Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

My wife and I started watching the two season Cloak & Dagger series on Hulu recently. We're on episode 5 and so far the show is fantastic and it deserved so much better than to be exiled to the Siberia of whatever the "FreeForm" channel was. This should be in the mainline continuity, and I hope the MCU makes sure to keep it pulled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SonicRulez posted:

Retcons at the present made it so Wanda and Pietro both are not mutants and are not the children of Magneto, right?

So bizarre.

It's more of a retcon of a retcon, they originally weren't until they were and now they're not until they are. They were originally just randoms from Wundagore. Wundagore being the place most well know for producing The High Evolutionary in the comics. The most recent retcon ties them back to him as some of his many genetic experiments.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 27, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

theironjef posted:

We have movies plotted out with release schedules through 2023 right now, tons of film and TV shows, and that's without Covid interference pushing everything back. Oh and none of them are X-Men or X-Men related. Just from a practical standpoint I don't think it's super likely they'd define one character as a mutant now and then just sort of keep that weird status quo for the next several years. Maybe in 2025 when there's finally an X-Men movie they'll toss in a "there have been others before us" kind of line, but I don't think it's about to matter.

The flip side to that is Agatha's line about how her magic should have "withered on the vine."

Like how in the MCU for whatever reason Mutants either were never a thing or just unbelievably rare.
Only Wanda through her magic (and maybe a connection to alternative universes through the Nexus of All Realities) is going to jump start things. Make it so mutants are going to become way more possible.

We do it now, and in 3 to 5 years time, it is suddenly more plausible why an Xaiver's School for Gifted School is needed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

And put into positions of government! It's fine, though. Go have a drink with the Shadow King. Be all right.

In all fairness, haven't they retconned that Farouk isn't the Shadow King per se, he was possessed by some shadow demon that used his powers and body to do hosed up poo poo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

In all fairness, haven't they retconned that Farouk isn't the Shadow King per se, he was possessed by some shadow demon that used his powers and body to do hosed up poo poo?

Yeah, but again, Emplate, Sinister and Selene are all also hanging out in Krakoa. They haven't done anything to retcon all the bullshit those guys pulled.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, I know. Actually, was the story arc in Captain America with Selene chilling with the Lukins/Red Skull and stoking up chuds to be her personal farm before or after HoXPoX?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I would love for the comics to undo the lovely top-down retcon and reestablish Wanda and Pietro as mutants and Magneto’s kids again, but reading anything from WandaVision as confirmation that they’re mutants in the MCU seems like a pretty massive stretch to me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

mikeraskol posted:

Looking for a sanity check here, I think I may be too in the weeds looking for clues.

I thought something Heyward said in the scene with Wanda at Sword headquarters was really strange. He said something to her akin to "You're not going to bring him back to life, are you?" That immediately jumped out to me as odd, because there is nothing at all in what we've seen and know about Wanda up to this point that would lead someone to believe she had the power or capability to bring Vision back to life. The only thing I can possibly think is that they both had "infinity stone" energy or some poo poo which is why she could destroy his in Infinity War, but that's a stretch in assuming that she could bring him back.

Anyways it struck me as really weird, as if it were someone giving her the idea in the back of her head to bring him back to life. And yet he shouldn't know that she could possibly do that.

Am I thinking too much about this?

I don't think there's much more to it than what we saw. He knows Wanda is very powerful and has been trying to rebuild Vision for 5 years, so he tries to goad her a bit

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

theironjef posted:

We have movies plotted out with release schedules through 2023 right now, tons of film and TV shows, and that's without Covid interference pushing everything back. Oh and none of them are X-Men or X-Men related. Just from a practical standpoint I don't think it's super likely they'd define one character as a mutant now and then just sort of keep that weird status quo for the next several years. Maybe in 2025 when there's finally an X-Men movie they'll toss in a "there have been others before us" kind of line, but I don't think it's about to matter.

It’s not a popular opinion but I am also betting against the m-word or any other explicit X-Men setup for the same reasons

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

I would love for the comics to undo the lovely top-down retcon and reestablish Wanda and Pietro as mutants and Magneto’s kids again, but reading anything from WandaVision as confirmation that they’re mutants in the MCU seems like a pretty massive stretch to me.

Ehh, I think the retcon gives Polaris a lot of room to grow and I never really cared for the comic book versions of Wanda or Pietro (Elizabeth Olsen and Evan Peters are both great however)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I figured the thing with Pietro surviving the Mind Stone and giving him powers was just another Wanda probability hex. The HYDRA guys said every other test subject died so why not alter those impossible odds for Pietro too? (and it was after she was exposed to the stone so whatever hex definitely had more juice behind it)

Now as for why he got super speed from it? gently caress I don't know, why can Vision use the MIND stone to shoot lasers? Infinityforce I ain't gotta explain poo poo.

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, I know. Actually, was the story arc in Captain America with Selene chilling with the Lukins/Red Skull and stoking up chuds to be her personal farm before or after HoXPoX?

