Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Even if it had a higher active player base later on, it wasn’t really a Thing like it was right after launch.

I think pokemon would benefit from having a hard mode, the battle system has a lot of cool stuff you never use because it’s a lot of one-hit KO’s. Like, why would I use a low-accuracy OHKO move like Horn Drill when I can just use one of my regular moves and one hit KO with 100 percent accuracy because I have a same type attack bonus plus a type advantage? Same result but this one has 95 percent accuracy instead of 35 percent, and I can use it 20 times instead of 5. Or why use something to decrease my opponent’s accuracy when I can take them out in one move?

I though when you finish the games you had access to stronger opponents the last few gens, or did I dream that? (I could have mix it up with other games)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bleusilences posted:

I though when you finish the games you had access to stronger opponents the last few gens, or did I dream that? (I could have mix it up with other games)

There’s a battle tower thing, but that’s the only one I know off the top of my head. I sold my switch before I finished Sword/Shield so I never got around to that part. I’d like to be able to play the campaign and have it not be super easy, but also not be postgame content hard, at least.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Flannelette posted:

It really sucks Bloodborne 2 isn't a thing yet, they must be working on something.
I fear they blew their entire creative load for Bloodborne so it's going to be a solitary thing.

They are working on Elden Ring, or at least it seems they are. It being a collab with George RR Martin, who knows how well that's going.

Fur20 posted:

smt has its own weaknesses. i enjoy the series but i hear fans go on at length about its tactical depth and i'm over here like, buff, strip, debuff, kill, adding three actions to the typical jrpg command queue does not a deep or challenging game make.

smt is also oppressively edgy, persona is better about watching its manners and minimizing the chuuni cackling. the last smt game i played was devil survivor and holy poo poo it's like the entire cast was written by a very very angry fifteen year old

Persona's fine but Japan's cookie-cutter school setting in games really drags things down. Give me more of Strange Journey weird human consciousness worlds or Nocturne's post apocalypse sphere world.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Archer666 posted:

Persona's fine but Japan's cookie-cutter school setting in games really drags things down. Give me more of Strange Journey weird human consciousness worlds or Nocturne's post apocalypse sphere world.

I wish they go back to Persona 2 where you play a reporter or somesuch.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Archer666 posted:

They are working on Elden Ring, or at least it seems they are. It being a collab with George RR Martin, who knows how well that's going.

I bet that GRRM consulted a bit on world building but otherwise went back to his hobbit hole to, I dunno, play 2nd edition dungeons and dragons or whatever the hell he does

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Caesar Saladin posted:

I bet that GRRM consulted a bit on world building but otherwise went back to his hobbit hole to, I dunno, play 2nd edition dungeons and dragons or whatever the hell he does

Write sports articles and really lovely superhero books, iirc.

There’s a battle tower thing, but that’s the only one I know off the top of my head. I sold my switch before I finished Sword/Shield so I never got around to that part. I’d like to be able to play the campaign and have it not be super easy, but also not be postgame content hard, at least.

Some of the newer games have more advanced postgame battle tower stuff (my favourite is the Battle Factory where you fight with randomly assigned Pokemon) but it's kind of a jarring shift, since the AI trainers that used to be gimmicky pushovers suddenly have competitive movesets and stats and almost certainly cheat.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 1, 2021

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Outside of Pikachu being cute and collecting/swapping poo poo being perinnually appealing to children, Pokemon's success eludes me. I played some of the early games and they're the dull even by JRPG standards. Hats off to Nintendo's marketing for laser focusing on what people whose brains are still developing enjoy and having a couple of cute characters, but the rest of the Pokemon, setting and games are mad tedious.

I was about 14 when it became big though, so I was into big-boy games like Legacy of Kain.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Outside of Pikachu being cute and collecting/swapping poo poo being perinnually appealing to children, Pokemon's success eludes me. I played some of the early games and they're the dull even by JRPG standards. Hats off to Nintendo's marketing for laser focusing on what people whose brains are still developing enjoy and having a couple of cute characters, but the rest of the Pokemon, setting and games are mad tedious.

I was about 14 when it became big though, so I was into big-boy games like Legacy of Kain.

Its the cuteness, swapping monsters and the fact that it was everywhere in all forms that attracts the kids and pure nostalgia that attracts the (wo)man-kids. I'm honestly impressed they managed to keep the momentum going for like 20 years now, with new games, merch and cards.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

Pokemon basically hits on like every marketing trope for children. You got trading, you got cutesy monsters that still have edge to them, you got the whole 'virtual pet' aspect with catching, leveling them up, keeping them healthy so they don't hate you, etc. You have a multmedia franchise with a cartoon backed by toys and games. You got a self-insert protagonist who's also a child like the intended audience, but who attains independence and goes out into the world on a fantastical adventure.

