tough times, since I lost my karve when I was about to put a portal on the elders landmass - can I cross the ocean in a raft? Or is it gonna get owned by sea serpents? I can go mine copper again for nails if I have to

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 24, 2021

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

boo_radley posted:

well this is annoying: took my karve out to a new black forest site and got caught between a troll cave and a greydwarf nest which annoyed a troll, several brutes, shamans and assorted hangers on. While kiting around my campfire, the troll ran into my boat and pushed it up into a sandbar. Then I died.

Grind for another karve, then try to retrieve my boat. New bronze axe, bronze armor and troll pants. A ton of flint and fire arrows for my bow. Feeling good. This time, while sniping at my enemies from the boat, graydwarves just saunter into the ocean, throw rocks into my boat from underwater, then manage to clip into my boat and walk it back to shore. Meanwhile I'm desperately taking an axe to the loving dwarf's head as it spasms in and out of my boat. This doesn't damage the enemy or my boat for some reason. So this rear end in a top hat sea-saunters his way back to his friends, where a troll throws a rock through the crowd (doing no damage to them) but shattering my karve and killing the gently caress outta me. Now my newest marker is... at the bottom of the ocean somewhere?

This doesn't really help you now, but when I sail to a new island I find a meadow biome close to where I actually want to go and build a structure/bed/portal (with a connectable portal waiting at my home base), so that if I die in the harder biome it's easy enough to recover. This is specifically to avoid the situation you are now in, which definitely sucks the first time. I also never bring my boat close to danger, I keep it close to the meadow structure and run stuff back and forth just like I would at my home base.

mastershakeman posted:

Want to hop on my Google cloud server? It's just me and a couple other people, who both hit iron age but I haven't done the second boss

Sure! What time zone is the server located in? One thing I've noticed is that ping very much matters in this game when it comes to server sync issues. I'm on the west coast.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Overture posted:

This doesn't really help you now, but when I sail to a new island I find a meadow biome close to where I actually want to go and build a structure/bed/portal (with a connectable portal waiting at my home base), so that if I die in the harder biome it's easy enough to recover. This is specifically to avoid the situation you are now in, which definitely sucks the first time. I also never bring my boat close to danger, I keep it close to the meadow structure and run stuff back and forth just like I would at my home base.

yeah, I didn't realize that the enemy spawns were there the first time, they were over a hill & I couldn't see them at all. :sigh: Odin teaches us all the lessons we need to learn, I suppose.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Haha yeah, enemies seem to hear you doing almost anything from a mile away. At first, I thought it was just mining/chopping, but building seems to attract them as well.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Is there a reason my pigs wont breed past 5 of them? Are they tied to pen size somehow?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Overture posted:

Sure! What time zone is the server located in? One thing I've noticed is that ping very much matters in this game when it comes to server sync issues. I'm on the west coast.

central. is there a goon discord for this because there really needs to be one, otherwise i'll need to buy PMs

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I spend more time running around looking for boars for leather scraps than anything

got any tips for farming leather or finding boars?

is there a way to tell in what direction a particular biome can be found? The only black forest areas I've come across are on a couple of islands where I get killed pretty quickly... then I have to build another loving raft to get back there

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not outside of just exploring, no.

If your island lacks a Black Forest entirely, you should relocate to one that has both a Forest and Meadows and just build a new base there. Rafts are so stupid and it's not worth spending time on them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
What's the best way to get gold for ymir flesh? Troll farming?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

isaboo posted:

I spend more time running around looking for boars for leather scraps than anything

is there a way to tell in what direction a particular biome can be found? The only black forest areas I've come across are on a couple of islands where I get killed pretty quickly... then I have to build another loving raft to get back there

There are sites that you can upload your world to that show you the whole map, I just did this and found out my trader is about as far away as possible (most easterly and westerly islands) This link should work to show you my world so you can see how much you'll see before you do your own:

https://valheim.hedren.dev/W2io6IB6OaEOkJZZd9AQ6IHqE75xIefyzlCsaQK_NRs

Click on the squares to see what each thing is.

Edit: After looking closer I see more trader squares in better locations

Edit2: Compare that to my in game full map (created a second character to reveal the map for this, not gonna have it full revealed when playing)

https://i.imgur.com/4S5ZHB7.jpg

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 25, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

isaboo posted:

find the edge of a meadow/forest biome near water, and look for a copper deposit. put your base there in the meadow area. i dont even know if being in meadow vs forest matters if you're on the edge but might as well

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

isaboo posted:

Boars tend to spawn near runstones that talk about them, from my understanding.

Then they will glitch out of their pen and wander off after you tame them.

