Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Senator

I am 100% for playing the flute. I believe we not only should, but MUST play the flute. The people must be made to hear the flute. It is not just our duty, but our privilege. I can hear it already within my soul. It yearns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Danaru posted:

Senator

I am 100% for playing the flute. I believe we not only should, but MUST play the flute. The people must be made to hear the flute. It is not just our duty, but our privilege. I can hear it already within my soul. It yearns.

A man* after my own heart.
I believe I can leverage my connections for some first row tickets, you interested?

*or woman or other, I wouldn't want to assume

Now, theoretically House Gambol should be pissed with House Daucus because we did all the lifting** last dilemma and they bailed, but frankly? That was what we would have done in the same situation.
Might we ask as a personal favor to not interfere with an AYE vote this dilemma?
**lifting subcontracted to House Cyfoeth

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

:five:

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Truly, with an argument that compelling, how could we not allow the flute to be played?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

scavy131 posted:

Truly, with an argument that compelling, how could we not allow the flute to be played?

:hmmyes:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

:perfect:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Surely there's a better way to test the Sad Whistle than leveling a bunch of people with it! Not to mention the logistics of bringing a bunch of folk into the mountains for a downer concert, or trusting somebody to carry a glass flute down from a mountaintop....

also, Lethe....open mouthed Mother artwork? People going missing? Why you eating people, y'all?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That Italian Guy posted:

We are going to cover up card identifiers from now on; we'll cover up everything cause I agree that the authors intent was not for people to count cards using them. It's still possible to count cards using the art and logic, although you may get some curveballs here and there, whenever different art is being used.

It's a pity. If the identifiers were displayed in some way (even after the dilemmas are resolved), I would have called you That Italian Guy the Generous.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Senator

The only reason I'd be disinclined to toot the doom-flute is because of the negative sticker involved, since who wants to be known as the house that setup a concert just to hear the brown note be played?

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

quote:

As Was Foretold!!

Also interesting - in Lethe's heretical version of this doodle, the Daughters are different, they seem to all be hurling gourds up at the Mother.

oldskool posted:

Surely there's a better way to test the Sad Whistle than leveling a bunch of people with it! Not to mention the logistics of bringing a bunch of folk into the mountains for a downer concert, or trusting somebody to carry a glass flute down from a mountaintop....

scavy131 posted:

Senator

The only reason I'd be disinclined to toot the doom-flute is because of the negative sticker involved, since who wants to be known as the house that setup a concert just to hear the brown note be played?

Navigator

Gambol would MC the downer flute concert. Interesting Reign so far, dilemmas that we give a toot about! Attendance would of course be voluntary; if the other Houses want to protect their ears, they can stay down in the Pass where it's less depressing.

E: let's add some deal syntax, with a Coin to make it binding.
Any or all Houses may accept this insurance:
- If Aye wins and a House who accepted insurance is the high bidder, Gambol will Sign on your behalf and receive one of your Coins.
- If Nay wins, or if Gambol is the high bidder, no transaction takes place.

^ revised below.

C... fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 1, 2021

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
I'm glad someone else posted since I didn't want to doublepost but this strange aberrant drawing of the Mother is indeed troubling.

Not only does the Mother, maw agape, look distinctly different from more orthodox depictions, but she lacks the hands and goblet symbols as well. Also the depiction of the Mawther is as close to contorted in either agony or depicted mid consumption as I think is possible considering the more medieval styling of the art.

