Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
So I talked to my boss and a couple of structural engineers at work today about the land situation. They agree not to spend more money on the property. My boss still prefers the idea of me getting it as long as the owner refinances the property and makes an effort to make it sellable. Other than that he agrees with what my friends on the internet say. Except he didn't seem thrilled about reinvesting the money into the suspension. He didn't say no, but he wasn't thrilled with the idea. This is partly because our state doesn't include the suspension as part of our safety inspection other than if the steering works good enough which echoes what my mechanic friend was saying. Still I think im going to get it done anyway.

Also, the structural engineers didn't batt an eye about the though of French doors in the box truck. They mentioned that they have a relative that does conversions and builds tiny homes for a living. I can probably network with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rytheric posted:

Also, the structural engineers didn't batt an eye about the though of French doors in the box truck. They mentioned that they have a relative that does conversions and builds tiny homes for a living. I can probably network with him.

Without going into any stupid engineering specialty jokes moving stuff with doors like aircraft, recreational vehicles, boats and trains are specialties in mechanical engineering. Structural engineering is a specialty in civil engineering.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea a structural engineer with no automotive engineering experience commenting on how to mount french doors in a box truck is out of their depth and you could consider their info unreliable going forward unless strictly in their profession.

You frankly need to mount the door frame on bushings that flex when the box does to absorb the motion otherwise you'll have doors that will quickly come out of tolerance. But that is completely separate of the incredible (relative to a slab build) sheer strength the door frame is going to require to make such a system work.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 28, 2021

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.

um excuse me posted:

Yea a structural engineer with no automotive engineering experience commenting on how to mount french doors in a box truck is out of their depth and you could consider their info unreliable going forward unless strictly in their profession.

You frankly need to mount the door frame on bushings that flex when the box does to absorb the motion otherwise you'll have doors that will quickly come out of tolerance. But that is completely separate of the incredible (relative to a slab build) sheer strength the door frame is going to require to make such a system work.

So like make an interior frame bolted to the stick framing with rubber washers. I was going to see how it goes normally as a dry run then make adjustments as needed.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

um excuse me posted:

But that is completely separate of the sheer strength the door frame is going to require to make such a system work.

I think you mean shear strength. :dadjoke:

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Another thing I was going to do with the doors was have a cushion on the top and bottom of the doors that fill the gap above and below the doors. Im rather fond of the door shoes that people attach to the bottom of the doors to prevent draft. I figured this would help with some of the rattling and the draft of course.

Edit: kind of like this but modified to have more cushioning below the door.
https://www.amazon.com/VISEMAN-Stop...la-679348395329

Rytheric fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 28, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rytheric posted:

So like make an interior frame bolted to the stick framing with rubber washers. I was going to see how it goes normally as a dry run then make adjustments as needed.

Yea pretty much. Your doors are inflexible. So the frame also has to be rigid, but the box flexes as you drive, so something has to give. Adding bushings makes it so you added something to flex by design. Like I said earlier though, the frame that holds the door is going to have to be build heavier and stronger than a regular house wall. It honestly might be stronger and lighter if you made a steel frame and then added your aesthetic to that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Film crew trucks often have normal looking doors behind the outer door, you might want to look into how they do it.

That sort of thing is fairly common

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Grip trucks are totally different animals than small box trucks.
btdt.
E:

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 1, 2021

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

:ck5:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hair/makeup and wardrobe get the really nice trucks with glass doors

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

So, can confirm. Charging my GroverBattery with the GroverEngine and sitting on the back porch. I can definitely smell the exhaust coming up through the floor. But not from inside the bedroom and the bedrooms CO alarm is not going off. Good thing I went with the open porch concept instead of the enclosed tearoom.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

So, can confirm. Charging my GroverBattery with the GroverEngine and sitting on the back porch. I can definitely smell the exhaust coming up through the floor. But not from inside the bedroom and the bedrooms CO alarm is not going off. Good thing I went with the open porch concept instead of the enclosed tearoom.

The alarm is set to warn you when the CO levels get life-threatening. Lower levels can still gently caress with you, especially if they are constant. Headaches, irritability, etc.

Get the exhaust fixed.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Reminder that you CAN'T FUCKIN SMELL CO HOLY poo poo, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SMELL THE EXHAUST AND THE DETECTOR IS SILENT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE SAFE.

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

PathAsc posted:

Reminder that you CAN'T FUCKIN SMELL CO HOLY poo poo, JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SMELL THE EXHAUST AND THE DETECTOR IS SILENT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE SAFE.

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Fix the thing

Next time I run it, I will check the ppm number.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rytheric posted:

If you can smell the exhaust coming through the floor then stop the motor while you are inside the box and air it out. CO is not something to gently caress with.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Rytheric posted:

Long term exposure to low levels of CO is still loving bad. Just because your life isn't in immediate danger doesn't mean it's not in danger. 10ppm is enough to cause problems.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Rytheric posted:

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

Fix the thing

Exhaust under box is bad

I literally want you to not die, the ppm reading means gently caress all when you have the exhaust all hosed up as it is. You are sitting on a poison death waiting to strike.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fermented Tinal posted:

Long term exposure to low levels of CO is still loving bad. Just because your life isn't in immediate danger doesn't mean it's not in danger. 10ppm is enough to cause problems.

Please listen to Tinal.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Much like the Wu-Tang Clan, CO exposure ain’t nuthing ta gently caress wit

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

I’m in the car industry, did I miss out on wild car chat? And weird wrong accusations from both sides.

