Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Who would you delegate the task to? The guy who goes down with you to the surface of the Moon, or the guy who’s supposed to give you a lift home in the CSM?

I don’t know which Lovell’s plan was. He tells it like it’s a joke, here, third slide.

This direct link to the .MP3 may or may not work:

https://culturalinstitute-audio-serving.storage.googleapis.com/audiocaption/hQOgvuy7n46GWQ/1585659763145.mp3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZouM11wDKcE

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/3Ky4Uwf.mp4

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

hahahahahahahahahaaahahaha

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe americans shouldnt make their homes out of chicken wire then you could fire as many cannons as you'd like :colbert:

https://twitter.com/Debuking5/status/1364865482994630658

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Is this a carjacking, or what?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

gonadic io posted:

Is this a carjacking, or what?

Probably Russia, and Tuesday.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MisterOblivious posted:

They quit doing that like a decade ago because it's too mean spirited. Nowadays those guys just get a ton of penalty laid added to their score..

I am totally showing up in a new Corvette then.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

Who would you delegate the task to? The guy who goes down with you to the surface of the Moon, or the guy who’s supposed to give you a lift home in the CSM?

I'm pretty sure it was during Gemini, when it was just two dudes in a tin can. One mission was two weeks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Reading the thread, they manually decided to pass the truck and cross the two solid lines "safely thanks to the handling and acceleration!", so they don't know how to drive, either.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Uthor posted:

Reading the thread, they manually decided to pass the truck and cross the two solid lines "safely thanks to the handling and acceleration!", so they don't know how to drive, either.

Yeah what the hell, why didn't they just gently brake and move in behind the truck? I drive in heavy traffic all the time and I would never ever have done that. "Zoom ahead and make an illegal lane crossing" is a pretty garbage plan.

poo poo I just watched it again, they didn't to change lanes at all, they were already in an exit lane. The truck was ahead of them and moved over. They just showed a completely unsafe and unnecessary maneuver and presented it as good.

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 26, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I live half a mile from where an old manufacturing plant used to be which dumped shitloads of PCE into the ground, and the land is covered with expensive townhomes now. All of which have a lot of bullshit in their purchasing documents basically stating "you live on a chemical spill, if you get sick that's your problem". As stupid and lovely as the people who ran the factory were, and while it's clearly their fault the ground is now cancer, are they really responsible for the fact you can now buy a house sitting on top of their old site?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cthulu Carl posted:

Nah, Kari just told him to do a jump IIRC

Possibly my favourite Mythbusters moment was Kari and Scottie going "Let's egg him on until he hurts himself".

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

small ghost posted:

You could make an entire new film/TV only OSHA thread tbh. I just got off a call with my dad, who has Parkinson's, who was just updating me on an old industry friend of his, who has just been diagnosed with Parkinson's; just like another friend of theirs who died of complications related to Parkinson's just last year... I'm not sure if there's a proven link between developing colour film and Parkinson's, but anecdotally, a lot of photographers and cameramen seem to get it.

Michael J. Fox got Parkinson's from some bad heroin, users of certain herbicides have increased rates of Parkinson's, and it can be triggered in primates by injecting MPTP. It absolutely has external triggers. Huffing tons of organic solvents for years and developing long term problems is completely believable and unfortunately common as people exposed to those low safety practices get older.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qp374dvMuG1r0uzl6.mp4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

jetz0r posted:

Michael J. Fox got Parkinson's from some bad heroin,

What?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Weeeeelllllll

The stupid thing about this is that it wasn't originally a populated area. The bomb range they did a lot of stuff at was originally set up, y'know, away from populated areas, because it was a BOMB RANGE.

Then idiot developers started putting houses near it. So as with all the other situations where this has happened, and if you count OSHA worthy sites like old factories and industrial areas in general that are now residential, who's really to blame?

