Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Just thought of another one - the Star Trek helmet showing up in Lower Decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Watch Everything

:hmmyes:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 24, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

piratepilates posted:

The fun thing about watching Ship in a bottle before Elementary, Dear Data is that you finish the latter knowing there's no happy ending, they don't find a happy resolution for Moriarty, they just forget about him for 4 years and don't give a poo poo about him.

I assumed the matrix was immediately shipped off to the Daystrom Institute.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've naturally seen ST eps on TV and stuff over the years. Last time I was considering really hunkering down and watching all of the shows, I was told most ST is so episodic that I should skip a lot of stuff and just watch the good eps. This was mainly for TOS and TNG, IIRC.

What do you all think of that strategy?

Rob Rockley posted:

For TNG at least, just watch. Skip if you get real bored or hate an episode. I went through TNG 1+2 with a watchlist a couple months back and regret skipping most of the ones I skipped cause it turns out most of the episodes are actually decent and it’s impossible to predict exactly which episodes someone will like.

Even the bad ones are usually funny in a b movie sense, and while they hadn’t figured out at that point how to characterize the cast there’s still a lot of setup.

Hard agree, for the simple reason of, do you trust everything you read on the internet? Watch lists are for boring people. You're an adult, I presume: be interesting, enjoy what you want instead of what you're told you should. Yeah, you're going to watch some bad episodes, there are a lot of them. But you won't know which ones you will think are bad until you see them.

I would say even before reaching the question of "is this good or bad," try to get into the frame of mind (as far as possible) of a viewer in the '60s or the '80s or whatever. That may be harder if you didn't grow up with it, and I'm not saying "think sexist - no, more than that... no, keep going." I just mean there's certain things about it which are undeniably tied to the time it was made, while other parts are timeless, and if you can view it in the same sense as reading a classic novel or watching a silent film, finding those timeless parts is a lot easier if the dated stuff is just taken at face value instead of filtered through a 2020s lens. To watch it as a show instead of continuously critiquing it. That has its place, I just think that place is in reflection afterward, not deflection while watching, if you see what I mean.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Last time I was watching a bunch of Next Generation, I looked through lists of episodes where Klingons, Romulans, and Cardassians because I wanted to see their whole deal and I didn't want to commit to watching the whole series only to fizzle out halfway through season 2, I wanted a good representational slice.

Back when I was watching a bunch of classic Dr. Who, I was cross-referencing with a list of best and worst episodes/serials/whatever to figure what to skip. It's fine to decide that you're not gonna be completionist about the whole thing and skim and skip, and the neat thing about an episode taking a whole hour is that it's pretty easy to justify like a minute of reading to see if it's worth it.

skasion posted:

Canon is a myth. I believe in Giant Spock and no one can stop me

The only proper response to questions about canon is to assemble something in your own head and not to give a gently caress about what stories aren't supposed to count.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

In the case of long-running episodic shows, I can definitely see that side of the argument. I just don't like to half-rear end things, and I also don't have a lot of shows calling my name, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on something else if I devote a lot of time to watching all of a show. If you've got a dozen other shows clamoring for your attention then that changes the calculus.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just watched Wrath of Khan for umpteenth time over the years, and noticed something I never noticed (or likely forgot). When Spock is talking to Kirk in Engineering at the end, he says, "I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?" Perfect Spock snark, and I can't believe I've never remembered that bit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

https://twitter.com/rosequeue/status/1364231305991516164

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Here's the watch list I put together a few years ago for a hypothetical "get someone up to speed on Star Trek over a weekend".

Trek-a-Thon (32 hours total)

The Original Series (8 hours)
Honorable mention for Balance of Terror, just no room for it.

The Corbomite Maneuver
Kirk bullshits his way to victory. This is a reoccuring thing in TOS.
The Devil in the Dark
Great episode, highlights the “Value of Life” theme Trek has.
The City on the Edge of Forever
The “good” episode, written by Harlan Ellison (mostly, sort of), one of the few really good time travel stories in the franchise.
The Omega Glory
The worst episode of The Original Series, jingoistic garbage, racist, one of the “what sets are available this week” or “cowboy planet” episodes, Kirk saves the day by reading the preamble of the constitution. If it were made today Kirk would have been singing it from the back of a pickup truck while telling the Khoms to “git out!”
Be sure to mention that Gene Roddenberry was bizarrely proud of this effort and repeatedly tried to submit the script for consideration for various awards.
Mirror, Mirror
The Mirror Universe episode! Best known to the general public as the one with goatee wearing “evil Spock” one of the most parodied episodes of any tv series ever. Also, a decent episode.
Space Seed
Important because it establishes a little of Trek’s historical back story and because it’s the direct inspiration for two trek movies. Origin of Kahn, arguably the most important villain in Trek.
The Wrath of Kahn
Including this with TOS immediately after Space Seed. Generally considered the best of the Star Trek films, easily some of the best Sci-fi Trek has ever produced.

