Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Christ the last 18 months have not been kind to him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

every now and then i see this thread and think "drat, the uk, huh? that place still exists?"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Mantis42 posted:

every now and then i see this thread and think "drat, the uk, huh? that place still exists?"

I too occasionally think "drat the uk"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

He did melt somewhat. Someone ask him if he loves Ode to Joy more than Britannia rule the waves.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
He also got fat as poo poo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Me too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1365070074483073027

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

MikeCrotch posted:

He also got fat as poo poo

at least he’s trying to outdo Boris in one department

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

lmao

JC: Maybe global genocide is bad?
*brains break*
Keith: KILL EVERYONE!!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1364917215649280001

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like the "British Ice" (there's more examples underneath the tweet if you click on it).

Have to aplaud them for all that effort to grow it domestically.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ah I see labour is taking their lead from American Democrats in fighting hard for strategic weapons from the war before last that nobody gives a poo poo about. Thank you for focusing on the things that do not matter.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Private Speech posted:

I like the "British Ice" (there's more examples underneath the tweet if you click on it).

they should go back to heating with British Coal
then they can start selling British Air to help with the British Smog

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I've said it before but is this how it felt like in germany in the early 30s? Just worrying decision after worrying decision, huge jump in nationalism from the government, flags everywhere, anybody not currently waving a flag viewed with suspicion, human rights increasingly being trampled, press quite captured, minorities being scapegoated and hounded.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

raging right now
https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1364934780790468610

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Private Speech posted:

My business making ice from french water using a hose strung across the channel has been destroyed by brexit

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

gonadic io posted:

I've said it before but is this how it felt like in germany in the early 30s? Just worrying decision after worrying decision, huge jump in nationalism from the government, flags everywhere, anybody not currently waving a flag viewed with suspicion, human rights increasingly being trampled, press quite captured, minorities being scapegoated and hounded.

I’m more thinking V for Vendetta.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Pryor on Fire posted:

Ah I see labour is taking their lead from American Democrats in fighting hard for strategic weapons from the war before last that nobody gives a poo poo about. Thank you for focusing on the things that do not matter.

Keith: we cannot give up our phosgene gas stocks or we will be overtaken by the perfidious Hun

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

gonadic io posted:

I don't think it can be compared at all. A large part of dangerous political activity during that period of time was based around actual physical violence and creation of organised militias. This was also an era where war was still a normal part of diplomacy. Now at worst it's fences on borders, not tanks rolling over them. War to the west is bombing people in far away places that can't fight back.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

MikeCrotch posted:

Keith: we cannot give up our phosgene gas stocks or we will be overtaken by the perfidious Hun

Your joke is closer to reality than you know, there is a major facility about two hours drive from me where they are disposing of old mustard gas munitions. Last I read there was somewhere north of 300,000 105mm mustard gas artillery shells on the list to burn up. This process takes decades.

I'm expecting Kamala Harris to demand we stop destroying this stockpile and instead ready it for war against Russia any day now, it's just what Democrats do.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pryor on Fire posted:

Your joke is closer to reality than you know, there is a major facility about two hours drive from me where they are disposing of old mustard gas munitions. Last I read there was somewhere north of 300,000 105mm mustard gas artillery shells on the list to burn up. This process takes decades.

I'm expecting Kamala Harris to demand we stop destroying this stockpile and instead ready it for war against Russia any day now, it's just what Democrats do.

she's got to use her deciding vote to kill the $15 minimum wage first lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Flayer posted:

I don't think it can be compared at all. A large part of dangerous political activity during that period of time was based around actual physical violence and creation of organised militias. This was also an era where war was still a normal part of diplomacy. Now at worst it's fences on borders, not tanks rolling over them. War to the west is bombing people in far away places that can't fight back.

Also you can't overstate the emotional, material and economic of WWI on interwar German society. France was literally occupying the Ruhr after Germany defaulted on their war debts and the scars of the starvation from the British blockade were still being felt in WWII.

Really it feels more like pre-WWI, where you have this increasing radicalism, an existential threat (of total war) hanging over everyone's heads and a bunch of people who are doing fine and just want things to carry on as they are forever.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Jose posted:

she's got to use her deciding vote to kill the $15 minimum wage first lol

Lol, it won't even get to her, there are at least a couple of dems who are basically just decorous republicans.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1365293227503480832?s=20

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

https://twitter.com/BenJolly9/status/1365285332405678088

lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
David Cameron hosed a Swinub.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

[UK] Your joke is closer to reality than you know

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oh my god this island is collectively mentally deranged.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think we need to go further abroad for our historical analogies and look to countries defined less by rising militarization and more by rapid economic backsliding/collapsing state capacity, like Russia or the Congo in the 90s.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Can't wait to go to the supermarket and see that the mangetout has been replaced with British Cram The Whole Bleedin' Lot In Your Gob, Ya Filthy Beggar.

gently caress it, let's Anglicize every food. Spaghetti will now be called Lincolnshire Dough Strings. Meringues are Crispin's Crunchy Egg Whites.

I think it's partly jingoism along with people wanting to feel that they're buying locally-sourced ethical foods. In reality most of the stuff is just rebrands of the old economy products they used to sell. So a pack of Tesco Value carrots is now packaged as something like Appleberry Farm's British Carrots with cutsey pictures of rolling hills and tractors on the packaging.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Can't wait to go to the supermarket and see that the mangetout has been replaced with British Cram The Whole Bleedin' Lot In Your Gob, Ya Filthy Beggar.

gently caress it, let's Anglicize every food. Spaghetti will now be called Lincolnshire Dough Strings. Meringues are Crispin's Crunchy Egg Whites.

I think it's partly jingoism along with people wanting to feel that they're buying locally-sourced ethical foods. In reality most of the stuff is just rebrands of the old economy products they used to sell. So a pack of Tesco Value carrots is now packaged as something like Appleberry Farm's British Carrots with cutsey pictures of rolling hills and tractors on the packaging.

Yorkshire of course is well known for its tea growing climate

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Everyone always forgets Green and Yellow.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

With, I hope, a 500% price increase.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

how can you forget the time Professor Oak wanted to give you a Skills Wallets

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

endlessmonotony posted:

The lib dem bird logo does sort of look like a pokemon

It's not very effective...

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Falcorum posted:

how can you forget the time Professor Oak wanted to give you a Skills Wallets

You get it from Brock.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

gonadic io posted:

I think given the incompetence and destiny of goofy failure if war is carried out, you're looking more at fascist Italy.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

https://twitter.com/BonMuss/status/1364978300888702991

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Somehow UK boomers are even more terrible online than American ones. Just endless whining about the good ole days, except with described in a way that makes it sound shittier than it is now??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crayfish
May 7, 2009
She doesn't seem that bad really. It's like you intentionally picked one of the shittest examples of a terrible British boomer https://twitter.com/BonMuss/status/1267800786584637445
what a monster