Also sometimes people just wanna play cute games. Not everyone wants to flex their grey matter figuring out the optimal party comp to beating a hidden optional endgame side boss. Sometimes people just wanna throw together a party of whatever they find the cutest and go 'oh, that's a Grass type. It's weak to Fire.' And then beat the game like that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

There's a social component to Pokemon that most other JRPGs don't have, or certainly didn't back when Pokemon Red/Blue came out. I don't think I heard of anyone ever using the Gameboy link cable for anything other than Pokemon, that was really cool for its time.

They also put a lot of effort into marketing and developing the hell out of the brand, that's probably the biggest reason that the series is as successful as it is

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

QuarkJets posted:

There's a social component to Pokemon that most other JRPGs don't have, or certainly didn't back when Pokemon Red/Blue came out. I don't think I heard of anyone ever using the Gameboy link cable for anything other than Pokemon, that was really cool for its time.

They also put a lot of effort into marketing and developing the hell out of the brand, that's probably the biggest reason that the series is as successful as it is

The social stuff was absolutely huge, when I was in high school even like half the school were playing against each other in Ruby/Sapphire. I don’t think it would have had the staying power or hype if it was a regular old JRPG and it’s where all the Pokémon clone attempts stumbled and failed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also helps that it's a big, persistent, consistent universe with rules that remain true throughout the games, anime and spinoffs (for the most part) and creatures, characters and locations that have remained the same while expanding on the world for 25 years now. It's not even like Mario, Zelda or Final Fantasy where despite some superficial connections every game is pretty much its own thing, it's consistently portrayed as a big world where the protagonist isn't necessarily even all that special, but one you can imagine living in. Also a big part is that the games don't take place in a fantastical vaguely medieval fantasy world or silly wonderland, but basically in obvious analogues to real-world places that have ordinary people living their lives, doing jobs and hanging out and also there's magical superpowered animal buddies.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, it's perfectly normal for kids in that world to drop out of school at age ten to be rambling hobos who partake in glorified cockfights. This is a good and cool setting.

Anyway.
https://twitter.com/sharkstomeetyou/status/1366114971319435270?s=20

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Lodin posted:

Also, it's perfectly normal for kids in that world to drop out of school at age ten to be rambling hobos who partake in glorified cockfights. This is a good and cool setting.

that's silly

either way its better than kids pretending to be part of the military

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, the social element was cool and my cohort was a little too old for it. I remember being a little put out my video games weren't going to get that in the 90s.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Caesar Saladin posted:

that's silly

either way its better than kids pretending to be part of the military

The military would be so much cooler if it was just a bunch of 4th graders summoning steel dragons or laser tigers or whatever to do all of their war crimes imo.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Decided to give Deep Rock Galactic a try this past weekend as it was temporarily free. That game is actually super fun. I think they need more mission types but it's a genuinely enjoyable time. I feel like co-op PvE hasn't gotten many good games for a while so it's nice to see. The mechanics are really fun and each class is very different from the next. It was actually so fun that I paid for the full game which I've never done before on one of these free weekend events.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bleusilences posted:

this is a thing, but it takes a lot of playing the postgame to even get to the part with stronger opponents, and even then their levels are pretty low. because xp share is always on now, your levels go through the roof and the "superbosses" with lv80+ pokemon are easily defeated, because these days it's a challenge to reach the elite four before reaching lv100 :v: gone are the days of Red hanging out in Mewtwo's cave with a lv70 pikachu that sweeps your champion team.

gen 4 and 5 actually had some toughies just out in the world in general, and most early game trainers had 3+ pokemon and you'd start seeing 4-6 after a couple of gyms. starting with xy, most random trainers have only one or two pokemon in their party even in the endgame. that was a bummer, i really like when they have big and varied parties that still reflect their class. gym leaders were also quite difficult encounters for a few generations, with pokemon who have good defensive typing with high offense power.

sun/moon is my favorite entry in the series so i'd really like if there was a--i don't want a "hard mode" romhack that changes the AI or math or anything like that, i just want a mod that makes every trainer's pokemon 5-20 levels higher and doubles the amount they're carrying with them.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 1, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fur20 posted:

i don't want a "hard mode" romhack that changes the AI or math or anything like that, i just want a mod that makes every trainer's pokemon 5-20 levels higher and doubles the amount they're carrying with them.

:same: I don’t want some kind of ball kicking difficulty, but something where I can engage with the actual systems of the game instead of just having the option to OHKO nearly everything.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Newer pokemon games try extremely hard to tell a story which is a bummer because the NPCs seem unable to talk about anything other than pokemon at any given time.
Like, I'm already playing you, game, you can stop advertising now.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sun/Moon at least messed with a lot of setting conceits like the idea of ten year olds going out to be monster training hobos, and the idea of what happens when you don't manage to achieve arbitrary 'tests of adulthood' and end up spending all that time and effort with nothing to show for it. Team Skull are just a lovable bunch.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Avirosb posted:

Newer pokemon games try extremely hard to tell a story which is a bummer because the NPCs seem unable to talk about anything other than pokemon at any given time.
Like, I'm already playing you, game, you can stop advertising now.