The Animated Series (1 hour)
Cheating because I’m using the best episode and another good episode
Yesteryear
Considered the best of the Animated Series. Written by TOS writer DC Fontana, covers Spock’s backstory.
The Magicks of Megas-Tu
The enterprise crew meet, then defend in court, Satan.

The Next Generation (10 hours)
I’m not going to include any of the TNG era movies because they’re unnecessary at best and un-TNG-like at worst, and the last two are just crap.
Honorable mention for Chain of Command.
The Measure of a Man
Fantastic episode of Star Trek! prooves the “grew the beard” analysis of TNG, shows one of the differences between TOS and TNG in the way the show approaches a tough philosophical question. Also has a good example of “The Picard Speech.”
The Royale
One of the worst TNG episodes. (using Shades of Grey is cheating) Basically a holodeck episode (which was the TNG equivalent of “cowboy planet”), that is so badly written that the goddamn episodes points out it’s badly written.
Who Watches The Watchers
One of the better explorations of the Prime Directive.
Déjà Q
In my opinion the one of the best all around Q episodes. Chosen mostly because it’s an early appearance that’s not the loving terrible TOS episode from season 1, and it’s a Q episode that actually focuses on Q instead of using him mostly as a plot device.
Sins of the Fathers
You get Tony Todd and a great primer on TNG-era Klingons
The Best of Both Worlds (parts 1 and 2)
Pretty much the definitive Borg episodes, the first TNG 2-parter,
The Drumhead
One of the best “important message” episodes, has another fantastic Picard Speech, all around great episode.
Cause and Effect
Cool Time Travel episode without being a time travel episode. Good example of “weird space thing” episode.
Fistfull of Datas
It’s a Data episode, it’s a Troi episode, it’s a Worf episode, it’s a Holodeck episode, and it’s a fun episode.

DS9 (5 hours)
I’m using Move Along Home instead of Profit and Lace because I’ll never willingly inflict that piece of trash on anyone. Honorable mention for Let He Who Is Without Sin because Worf helps terrorists literally rain on everyone’s parade.
Duet
A fantastic example of early DS9, and the point where the show starts to pull away from TNG.
Move Along Home
One of the worst episodes of DS9, and an example of the early writers just writing TNG/TOS style scripts instead of utilizing the new setting.
The Magnificent Ferengi
Excellent example of a Ferengi episode, also has Iggy Pop,
In Purgatory's Shadow / By Inferno's Light
Great 2-parter that takes place in during the Dominion Arc of the later seasons, basically concentrated Dominion: highlighting the change from TNG pushover Worf to DS9 badass Worf, Changeling terrorist plot, Garak, one of the three or four episodes where Jem’Hadar aren’t just super-soldier phaser fodder.

Voyager (4 hours)
Honorable mention: SFDebris’ 40-minute review of Threshold.
The Thaw
One of the few good Voyager episodes (that basically could have been an episode of any of the other series) featuring Michael McKean as an AI clown who basically feeds on fear.
Threshold
Not just the worst episode of Voyager, not just the worst episode of Star Trek, it could possibly be the worst episode of Science Fiction television, and I’m including UPN’s Homeboys in Outer Space in that comment.
Tuvix
An example of Voyager’s wasted potential. Take an interesting premise, add a fascinating moral and ethical quandary, and then top it off by having Captain Janeway commit an outright act of murder to press the plot reset button and never mention it again.
Blink of an Eye
One of the few good Voyager episodes (mostly because it has elements suspiciously similar to a TOS episode (wink of an Eye) and is, I’ll be generous and say appears to be “inspired by” a Sci-Fi novel called Dragon's Egg by Robert L. Forward.
Enterprise (2 hours)
The Andorian Incident
Shows the potential of a prequel Trek series, gives us a great background to the founders of the federation, Jeffrey Combs as Shran, and you get to see the Captain punch a lying priest in the face. Peak Star Trek.
Dear Doctor
Continuing in the long tradition of Trek writers not bothering to understand the science part of Science Fiction, the episode gets evolution wrong in an effort to justify genocide

Star Trek 2009 (2 hours)
For good or ill, this is the only Star Trek we’re going to get going forward.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 24, 2021

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Bill Gates McFadden

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

MikeJF posted:

I assumed the matrix was immediately shipped off to the Daystrom Institute.

very optimistic.

