Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like I’ve heard about some issues with Cryptozoic Kickstarters but maybe I’m wrong.

While not a board game, they were also responsible for the failure that was Hex, which I'm sure soured at least some people on them in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Radlands is back after the copyright dispute

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/druidcitygames/bloodstone/posts/3113634

Bloodstone Cancelled. It was funded and at $300k but it kinda makes sense if they can regroup and add a bit more value. I wanted to back it, they seem like they produce quality games, but there's just so many options that you really need to be wowed and pulled in by the campaign

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

senrath posted:

While not a board game, they were also responsible for the failure that was Hex, which I'm sure soured at least some people on them in general.

Honestly, that's the main reason I have any goodwill towards them (though their stepping in to rescue Doom That Came to Atlantic City was also nice.). Hex remains my favorite digital TCG ever and I've yet to find even a halfway decent substitute. I'm sad they didn't understand their unique selling point and manage it better, but in fairness, given that absolutely everyone in the space is heavily emphasizing PvP, their doing so is understandable, even if it was misguided.

malkav11 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 27, 2021

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

senrath posted:

Hex was a bummer. I really liked the stuff they put out but they never attracted a very big audience and it took them way too long to put out new content. I'm sure those problems reinforced each other.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
Have you heard the Go News?

The Moon Monster posted:

Hex was a bummer. I really liked the stuff they put out but they never attracted a very big audience and it took them way too long to put out new content. I'm sure those problems reinforced each other.

It was the one KS I went hard on, I did the tier that was one free draft a week lifetime -_-

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

CODChimera posted:

isn't that batman game also competing with the other one that has more and better minis and seasonal releases or something?

I was trying to figure out what this is so I googled around, and while yeah, there's an IDW BTAS game in the works that's currently sort of idling after WB wouldn't let them print guns on the box covers, it funded a while ago so wasn't going to be a big direct competitor. But then I found this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batman-gotham-city-chronicles-season-2 giant monster thing, that seems to have funded very recently, with an all-in buy of nearly 700 bucks. Huge amount of Batman though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

theironjef posted:

I was trying to figure out what this is so I googled around, and while yeah, there's an IDW BTAS game in the works that's currently sort of idling after WB wouldn't let them print guns on the box covers, it funded a while ago so wasn't going to be a big direct competitor. But then I found this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/batman-gotham-city-chronicles-season-2 giant monster thing, that seems to have funded very recently, with an all-in buy of nearly 700 bucks. Huge amount of Batman though.

I believe this was the one I watched Shut Up & Sit Down review and the mechanics were... not good. It's one of those 'so much stuff but they forgot to make a game' giant KS stories, although maybe season 2 fixes some things.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I backed the IDW one, because I have the TMNT stuff and it'd make a neat addition, and while the delays and constant news that IDW is trying to ditch the board game business suck, I still think it'll eventually happen and I'll have a giant set of skirmish board games combining TMNT and BTAS, which are two great flavors.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

theironjef posted:

The IDW one is on shaky ground only because IDW just let the designer go and might get out of board games altogether. It’s such a shame since they were planning a TMNT expansion and standalone compatible Avatar: The Last Airbender set (probably all canceled now).

The Gotham City Chronicles game is a ton of amazing minis but super fiddly rules and a bazillion skill icons you have to memorize on the character sheets. The season 2 format changed to a “buy each mini you want” which doubled the price of the campaign and also focused more on skirmish PVP instead of story scenarios. Season 3 is supposed to focus on a newly developed solo/co-op mode, but it’s still in development.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

The IDW one is on shaky ground only because IDW just let the designer go and might get out of board games altogether. It’s such a shame since they were planning a TMNT expansion and standalone compatible Avatar: The Last Airbender set (probably all canceled now).

The Gotham City Chronicles game is a ton of amazing minis but super fiddly rules and a bazillion skill icons you have to memorize on the character sheets. The season 2 format changed to a “buy each mini you want” which doubled the price of the campaign and also focused more on skirmish PVP instead of story scenarios. Season 3 is supposed to focus on a newly developed solo/co-op mode, but it’s still in development.