I'd also like to draw attention to the double effect on the 8 saints in the aberrant depiction, being generous it could possibly be depicting the dual natures of the saints and their status as having been divine and mortal. Being more pessimistic, and probably closer to accurate considering the apocrypha we've received, something something consuming souls to achieve divinity something something ancient empresses doing occult stuff. More investigation will clearly be needed, but it does suggest that at least some of the earliest depictions and reverence to the Mother may not have been as cohesive and orthodox as previously believed.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Quackles posted:

It's a pity. If the identifiers were displayed in some way (even after the dilemmas are resolved), I would have called you That Italian Guy the Generous.
But you see, I don't have a drop of royal blood in me! :D

quote:

As Was Foretold!!
I'll be honest, the first time I saw that picture, between the mouth and the hairs this is the only thing that came to mind:

(in case people are not familiar with political/satirical comic strips from 60s LATAM)

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 1, 2021

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

C... posted:

A raw deal

First Chair

Oh good try, signing a story card, maybe even a beneficial one, for the price of an open agenda that is unlikely to conflict with your others and a coin on top.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard

Sighence posted:

First Chair

Oh good try, signing a story card, maybe even a beneficial one, for the price of an open agenda that is unlikely to conflict with your others and a coin on top.

What story card? Do you think our progress through the mountains is dependent on attendance at a concert?

Happy to revise it for you:

Any or all Houses may accept this insurance:
- If Aye wins and a House who accepted insurance is the high bidder, Gambol will Sign any or all items you choose on your behalf and receive one of your Coins for each signature.
- If Nay wins, or if Gambol is the high bidder, no transaction takes place.

C... fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 1, 2021

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Err, card with a signing bonus, on top of an agenda to sign. Definitely doesn't seem related to Cyfoeth's objectives.

Thank you for not taking issue with the rest of the post.

eliasswift
Jan 12, 2021

Now, let's count up your sins!

Clearly, you're all wrong. The so called "Mawther" is actually an early attempt at memes. Our records show tales of the "Soyboy Wojak" and other such artistry as the meme below, given as a semi-apology to House Lethe.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Sitting councilmember

*sigh*
Translation:
Pay us one gold, we sign the negative sticker, to encourage you into committing more power because you have a safety net.

And we of House Gambol are simply chomping at the bit to hear this new amazing piece by the way.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
I've managed to look into the future and have found the immediate aftermath of the brown-note concert being planned.
Note:I'm not saying we shouldn't.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

scavy131 posted:

brown-note concert

Not sure how this association was made; it's very different, a song that makes you want to kill yourself. Very different.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

C... posted:

Not sure how this association was made; it's very different, a song that makes you want to kill yourself. Very different.

I see how that could be considered an improvement, but I prefer to think they'd want to kill themselves out of shame of spontaneous sharting than for the flute to have some kinda suicidal earworm effect.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Omobono posted:

Now, theoretically House Gambol should be pissed with House Daucus because we did all the lifting** last dilemma and they bailed, but frankly? That was what we would have done in the same situation.
Might we ask as a personal favor to not interfere with an AYE vote this dilemma?
**lifting subcontracted to House Cyfoeth

High Scholar

Honestly, I think this is a terrible idea to do Aye but it doesn't seem that important in the grand scheme of things - so I'm tempted to take your offer. But on one condition.

House Gambol will pay House Daucus one coin (to make all this binding); House Daucus will Pass on this dilemma. House Gambol agrees, in the future, as part of this deal, to Pass and Gather Power on a dilemma of House Daucus's choice.

Sorry for the delay. Had to wait until my lunch break.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Treasurer

Are we... honestly suggesting subjecting the populace to a musical instrument, the effect of which is well-known to cause depression? Not only is using the people as lab rats pretty terrible, but also... why?

And also the the depictions found in the temple are obviously heretical, burn it all.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Covski posted:

Treasurer

Are we... honestly suggesting subjecting the populace to a musical instrument, the effect of which is well-known to cause depression? Not only is using the people as lab rats pretty terrible, but also... why?

And also the the depictions found in the temple are obviously heretical, burn it all.

Considering this strange depiction was found in one of the older monasteries in the Duchy, perhaps it'd be beneficial to investigate further to see the roots of this misunderstanding.

After all, such mysteries remained hidden for centuries to be found now, when we're discovering more about the early worship of the Mother. Would it not have then been the will of the Mother to reveal this knowledge to us now? Surely if it was not willed so it would have remained hidden still longer.

