Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

Paladinus posted:

I've never looked under a car in my entire life, so I assume it's a healthy amount of rust on everything there.

Healthy but not bad. It's just a light coating. At least not bad compared to coastal or snow prone regions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
If you think you're going to pull apart the Twin Traction Beam with no special tools for those springs at all, think again. Lemme introduce you to another law, Hooke's law.

Those coils will righteously gently caress up your day if you think you're just gonna pop apart the TTB with cinderblocks and babbies first socket set. The hogged to poo poo shocks constrain the movement of those arms.

What's best is there's probably two tons pushing down on that axle right now on top of all this janky poo poo you propose.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Rytheric posted:

Healthy but not bad. It's just a light coating. At least not bad compared to coastal or snow prone regions.

Yeah tbf that is a hell of a lot better then most vehicles here in the snow belt for its age. I honestly expected to see a massive rust hole in the frame.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I know everyone here is eager to get their dunks in, but for fucks sake any modern vehicle with leaf springs will have shocks to go with them. We're not talking about a covered wagon here.

Please carry on with all the reasons you shouldn't use cinderblocks to support a vehicle in place of jack stands and other genuine "what the fucks," don't invent your own.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yeah tbf that is a hell of a lot better then most vehicles here in the snow belt for its age. I honestly expected to see a massive rust hole in the frame.

Yeah you can definitely tell the GroverTruk has never tasted road salt. That was part of the perks. When I replaced the breaks for the lady up in Chicago her rotors were the worst I had ever seen. I was like what do yall have to switch these out yearly up here or something?

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

cursedshitbox posted:

If you think you're going to pull apart the Twin Traction Beam with no special tools for those springs at all, think again. Lemme introduce you to another law, Hooke's law.

Those coils will righteously gently caress up your day if you think you're just gonna pop apart the TTB with cinderblocks and babbies first socket set. The hogged to poo poo shocks constrain the movement of those arms.

What's best is there's probably two tons pushing down on that axle right now on top of all this janky poo poo you propose.

To be fair I had intended to fix the suspension prior to building inside of it. But I needed to get something up before winter.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rytheric posted:

To be fair I had intended to fix the suspension prior to building inside of it. But I needed to get something up before winter.

So what's the plan to get the suspension unloaded so you can work on it? I hesitate to suggest anything, but if you've got something approximately roadlike or parkinglotoid near where you have a room at your boss's, you could build some cribbing and crib up the frame to let the suspension go to full droop. Then it's just trying to figure out how to compress and remove the springs so you can get all the other components loose and out.

Since you've got a minute, look at some of the Bad Obsession Motorsport videos where they're doing work on their hauler. They're a couple of exceptionally talented and experienced guys, and they're still VERY VERY safe around suspension components. If it can keep a couple of tons up in the air and bounce around happily, it absolutely will not notice the force it takes to crush your pathetic meat body.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So what's the plan to get the suspension unloaded so you can work on it? I hesitate to suggest anything, but if you've got something approximately roadlike or parkinglotoid near where you have a room at your boss's, you could build some cribbing and crib up the frame to let the suspension go to full droop. Then it's just trying to figure out how to compress and remove the springs so you can get all the other components loose and out.

Since you've got a minute, look at some of the Bad Obsession Motorsport videos where they're doing work on their hauler. They're a couple of exceptionally talented and experienced guys, and they're still VERY VERY safe around suspension components. If it can keep a couple of tons up in the air and bounce around happily, it absolutely will not notice the force it takes to crush your pathetic meat body.

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff. But the idea is to just lift it up until the suspension droops, take off the shock then pull the spring out. Ive seen people use c clamps or just a screw driver.

Here is a video of them taking it off between the 4 and 5 minute mark. Note that some of it doesn't look safe. I don't like the lack of attention to where their hands and arms are.

https://youtu.be/C_HAnqPw_TY

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 28, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Rytheric posted:

Yeah you can definitely tell the GroverTruk has never tasted road salt. That was part of the perks. When I replaced the breaks for the lady up in Chicago her rotors were the worst I had ever seen. I was like what do yall have to switch these out yearly up here or something?

eh, typically rotors arent a huge deal has long as the car gets driven If you leave a car out and let it sit in the winter thats when the rust on the rotors gets really ugly and the brakes might as well get changed because of corrosion. TBH we just replace rotors when we do brakes in my house since you can get a pads+rotor kit for a decent price on all four wheels and its way easier then dealing with turning them or cleaning them off. drums though are a whole different beast and by god they do not like sitting much.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff. But the idea is to just lift it up until the suspension droops, take off the shock then pull the spring out. Ive used people use c clamps or just a screw driver.

