Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm angry at Resident Evil for making its zombo dogs still give a sad "yipe" when you kill them despite their being murderous eldritch horrors :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Terminator 2 cut the T-1000 killing the dog because it made the heartless assassin robot from the future too unlikable.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really honestly wish horror would stop using animals as free FEELBAD props, it's exploitative in an extremely lame and cheap way and it gets even moreso once you really become aware of how often and blatant it is.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm very ambivalent about Bloomer Games making Silent Hill. Everything they do feels uninspired. At the very least they probably won't include garbage like enemies that try to roundhoud kick you like in Downpour.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ambivalent means strong feelings in opposition!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Exactly

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

2011: it's time for us to agree the silent hill brand is dead and will stay dead

2021: it's time for us to agree the silent hill brand is dead and will stay dead

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What is dead may never die

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Silent Hill but it's the series creators forced to endure a twisted and nightmarish alternate reality of horrible SH2 knockoffs.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

exquisite tea posted:

Ambivalent means strong feelings in opposition!

It means mixed or conflicted feelings, but not necessarily strong ones.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ambidextrous feelings.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

exquisite tea posted:

Silent Hill but it's the series creators forced to endure a twisted and nightmarish alternate reality of horrible SH2 knockoffs.
Poetic justice, that.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Yardbomb posted:

Ambidextrous feelings.

I'm often ambivalent about my own posting (shame, anger, pride in the fact that I was able to type all the words in the right order, etc)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

I'm very ambivalent about Bloomer Games making Silent Hill.

They are not.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I stopped caring after Silent Hill 3, so if people want to keep chasing that dragon they can have fun doing so

I think a VR take will be a big success eventually, but otherwise the only way to elevate that art form is to have a strong study of the current human psyche and its troubles, which includes understanding trauma

Literally sad dad but why is he sad and how does that become horror when struggling against a system that sees you and DEMANDS you be expendable (and then making that an entertaining game)

Tell you what though, invest in weather horror because it’s going to become huge in the next two decades, this is the front door and Houston’s your ice level to Cali’s fire level

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
visage dialogue: still terrible

i'm starting to think half the reason Lost in Vivo left any sort of impression on me is because no one talked in it. every time someone opens their mouth in Visage the tone immediately plummets into farce. they spent all this time on audio/visual design and apparently never bothered to read their own scripts back to themselves. it's not even unnatural in the disjointed silent hill way, everyone either talks like an academic paper or, in the case of the main villain, like the simpsons monorail man

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Visage doesn't have a credited writer. There's a woman named Victoria Suchanek credited on the Kickstarter but just scrubbing through the game's credits I didn't see her anywhere on there so I can only guess they scrapped whatever they initially had.

The lead creative credits himself as "Level Designer" and yeah it's a pretty haunted house simulator and doesn't aim for much else.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

No or minimal talking is vital to a horror game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it varies. Anatomy is basically a single lengthy monologue with accompanying visual aids and it's one of the best indie horror titles of the decade

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

it varies. Anatomy is basically a single lengthy monologue with accompanying visual aids and it's one of the best indie horror titles of the decade

I agree, but I think that’s because the entire game was built around that conceit. It needed it to work as well as it did in the first place, and the voice work did well to sell it. A lot of horror games could do fine without voicework but have it anyways, or have it in excess where less would be more.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Thundercracker posted:

I'm very ambivalent about Bloomer Games making Silent Hill. Everything they do feels uninspired. At the very least they probably won't include garbage like enemies that try to roundhoud kick you like in Downpour.

Was it confirmed yet?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Len posted:

Was it confirmed yet?

Not remotely.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I think the biggest problem that silent hill 2 and 3 have is that they've been hyped over the years as be-all, end-all horror experiences, when in reality they're "only" really good games with strengths (like their incredible atmosphere) and weaknesses (the games released in 2001 and 2003 clearly have dated design choices). I played Silent Hill 2 for the first time in 2018 having spoiled the entire story for myself by then, and honestly? It's still a drat fine experience. It's not the scariest game I've ever played, and the combat is bare-bones at best, but I've never played a game that captured how it feels to be utterly trapped in depression and melancholy, which is a place I've been before, and I can't condemn the overall design of a game that captures a state of being as well as Silent Hill 2 does even if it fails at times. If nothing else, even now it's a game worth respecting in way that dozens of imitators aren't, because if nothing else, it tried.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
They definitely are restrained in terms of all out horror compared to something like Alien Isolation, the most intense situation in the first 3 SH games is typically walking into a room with some garden variety enemies scuttling towards you and overbearing music playing, occasionally you'll have a telegraphed bossfight that's more climactic than horrifying. They never really get to the pants making GBS threads level of the lights being turned off and a chainsaw revving in the distance. They kind of tried that with pyramid head but his implementation was both so sparing and janky that it never really hit like Mr. X in re2 remake. A specific example of what I mean by restraint, in 3 there's a big underground labyrinth you have to pass through twice, the first time you half suspect the lights to go off and the sh version of a Minotaur to get released, when you come back to it and realize you'll have to go through it again you're 100% sure that's what will happen, but nope both times it's just an empty, fully lit maze.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/thesinkingcity/status/1366483130278961159?s=19

