Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sanguinia posted:

Same. But wasn't that just a reskin of some other 4x game?

Starfleet Command 1 and 2 were awesome. I never got around to playing 3 though.

Was it? I enjoyed the combat system and don't recall it from any other game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
The problem with Birth of the Federation is that Romulans are OP as gently caress since they get a free turn at the start of battle when they decloak and can usually wipe out the enemy fleet without ever taking a shot.

One thing I still remember from the Final Unity game that stuck with me is there's a part where you have to take down a forcefield in your way. If you shoot it with your phaser it basically does nothing, but you can use your tricorder to scan it and get a frequency to tune your phaser to. Depending on which crew member does the scan action they'll give different answers. Like Riker will say it's 9.2 gigahertz and if you use that it'll just make the field flicker for a second, but if you use a science or engineering officer they'll give a more precise 9.234 gigahertz answer that'll take it down long enough to get by. If you get Data to do the scan he gives an overly precise 9.2345678 gigahertz answer that pretty much destroys the field. I liked that the 'Data goes into way too much detail in his answers' trope ended up being actually useful.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shyrka posted:

The problem with Birth of the Federation is that Romulans are OP as gently caress since they get a free turn at the start of battle when they decloak and can usually wipe out the enemy fleet without ever taking a shot.

One thing I still remember from the Final Unity game that stuck with me is there's a part where you have to take down a forcefield in your way. If you shoot it with your phaser it basically does nothing, but you can use your tricorder to scan it and get a frequency to tune your phaser to. Depending on which crew member does the scan action they'll give different answers. Like Riker will say it's 9.2 gigahertz and if you use that it'll just make the field flicker for a second, but if you use a science or engineering officer they'll give a more precise 9.234 gigahertz answer that'll take it down long enough to get by. If you get Data to do the scan he gives an overly precise 9.2345678 gigahertz answer that pretty much destroys the field. I liked that the 'Data goes into way too much detail in his answers' trope ended up being actually useful.

The best thing about that game was how you should basically bring Data on every away mission because he is by far the most useful character.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

V-Men posted:

Was it? I enjoyed the combat system and don't recall it from any other game.

I believe it started from existing engines but was more development than just a simple reskin. The combat engine was new to their 4x stuff and I think partly pulled in from a flight simulator engine?

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 1, 2021

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

3 was the last Trek game Activision made before it coyoted its way out of that contract with Viacom, and, well... it wasn’t that good from what I’d played of it. Then again, I also played it as a near direct follow up to Bridge Commander, and that game was incredible and cast a long shadow over everything else Activision did with the brand.
From what I remember of SFC3 it was a more streamlined casual player-friendly version of the Interplay SFCs with more of a focus on customizing your equipment loadouts rather than selecting out of a library of premade variants. I also don't think it was made with any input from Amarillo Design Bureau, the guys who made the original pen-and-paper naval combat system of Starfleet Battles who have a weird license where the only Trek stuff they're allowed to use is whatever's in the old Franz Joseph TOS tech manual. Amarillo collaborated with Paramount and Interplay to make the initial three SFC games (though I wonder if changing the setting to a pseudo-TOS movie era was due to licensing issues), but they felt Paramount was trying to squeeze them out with SFC3 so they refused to collaborate with Paramount/Viacom/CBS on any future projects. I've heard vague stories that Cryptic were sending out some feelers in 2015 about getting some of those Franz Joseph ships in the game while they were developing the big TOS-themed update to Star Trek Online, but Amarillo wasn't interested in the slightest.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I miss struggling to get Klingon Honor guard to run on my lovely Windows 98 PC, but when I did have it working I had plenty of fun making the bots in death match as stupid as possible and luring them through the shuttle bay force field into space on that one space station map

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Alchenar posted:

The best thing about that game was how you should basically bring Data on every away mission because he is by far the most useful character.

Checks out. I always liked the bits and pieces about just how terrifying Data could be. The most obvious example is in Brothers where the terrible security system on the Enterprise lets Data single-handedly hijack a starship and essentially hold the crew hostage.

But even the little things like the button at the end of Gambit show how you don't want to be on the wrong side of Data - Picard jokes that Riker should be taken to the brig for court-martial offenses, and Data just does it, no expression, no concern. If that robot wants to take you to the brig, you are going there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

3 was the last Trek game Activision made before it coyoted its way out of that contract with Viacom, and, well... it wasn’t that good from what I’d played of it. Then again, I also played it as a near direct follow up to Bridge Commander, and that game was incredible and cast a long shadow over everything else Activision did with the brand.

Having played all the SFC games and liking 2/Orion Pirates the best, my biggest gripes with III were that there was no dynamic campaign, and the combat took forever because 75% of shots would just outright miss.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

Checks out. I always liked the bits and pieces about just how terrifying Data could be. The most obvious example is in Brothers where the terrible security system on the Enterprise lets Data single-handedly hijack a starship and essentially hold the crew hostage.

But even the little things like the button at the end of Gambit show how you don't want to be on the wrong side of Data - Picard jokes that Riker should be taken to the brig for court-martial offenses, and Data just does it, no expression, no concern. If that robot wants to take you to the brig, you are going there.

Data is pretty much superior to humans in all ways except (or especially if want to conform to stereotypes) emotions. He's way stronger than a human, capable of superhuman perception and thinking, and probably has way more steady hand and better motor skills too. The only reason you even have crusher as a doctor is more or less that more characters are more fun on a show. Data should be able to completely replace Geordie and Crusher at least, but not Picard or even Worf who use their guy feelings when dealing with aliens.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but he can't beat a master at stratagema

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How is he at ambo jitsu though? Surely it takes experience to master the ultimate evolution of martial arts.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

He just needs to download the relevant skills, or failing that, machine learn them using data from recordings. Same with surgery and, as actually shown, playing the violin.

