Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It also helped that back then most of the Star Wars fan films made were parodies instead of dorks running around in the woods with lightsabers. I remember Stargeeks, Troops, and George Lucas in Love being pretty solid comedy shorts.

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NATeU-r0GDU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HopperUK posted:

It's bananas how good and impactful the recurring cast is on DS9.

There was a point in season 5 or 6 where I was watching a scene with Rom, Leeta and Nog, and I was surprised to find how deeply invested I was in all these tertiary alien characters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/gaghyogi49/status/1366064231922233344

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

https://twitter.com/Kunochan/status/1366119265783320576?s=20

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's why Genesis was able to resurrect Spock! It all makes sense now...

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

BonHair posted:

Anyway, what about board games? That seems like an ideal niche for Trek, but the only example I can think of is Star Catan (which is incidentally considered one of the best Catans I think). There's so many ways to mash Trek into a boardgame, and if it's mechanically sound, non-Trekkies will also buy it. You can do anything from lots of minis like Imperial Assault or even a Twilight Emperium knock-off to some puzzle type warp engine optimization thing and lots in between.

There's Allegiance, which is more of a wargame.

edit: Oh wait, I think Bone6 has it right.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Yep, filed a breach of contract lawsuit in 2003 arguing that they were killing the brand and its marketing potential because they cancelled Voyager and Deep Space Nine, had only made one TNG film over the course of their tenure with the license (Nemesis), and Enterprise was a dogshit ratings black hole that caused people to throw their TVs off their balconies rather than tune in to watch it.

Les Moonves responded to their allegations by promptly cancelling Enterprise and then wandering off to go sexually assault another CBS intern.
I've started to suspect in recent years that this suit was a ploy by Activision to dump the less-profitable-than-expected Trek license in such a way that they could get rid of it immediately and not have to incur any sort of contractual penalties. I have nothing to prove this, of course, but it's a scumbag move I wouldn't put past Activision.

Trek gaming was kinda weird in the mid-1990s. Rather than giving a license for the entire franchise to a specific publisher, different publishers were given specific licenses for different series. If memory serves, Interplay got TOS and the TOS movies, Micropose got TNG until 1996, after which it was bundled with the VOY license and given to Activision. Meanwhile, DS9 ended up with Simon and Schuster Interactive, the short-lived software arm of the publishing company that was owned by Paramount owner Viacom at the time. As a result every publisher had to stick in a narrow era, which is how we got things like the 4x game Birth of the Federation not having any TOS-era ships or Nor-type mining stations for the Cardassians to build, while the Defiant and Sovereign could get in the game because they were in FC.

In retrospect, Activision did seem to be trying to spin Trek off into a wide range of game genres to see what would stick. We had FPSes with the Elite Force games, a third-person adventure game with Hidden Evil, an isometric squad tactics game with Away Team, an RTS with the Armadas, naval combat sims with Starfleet Command 3 and Bridge Commander, and even a 4X with Borg Assimilator, though that one never saw the light of day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Blimey, STO is 11 years old.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Activision definitely tried a bunch of different things, it's just that a lot of them didn't work well. But when I think of iconic Trek games they are almost all from them.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Marshal Radisic posted:

an isometric squad tactics game with Away Team

There really needs to be another one of these now that Firaxis has effectively re-codified how squad tactics should look and feel with the modern XCOM games. XCOM 2 in particular has all the trappings for Star Trek already, just turn the Avenger into a starship, toss it into space, adapt the geoscape map into a galaxy map, and take the rest from there. Other games like Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander got pretty close to Enemy Unknown's base hub structure but with totally different combat, even a Star Trek version of that would be interesting to fiddle with.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't even know what my ideal Trek game would look like. In Star Wars, you obviously want telekinetic powers and guns and laser swords or fast-paced dogfights in space, all of which are easily achievable with the modern video game toolbox. What do I want out of a Star Trek game? Diplomacy? Quaint little ethical problems? Maybe an immersive sim or Telltale-style CYOA.

Is there any way to download Stage 9 these days? Is that :filez:?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

Is there any way to download Stage 9 these days? Is that :filez:?

Yeah, basically.