Cooked on Phonics
Mar 31, 2007

I jack off in odd time signatures.
A buddy and fellow goon put together a map generator. Very much a work in progress, but might be useful for some people.

https://valheim.hedren.dev/

Edit: Saw this just got posted. Nevermind then.

Cooked on Phonics fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 25, 2021

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Echophonic posted:

What's the best way to get gold for ymir flesh? Troll farming?

burial chambers/crypts, you get a ton of stuff you can sell to the vendor (moreso the burial chambers imo plus you get surtling cores for an ever-expanding portal network)

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!
If you guys ever see the a plume of flame that spawns suterings(little fire guys) in the swamp. You can dig into water around it and then when a fire dude spawns it dies in the water. If you put a portal near by and teleport back you basically have a sulter core spawn because the fire dudes drop it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
A few pages ago but someone said you cannot put a fire on stone and he rose the ground up to make a tower have a fire—you absolutely can if you do a stone floor tile. Not a wall tile, but floor tile. I do it all the time to make hearths.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

raverrn posted:

it took us like 2 or 3 IRL days to find a swamp biome with crypts in it, then another one or two days to coordinate the forward base+portal, gear upgrades, mining out the actual crypts, and then shipping them back. a day after that we killed bonemass.

for silver we waltzed up the mountain west of our main base, turned the wishbone on, and found 60+ silver ores in one spot.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

pik_d posted:

*removed map screenshot*

could you spoil this? some of us don’t know what’s at the poles. i didn’t want this spoiled for me, personally

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

dialhforhero posted:

A few pages ago but someone said you cannot put a fire on stone and he rose the ground up to make a tower have a fire—you absolutely can if you do a stone floor tile. Not a wall tile, but floor tile. I do it all the time to make hearths.

I do too but I couldn't get the bonfire to fit on it so I raised the ground up. I dunno if they can be placed on those tiles normally either

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

PIZZA.BAT posted:

could you spoil this? some of us don’t know what’s at the poles. i didn’t want this spoiled for me, personally

Done, and my bad. I'd seen people talk about it already so didn't realize it wasn't ok.

Edit: If it's any consolation the poles are apparently unfinished so no one really knows whats gonna be there

pik_d fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 25, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, I made a new character to try out going full daggers (and some bow, for serpents mostly). Killed Eikthyr, and found a tablet for the Elder which put him on the next island over.
Made a Karve to sail over and check it out, turns out it had:
1: A massive swamp biome just behind the Elder arena, and
2: The trader

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
More than bronze or anything else, the one thing I wish had a cheaper materials cost is Raise Ground.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

SquirrelGrip posted:

We built a pool with a viewing platform and gate doors out to the ocean and dragged a serpent in with the harpoon. Viking SeaWorld is open folks.

Goddamn this and the car loving own , stuff like this needs to get put in the op

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Jusupov posted:

I mainly listened to Hulkoff for my playthrough, very appropriate for the theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbsc-3T6o4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih-gTGGBvkU

This owns and the comment that called them amon amarth + sabaton is the most accurate description of a band I've ever seen

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
PSA: you can put food on item holders to add some flavor to your home

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

E: ^^^ Those puppers are going to steal your sausages the minute your back is turned.

Wonder where they're going to put the other biome, and if it will require a map reset once it's in. At least I think there's only one more, since we have 5 functional, 3 that I've heard of that are in the world but empty (mistlands, ashlands, and deep north), and they've said they plan 9 total.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The swamp is a difficulty ramp but mainly because it's the first biome that requires you to engage all of the game's systems. You'll need to be using carrot soup, jam, and cooked meat. You'll need to utilize sleep to avoid the swamp at night. You NEED the rested buff and you'll wanted the best arrows you can craft. You'll need to pick the right damage type to deal with the right enemies. The fact that you kind of have to engage everything is cool and good, worth the shock of coming out of the relatively easy black forest and getting owned, and it prepares you to take the next 2 biomes more seriously.

You can just kind of brute Force the Dark Forest, but you can't really with the swamp. I think it's cool for that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

BobTheJanitor posted:

E: ^^^ Those puppers are going to steal your sausages the minute your back is turned.

Wonder where they're going to put the other biome, and if it will require a map reset once it's in. At least I think there's only one more, since we have 5 functional, 3 that I've heard of that are in the world but empty (mistlands, ashlands, and deep north), and they've said they plan 9 total.
Most likely the 9th biome is the Ocean. Though it could be neat to see how they expand on that, especially the boss.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

BobTheJanitor posted:

Possibly an underwater biome?

e:fb

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How do different arrow types work?
If I have both wooden and flint arrows which will be used? I didn't see an equip option for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

isaboo posted:

How do different arrow types work?
If I have both wooden and flint arrows which will be used? I didn't see an equip option for them

Right click the ones you want to use or put them on a hotkey and press the key.