I figured they just left it in a dusty corner and no one thought twice about it. it's currently sitting in whatever planet the D crash landed on, and no one will ever think about ol' moriarty again.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Moriarty was condemned to the purgatory of Barclay's man cave.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Thanks I needed that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And if you play it in reverse Gates puts on a pair of glasses and turns into Eddie Redmayne :v:

8one6
May 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/ben_hr/status/1364463553835462658?s=19

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

I just watched Wrath of Khan for umpteenth time over the years, and noticed something I never noticed (or likely forgot). When Spock is talking to Kirk in Engineering at the end, he says, "I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?" Perfect Spock snark, and I can't believe I've never remembered that bit.

What a weird thing for you to make up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It annoys me that they took that line as the basis as to why Spock designed the test in JJ Trek.

8one6
May 20, 2012

https://youtu.be/Gy3UbVi3p9o

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wow, I made that clip like a decade ago. Internet fame at last!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Captain Janeway has really warmed to her role now that all the people who were kids during her tenure look fondly on old star trek, I remember right after the show she being so bitter how badly her character was written, everyone on voyager hated everything.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In the 50 Year Mission book, they spent awhile talking about the issues they had on set when Jeri Ryan got hired. Which was because Mulgrew rightly resented that they had hired this young attractive new actress to boost ratings.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Axe-man posted:

Captain Janeway has really warmed to her role now that all the people who were kids during her tenure look fondly on old star trek, I remember right after the show she being so bitter how badly her character was written, everyone on voyager hated everything.

It is a shame that's all still true, but Evil Janeway is at least funny and endearing. (to me)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Janeway has no virtues as a character so when people like the character, it’s mostly because they like Kate Mulgrew herself. Which is probably nice for her, especially now that the lovely experience of making the show is years in the past

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skasion posted:

Janeway has no virtues as a character so when people like the character, it’s mostly because they like Kate Mulgrew herself. Which is probably nice for her, especially now that the lovely experience of making the show is years in the past

She has virtues. For example she's really hands on in problem solving. When they run into some anomaly Picard or Sisko would say "Suggestions". Janeway would say "I'm going to research this and run some simulations and we'll meet at 0800, in the meantime you do this, you do that, and come back with your findings". She's like the ship's science officer which is really cool.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah anyone who doubts Mulgrews acting chops should compare her role as Red in Orange is the New Black.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sounds like some people haven’t seen her on NTSF:SD:SUV::

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

skasion posted:

Just a reminder of the kind of look you get when you tell a Trek actor they're great, but the show they were on was dogshit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

Just a reminder of the kind of look you get when you tell a Trek actor they're great, but the show they were on was dogshit.

Remind me what side of the coin that picture landed on; did the goon in question say that to Picardo as an intentional troll and snapped the reaction, or was it a catastrophic failure to read the room and they took the picture while Picardo was in mid-"gently caress off, please" grimace thinking they'd paid him some kind of legitimate compliment?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

I thought the context for that was “you were the only good actor on that show” which is even worse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

I thought the context for that was “you were the only good actor on that show” which is even worse.

No, they literally said "You know, Voyager was godawful... but you were great on it!"

E: or you're right, it might have been "Voyager sucked, and everyone else on it was terrible... but you were fantastic at least."

Either way, it was the Ultimate Goon Encounter.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah I think the sequence of events was "Voyager sucked, but you were a good actor" *picture*

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

jeeves posted:

Sounds like some people haven’t seen her on NTSF:SD:SUV::

I can't hear you over the sound of me hitting the Blow Plane Up button.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

Pretty sure the goon in question was FrensaGeran, or something close to that name. Are they still around?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember they posted a follow-up years later of him scowling at them from a distance at a different convention, apparently instantly remembering the guy who insulted his show and colleagues.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I remember they posted a follow-up years later of him scowling at them from a distance at a different convention, apparently instantly remembering the guy who insulted his show and colleagues.

Jesus Christ! Imagine being that big of a dipshit grognard that you made a lifelong enemy out of Robert loving Picardo to the point where he can pick out out of a crowd at a distance to express his disdain for you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Apparently the main cast of the animated kids show Prodigy are going to be all aliens.

The middle two look like they fit in with Trek to me, if a little exaggerated due to the art style. The others look a bit out there, but I'm cool with animated shows going with designs that wouldn't work in live action or would be too expensive to do with a show's budget.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Veotax posted:

Apparently the main cast of the animated kids show Prodigy are going to be all aliens.

The middle two look like they fit in with Trek to me, if a little exaggerated due to the art style. The others look a bit out there, but I'm cool with animated shows going with designs that wouldn't work in live action or would be too expensive to do with a show's budget.

That looks way better than I was expecting.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I like the blob dude.

But mainly I'm hoping that if they're going in for non-humanoid aliens, we'll see the Horta again.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Is the second from the right dude meant to be a Talaxian?

Using more out there aliens is cool, but I wish they were more recognisable ones. Give us the dude with the transparent skull!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Prodigy is also moving to Paramount+ for it's first run and only after all 10 episodes air will it then air on Nickelodeon sometime later.