My ideal Trek game is something akin to Mass Effect 1. You’d explore a planet, drive around, find little things here and there, some adding up to a bigger plot, and others being just strange small moments. The galaxy felt huge, and it was all yours to explore.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

HopperUK posted:

It's bananas how good and impactful the recurring cast is on DS9.

damar shows up for like a dozen episodes, brunt only shows up for 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rACCZaBcq1g
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TcNT1-3pUU
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ_F-_EGzqg

each of these videos says more about weyoun and dukat than literally the entire non-main bridge crew on discovery have gotten combined in three full seasons. absurd

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 1, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The C&D that the Stage 9 developers were socked with was pretty firm, to the point that all extant builds vanished overnight and I believe one of the devs was anonymously quoted as saying they were told that they would suffer the wrath of the lawyers if any build were to accidentally "leak."

I don't think it will ever see the light of day again, but in fairness, we do live in a world in which the GoldenEye 007 HD port for the Xbox 360 suddenly emerged on torrent sites out of nowhere and has been confirmed by ex-Rare guys as being essentially a 90-something-percent final version, so you never know...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You can still very easily find magnet links for torrents (I just looked, it took me 5 seconds).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We already have the perfect Star Trek game. Bridge Crew.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

We already have the perfect Star Trek game. Bridge Crew.

More like the perfect nausea and projectile vomiting generator.

(I can't do VR at all, I get violently ill within a few minutes, no matter which headset. :()

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

More like the perfect nausea and projectile vomiting generator.

(I can't do VR at all, I get violently ill within a few minutes, no matter which headset. :()

I know it's made for VR but you don't have to use it, so there's that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lester Shy posted:

I don't even know what my ideal Trek game would look like. In Star Wars, you obviously want telekinetic powers and guns and laser swords or fast-paced dogfights in space, all of which are easily achievable with the modern video game toolbox. What do I want out of a Star Trek game? Diplomacy? Quaint little ethical problems? Maybe an immersive sim or Telltale-style CYOA.

Episodic Telltale-style CYOA would fit Trek great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Episodic Telltale-style CYOA would fit Trek great.

So, basically, updated 25th Anniversary / Judgment Rites / A Final Unity, ideally with fewer puzzles that require 31 flavors of utter bullshit to solve them.

I'd be all over that.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Marshal Radisic posted:

Trek gaming was kinda weird in the mid-1990s. Rather than giving a license for the entire franchise to a specific publisher, different publishers were given specific licenses for different series.

Same with other forms of merchandise - for most of the lifespan of Decipher's CCG, Fleer still had the license for TOS cards, so when Decipher wanted to do cards for the OS bridge crew, they had to use the loophole of making them specifically based on their appearances in "Trials and Tribbleations".

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Giant skulls or not, that shot of the Genesis cave from Wrath of Khan would be a perfect look for a new Star Trek point-and-click adventure game or CRPG. A Telltale-style adventure game would be cool too with the right budget, I feel like they'd need something way closer to Dontnod's production values than what Telltale had to work with towards the end.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

They already made the best Star Trek game, it was called Elite Force and it allowed you to kill Janeway and Neelix as the Doctor in a deathmatch.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Organic Lube User posted:

They already made the best Star Trek game, it was called Elite Force and it allowed you to kill Janeway and Neelix as the Doctor in a deathmatch.
It was a cool concept at the time that you could go to all of the different areas of the ship. I remember they released a free-roam mode with the expansion that came out which added a few things and also replaced the voice actress who did Seven in the original game with Jeri Ryan. I forget why, but Ryan was the only cast member in the game who wasn't their actor. They fixed it with the add-on.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Marshal Radisic posted:

In retrospect, Activision did seem to be trying to spin Trek off into a wide range of game genres to see what would stick. We had FPSes with the Elite Force games, a third-person adventure game with Hidden Evil, an isometric squad tactics game with Away Team, an RTS with the Armadas, naval combat sims with Starfleet Command 3 and Bridge Commander, and even a 4X with Borg Assimilator, though that one never saw the light of day.

And yet somehow never an RPG. Idiots.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was a cool concept at the time that you could go to all of the different areas of the ship. I remember they released a free-roam mode with the expansion that came out which added a few things and also replaced the voice actress who did Seven in the original game with Jeri Ryan.