You're playing this game sure but they want you to buy all of the other pokemon stuff too

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I haven't played a pokemon game since red/blue. Do regular schools exist not in those games or are these kids dropping out?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

When kids play those games they don't wanna think about school, they wanna think about going on an adventure and defeating the elite 4

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
japanese 10 year olds have much much more practical lived freedom than american 10 year olds because public transit in japan is not a joke and parents arent fuckoff paranoid there. yes, the 9yo is allowed to take the bus alone. also high school is a hellish experience so the 10yos get a lot of freedom as preemptive pity

nevertheless, this freedom has decreased. but the pokemon creators are like 40, 50yo, they're thinking back to 80s japan

life employment can also be blamed for the general dog poo poo quality of japanese software dev. somehow software tends to be a place the life employment places put fuckups

every other japanese video game company has figured out how to avoid this but....

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Mar 2, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You can't have adult protagonists in JRPGs because Japanese audiences find it too immersion breaking that adults are allowed to have personalities and freedom.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

japanese 10 year olds have much much more practical lived freedom than american 10 year olds because public transit in japan is not a joke and parents arent fuckoff paranoid there. yes, the 9yo is allowed to take the bus alone. also high school is a hellish experience so the 10yos get a lot of freedom as preemptive pity

nevertheless, this freedom has decreased. but the pokemon creators are like 40, 50yo, they're thinking back to 80s japan

life employment can also be blamed for the general dog poo poo quality of japanese software dev. somehow software tends to be a place the life employment places put fuckups

every other japanese video game company has figured out how to avoid this but....

10 year olds need to get all the play out of the way before they become giant robot combat pilots. Simon 14, Renton 14, Lelouche 17, Shinji 14.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Anime protagonists are all kids so it's target audience can identify with them. HTH

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Having your main characters be young is just a giant crutch for the writers.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Disco Pope posted:

Outside of Pikachu being cute and collecting/swapping poo poo being perinnually appealing to children, Pokemon's success eludes me.

Oh right, it's that it's boring.

Think about it, if something has any kind of innovation in it, then that is, almost by definition, niche. Because, that innovation 'has' to be new, right, so it's WAY more likely that even if it's a GOOD new thing, you'll have some people like it, and some not.

Look at all the stuff that's got colossal appeal, and what you'll see is that it's all basically lowest common denominator stuff, which is how it garners such a common denominator.

Minecraft -> Simple as gently caress
Every 'King' game -> Simple as gently caress
Pokemon -> Simple as gently caress

The point is that they're none of them things where it's like "OMG THIS SPEAKS TO MY UNIQUE SOUL!" to two people in ten, but rather, "Oh, I quite like this" to all ten.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Pokemon was incredible when i was younger but i dont need to play the new ones.

Its like GTA3, I had an insane amount of fun driving round that city and by the time san Andreas came out i didn't really care for it since I'd had my fill.

Kinda like how most people grow out of watching professional wrestling before their 20s

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Flannelette posted:

Having your main characters be young is just a giant crutch for the writers.

That's not why the main character in pokemon is always young

It's because canonically all of the adults are fuckin' pokemon nonstop and Nintendo isn't ready to make that game

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Zone of the Enders is pretty much the perfect example of why having kids as protagonists is often a terrible idea. Leo from the first one sucked rear end so much that they gave us Dingo instead and it's one of the many reasons why it's a much better game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also there's a very good reason they decided to adapt Detective Pikachu into a live action movie. It wasn't great but imagine if they'd decided to instead once again tell the story of how Ash got his Pikachu and set out on adventure. It would be loving atrocious.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective Pikachu is based on a game though, with the same name and most of the same plot

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:same: I don’t want some kind of ball kicking difficulty, but something where I can engage with the actual systems of the game instead of just having the option to OHKO nearly everything.

you can do that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJtfWh9ij0Y

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Barudak posted:

Detective Pikachu is based on a game though, with the same name and most of the same plot

I think he's just saying that the mainline Pokemon games have poo poo plot and the anime has been an adaptation of that for 20 years now. Even though Detective Pikachu wasn't the most popular game, it was a new take on the series that let them do something different for a feature length movie.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

I played a run through where I only used water pokemon. It made it really fun cause I used a lot of pokemon I wouldn't use otherwise. But especially it really changed the battles. It wasn't like pokemon battling where its all type stuff. It was more like Mario RPG where sometimes you're up against an enemy and they're super hard and thats just whats up. And finding a pokemon with a useful dual-type was like finding a OP new weapon or armor. I'm def gonna try it again in the future with different types (water is easiest for sure as there are so many).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Try to do that with fire Pokémon in ... most Pokémons

It’s like playing an unarmed run in dark souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lodin posted:

Also there's a very good reason they decided to adapt Detective Pikachu into a live action movie. It wasn't great but imagine if they'd decided to instead once again tell the story of how Ash got his Pikachu and set out on adventure. It would be loving atrocious.

Ah the resident evil defence