Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

quote:

Hey Fred, I notice you're a little vague about your location, but I'll be I know where you live. I bet live in a place where there are no black people. In fact, I'll bet you couldn't range a black person with an artillery shell from your front yard. "How does he know this?!," you're wondering. It's simple. All of the most enthusiastic anti-racists here in CSM have miraculously, accidentally, completely-not-on-purpose found themselves living in de facto whites-only communities. Marin County, Scottsdale, New Hampshire. But maybe you're the exception. Prove me wrong. Post up your zip code and let's check it out.

I am a brown person.

I have seen this racist argument before.

It goes as follows, said from a non-brown person to another non-brown person:

You like those brown people.
You think they're great.
Why don't you go live where they live, since you think they're so great?
Why are you living here, with us non-brown people?
Ah, see, you don't live where they live because you secretly think they're not so great.
But you just want to say and be seen to say brown-positive things.
Clearly you are a hypocrite because you say one thing and do another.

Absurd, I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
If you hate racism so much, why don't you contribute more to gentrification? Hmmmmmmm?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

His argument is that living with non-whites makes you racist?

I feel like there is a lot of evidence to the contrary, but ok go off

I got into a huge argument with a racist at a wedding once and one of his big GOTCHA points was that the only reason white liberals (he was a white conservative) aren't racist against black people is because they don't live near black people and "don't know what they're really like." :whitewater:

"Have you ever lived in a majority black neighborhood?"
"No, I haven't."
"Okay so then you don't know their culture. You can't talk about how black people are cause you don't know. I've grown up around them and I know what they're like. And it's a culture that glorifies violence and breaking the law, and--"

It was a really astonishing thing to experience. I argued against his points pretty well, I thought, but he was so perfectly prepared. It was like debating the bible with one of those westboro baptist church nutjobs. Just bam bam bam instant practiced responses straight out of an Aryan Nation pamphlet. "Oh black people are poor because of structural racism? Well why aren't asian people poor, then, they're also a minority, they aren't poor and they don't commit crimes, how about that?"

The other people at the table were stunned into silence the entire time, aside from one Chinese guy who tried to get in a few words about railroad workers and internment but was immediately rebutted with some other specious bullshit. After it was all over and the racist had left, and I was still shaking, one of the other guests found me and hugged me and said "oh my god I'm so glad you did that, I knew everything he was saying was wrong but I couldn't think how to answer him and you said all the right things and tried so hard and he's just SO RACIST and"...

Hadn't thought about that incident in years. woof

Oh! Anyway he was also a motorcyclist. He probably posts on ADVRider. Prior to this incident we had rented motorcycles to ride around (it was a multi-day destination wedding) and he dropped his while carrying one of the lady guests on the back. Total winner.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 27, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You met the final boss of ADVRIDER, but you need to level up against lower level racists first.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
pro-tip:

never try to convince people like that of anything.

when you engage, your mission is just to clown them.

it's not, "anti-blackness is in every part of our culture blah blah blah"

it's, "have you ever left your hometown? do you hide in the bushes when you hear rap? where did obama touch you? if you're so tough and down to boog, why are you scared to take a vacation to california?"

in my sassier days, I went to the first tea party rally on my lunch break and just told boomers to get a loving job.

you can't win their game, so play your own. it's a lot more fun!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I usually just call them a loving racist and spit beer on them.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Greg12 posted:

when you engage, your mission is just to clown them.

you can't win their game, so play your own. it's a lot more fun!

This.

Locally, the they're-just-not-like-us-they're-violent-drug-dealing-gangbangers-and-rapists is usually a veneer over the racism directed at refugees. So when it's a group setting, I (a big bald white guy) nod and smile and agree and let them dig for a bit, and then eventually say "You know, it's weird, but my mum's family are all refugees, and I never noticed any of that stuff" (which is true), and then stop smiling and maintain eye contact. It's not exactly fun, but it's real loving satisfying watching someone realise they're not having the conversation they thought they were having.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How many have then trotted out the old chestnut "you're probably one of the good ones", thereby not engaging with the you being white bit of it?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Prior to this incident we had rented motorcycles to ride around (it was a multi-day destination wedding) and he dropped his while carrying one of the lady guests on the back.
Literally dropped his bike while a Female (that sex of the species which operates without higher strategic thinking abilities and which must be dominated culturally and sexually in order to maintain the stability of advanced civilization) was sitting on the back? Awkward!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

How many have then trotted out the old chestnut "you're probably one of the good ones", thereby not engaging with the you being white bit of it?

The usual phrasing is "it's different now", but yeah.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Literally dropped his bike while a Female (that sex of the species which operates without higher strategic thinking abilities and which must be dominated culturally and sexually in order to maintain the stability of advanced civilization) was sitting on the back? Awkward!

I sure hope that you're doing an ADVrider bit because this thread goes real hard on Poe's Law.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Of course it's a bit calm down.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
imagine being so loving woke you can no longer distinguish obvious satire

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Sufficiently advanced satire is indistinguishable from actual stupidity

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shelvocke posted:

Sufficiently advanced satire is indistinguishable from actual stupidity

Sagebrush posted:

Poe's Law.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

californians lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*ferengi voice* females

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:females:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Razzled posted:

Oh no it's a level above even that. I couldn't decide if the Rev. Dr. was doing a bit imitating what someone on ADVrider might say, earnestly proclaiming that :females: are the lesser sex -- or being even more woke than I by sarcastically implying that it's sexist to suggest that dumping the bike with a lady on the back is notably worse than dumping it with a man.

right arm posted:

californians lol

don't even get me started. it's really loving exhausting at times. currently the hot topic of discussion is an article about whether White Allies are good or actually bad

Living inside my head for the last 11 months is driving me loving insane

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 2, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao this is great

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I guess I don't post enough for anyone to have assumptions about my world view so I admit to falling afoul of Poe's Law there. Yes, it was satire.