I'd love an immersive sim that used the Enterprise-D deckplans.

Delsaber posted:

Giant skulls or not, that shot of the Genesis cave from Wrath of Khan would be a perfect look for a new Star Trek point-and-click adventure game or CRPG. A Telltale-style adventure game would be cool too with the right budget, I feel like they'd need something way closer to Dontnod's production values than what Telltale had to work with towards the end.

Do it right and they could build up shipboard sets to make it cheaper over time.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Worms but spaceships.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Bridge crew was great, but they stopped supporting it, so we got like 3 ships and the same 5 missions

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

With a portable photon torpedo`launcher. One of my favorite FPS weapons of all time.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Think of a TNG ship battle. Think of a game of Worms. Think of replacing "exploding sheep" with "uses own logic against you." This problem is solved

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sunless Sea but in TOS times exploring beyond known space, with a little less madness and death and a little more peaceful resolution opportunities (but not much, TOS was pretty high on cosmic threats and space madness in the grand scheme).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TOS is basically a horror anthology. The amount of body horror stuff that happens to people on that ship is incredible. Just another day on the job and you’re turned into a tiny dodecahedron and crushed into dust by some guy or have your brain erased by a space probe and need to be taught how to read and move your limbs again by the nurse on duty in sickbay.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Sunless Sea but in TOS times exploring beyond known space, with a little less madness and death and a little more peaceful resolution opportunities (but not much, TOS was pretty high on cosmic threats and space madness in the grand scheme).

I'd buy this in a second. I've gotten really into Fallen London stuff over the last few years, a similar Star Trek game with good enough writing could be a blast. The Sunless games also have a bit of Escape Velocity's loop going on which would be a great fit.

If anyone's curious about Sunless Sea it's free on Epic for the next few days.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

mllaneza posted:

With a portable photon torpedo`launcher. One of my favorite FPS weapons of all time.

Elite Force was fantastic! Honestly the friends I made playing that game on teamspeak got me through kind of a lovely period there in high school.

>DG< for life!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Marshal Radisic posted:

Going to nitpick here that Activision weren't the ones first pushing into some of those genres; Interplay did third-person adventure games in the mid-90s with 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, they started the "naval combat sim" (i.e. computerized adaptation of Star Fleet Battles) with the first Starfleet Command and did Starfleet Academy as well. MicroProse did the first Trek 4X with Birth of the Federation.

Also since we're talking about old Trek games, I love this video pitch for a game that never got produced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrqcawTaWqg

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Elite Force was bonkers as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YdWl8dFnVY

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Going to nitpick here that Activision weren't the ones first pushing into some of those genres; Interplay did third-person adventure games in the mid-90s with 25th Anniversary and Judgment Rites, they started the "naval combat sim" (i.e. computerized adaptation of Star Fleet Battles) with the first Starfleet Command and did Starfleet Academy as well. MicroProse did the first Trek 4X with Birth of the Federation.

Also since we're talking about old Trek games, I love this video pitch for a game that never got produced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrqcawTaWqg

Oh, I absolutely agree; MicroProse even got the first Trek FPS out with Klingon Honor Guard in 1998. Activision just seemed to be the most aggressive in trying to fit Trek into as many different game genres as possible.

Oh, and speaking of Klingon Honor Guard, I just remembered this magazine cover. I'll have to check in with the classic FPS thread, but I think a case could be made that KHG was the "best" one of the three shown off.

https://twitter.com/MeidoMatsuri/status/1298674963961061376

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I loved the 4X game, Birth of the Federation.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

V-Men posted:

I loved the 4X game, Birth of the Federation.

Same. But wasn't that just a reskin of some other 4x game?

Starfleet Command 1 and 2 were awesome. I never got around to playing 3 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

Same. But wasn't that just a reskin of some other 4x game?

Starfleet Command 1 and 2 were awesome. I never got around to playing 3 though.

3 was the last Trek game Activision made before it coyoted its way out of that contract with Viacom, and, well... it wasn’t that good from what I’d played of it. Then again, I also played it as a near direct follow up to Bridge Commander, and that game was incredible and cast a long shadow over everything else Activision did with the brand.