After. Cap (or somebody else there) mentions turning her over to Krakoa for them to deal with. Cap you poor naive bastard they ain't gonna do poo poo.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I mean, I'm pretty sure she killed some of the chuds, so in theory that should mean throwing her in the big hole.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sure she killed some of the chuds, so in theory that should mean throwing her in the big hole.

I think her and Emplate are being used to make sure Krakoa isn't stealing too much mutant energy, Sabretooth got thrown in a hole because he isn't actually that useful and no one has any sentimental attachment to him.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

theironjef posted:

I don’t think the idea that they’re doing a slow build to the full introduction of X-Men in the MCU several years down the road is/was at all unreasonable, I just don’t see that starting in WandaVision given the lack of hints pointing to that in the first eight episodes. could be more in FATWS, who knows

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Man, I know that in a way it's comics.txt

But like that also seems awfully convenient that for almost all of Farouk's comic appearances he just happened to be possessed by a literal demon who made him do all sorts of evil things.
Like the next time he does something bad, will it come back up.

I also love how noted not mutants like Mr. Sinister get passes to Krakoa.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 27, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Man, I know that in a way it's comics.txt

But like that also seems awfully convenient that for almost all of Farouk's comic appearances he just happened to be possessed by a literal demon who made him do all sorts of evil things.
Like the next time he does something bad, will it come back up.

I also love how noted not mutants like Mr. Sinister get passes to Krakoa.

Sinister figured out a storage system for all the memory copies Xavier has been making so they can keep bringing back mutants.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

selene and the rest of the externals got turned into a gate

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's also supposed to be a Sinister clone that he spliced the X-gene into, so technically he is a mutant. (I mean really Hickman just wanted to write his catty-as-poo poo Sinister and that's not an issue for me)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

selene and the rest of the externals got turned into a gate

Selene betrayed the rest and didn't become a gate I thought.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's also supposed to be a Sinister clone that he spliced the X-gene into, so technically he is a mutant. (I mean really Hickman just wanted to write his catty-as-poo poo Sinister and that's not an issue for me)

so wait, how is that different from deadpool

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

so wait, how is that different from deadpool

Sinister does useful things sometimes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr. Sinister's mutant genome database is the entire reason that the mutant resurrection protocols exist, that's why they let him on the island and act important

Deadpool is Deadpool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
why hasn't forge done his own version yet

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

site posted:

why hasn't forge done his own version yet

forge is very busy

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I want to see Krakoa's amnesty policy referred to as "Mutant operation paperclip" around Magneto to see what kind of face he would make

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SlimGoodbody posted:

My wife and I started watching the two season Cloak & Dagger series on Hulu recently. We're on episode 5 and so far the show is fantastic and it deserved so much better than to be exiled to the Siberia of whatever the "FreeForm" channel was. This should be in the mainline continuity, and I hope the MCU makes sure to keep it pulled in.

I just felt a crushing pain in my chest as you reminded me how awesome C&D was and how it got banished to obscurity. It has...well it has a couple tiny references to Netflix MCU and I think one person says Stark! That's something...

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

SonicRulez posted:

I just felt a crushing pain in my chest as you reminded me how awesome C&D was and how it got banished to obscurity. It has...well it has a couple tiny references to Netflix MCU and I think one person says Stark! That's something...

I've heard that Tandy and Tyrone appear in The Runaways, and that the Darkhold appears in that show, and people are saying that the Darkhold might be the book that Agatha has in her creepy witch basement in WandaVision, so I guess we'll see.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Alaois posted:

forge is very busy

could probably squeeze it in if he puts the jet ski and the mind control fungus off to the side for a bit

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
We should probably move this to the X-thread, but was the gym bunny stuff always part of Forge's character?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

We should probably move this to the X-thread, but was the gym bunny stuff always part of Forge's character?

well consider his outfit when he debuted

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SlimGoodbody posted:

I've heard that Tandy and Tyrone appear in The Runaways, and that the Darkhold appears in that show, and people are saying that the Darkhold might be the book that Agatha has in her creepy witch basement in WandaVision, so I guess we'll see.

Unfortunately they're not handled all that well in Runaways, IMO.

But I'm glad to see someone else has discovered the show.

Given what we now know about Loeb, I have no idea how that show came to be. But I'm very glad it did.

Also, the Vikingtown Motel fight scene from Season 2 might be one of my favourite bits from the entire MCU.

I'm somewhat baffled that, at least in the UK, it's not part of Star on Disney+ but loving Helstrom got through. I'm assuming it's just a rights issue.

Honestly if the show itself is stricken from MCU canon, just get the leads back, at least. Their chemistry is goddamn perfect.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

SlimGoodbody posted:

The Darkhold was a big thing in Agents of Shield, not that anyone’s checking

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

It wasn't just a sloppy retcon. It was one that never made any sense.

I am going to reread Axis so I have the exact order of things down, but I remember it being so dumb and it led to a bunch of nothing stories.

Okay I re-read Axis 7, and the retconning of the Scarlet Witch is so unbelievably dumb.

