Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Boxturret posted:

Can you get four pips if you're in science/medical/engineering or is that solely for command?

Yes.

The pips (like our current stripes) are just a symbol of rank, not position or task. There's literally Dentist Admirals in the US Navy as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

This actually does come up later on in the series. Dr. Crusher holds the rank of Commander, and is definitely in charge of sickbay, but she's not a bridge officer so she'd only be called upon to take command under very unusual circumstances. Same thing goes for Troi, who's a Lt. Commander.

Officers in their position can, if they so choose, study up and take the test to qualify as bridge officers.

Crusher loving nails command too when she's put in charge, including disobeying orders in order to Do The Right Thing and keeping morale. She's actually a pretty awesome example of putting a woman on equal terms with the men and being able to get her way without it being because of stupid gender stereotypes.

Meanwhile, when Troi gets command she doesn't know what to do and basically has to get O'Brien and Ro to tell her how to be in command. She really should have just put O'Brien in charge (not Ro because she would have somehow attacked Cardassia). Troi as a character in general annoys me because her entire thing is being an empath, and pretty much every useful thing she does if tied to that ability, which is also very gender conforming.

This has been a women's studies reading of a show no women watches.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

BonHair posted:

She really should have just put O'Brien in charge (not Ro because she would have somehow attacked Cardassia).

I think that would have been a likely outcome either way.

To be fair, I complained about this exact thing when I saw it and S7E16 “Thine Own Self” does address that somewhat. Deanna Troi was criminally underutilized in the earlier seasons and they only start to gain some ground on that in like the very last season.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Speaking of Rho, I just saw the first episode she appears in (S05E03).

I liked the way that Picard put the secure channel message through on the main bridge screen just so he could own the admiral in public as a supreme power move.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BonHair posted:

Crusher loving nails command too when she's put in charge, including disobeying orders in order to Do The Right Thing and keeping morale. She's actually a pretty awesome example of putting a woman on equal terms with the men and being able to get her way without it being because of stupid gender stereotypes.

Meanwhile, when Troi gets command she doesn't know what to do and basically has to get O'Brien and Ro to tell her how to be in command. She really should have just put O'Brien in charge (not Ro because she would have somehow attacked Cardassia). Troi as a character in general annoys me because her entire thing is being an empath, and pretty much every useful thing she does if tied to that ability, which is also very gender conforming.

This has been a women's studies reading of a show no women watches.

*alien spends 7 minutes screaming at Picard*

Troi: Captain I sense anger

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

a neat cape posted:

*alien spends 7 minutes screaming at Picard*

Troi: Captain I sense anger
It would have been more interesting if Troi was more often like, "Captain, he's actually insecure about his position and is channeling that into his anger at you. Get his rear end *audibly swigs retsina*"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Minidust posted:

Spock was a captain in at least some of the TOS movies, though I have no idea offhand if the implication was that he commanded a ship between movies or what

Spock was the captain of the Enterprise as of The Wrath of Khan, and held the rank of captain through the remainder of the TOS movies.

Ironically, he lost his command because he came back from the dead. :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Still doing the 'no women watch Trek joke' really?

Meh I like Crusher a lot but it's a shame Tasha's death left the TNG Enterprise with women only in caregiving roles.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

BonHair posted:

Meanwhile, when Troi gets command she doesn't know what to do and basically has to get O'Brien and Ro to tell her how to be in command.
O'Brien having to for lack of better term mansplain her rank to her owns.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sash! posted:

Yes.

The pips (like our current stripes) are just a symbol of rank, not position or task. There's literally Dentist Admirals in the US Navy as we speak.

So Starfleet Dental is 100% Canon? I KNEW IT!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In the real life military, medical officer ranks aren't really the same as normal officer ranks. They can come into the military at a higher rank if they are a bigshot medical person or whatever. For that reason, they only have authority over other officers and enlisted in their unit, and can't be in charge of people in other areas. I guess the main reason this would come up is in a POW situation or whatever. A medical officer can't be in charge of infantry prisoners, but an intel officer could be.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zedd posted:

O'Brien having to for lack of better term mansplain her rank to her owns.

