Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
level 45 is when Scholar gets Lustrate and becomes the coolest healer for the rest of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've finally, FINALLY gotten to the beginning of Shadowbringers. Due to everything from finances to life changes, it's taken me over a year. At this point, I'm worried that I've built it up too much in my mind; I started playing because people were saying that the story to Shadowbringers was worth the potentially hundreds of hours it took to get there. At this point, I'm worried I've built it up too much in my mind, though. Anyone else start the game because of Shadowbringers buzz, and should I temper my expectations, or just allow myself to get super excited? For what it's worth, I have really liked the story so far, though it hasn't been perfect.

If you liked the story so far then you should be fine with ShB.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kadorhal posted:

Does the regular version have any significant problems running through Steam as a non-Steam game, then? I remember Discord's overlay crashed my game often and with great enthusiasm until I turned it off, if those sort of problems are specific to Discord's overlay then she could just get the regular version and run it as a non-Steam game to share her screenshots.

No, I've been running as a non steam game while using discord for years without any problems.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've finally, FINALLY gotten to the beginning of Shadowbringers. Due to everything from finances to life changes, it's taken me over a year. At this point, I'm worried that I've built it up too much in my mind; I started playing because people were saying that the story to Shadowbringers was worth the potentially hundreds of hours it took to get there. At this point, I'm worried I've built it up too much in my mind, though. Anyone else start the game because of Shadowbringers buzz, and should I temper my expectations, or just allow myself to get super excited? For what it's worth, I have really liked the story so far, though it hasn't been perfect.

Was in the exact same boat. Expected to come out of ShB ready to post that it was good but not what everyone hyped it up as, as a lot of these things tend to go.

I was wrong and was completely blown away. Enjoy the ride

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I got back into the game because of Shadowbringers (and the 5.3 patch that trimmed the ARR stuff), and it definitely lived up to the hype. Especially up through the end of 5.3, actually, which is the proper end of that whole storyline.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Im playing through it right now and while its still campy at times, its got character moments that rival some of the ones in FF15.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Control Volume posted:

Im playing through it right now and while its still campy at times, its got character moments that rival some of the ones in FF15.

Hey, I may not be the biggest fan of parts of Shadowbringers, but even at its worst it doesn't deserve THAT insult.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I mean, if there's one thing you can praise XV for it's its character moments.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cleretic posted:

Hey, I may not be the biggest fan of parts of Shadowbringers, but even at its worst it doesn't deserve THAT insult.

What insult :confused:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Cleretic hates FFXV and as you know their opinions on video games are objective and factual representations of reality

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why be aggro about someone expressing what is clearly a positive comparison, even if you disagree that the comparison is positive

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
15 was a bunch of character moments caught up in a terrible plot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

15's plot has issues but its a hell of a lot more interesting than anything that happens for the first like 50 hours of ff14, lets be real.

edit: except the dick joke in the leviathan arc, thats a pretty good dick joke

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Maybe my opinions on FFXV's character moments are just soured by how much I hated its gameplay, storyline, bugs, terrible character designs, lack of prominent female characters, and just poor characters in general.

Genuinely, the only 'character moments' in the game I actually remember were:
-A scene with Prompto that I did not listen to because Prompto was the lowlight of the game,
-Some generally alright moments acknowledging the struggles of Ignis going blind, that the game probably could've stood to be a little clearer on because it still took me a few scenes to figure out it happened and I already knew he would,
-Cup Noodle.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

FFXV would have been better if there was an option for prompto to do the entire soundtrack instead of just occasionally humming the victory fanfare after a fight

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

all i know about FFXV is that the voice actor for Gladio is the same voice actor as Junkrat

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

15's plot has issues but its a hell of a lot more interesting than anything that happens for the first like 50 hours of ff14, lets be real.

edit: except the dick joke in the leviathan arc, thats a pretty good dick joke

15 barely has a plot, all the heavy lifting is done with outside materials. I literally had no idea what was happening and why throughout the run time

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Endorph posted:

why be aggro about someone expressing what is clearly a positive comparison, even if you disagree that the comparison is positive

Seriously, jesus.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cleretic posted:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

There are plots in FFXIV solely involving the massaging of naked muscle men with oil that are better than the entire plot of FFXV, character scenes and all.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

But hey, at least we can all agree that even XV is better than XIII.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

But hey, at least we can all agree that even XV is better than XIII.

:mad:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
XIII and its direct sequels are at least trying and failing to do some interesting things, which I do respect. I don't think I'd have had it in me to like XV even if it did stick the landing, because I'm not interested in anything it wants to try, but it fumbled basically every aspect on top of that.

To me, XV aimed for mediocrity and fell short.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
XV aimed to be a boy band road trip where it was all about their relationships and interactions and it hit that nail incredibly hard over and over again to the detriment of every other part of the game. the one thing it succeeded at was hitting exactly where it was aiming, which is why the ending lands so hard like you said.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I thought the line was "Piss off, kupo"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/zucchini_loaf/status/1366252301086720000

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The fishing story has been really nice so far.

Ocean fishing is kinda fun too but man, some trips suck really bad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

welp, i can't make or spend any more money now

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Nice

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Impressive and also give me some gil lol

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I remember the "welcome to galdin quay!" voice line from 15 better than I remember most people I went to high school with

I think the only voice line from 14 I remember that well is Urianger's "All that I have and more, I bring to bear!" and that's just because I exclusively did trusts to level every job from 70-80

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Draxion posted:

I think the only voice line from 14 I remember that well is Urianger's "All that I have and more, I bring to bear!" and that's just because I exclusively did trusts to level every job from 70-80

TELL ME, FOR WHOM DO YOU FIGHT?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If you don't have "We did everything right!" etched into your brain...

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

If you don't have "We did everything right!" etched into your brain...

Oof, yeah, that line connects.

Also, Shadowbringers is fantastic. Hands down best villain. A story that would actually be a good story outside of a video game. I'd argue a few minor hiccups, but hiccups which have a graceful recovery every time. And I know the music is good through the whole game, but the music is fantastic here.

I think 5.3 is the height of the game so far for me.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Draxion posted:

I exclusively did trusts to level every job from 70-80
...I hope you're exaggerating for comedic effect, or else we may have to get you committed. :psyduck: I don't think it's possible to have that much patience for Trusts.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have such patience, because I get to enjoy the company of my wife Y'shtola no matter what role I play.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Yapping Eevee posted:

...I hope you're exaggerating for comedic effect, or else we may have to get you committed. :psyduck: I don't think it's possible to have that much patience for Trusts.

Yeah, I did LDR also and Frontlines/MSQ occasionally, but it was pretty much fine. Just took a very long time. It takes like 15-20? dungeons to go from 70-80 with full armory bonus, which is like 8-10 hours of trusts? And I'd do a couple a night while I was home doing nothing for a few months last year, after graduating and while my job was still closed during early covid. I also watched a lot of japanese pro wrestling during this.

Draxion fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 1, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Eh, trusts are pretty zero effort if you run DPS. Just run up, tap a pack, then afk while the rest of the group slowly kills them.

The only times you actually have to play are during boss fights.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Grand Company Command missions were a core part of how I leveled most jobs from 20-50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I liked FF15 despite not understanding the plot at all because it relied on you watching like 10 different expository movies and poo poo.

That being said I’m pretty happy square learned a lesson from it and from FF14 and handed FF16 over to yoshi-p and his all star team. I’m sure FF16 will have some spin-off media and DLC, but I know Yoshi-p and his crew can and will deliver a feature and story complete game on release day.

It’s baffling how much that single guy and his team has restored my faith in the FF franchise after watching it decline hard over the past decade.