Here is a video of them taking it off between the 4 and 5 minute mark. Note that some of it doesn't look safe. I don't like the lack of attention to where their hands and arms are.

DO NOT DO THIS DEAR loving GOD NO DO NOT USE CLAMPS OR ANYTHING NOT RATED FOR THE SPRING OR THE GODDAMN JOB

THESE ARE NOT TOYS THEY WILL loving KILL YOU.

Pay someone with a lift and the tools to do this job, it is not worth the risk of injury. Or the risk that you might not know the correct way to do something and make your car into a ticking time bomb that kills you or someone else. I do not give a poo poo if your PFC buddy says he knows, or you have the manuals for repairs, this is specifically a job for a trained mechanic that knows F350s and understands the quirks. PAY SOMEONE

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff. But the idea is to just lift it up until the suspension droops, take off the shock then pull the spring out. Ive used people use c clamps or just a screw driver.

Wrong method. As soon as you pull the shocks the springs have free reign to push those arms down as far as they can. If you are under the arm, it'll push it right through you without a single gently caress given.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

DO NOT DO THIS DEAR loving GOD NO DO NOT USE CLAMPS OR ANYTHING NOT RATED FOR THE SPRING OR THE GODDAMN JOB

THESE ARE NOT TOYS THEY WILL loving KILL YOU.

Pay someone with a lift and the tools to do this job, it is not worth the risk of injury. Or the risk that you might not know the correct way to do something and make your car into a ticking time bomb that kills you or someone else. I do not give a poo poo if your PFC buddy says he knows, or you have the manuals for repairs, this is specifically a job for a trained mechanic that knows F350s and understands the quirks. PAY SOMEONE

Do this. I'm not making GBS threads you.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Rytheric posted:

Springs will kill you deader than anything if you are loving around with them and you don't know what you're doing. That is a fuckload of energy you have to account for and if a bigass spring with a few hundred lbs of force on it lets go and you're in the path it will not be pretty.

Less posts about novel ways to kill yourself, more posts about your neat hobbies and ideas please

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The real issue here is that a bunch of car people are seeing you use terms that are wrong. I defer to people that have worked on Ford I-Beam IFS for the correct terms but the control arms != axles for one.

Rytheric posted:

AHHHHHHH DEAR GOD NO DO NOT USE C- CLAMPS. DO NOT USE SCREWDRIVERS.

Use a proper spring compressor or don't do it at all. Springs are NOT to be hosed with under compression, they will make a mess of you if poo poo goes wrong.

Suggesting cinderblocks for under car maintenance or screwdrivers / clamps for springs just screams you dont know what you are doing, stop and take it to someone that does.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 28, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Suicide by car maintenance is a hell of a way to go

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

cursedshitbox posted:

Wrong method. As soon as you pull the shocks the springs have free reign to push those arms down as far as they can. If you are under the arm, it'll push it right through you without a single gently caress given.

Thats a good piece of information. The guy was a bit more concerned about how tuff he was to give decent information, but after you pointed it out. It looks like they were using the bottle jack to slowly lower the spring. But I can see that if you accidently let the pressure out of the jack too fast or didn't jack the vehicle up enough you'll have problems.

I seen plenty of safety issues in that video that concerned me. So no worries I'm not following that guy.

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 28, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rytheric posted:

Thats a good piece of information. The guy was a bit more concerned about how tuff he was to give decent information, but after you pointed it out. It looks like they were using the bottle jack to slowly lower the spring. But I can see that if you accidently let the pressure out of the jack too fast or didn't jack the vehicle up enough you'll have problems.

I seen plenty of safety issues in that video that concerned me. So no worries I'm not following that guy.

Right, and if the jack is on dirt, leaves, primitve ground, likely hood of it sliding out goes up 10 fold. These lads are working on a cement pad in a shop. A piece of dirt is not the place to re-enact such a job. With unladen TTB arms and you're right there pulling bolts off the shock you are inches from the spring. The spring containing at least a half ton of energy. Where's it gonna go? out. And it's gonna do it fast, with little regard to anything in its path.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

cursedshitbox posted:

Right, and if the jack is on dirt, leaves, primitve ground, likely hood of it sliding out goes up 10 fold. These lads are working on a cement pad in a shop. A piece of dirt is not the place to re-enact such a job. With unladen TTB arms and you're right there pulling bolts off the shock you are inches from the spring. The spring containing at least a half ton of energy. Where's it gonna go? out. And it's gonna do it fast, with little regard to anything in its path.