I like that she shouldn't/wouldn't be in charge in that situation, but O'Brien disagreed with Ro who outranks him, so he rules-lawyered his friend who just happens to have more pips on her collar into taking command because he knows she'd have to consult him on any decisions not involving the emotional well-being of the crew.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yvonmukluk posted:

So Starfleet Dental is 100% Canon? I KNEW IT!

Yes.

This is one of the most improbable looking military unit names around: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Dental_Battalion

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I guess the main reason this would come up is in a POW situation or whatever.

I believe they're authorized to given orders in a medical emergency, like carrying people out of the area and so on.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Hey hey Troi was very instrumental at being condescending to Data.

"Data, are you being egotistical?"
"No Consular, and if you listened the other 4,938 times I told you, I do not have emotions, nor an ego"

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Troi was just waiting for the A-team to go in the conference room so she could watch football on the big screen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It would have been funnier if Noonien Soong had told Data that he had emotions the entire time, he was just programmed to think he wasn't.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Data obviously had emotions

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The emotion chip just made him act like an rear end in a top hat like his dad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Royal Updog posted:

The emotion chip just made him act like an rear end in a top hat like his dad

"Oh you're talking like, love, hope, joy, I see. Nah son, nah; the only feelin' worth feelin' is wanting to get yer dick wet and gettin' yer dick wet"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Star Trek Picard shows that love, family and friendship suck when you can instead have space battles and romulan spec ops. :colbert:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Minidust posted:

Spock was a captain in at least some of the TOS movies, though I have no idea offhand if the implication was that he commanded a ship between movies or what

Timby posted:

Spock was the captain of the Enterprise as of The Wrath of Khan, and held the rank of captain through the remainder of the TOS movies.

Ironically, he lost his command because he came back from the dead. :v:

Scotty was also a "Captain of Engineering" whatever that is so in VI during the final 5 year mission the 1701-A had 3 captains onboard.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

This actually does come up later on in the series. Dr. Crusher holds the rank of Commander, and is definitely in charge of sickbay, but she's not a bridge officer so she'd only be called upon to take command under very unusual circumstances. Same thing goes for Troi, who's a Lt. Commander.

Officers in their position can, if they so choose, study up and take the test to qualify as bridge officers.

No, she explicitly is a bridge officer, it comes up in "Descent" and "Thine Own Self". In the latter episode she explicitly talks with Troi about taking the bridge officer's exam to become a full commander and holding the night watch now and then to keep her command skills fresh.

BonHair posted:

HopperUK posted:

Meh I like Crusher a lot but it's a shame Tasha's death left the TNG Enterprise with women only in caregiving roles.

I agree, it's really too bad they only developed that aspect of her character so late in the series. It would've been cool if a few other times she was the ranking officer in a crisis and got to take charge like a boss, or once or twice in the movies instead of being fancy set dressing.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 27, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scotty's rank is strange in the later movies. I think he's back to wearing a commander's insignia in Generations and at the end of Voyage Home, but he's wearing command white in Final Frontier and most of TUC, but then engineering gold with a captain's insignia when they beam down to Khitomer at the end of Undiscovered Country.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HopperUK posted:

Still doing the 'no women watch Trek joke' really?

With Denise Crosby and Gates McFadden leaving the show in/after Season 1, and Marina Sirtis strongly considering following them out the door because she was grossed out by what a sexpest Rick Berman was and how useless her role was, TNG was on the precipice of starting its second season with NO women on its main cast period.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

LongDarkNight posted:

Looking For Par'mach In All The Wrong Places" is the most horny. Worf is horny for Grilka, Quark is horny for Grilka, Kira and Obrien are uncomfortably horny for each other and Keiko is okay with it, Dax is horny for Worf and has her way with him. Quark and Dax get a few broken bones for their pleasure. Kira and O'Brien narrowly avoid going to gently caress cabin. The whole thing is one hot sticky mess.

Grilka is extremely hot too

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cat Hatter posted:

I like that she shouldn't/wouldn't be in charge in that situation, but O'Brien disagreed with Ro who outranks him, so he rules-lawyered his friend who just happens to have more pips on her collar into taking command because he knows she'd have to consult him on any decisions not involving the emotional well-being of the crew.