Blessed be the Mother.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Covski posted:

Your temple, friend; your family has been praying there for centuries. It's understandable to be embarrassed, but we've come this far already. Can't help but note you forgot to bless the mother..

Quackles posted:

High Scholar

Honestly, I think this is a terrible idea to do Aye but it doesn't seem that important in the grand scheme of things - so I'm tempted to take your offer. But on one condition[...]

Navigator

Unfortunately we're incapable of accepting this offer, as my esteemed cousin put our entire purse into the Bank last Dilemma. Also, we're not interested in issuing a wildcard veto with no expiry. A counter-offer:

Immediately:
House Daucus will pay House Gambol one coin.
House Daucus will Pass on this dilemma.
During this Reign:
House Gambol will Pass and Gather Power on a dilemma of House Daucus's choice that doesn't impair Knowledge.

what was for lunch

megane
Jun 20, 2008

House Lethe Senator

The Mother reveals such horrors to us specifically so that we may destroy them. I am not sure why this council is so hellbent on seizing upon every vile relic and heresy it can dredge up and unleashing them on the populace. Yes, you claim it’s for “knowledge” and “cultural advancement,” we’ve heard it before. But, well, you are currently colluding to let an insane musician play a cursed artifact known to cause mass depression in front of a large audience for no reason other than your own amusement. I rest my case.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

scavy131 posted:

I've managed to look into the future and have found the immediate aftermath of the brown-note concert being planned.
Note:I'm not saying we shouldn't.

[ooc]

right idea, wrong animation :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQpKOlKySiE

[/ooc]

Why are any of you considering subjecting our people to this? We do not need a Sadders problem to go along with the Ashers.

I am beginning to suspect that the Golden Map was not meant to lead to treasure, but was left as a warning to stay away from here. Why else would the scorpion be on the map? We found it in the ruins of this so-called Sun Empire, perhaps we should not repeat their folly.

Blessed be The Mother.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 1, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C... posted:

Navigator

Unfortunately we're incapable of accepting this offer, as my esteemed cousin put our entire purse into the Bank last Dilemma. Also, we're not interested in issuing a wildcard veto with no expiry. A counter-offer:

Immediately:
House Daucus will pay House Gambol one coin.
House Daucus will Pass on this dilemma.
During this Reign:
House Gambol will Pass and Gather Power on a dilemma of House Daucus's choice that doesn't impair Knowledge.

what was for lunch

High Scholar

For haggling over the coins, either way works, but the sticking point is that ideally we'd want to use the favor on a dilemma we consider to be particularly important. So, if the reign were to expire without the favor being used, we'd be in the hole and have gained nothing. (I admit I have a specific dilemma in mind I'd want to use such a favor on, but given how thick the dilemma deck is, the chances of that appearing are comparatively low.)

So, we'd have to ask that if the reign ends without a dilemma we like coming up, that House Gambol pay an insurance of some kind instead.

roasted potatoes in soy sauce

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Quackles posted:

High Scholar

For haggling over the coins, either way works, but the sticking point is that ideally we'd want to use the favor on a dilemma we consider to be particularly important. So, if the reign were to expire without the favor being used, we'd be in the hole and have gained nothing. (I admit I have a specific dilemma in mind I'd want to use such a favor on, but given how thick the dilemma deck is, the chances of that appearing are comparatively low.)

So, we'd have to ask that if the reign ends without a dilemma we like coming up, that House Gambol pay an insurance of some kind instead.

roasted potatoes in soy sauce

Navigator

We're getting a bit lost in the weeds, and I take full responsibility for wandering there.
Simply - Gambol is asking a favour of Daucus: Pass on a Dilemma you've already declared unimportant.
Do so and we'll fondly remember this moment should your dread Dilemma arise, during Cleon or later. No contract, just goodwill.

sounds great

megane posted:

you are currently colluding to let an insane musician play a cursed artifact known to cause mass depression in front of a large audience for no reason other than your own amusement

Hey, man, if you don't like the music, don't come to the concert. Why bum us out early? That's what we're paying Raliesi for.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

megane posted:

House Lethe Senator

The Mother reveals such horrors to us specifically so that we may destroy them. I am not sure why this council is so hellbent on seizing upon every vile relic and heresy it can dredge up and unleashing them on the populace. Yes, you claim it’s for “knowledge” and “cultural advancement,” we’ve heard it before. But, well, you are currently colluding to let an insane musician play a cursed artifact known to cause mass depression in front of a large audience for no reason other than your own amusement. I rest my case.