Also I may not be woke enough to know what "white allies" means, is that whites who are allies to minority causes or whites who are allies to whitedom?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I guess I don't post enough for anyone to have assumptions about my world view so I admit to falling afoul of Poe's Law there. Yes, it was satire.

Also I may not be woke enough to know what "white allies" means, is that whites who are allies to minority causes or whites who are allies to whitedom?

IIRC white allies are friendly neutral factions you can bring into your empire through economic or cultural conquest, you can change settings so they appear as blue or yellow if it makes it easier

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

White allies are your tour guide and sidekick to navigating white spaces, but you can only get one if you let them touch your hair.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

White allies are people who are white and also, for example, support BLM, are not racist, oppose discrimination and so on.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
it was extremely important last summer to suss out whether to use "ally," "accomplice," or "co-conspirator."

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slogans ..... add yours.

quote:

I'm saving up for a girlfriend their expensive. Bought a Drz400sm instead came with a warranty

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

https://advrider.com/why-there-are-so-few-women-riders/

This article seems to hypothesize:

1) Women are human beings
2) Like the same things as men

Based on the comments below it I remain unconvinced.

:hmmyes:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Unlike men, who don't get motorcycles for the attention.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

White allies are people who are white and also, for example, support BLM, are not racist, oppose discrimination and so on.

That's the face of it, but I get the sense that lately there's a big undercurrent of "white people who loudly proclaim sympathy to minority causes but do dick-all to actually advance them, getting all of the attention with none of the work"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gorson posted:

https://advrider.com/why-there-are-so-few-women-riders/

This article seems to hypothesize:

1) Women are human beings
2) Like the same things as men

Based on the comments below it I remain unconvinced.

:hmmyes:

Oh man the comments

Lol user John Gault just losing his poo poo in there

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 5, 2021

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Believe me, 99% of the attention you get is the kind of attention nobody wants

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
ADVrider poster period advertisements

a look at why they think it's ok to talk like that around other humans

Is there some context to this that makes it make any sense?

oh to be a white baby boomer man in the 70s

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Greg12 posted:

ADVrider poster period advertisements

a look at why they think it's ok to talk like that around other humans

Yeah, that’s the only thing you’ll be saying after you buy a Norton with a rotary engine in it

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I want to keep posting old ads with gross copy next to the 70s model, but that would make me the ADVRider guy posting 70s babe ads.

So I'll just put the copy that grosses me out.

"Vital Statistics" next to a woman's rrraow [monkey noise] hubba hubba [wolf whistle] *pant pant* howling wolf statistics
"Rideability", superimposed over a babe with a bike in the middle distance
"Visible persuasion" with a babe and bike

boomers on moped message boards are so much worse.
the teenage models in the ads they post are portrayed as actually being teens so that they can sell mopeds to 13-year-olds.

"why do women keep saying they don't feel welcome in motorcycling?!"

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Greg12 posted:

“race bred through and through”

dog racing, maybe?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Greg12 posted:

"why do women keep saying they don't feel welcome in motorcycling?!"

:iiam:

Norton made a rotary motorcycle? Must have been a pinnacle of reliability.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Greg12 posted:

boomers on moped message boards are so much worse.
the teenage models in the ads they post are portrayed as actually being teens so that they can sell mopeds to 13-year-olds.
Moped boards? What's this? I have the vague sense that moped culture is fairly "alternative" and friendly to all, so this sounds strange to me

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Moped boards? What's this? I have the vague sense that moped culture is fairly "alternative" and friendly to all, so this sounds strange to me

oh, the boomers are outliers. they're like advriders, but with the added layer of being the kind of weirdo who decided in 1978, as a grown adult, that mopeds, toy motorcycles built by moribund companies in former Habsburg lands and certified for importing so that grandma could go to the A&P to pick up a pound of butter at 120mpg, were going to be their life's passion.

everyone else is a creaky middle-aged former hipster who pulls them out once a month for a burger ride with the old gang

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

:iiam:

Norton made a rotary motorcycle? Must have been a pinnacle of reliability.

They made several. The F1 is the one everyone remembers because it was the homologation special for the TT and BSB-winning RCW, but there was also the Classic, which was their first one (started off with a licence-built Suzuki engine but massively tweaked), then their own twin-rotor design in the Commander (a sports-tourer) and the Interpol (a Commander with bigger built-in storage and 24V electrics for police and military use).

Funnily enough they weren't actually as catastrophically bad as "Wankel-engined British bike" would make you believe, but by the time the water-cooled engine made it to production (which fixed most of the biggest problems with the air-cooled originals) the Fireblade had come out and it might as well have been steam-driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Greg12 posted:

oh, the boomers are outliers. they're like advriders, but with the added layer of being the kind of weirdo who decided in 1978, as a grown adult, that mopeds, toy motorcycles built by moribund companies in former Habsburg lands and certified for importing so that grandma could go to the A&P to pick up a pound of butter at 120mpg, were going to be their life's passion.

everyone else is a creaky middle-aged former hipster who pulls them out once a month for a burger ride with the old gang

Do not mopedshame lest you get a kit thrown at you