Uh besides the cinder block thing, do not do that unless you have a death wish. Actually just don’t do that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Nah, don't worry about the CO. It'll be a learning experience to prove whether or not your lungs rely on hemoglobin's ability to reversibly bond with O2 and CO2 and if CO irreversibly bonds with it.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Someone linked this thread in the gbs shad thread and I'd like to say as a carsual [car casual] and general lurker that I don't want to see people die of car bonfires or self assisted gas deaths. Like... It's not worth it for internet comedy or whatever. God speed your weird project otherwise.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Rytheric posted:

Thank you. I was expecting to spend 3-4 grand. I may have been going all spendthrift but I priced everything from rock out including brakes and calipers at $2000 and I figure half to the same amount in labor if I sent it to be worked on.

Edit: problem is. How am I supposed to entertain these fine people while it's in the shop? Lol

You have a 1:12 scale diorama to build out of wood and paper mache.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You don’t want to mess with carbon monoxide. You have other AI posters who know much more about the other stuff than me. Just be safe your life is the only one you got. Don’t take dumb chances with fumes and such, if you want to crap in a hole in the ground well Godspeed no complaints.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Applause for your dedication to the scientific method. Without trying it out yourself how could you know that exhausting underneath a metal box leads to exhaust being in the metal box?

This really isn't something that you needed to test.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CO Gas aint nothin to gently caress with
Co Gas aint nothin to gently caress with..
CO Gas aint nothin to gently caress with

Yo there's no place to hide from the gas inside your room
Dr Rye prepare for the Gas
Cough aw man I suck gas, now scream like crazyman
Brain be tossing and flossing kuz teh gas aint awesome
My brain's goin crazyier than the zaraugman son
As the forums sayd you're dead
Fatal gas in teh box truck fucks up your head
MZA who was that, Rye the Wu is back
Makin exhaust heads make BO BO CO comin out the CAT
Me fear no gas oh no here come
The Cee-Oh shogun killer to the Lung

Seriously though.. maybe instead of living in a death trap you fix some of the pressing issues, or maybe go buy a vehicle that's purpose built to live in. Low levels of CO can still make you go crazy, like there's been people who haven't died but gone crazy.. most notably: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/34l7vo/ma_postit_notes_left_in_apartment/

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
"Ima put your house box, just your house box, over the tailpipe and then BLAOW! with the CO"

"I'll fuckin, I'll fuckin seal your bedroom shut and just keep leaking CO and leaking CO and leaking CO"

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
A lot of these frankly baffling decisions could be caused by carbon monoxide exposure.

Please get it checked out.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Rytheric posted:

hey guys check out my new breathing apparatus! it goes outside the box truck and the exhaust goes down so it should be fine!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rytheric posted:

So I talked to my boss and a couple of structural engineers at work today about the land situation. They agree not to spend more money on the property. My boss still prefers the idea of me getting it as long as the owner refinances the property and makes an effort to make it sellable. Other than that he agrees with what my friends on the internet say. Except he didn't seem thrilled about reinvesting the money into the suspension. He didn't say no, but he wasn't thrilled with the idea. This is partly because our state doesn't include the suspension as part of our safety inspection other than if the steering works good enough which echoes what my mechanic friend was saying. Still I think im going to get it done anyway.

Why does your boss have any say on how you spend your money on the truck, again?

Also your colleagues have very bad opinions.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Space Kablooey posted:

Why does your boss have any say on how you spend your money on the truck, again?

I think this was more of a "didn't say I shouldn't" rather than "didn't deny permission", but yeah I did get an odd married couple / findom vibe there.

Rytheric, just for some background if I remember my high school biology correctly, CO fucks you up over long term exposure to even small amounts because it attaches onto your blood cells permanently, taking up a spot that would normally be used by O2 (or CO2? Or both? It's been like 20 years).

That means you progressively lose breathing capacity until such a time as those red blood cells die and are replaced. Which is.. (google google google) 5 months?

The amount of CO you're exposed to only changes how fast you lose the ability to breathe, and I think CO alarms go off when it's like "you will die tonight" rates of exposure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

Also your colleagues have very bad opinions.

boss is a millionaire and is a financial guru for the Rytheriac. I think also the boss wants a good place for ry to move his stuff so he can stop renting the room from bossman in a year.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Hey the CO exposure probably isn’t that big a deal, it’s not like he has any other breathing issues.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I think this was more of a "didn't say I shouldn't" rather than "didn't deny permission", but yeah I did get an odd married couple / findom vibe there.

Rytheric, just for some background if I remember my high school biology correctly, CO fucks you up over long term exposure to even small amounts because it attaches onto your blood cells permanently, taking up a spot that would normally be used by O2 (or CO2? Or both? It's been like 20 years).

That means you progressively lose breathing capacity until such a time as those red blood cells die and are replaced. Which is.. (google google google) 5 months?

The amount of CO you're exposed to only changes how fast you lose the ability to breathe, and I think CO alarms go off when it's like "you will die tonight" rates of exposure.

Long term low exposure has lots of very weird side effects too.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412018312807

Exposure above 1000ppm affects decision making for one.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just let us know if someone starts leaving cryptic post-its in your handwriting.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The Marlboro Man and Joe Camel don't like to hear you guys say bad things about carbon monoxide.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is incredible to me that spending a couple grand on suspension seems fine to OP but spending a couple hundred on having an exhaust shop route the pipe properly is just a bridge too far.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Is this the prequel to Memento we didn't know we wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Leperflesh posted:

It is incredible to me that spending a couple grand on suspension seems fine to OP but spending a couple hundred on having an exhaust shop route the pipe properly is just a bridge too far.

It's an entire thread of that my friend