No reason? Ia Ia fhtagn.

[ooc]Ok I think I got it fully out of my system[/ooc]

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Wait a minute... A stylized sun?

Remind you of any, say, eight-pointed figures laying about recently?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Sighence posted:

[pulls hood off bandits]
It was House Lethe all along! :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Sighence posted:

It reminds us of the Sun Temple on Chalice Peak and the cursed treasure you all brought back while locating the Golden Map, yes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Quackles posted:

[pulls hood off bandits]
It was House Lethe all along! :v:

Only thing to do is summary execution then I guess. :rip: House Lethe. You won't be missed that much

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

In case you are interested I've just started an LP for Floor Plan, a Roll&Write game (similar to RailRoad Ink) in which each player takes the role of an architect tasked with the development of a small residential area/giant villa/commune. Each round, a pair of dice are rolled and then players will act simultaneously, using the dice to either draw a new room onto their floor plan or add crucial architectural and landscaping features. The game ends when any player has completed six client demands, or is unable to use all dice in a turn. The player with the most points is the winner – the client likes their design best and they earn that lucrative commission.

The LP will be Goon vs Goon, with a 1week update cycle (this means you'll have 1 full week to send me your updated masterpieces) and will last a few weeks. The signup window is 1 week, but we'll let anyone who wants to join during the 2nd week as well (you can sign up before the results from Week #1 are made public). Now with 100% more links! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960903

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 2, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C... posted:

Navigator

We're getting a bit lost in the weeds, and I take full responsibility for wandering there.
Simply - Gambol is asking a favour of Daucus: Pass on a Dilemma you've already declared unimportant.
Do so and we'll fondly remember this moment should your dread Dilemma arise, during Cleon or later. No contract, just goodwill.

High Scholar

Sure. :) We'd be glad to.

Mostly Accurate Senate Status Report
brought to you by House Daucus

Power/Coins

House Cyfoeth: 9 Power, 13 Coins + 3 banked
House Lethe: 8 Power, 11 Coins
House Gambol: 5 Power, 0 Coins + 6 banked
House Daucus: 9 Power, 11 Coins
House Pinchay: 12 Power, 11 Coins

Pressure Rating

Low - This one's chill.

Hidden Agenda Prediction

House Cyfoeth appears to not have much of an opinion on this one.

Agenda: Opulent
Explanation: House Cyfoeth knows they won't be first pick forever, and given that Opulent is a highly sought-after agenda, they're probably trying to complete their achievement while the opportunity lasts.

House Pinchay thinks playing the terrible flute is a bad idea, but will anyone listen to them?

Agenda: Moderate
Explanation: When given the chance, House Pinchay has consistently picked Moderate in the past. This will be their third time - and Cyfoeth would favor Opulent or other agendas, so they likely haven't grabbed it.

House Gambol is focusing on long-term strategy.

Agenda: Extremist
Explanation: Based on drafting information and how they're winding up to vote, with the educated guesses out of the way, the only possible agendas for House Gambol are ones that favor pushing resource tokens to the end of the board. However, their decision to put all their money in the bank discounts both Greedy and Rebel, as it suggests they're here for the long term (for Greedy, banking would be a risk that the money would not be returned in time). I think it's Extremist. Them pushing for something that raises Knowledge to the very limit further suggests this is the correct assessment.

House Daucus is sitting this one out, as promised.

Agenda: Organizing industrial production of earplugs

House Lethe is probably going to... you know.