Ro outranked O'Brien at the time? I get he must suffer for he is O'Brien but she was a simple ensign at the time she was introduced. What was O'Brien even doing near the Bridge if he was lower rank.

I know he did get promoted at some point but does this mean my boy Nog outranked him by the end of DS9?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zedd posted:

Ro outranked O'Brien at the time? I get he must suffer for he is O'Brien but she was a simple ensign at the time she was introduced. What was O'Brien even doing near the Bridge if he was lower rank.

I know he did get promoted at some point but does this mean my boy Nog outranked him by the end of DS9?

O'Brien was enlisted, he wasn't a commissioned officer. He was high ranking enlisted, but all the officers outrank him. They joke in DS9 about how Nog's gonna outrank him at one point.

The idea at the start of TNG was that the concept of enlisted had fallen by the wayside and everyone was ensign or higher, and the idea of what an officer was had kinda changed over the years in the same way that a university degree today is very different to a degree 300 years ago, but then later on after Rodenberry was gone they reintroduced the idea of enlisted.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
He was the only enlisted person as far as I can remember.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cojawfee posted:

He was the only enlisted person as far as I can remember.

Crewman Simon Tarses from "The Drumhead" was enlisted. There were a few others in Voyager but that's the only other TNG example I can recall.

Edit: okay there are a bunch more in TNG but they're mostly background or one-line roles. They have no pops on their collars at all and you sometimes see them wearing the S1-S2 uniforms with the collar line even in later seasons.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 27, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

McSpanky posted:

No, she explicitly is a bridge officer, it comes up in "Descent" and "Thine Own Self". In the latter episode she explicitly talks with Troi about taking the bridge officer's exam to become a full commander and holding the night watch now and then to keep her command skills fresh.

That's exactly the episode I was thinking of, where she talks about how she just recently took the test, which inspires Troi to do the same.

Or am I misremembering that scene? I suppose it's possible she was talking about having done it years ago. I'll have to re-watch. (And I guess that decides tonight's Netflix selection.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Z304OmLVE

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

BonHair posted:

I dont know if this is true or just a star trek urban legend but apparently Crusher never misses a phaser shot in the whole of TNG.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dysgenesis posted:

I dont know if this is true or just a star trek urban legend but apparently Crusher never misses a phaser shot in the whole of TNG.

It's all in the writing, she's definitely a very perfect person in every way, so I don't doubt it, although she rarely uses a phaser. But she somehow manages to not be a completely boring Mary Sue type character either. I guess I just really enjoy her. Just like Picard should have done.

Meanwhile, I also would believe that Troi never misses on account of never shooting at all.

And while I'm posting: sorry about the women don't watch Trek joke. I'm dumb.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
She's the only one smart enough not to turn off auto-aim.

More seriously, I would imagine that the writers don't have her firing very often, so we don't see her miss.

Does Guinan ever fire a phaser aside from that one holodeck shooting range bit?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Guinan fires a blast into the ceiling of Ten Forward like an Ancient West bartender :allears:

Crusher blows a hole straight through that one guy :supaburn:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
She's got a surgeon's hands, of course she's got steady aim.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Does Guinan ever fire a phaser aside from that one holodeck shooting range bit?

She shoots her confetti gun into the air in 10 forward once I think

Efb

WilWheaton fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 28, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPColin posted:

Guinan fires a blast into the ceiling of Ten Forward like an Ancient West bartender :allears:

Crusher blows a hole straight through that one guy :supaburn:

WilWheaton posted:

She shoots her confetti gun into the air in 10 forward once I think

Efb

Every time I see that clip I just think that some poor bastard up on Deck 9 just got a plasma bolt straight up their rear end from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Powered Descent posted:

That's exactly the episode I was thinking of, where she talks about how she just recently took the test, which inspires Troi to do the same.

Or am I misremembering that scene? I suppose it's possible she was talking about having done it years ago. I'll have to re-watch. (And I guess that decides tonight's Netflix selection.)

Yup, I got it totally wrong, Bev explicitly says it was eight years ago.

A few more slip-ups like this and I'll be a candidate for Mauk-to'Vor.