I live half a mile from where an old manufacturing plant used to be which dumped shitloads of PCE into the ground, and the land is covered with expensive townhx
omes now. All of which have a lot of bullshit in their purchasing documents basically stating "you live on a chemical spill, if you get sick that's your problem". As stupid and lovely as the people who ran the factory were, and while it's clearly their fault the ground is now cancer, are they really responsible for the fact you can now buy a house sitting on top of their old site?
Yes

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The primary fault lies with the developer who built a bunch of houses on cheap land without doing proper remediation first.

But the company that poisoned the land and then sold it cheap to someone else instead of dealing with it themselves also has a big chunk of the blame.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Counterpoint: no

edit:

Jabor posted:

The primary fault lies with the developer who built a bunch of houses on cheap land without doing proper remediation first.

But the company that poisoned the land and then sold it cheap to someone else instead of dealing with it themselves also has a big chunk of the blame.

This I can agree with, my point was simply the primary fault issue.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 26, 2021

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea maybe poisoning land for generations in pursuit of profits actually is your fault and our litigious system finding a way to hand wave it away are both the problem

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Counterpoint: no
the industrial barron defender has logged on

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KoRMaK posted:

the industrial barron defender has logged on

Sure, that's definitely why I said "As stupid and lovely as the people who ran the factory were, and while it's clearly their fault the ground is now cancer, ", because I was defending them you see

(Also I'm presuming you mean baron because I don't know what an industrial version of Trump's kid has to do with this)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Sure, that's definitely why I said "As stupid and lovely as the people who ran the factory were, and while it's clearly their fault the ground is now cancer, ", because I was defending them you see
Why'd you provide a counterpoint then???? Duh doi

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KoRMaK posted:

Why'd you provide a counterpoint then???? Duh doi

Cool this has already become one of those <two idiots slapping each other> series of posts that everyone else hates to read.

Congrats you won the debat

you get a prize

it's cancer, enjoy

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Well we don't know for sure, but it's a possible cause that he did heroin that had some sort of adulterant like MPTP. He does have a history of addiction problems.

It also could have been some other sort of environmental exposure like pesticides or something.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Uncle Enzo posted:

Yeah what the hell, why didn't they just gently brake and move in behind the truck? I drive in heavy traffic all the time and I would never ever have done that. "Zoom ahead and make an illegal lane crossing" is a pretty garbage plan.

poo poo I just watched it again, they didn't to change lanes at all, they were already in an exit lane. The truck was ahead of them and moved over. They just showed a completely unsafe and unnecessary maneuver and presented it as good.
The tesla is being an rear end in a top hat, and the truck is making a very dangerous maneuver. The speed limit difference between those two would only be 10mph (55 vs 65), but the traffic conditions is 20+ mph (55 or less, and 75+) when the truck enters his lane ~2 car lengths ahead of the car. There's only about a second from the front of the semi entering the left lane to the point where the tesla would have hit the back of the trailer. That's a hard emergency stop for the tesla to avoid hitting the truck, or dodge over a lane. Having a truck merge into my lane like that would absolutely trigger my adrenaline and crash avoidance reflexes. I can't say for certain what I would do, but if my awareness said the exit lane was clear, moving left to the exit lane is better than slamming on my brakes.

After that, I dunno? Am I stuck in the exit lane next to a truck that still wants to get over and almost hit me once already? I need to get in front or behind the truck, and I want to get back to my lane before the gore strip ends. I general I want to be as far away from erratic drivers as possible, for trucks that means passing them. In this situation, my car wouldn't be able to pass the truck before the gore strip ends. So I'd have to brake safely then merge right back to my lane behind the truck. The tesla was able to just floor it and get in front of the truck. It's not the safest option, but given the situation, it's reasonable.

I will poo poo on tesla and musk all day long, but that trucker was willing to cause a crash to avoid missing an exit.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Cool this has already become one of those <two idiots slapping each other> series of posts that everyone else hates to read.

Congrats you won the debat

you get a prize

it's cancer, enjoy
Lol, thank you industrial barron for the wages and cancer

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just so you're aware, the blinking lights on the truck are actually there to indicate that it's going to perform a lane change - it's not like the truck suddenly moved with no warning.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Jabor posted:

Just so you're aware, the blinking lights on the truck are actually there to indicate that it's going to perform a lane change - it's not like the truck suddenly moved with no warning.