I think that Mutanimals expansion was dead in the water the second they landed the Avatar license, honestly. Didn't even need the other stuff, they just had an option to produce a Mutanimals expansion... or they could use Avatar and just print money. Of course now it's looking a lot like neither.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Not that anyone was aching for a distilled shot of Luke Crane, but here it is. No information on what the gently caress it is. No updates. No effort made for non-American audiences. On the plus side, only a hint of the wizard voice and actual PDFs.

It's quite a list of indie designers from the 2001-2010 era helping, though.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005

EverettLO posted:

Not that anyone was aching for a distilled shot of Luke Crane, but here it is. No information on what the gently caress it is. No updates. No effort made for non-American audiences. On the plus side, only a hint of the wizard voice and actual PDFs.

Woo boy people are mad about Adam Koebel being slipped in the back there

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Oh man, how did we miss this one?

The US distributor for the Click Clack Lumberjack line lost the license, so they tried to kickstart their own! That has worse looking components. And uses quotes from reviews for CCL in the kickstarter campaign.

And now the owner of the company is posting snippy rants on social media about how really, don't ALL games take inspiration from the games that came before?

loving Mayday.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Ah, yes, because inspiration is the exact same as wholesale copying. And lol at the idea that "literally every RPG ever" ripped off D&D.

Also he blames technical issues with Kickstarter for why they canceled, but it seems to me like hitting around 30% of your goal in 3 hours is still really good, and makes me wonder if this is another case of deliberately setting the project goal below what's actually needed for the project to be made.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Claims they hired a designer to work a year on this version, but there's no designer credited on BGG...

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011

EverettLO posted:

aaaaand project cancelled

Looks like enough people pulling out (due to Adam Koebel’s involvement not being disclosed to any of the other contributors) killed it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Crane's totally Not Mad about it too.

https://twitter.com/alendrel/status/1365833646498738176

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm not mad. Please don't put on Kickstarter that I got mad.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The list of contributors was "redacted to prevent further harassment" too. Like, bro, there was ONE name that needed to be removed

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, the Metal Gear Solid game was dropped and it was apparently all done from the design side.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

jivjov posted:

The list of contributors was "redacted to prevent further harassment" too. Like, bro, there was ONE name that needed to be removed

The comments at the end were complaining at the lack of transparency, and I had to giggle. Not because I disagree, but because Luke Crane is vehemently anti-transparency in every single regard.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

jivjov posted:

Given the way the internet works, I don't doubt that he was telling the truth that some of the people were harassed because they were seen as having chosen to work with Koebel (despite the fact that they didn't know and it was entirely Crane's fault). At that point just removing all the names to prevent further idiots from misunderstanding seems fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
DKR finally funded! :monocle:

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I briefly hoped that that was a remake of Diddy Kong Racing, but forgot that this world was too cruel for that to be real.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

The_Doctor posted:

DKR finally funded! :monocle:

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about the "trust us, the batarang dice are fine" and the 1v1 mode info.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

kinkouin posted:

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about the "trust us, the batarang dice are fine" and the 1v1 mode info.

I mean, the dice are apparently d4s with two possible results, if they suck just flip a coin and pretend you're Two Face

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Getting in on Undead or Alive for cheap pulp western miniatures, so I have a question for those who've done the CMON Giant Box of Minis campaigns. Should I add pledge extensions (ie. shipping, extra boxes, etc.) now or will I be able to add them later in a pledge manager? The FAQ wasn't clear on that.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Lumbermouth posted:

Getting in on Undead or Alive for cheap pulp western miniatures, so I have a question for those who've done the CMON Giant Box of Minis campaigns. Should I add pledge extensions (ie. shipping, extra boxes, etc.) now or will I be able to add them later in a pledge manager? The FAQ wasn't clear on that.