Basically Inverted Scarlet Witch (so evil) is fighting inverted Dr. Doom (now good) Magneto (also good) and normal Quicksilver.

The Scarlet Witch gets so mad she casts a spell that is designed to torture and kill everyone with “the blood of my blood.”

Because the spell does not harm Magneto she is like “Oh my gosh. You aren’t hurt, you must not be my dad. Laters.”

Not this spell did nothing to Wanda (which okay, the spell she cast was super crazy, but maybe it was designed not to hurt her.) and it seemed to mess up Quicksilver, but not the intended effect (boil his blood, rupture his soul, end the line.)

We also do not see this spell hurt anyone else on the planet, you know like Luna or Billy or Teddy or any of Wanda’s other blood relations.

So yeah, this was the whole rationalisation for Wanda not being Magneto’s kid.

The “not mutants now” thing came later in another Rick Remender Avenger’s storyline where they were supposed to be created by the High Evolutionary. And it was supposed to be implied he was their dad. But at the end of the story the Vision says “he’s not their dad. Their real father is so shocking a secret, I can never tell anyone.”

Then the Vision got blown up like three different times and they never followed through on that plot.

At this point, they may as well make Wanda and Pietro, Magneto’s kids again as it offered way more story potential then anything they have done since.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'd like to take a moment to point out that while the MCU movie schedule is pretty full from now until 2023 or 2024, the Disney Plus TV schedule is not, especially if shows like WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Solder, and Loki are one and done affairs. Given that The Book of Boba Fett was announced in December 2020 and is scheduled to air in December of 2021, the turnaround on D+ projects seems to be a lot quicker than getting a movie going.

Ergo, they could easily introduce the MCU version of mutants at the end of WandaVision, then put out a Wolverine six episode D+ show in 2022, then do WandaVision Season 2, now featuring Magneto, then link that to Professor X, all leading up to a big X-Men movie in 2024.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Feige's said that some of the D+ shows are being made with the view that they'll have multiple seasons (Ms Marvel, She-Hulk), and some are made with the view that 'season 2' is whatever movie they link to. So WandaVision S2 is Dr Strange 2.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I'd like to take a moment to point out that while the MCU movie schedule is pretty full from now until 2023 or 2024, the Disney Plus TV schedule is not, especially if shows like WandaVision, Falcon and Winter Solder, and Loki are one and done affairs. Given that The Book of Boba Fett was announced in December 2020 and is scheduled to air in December of 2021, the turnaround on D+ projects seems to be a lot quicker than getting a movie going.

Ergo, they could easily introduce the MCU version of mutants at the end of WandaVision, then put out a Wolverine six episode D+ show in 2022, then do WandaVision Season 2, now featuring Magneto, then link that to Professor X, all leading up to a big X-Men movie in 2024.

It's an interesting thought but I highly doubt they're gonna introduce mutants individually before an actual X-Men movie

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I mean...they already have. Evan Peters is already here. Even if he turns out to be someone different, which is looking less and less likely, the seed has been planted.

I don't get it, y'all. For months all anyone could talk about was how they're gonna introduce mutants on this show -- if I had to hear another "No, more mutants!" quip from this specific forum I was gonna flip -- and now they're literally doing Wanda's mutant power origin and everyone thinks they're gonna waffle another three years?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BrianWilly posted:

I don't get it, y'all. For months all anyone could talk about was how they're gonna introduce mutants on this show -- if I had to hear another "No, more mutants!" quip from this specific forum I was gonna flip -- and now they're literally doing Wanda's mutant power origin and everyone thinks they're gonna waffle another three years?
We've long since known that magic was a thing, and in this episode we're introduced to the idea that there have been covens of witches operating independently of the Kamar-Taj sorceror structure for at least 300 years. Then, Agatha identifies literally everything Wanda has done as a juiced-up version of magic she can also do, then they go back to Wanda's origin story so Agatha can take care to very specifically call her a baby witch and identify the spell she used. I really, really don't see the conective tissue between that and "mutant", unless you want to make the case that Dr. Strange is a mutant too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

We've long since known that magic was a thing, and in this episode we're introduced to the idea that there have been covens of witches operating independently of the Kamar-Taj sorceror structure for at least 300 years. Then, Agatha identifies literally everything Wanda has done as a juiced-up version of magic she can also do, then they go back to Wanda's origin story so Agatha can take care to very specifically call her a baby witch and identify the spell she used. I really, really don't see the conective tissue between that and "mutant", unless you want to make the case that Dr. Strange is a mutant too.

I already answered this and you ignored it. Its been answered several times. If she's not a mutant here with what has been revealed, she's not one in the comics. And I don't care about the dumb corporate mandated retcon for market synergy. By all metrics that count she is a mutant here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Doctor Strange had to study magic in order to learn it, Wanda was able to do it naturally. This has always been their case, the difference between them.

It's just really weird that people keep saying she's not a mutant by bringing up the literal specific comic book indicators of Wanda's mutation that the episode, yes, took special care to clearly reference.

"Probability hex" is Wanda's mutant power.