That's the rear end in a top hat part.

Turn signals also don't magically make merging into a space 1.5x times your size with a 20mph speed difference safe.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I've been in situations where the car (or truck) in the other lane puts on the blinkers a microsecond before changing lanes and not checking for anyone behind them on the other lane, and since the video starts with the truck's blinkers on, it's hard to pass judgement on the Tesla IMO.

That said, there was nobody directly behind the Tesla as shown by the rear cam, so it could have just braked and not cut across the gore point at all.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

jetz0r posted:

Turn signals also don't magically make merging into a space 1.5x times your size with a 20mph speed difference safe.

truck's bully in like that all the time, they basically have a 'either move or you hit me, i wont die but you might, feeling lucky?" attitude

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Regardless of whether the truck signaled well in advance, the safe and sane solution would have been to slow a little bit and follow the truck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jetz0r posted:

If the vehicle in the next lane over is signalling a lane change, and has plenty of room to make that lane change, you should already be anticipating that they're going to move.

If you ignore that and keep zooming up to them, and they follow through with their move while you're still far enough away to avoid a collision, just maybe it takes a bit more braking than is comfortable on your part, they're not the rear end in a top hat or the dangerous one.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'll mention that the autopilot in this case swerved into another lane instead of braking because it's programmed to avoid hard braking whenever possible.

The overall system is an unreliable piece of poo poo, and nuisance braking is very noticeable to passengers while maintaining speed but driving erratically is not. The system is tuned to avoid braking as an attempt to cover up just how bad it is.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

thank god the tesla saved that person and did a manovour that no human paying attention could do - listing to the left

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

OTOH the autopilot might have been working as intended: driving like an rear end in a top hat in a Tesla. i'm surprised it didnt honk all the way while cutting through the lanes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You all know perfectly well that if the autopilot's solution to anything was "slow down, be cautious" the Tesla-owning crowd would raise holy hell about it.

Like that lady says in her own tweet that she did the "safe" thing by flooring it and cutting across the chevrons. That's the user attitude the autopilot is expected to match.

e: yeah

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

thank god the tesla saved that person and did a manovour that no human paying attention could do - listing to the left

the AP put the tesla in the lovely situation because it can't read traffic like a human. i can tell when a truck is freaking out and trying to merge two lanes over to make an exit, but the AP can't.

Jabor posted:

I'll mention that the autopilot in this case swerved into another lane instead of braking because it's programmed to avoid hard braking whenever possible.

The overall system is an unreliable piece of poo poo, and nuisance braking is very noticeable to passengers while maintaining speed but driving erratically is not. The system is tuned to avoid braking as an attempt to cover up just how bad it is.

Failure for self driving that requires human intervention always happens in the worst mode possible for humans to intervene. A human can't be tuned out and snap to attention to correct a problem before an incident occurs. Instead we're getting systems that default to carrying on as if everything is fine until something catastrophic happens.

I guess I accidentally described almost every system and institution in America there, too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

jetz0r posted:

Failure for self driving that requires human intervention always happens in the worst mode possible for humans to intervene. A human can't be tuned out and snap to attention to correct a problem before an incident occurs. Instead we're getting systems that default to carrying on as if everything is fine until something catastrophic happens.

This is why I feel that self driving will be most dangerous when it requires human interference during an emergency. If it's not good enough for self driving, the driver is going to be aware of what is going on. If it's good enough to handle anything, the driver can safely zone out. If it's almost good enough, you're going to get people expected to take over at a moment's notice after spending hours or days of not having to do anything.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Queadlunn posted:

:chef: "Hans, why did you design the machine so the needles are pupil-width apart and the actuating levers are were someone could be putting their hands if they're falling towards it?"

:fsn: "..."

where we're going, we need eyes full of delicious apricot filling to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
This thread needs an airframe parachute.