I was able to add and upgrade in the pledge manager for Bloodborne and Marvel, so it should work the same way. You’ll still be able to upgrade to the inevitable last two days all in pledge that cmon always does.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005
I realize I should have asked this earlier, but is there anything I should be doing in terms of promotion for my KickStarter in the last 48 hours? They are going to start in about 4 hours now.

Edit: I should probably link it again, I'm really bad at this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/koboldco-op/skies-of-hyperborea-a-zine-of-airships-and-exploration

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Adam Kensai posted:

I realize I should have asked this earlier, but is there anything I should be doing in terms of promotion for my KickStarter in the last 48 hours? They are going to start in about 4 hours now.

Edit: I should probably link it again, I'm really bad at this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/koboldco-op/skies-of-hyperborea-a-zine-of-airships-and-exploration

It's a good time for a final big promo push on any avenues you have. DM or email your pals or connects or w/e and ask for a shout-out, if you're fulfilling with DriveThru in anyway you can get them to do a ks promo email if you email the publisher services inbox, and the usual tweets and stuff. Post an update and be like whoo final 48! With some art or news. Generally it's one of the two biggest moments for the KS so try to capitalize on it like you did your launch.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The newest Tiny Epic Dungeons post confused me so I decided to check the comments to see what the heck they are talking about ... and yikes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jesus christ, people are so stupid

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

dwarf74 posted:

The newest Tiny Epic Dungeons post confused me so I decided to check the comments to see what the heck they are talking about ... and yikes

Now see, these are some backers who deserve to have their pledges summarily cancelled and told to gently caress off.

EDIT: Wait, actually, what the gently caress is going on here? From those screenshots I assumed "there's a trans character in the game and the chords are predictably losing their minds" but then the update says something about them apologizing for non-inclusive art?

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 2, 2021

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

GimpInBlack posted:

Now see, these are some backers who deserve to have their pledges summarily cancelled and told to gently caress off.

EDIT: Wait, actually, what the gently caress is going on here? From those screenshots I assumed "there's a trans character in the game and the chords are predictably losing their minds" but then the update says something about them apologizing for non-inclusive art?
Here's the discussion on BGG:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2612018/can-we-talk-about-women-box-cover/page/1

The box originally had obvious male gazey shots of the female characters on the cover and so after it was pointed out, the creators fixed the artwork to be more respectful and that made all the chuds flip their lid about censorship and free speech and poo poo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, You’ve Been Eaten, a 0-2 player game.

Adam Kensai
Feb 13, 2005

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It's a good time for a final big promo push on any avenues you have. DM or email your pals or connects or w/e and ask for a shout-out, if you're fulfilling with DriveThru in anyway you can get them to do a ks promo email if you email the publisher services inbox, and the usual tweets and stuff. Post an update and be like whoo final 48! With some art or news. Generally it's one of the two biggest moments for the KS so try to capitalize on it like you did your launch.

Makes sense, thank you. I just asked my last unconfirmed artist if she's comfortable with me announcing she'll be doing art, hopefully we can get an exciting backer update out the door.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like the initial state of the cover was decent enough that Hargrave could’ve just reached out to Gamelyn first.

I mean, I get where she’s coming from but I don’t think the initial cover really warranted the reaction this has caused. It doesn’t seem like anyone has benefitted from any of this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

sportsgenius86 posted:

I feel like the initial state of the cover was decent enough that Hargrave could’ve just reached out to Gamelyn first.

I mean, I get where she’s coming from but I don’t think the initial cover really warranted the reaction this has caused. It doesn’t seem like anyone has benefitted from any of this.

A whole bunch of assholes got banned from Boardgamegeek, which is a victory for us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"I'm not going to play the game if there's a trans character in it"
"Ok don't"

:v:

sportsgenius86 posted:

It seems to be fairly harmless fantasy tropes, and a quick "oh yeah we should probably redesign that" was about all you needed to correct course

But if idiots are outting themselves to be banned, then bring on the T&A