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

People don't like seeing dogs hurt in media because a dog being hurt is something that you would reasonably expect to see in the course of your life. If you are talking about getting bisected by a serial killer then yeah it could technically happen but it isn't likely. Yeah it leads to "better" horror if it's something that can happen, like the little girl getting brutally killed in Hereditary, but people don't want to *see* that stuff, it isn't cathartic, especially in a game instead of in a movie where you only have to endure it for a few seconds.

Like, I bet that Amnesia: Rebirth isn't bad. I got to the part where the baby stopped responding and put the game down, because I'm having a kid shortly, and having something like that where it's "is the kid going to suddenly die" is an *actual concern in my life rn* so it isn't cathartic to play through.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 5, 2021

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Two episodes in but the Detention TV adaptation is so bad I would almost believe it was made just to make Red Candle look worse after the Devotion fiasco. It made me reinstall Detention to make sure it was actually good, though, so I guess that's nice (it is still good).

I'll also take this opportunity to say Devotion is the best bad dad game and is one of very few video games in general I've seen where the story is legitimately great, instead of just great for a video game. Probably the only game that took the right lessons from PT and now no one can play it either, lol.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Devotion was great and I legit ugly-cry at the ending every time.

Don't go out and watch the ending by its self. The rest of the game adds emotional weight.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

There's still no way to buy Devotion, is there?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Relin posted:

*doesn't flinch at nails being removed or buzzsaw bisection scenes* nooo the heckin pupperino!

Dog violence is worse

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

You see people die all the time in horror in fifty different ways each time practically, most often it's even lovely or unlikeable people, it's in the interest of moving the plot or upping stakes.

Killing animals 9 times out of 10 is cheap rear end, like I said before, FEELBADNOW button slamming that uses the animals as killcount props, it adds nothing almost ever except "Look at the animal suffer", it sucks and is bad.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Like any easy heartstring-tug, I think it could be used okay, but individuals who are gonna full-on animate animal death probably aren't thinking farther than that, and actual studios can't afford it if it fails. Like, even Bloober Team was like "if we kill this dog, this garbage will not sell."

Actually, now that I think about it, You're Grounded did it pretty well. Your cat dies, but in the good ending you gently caress up the people responsible and become a sweet old crazy bat man. I can live with that.

Enemabag Jones fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 7, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Yardbomb posted:

Killing animals 9 times out of 10 is cheap rear end, like I said before, FEELBADNOW button slamming that uses the animals as killcount props, it adds nothing almost ever except "Look at the animal suffer", it sucks and is bad.

This is starting to sound like you're pretty much gonna write it off as cheap before seeing whatever they're trying to do with it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I mean, if you can give examples of 'kill the dog' that wasn't just using it for cheap shock effect, I'm sure everyone here would be all ears, but it has a bad reputation for just being there to push the tearjerker button for a reason.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Cardiovorax posted:

I mean, if you can give examples of 'kill the dog' that wasn't just using it for cheap shock effect, I'm sure everyone here would be all ears, but it has a bad reputation for just being there to push the tearjerker button for a reason.

Rule of Rose

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, You're Grounded did it pretty well. Your cat dies, but in the good ending you gently caress up the people responsible and become a sweet old crazy bat man. I can live with that.

I'm gonna have to disagree here mainly because the whole game is already presented up til that point as a misery fest of child abuse so when that is first introduced my thought was basically just "oh they would pull this kind of horse piss wouldn't they."

Admittedly maybe that had a much different effect on me because of how closely a lot of that actually hits to my personal life so it just felt very manipulative on top of something already way too close to home.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeathChicken posted:

Rule of Rose

Oh Jesus, you're 100% right.

But then Rule of Rose is a fantastic story wrapped in one of the worst survival horror games I've ever played. It's a testament to the story that it made me finish it anyway.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I've never played it myself, but if you're positive the game it did it well I'll look up a playthrough of Rule of Rose (why are we spoilering this?) sometime so I can form my own opinion about that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's kind of a big plot twist of that game, I didn't feel right just throwing the game out and going "Here it is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
That really sucks that Frogwares got hosed so badly by Nacon, I enjoy their mildly janky Sherlock Holmes games.