Agenda: Opportunist
Explanation: Sorry, Lethe.

SporkChan
Oct 20, 2010

One day I will proofread my posts well, but today is not that day.

Quackles posted:

High Scholar

Mostly Accurate Senate Report

[Snip]

House Lethe is probably going to... you know.

Agenda: Opportunist
Explanation: Sorry, Lethe.

[ooc]
So, to be clear. The 4th place pick House Daucus, who only passed one agenda card to 5th place pick House Lethe, are now making public 'guesses' about what hidden agenda House Lethe has? Maybe stop that, please?
[/ooc]

Senator

House Lethe, has not yet decided how to spend/or not spend our power for this dilemma, though we don't think that subjecting the masses to an instrument who's 'sound arouses depression in those who hear it' is a good idea.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

SporkChan posted:

[ooc]
So, to be clear. The 4th place pick House Daucus, who only passed one agenda card to 5th place pick House Lethe, are now making public 'guesses' about what hidden agenda House Lethe has? Maybe stop that, please?
[/ooc]

Senator

House Lethe, has not yet decided how to spend/or not spend our power for this dilemma, though we don't think that subjecting the masses to an instrument who's 'sound arouses depression in those who hear it' is a good idea.

[ooc]that does seem like a low blow, yeah. Shall we all expose one other in this way, in the name of fairness?[/ooc]

Navigator

Again - it's a voluntary concert. Those who wish to attend can attend; we have neither the capacity nor the desire to mandate exposure to the strange sound. You argue that no one can eat something because you dislike its taste.

House Pinchay, we haven't received your RSVPs. Want to hear a weird concert and be bummed out with us?

Quackles posted:

High Scholar

Sure. :) We'd be glad to.
[...]

House Gambol is focusing on long-term strategy.

Agenda: Extremist
Explanation: Based on drafting information and how they're winding up to vote, with the educated guesses out of the way, the only possible agendas for House Gambol are ones that favor pushing resource tokens to the end of the board. However, their decision to put all their money in the bank discounts both Greedy and Rebel, as it suggests they're here for the long term (for Greedy, banking would be a risk that the money would not be returned in time). I think it's Extremist. Them pushing for something that raises Knowledge to the very limit further suggests this is the correct assessment.

Appreciated! :)
However, your analysis neglects one thing - Gambol has long believed that experiencing sorrow is an impetus to creativity and innovation. The darkest moments elevate the mind. In this, we're here for surreal feels, not wheels and deals.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Senator

Most art already makes me depressed due to the lowest-common denominator pandering, so I don't know if this will make a difference in my case. Besides, it is commonly known what the effects will be of this concert, so buyer beware, I say. If you don't want to be enchanted by its effects, just don't attend.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017

Quackles posted:

Mostly Accurate Senate Status Report

House Cyfoeth appears to not have much of an opinion on this one.

This particular flute issue just finds our house with a distinctly indifferent feeling about it. Hold a depression concert? Don't? Eh. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

SporkChan posted:

[ooc]
So, to be clear. The 4th place pick House Daucus, who only passed one agenda card to 5th place pick House Lethe, are now making public 'guesses' about what hidden agenda House Lethe has?
[/ooc]

I mean, it's not a guess, but that's otherwise accurate.

C... posted:

[ooc]that does seem like a low blow, yeah. Shall we all expose one other in this way, in the name of fairness?[/ooc]

That'd be really cool! Then it'll be House Pinchay's turn.

(The above isn't sarcasm. I'm a generally-more-information-out-on-the-table type of person by default, so I'm personally OK with that. If House Pinchay does want to chime in, then I'd be super curious as to whether my prediction of Gambol's agenda was correct or not.)

scavy131 posted:

This particular flute issue just finds our house with a distinctly indifferent feeling about it. Hold a depression concert? Don't? Eh. :effort:

Anhedonia (no longer enjoying anything you previously found joy or interest in) can be a symptom of depression, you know...