Yeah. I already know I can't do it on stands in my bosses driveway. The asphalt would just give under the weight. So I wouldn't have a place to do it even if I was. Except maybe next to the loading docks of my work place where the truck trailer support rest.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

All that aside. Could someone tell me what the exhaust is suppose to look like. It just ends. In the middle. Under the truck. That doesn't seem natural. My grandpa busted out laughing when I told him that over christmas.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I just want everyone to know that everyone in this thread has been saying reign (to rule over) when they mean rein (that thing you use to guide a horse). The phrase "free rein" means to let the horse go where it wants to.

You may now return to giving car repair advice to a guy who wants to carve a house himself.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

I just want everyone to know that everyone in this thread has been saying reign (to rule over) when they mean rein (that thing you use to guide a horse). The phrase "free rein" means to let the horse go where it wants to.

Good catch, Thanks!

Rytheric posted:

All that aside. Could someone tell me what the exhaust is suppose to look like. It just ends. In the middle. Under the truck. That doesn't seem natural. My grandpa busted out laughing when I told him that over christmas.

It should cross over the rear axle and terminate at the side of the upfitter body somewhere behind the right rear wheel. Any muffler shop can get it sorted out.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

does it "end" with a muffler and a little down-turned piece of pipe, or just, like, a jagged hole

some cab-chassis trucks do just terminate the exhaust in the middle

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff.

The new thread titles come hard and fast.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Rytheric posted:

As said it can be sorted by a muffler shop, but it's pretty common on those lovely box truck conversions to have it dump like that, since, y'know, they don't expect people to live back there.

:siren: LISTEN CLOSE TO CURSEDSHITBOX :siren: even if you listen to no one else, he's a bona fide expert in this area, and lives in a truck that's not a complete piece if poo poo.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Drone posted:

The new thread titles come hard and fast.

It's a rollercoaster of a read

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ry, for the love of gently caress don't do the goddamn suspension poo poo yourself. I promise you'll be saving money in the long and short term by paying someone to do it right. I'm all for diy stuff, especially in the last 5 years or so. Just take truck to shop for this one.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

PathAsc posted:

Ry, for the love of gently caress don't do the goddamn suspension poo poo yourself. I promise you'll be saving money in the long and short term by paying someone to do it right. I'm all for diy stuff, especially in the last 5 years or so. Just take truck to shop for this one.

You're about to have a new homegrown story for the GBS gore thread

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If there's one thing you should learn about vehicle maintenance it's:

Don't gently caress around with suspension springs.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I mean it just seems like you need 7 different jacks and one guy to hold the spring while the other guy wedges it out with his hand. I'm not a car guy or anything but

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

there's a couple youtube videos of lucky morons getting whacked in the face by springs if op wants som inspiration

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Did i miss the post where it was revealed that the truck has failed an inspection on worn out suspension? or is looking at suspension rebuilds just another distraction/side quest?

There would seem to be many more important things to fix here both on this truck and in your life than the worn suspension

If you want to fix something on that truck please consider starting with some of the bits that are more likely to kill you, like that nightmare of a 12v "system" and battery that you have floating around in the back or even just improving the whole living arrangements in the back of that thing.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
In the town where Ry is parked,
Lives a man who sailed a lake,
and he told us of his life,
in the land of timber johns.

So we parked out in the sun,
when we found the sea of pee,
And Ry lived beneath the waves,
in a Ford E350.

:grovertruk:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
loving about with truck suspension at your level of knowledge/experience will save you money twice - you're not paying someone else to do the job, and you're unlikely to be around long enough for the money you took out of your pension to matter.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Return the telescope, take your combined 6-8 whatever-k and either buy a truck in better condition (one of the ambulances mentioned earlier would be fantastic if you get it inspected) or a tracker or a geo metro or whatever. If you want to keep this crappy truck that has literally no redeaming features other than "someone already really badly framed and insulated it" get that fixed by a pro.

I want to give comedy bad suggestions but I think you'll get hurt, so I won't.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Sell it all, convert as much as you can into cash, and start over without the burden of a broken truck and broken land.