Stratagema was also pretty dumb, since the game was obviously about quick reactions rather than strategy. It looked intense though, and a chess live have would probably not work as well on screen.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

While my auditory sensors are sophisticated enough to process listening to four operas simultaneously, I must admit that they are not a suitable replacement for vision. The sport of anbo-jitsu is therefore at best, challenging.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I just saw 'The Game' where the entire crew is held hostage by orgasmic pleasure. It reminded me of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Also the day is saved by Wesley Crusher of course who was only there on vacation after having not been on the show for more than a year or so.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

The Breen have the greatest physical challenge series in the galaxy but refuse to share it with outlanders

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
In my canon Westley became a ensign and then immediately became like Picard in his boring timeline and stuck in astrometrics all alone cause no one could stand him :allears:

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 1, 2021

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Why did the Twin Peaks giant guy want to take him through time and space? Was that some kind of grooming situation, but Beverly was just sick of the kid by that point?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I just assumed it was because the Traveller saw him as a good host for his horrible traveller baby or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Why did the Twin Peaks giant guy want to take him through time and space? Was that some kind of grooming situation, but Beverly was just sick of the kid by that point?

His corporeal form was as a needle drawing a metaphysical thread, which the Traveller criss-crossed the Universe with. Soon, He shall draw the thread taut.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uaHZxvMZBY

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This was the dumbest thing in the entire show and im sure the writers were patting themselves in the back with how clever they were

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nitrousoxide posted:

This was the dumbest thing in the entire show and im sure the writers were patting themselves in the back with how clever they were

How DARE you insult Reed Alert! :argh:

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

To be a bit pedantic, that's not the Twin Peaks giant. The Twin Peaks giant (Carel Struycken) plays Lwaxana Troi's butler/assistant.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Wesley being groomed by an interdimensional paedo whilst the behaviour is ignored by everyone else in his life is an extremely Twin Peaks situation though

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Marshal Radisic posted:

From what I remember of SFC3 it was a more streamlined casual player-friendly version of the Interplay SFCs with more of a focus on customizing your equipment loadouts rather than selecting out of a library of premade variants. I also don't think it was made with any input from Amarillo Design Bureau, the guys who made the original pen-and-paper naval combat system of Starfleet Battles who have a weird license where the only Trek stuff they're allowed to use is whatever's in the old Franz Joseph TOS tech manual. Amarillo collaborated with Paramount and Interplay to make the initial three SFC games (though I wonder if changing the setting to a pseudo-TOS movie era was due to licensing issues), but they felt Paramount was trying to squeeze them out with SFC3 so they refused to collaborate with Paramount/Viacom/CBS on any future projects. I've heard vague stories that Cryptic were sending out some feelers in 2015 about getting some of those Franz Joseph ships in the game while they were developing the big TOS-themed update to Star Trek Online, but Amarillo wasn't interested in the slightest.

I always wondered what happened to the rights for Interplay's Klingon Academy original designs, aside from SFC 1 and 2 I don't think I've seen them pop up anywhere else and they're far better overall than any other TOS (movie) era expanded fleets.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

If that poo poo were written today there would be a season-long story arc about the origin of the Red alert klaxon

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Tighclops posted:

If that poo poo were written today there would be a season-long story arc about the origin of the Red alert klaxon

You see once Michael Burnham was going to earth and they met the ancestor for kirk who was then schooled on how to be a good star fleet officer by Michael Burnham, who then met the designer for the enterprise 1701 and told them how to maximize crew placement and thus the red alert was born.

Then Michael Burnham ascended to heaven until she was needed once more.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wish Michael Burnham would just cry-ascend (crend) away from any future show or plot ever.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

jeeves posted:

I wish Michael Burnham would just cry-ascend (crend) away from any future show or plot ever.

I must go now, my planet needs me

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

If Michael ever leaves the show there will be a season-long wake about how special & amazing she was

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

You know it's funny, I stopped watching the new Doctor Who for exactly the same reason. I guess he doesn't cry so much.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

I always wondered what happened to the rights for Interplay's Klingon Academy original designs, aside from SFC 1 and 2 I don't think I've seen them pop up anywhere else and they're far better overall than any other TOS (movie) era expanded fleets.

Looks like someone made an Armada 2 mod that includes them: https://klingon-academy-ii-empire-at-war.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Federation_Vessels

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Goblin Craft posted:

You know it's funny, I stopped watching the new Doctor Who for exactly the same reason. I guess he doesn't cry so much.

I’m going to go ahead and blame Harry Potter for the absolute fixation on “you’re the special chosen one that the central conflict, and also universe, revolves around” main characters IPs have had for the last 15 years.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Royal Updog posted:

If Michael ever leaves the show there will be a season-long wake about how special & amazing she was

Whenever Burnham not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, "Where's Burnham?"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODU0z8amA5w

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

HD DAD posted:

I’m going to go ahead and blame Harry Potter for the absolute fixation on “you’re the special chosen one that the central conflict, and also universe, revolves around” main characters IPs have had for the last 15 years.

i think we gotta blame the greeks for that if we get right down to it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How many ensigns do you think the command center lift bisected on DS9 with its lack of a gate when moving?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

That's been the central conceit of YA literature for decades upon decades, and of ancient literature long before that. The Odyssey or The Aeneid ring a bell?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Reebok, a warrior's sneaker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Timby posted:

That's been the central conceit of YA literature for decades upon decades, and of ancient literature long before that. The Odyssey or The Aeneid ring a bell?

I mean, the central conflict was troy. The odyssey is centered on odysseus but it's a side story and he isn't the most important person in the universe, and all he has in terms of a special destiny is getting cursed to eat poo poo for ten years.