There are vehicles custom made to live in, and if you buy an old enough one, you will have plenty of DIY to do.

This poo poo has gone from amusing to a 1:1 probability of your death/financial death due to a cascading pile of poor decisions.

You haven't solved any of this growing pile of issues yet and are distracting yourself from big picture problems with finding small picture solutions.

This thread is yelling at you like one of those signs on a trail, or an underwater cave that likes to eat scuba divers that says "turn back or die."

But you are so object fixated on your imagined finished project that you are going to ignore all of it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Yeah, so disclaimer this is all youtube stuff. But the idea is to just lift it up until the suspension droops, take off the shock then pull the spring out. Ive seen people use c clamps or just a screw driver.

You're totally gonna get yourself killed.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Ask any experienced automotive wrencher what scares them the most and it's likely to be spring work.

Working on a normal size car is scary enough, but you are talking about DIYing a commercial vehicle.

This is not a project to tackle as your first rodeo.

All of the people giving you advise about working on this (babyratingpsychopath, cursed shitbox, Wrar, Fermented Tinal, Motronic, Cat Interceptor, Elmnt80, etc) are all INCREDIBLY knowledgeable and experienced in these (and many other) areas.

I know you've said you will take this in to a shop to have the work done, please don't change your mind on that.
When people like the ones I mentioned above are giving you advice, you really, really should listen. They are some of the smartest, most caring people I've come to know and you should not dismiss what they are saying.

Personally, I would consider the truck not worth the money and effort, sell it for whatever you can get (p possibly for salvage), get a reliable vehicle that you can use as a daily driver, then be more thorough with the next GroverTruk project. Remember that 9 times out of 10 the reason a project like that is so cheap isn't because you've stumbled upon an amazing deal, it's because the person selling knows it would cost far more than it is worth to get it roadworthy.

Also, I'll reiterate what others have said: save your money on a lawyer now, just walk away from the Timber shitter property.

nadmonk fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 28, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

My motivations are to prevent Ry from dying, generally.

um excuse me posted:

I definitely want you to succeed without any life altering injury.

Hey it's um excuse me, your safety fairy. I am also a regular in AI and do a ton of car work. Please don't gently caress with your truck's suspension. Or if you do, don't take shortcuts like the guy in the youtube video.

um excuse me posted:

I think you'd benefit from a bit of scope. You know what you want, but the problem is it changes every other post lol. I think if you focus on GroverTruk and follow through with it, you might find your goals for Murderhaus and TimberShitter more clear by understanding what itches GroverTruk does not scratch.

Glad you switched your attention to the truck though. Proud of you.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 28, 2021

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Rytheric posted:

A multi-hundred pound timber is easier to leverage and pick up side by side or drag. there aren't many vehicles i think i could lift up a side of. one is an order of magnitude heavier than the other and much less dense.

Well here's the thing, not that it matters, as you are gonna do whatever you want, but it's wild how you haven't even come up with like using an electric winch instead of 2 ropes to hoist timbers, or want to put a commercial box truck on cinder blocks (resting on dirt) instead of ramps and jack stands on pavement, a truck battery with an inverter as a power supply instead of generator.

It's just that these half-assed solutions are designed to complicate the gently caress out of your already difficult tasks for the stupidest, hammerhead reasons (ie; generator too loud :qq:).

Itt construction professionals, real estate and law experts, and now mechanics are telling you the same things over and over, yet you know better. This doesn't give you any pause?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
A lot of us have also seen this sort of thing done right. cursedshitbox literally lives in a box on the back of a truck. He has a very detailed thread about it in AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

D-LINK posted:

I've been around commercial construction my entire life, and I fully understand the urge to try different building techniques. I'm especially fond of historic restoration, and genuinely love learning archaic methodologies, so I can empathize with an urge to try timber framing. It'd be fun for me.

Fun side story here about historic restoration. The Mark Twain house in CT a museum and nearing 150 years old, and hence required some heavy renovation to turn an old house into something designed to last with museum levels of foot traffic. There is one specific spot that for a decade+ Twain would put out cigars into a sill. Left a great big char divot next to the seat. The rotting wood of the sill needed to be replaced, so for 8 hours a day for nearly a whole week two guys sat there with the replacement sill trying to recreate that cigar divot. They took a blow torch to a big nut and then ground it into the wood with tongs while it was red hot. Over and over. For a week.

And the stupid wood char divot came out perfect. Only took like $6,000 of billable time