Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Midgetskydiver posted:

Are these mods easy to install and run? Do they require the server to have them running or are they client side? A little info on these would be really great.

I've only just started testing them out myself and valheim updated so I got to wait for the server to update to see if they play nice, but from what I hear a lot of these mods you can run on a per-player basis, which can seem a bit cheaty if everyone has to go out and seek these mods out to benefit from them and nobody can tell what others have, but I'm mostly sticking to nice qol minor mods like increased boat radius exploration and other mentioned mods, though I suspect if something breaks the equipment mod you'll probably lose whatever was in the modded inventory, probably still worth it though for qol.

Doh004 posted:

I've just started getting iron. Any recommendations on which pieces to first upgrade to?

Also, my first swamp only seems to have 3 crypts. Is that enough or should I keep scouting for a more plentiful swamp?

Mace and shield are nice as mentioned, a iron helmet would be a nice upgrade over troll leather and a iron axe and pickaxe would do you a lot of good, probably save to save the rest for decorations and forge improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I've just started getting iron. Any recommendations on which pieces to first upgrade to?

Also, my first swamp only seems to have 3 crypts. Is that enough or should I keep scouting for a more plentiful swamp?

Mace, shield, boat (nails) are pretty hard to beat. After that, armor, a stonecutter and a pickaxe for the next biome

Sadly you can never have too much iron. I'm working towards the 5th boss and I need to get some more goddamn iron.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Doh004 posted:

Not all crypts are the same, it seems. While my main swamp had tons of them, I only needed to mine out two of them to have nearly all the iron I needed for a good while.
Make the mace and the pants or shield. The next chest armor gives some much needed cold resist so if you can manage without the iron one, you can save yourself a headache.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A fully upgraded iron pickaxe is a great upgrade, you will fill up on inventory before your tool breaks. Less whacks to break a chunk too.

Shield first though.

Then after those two, do armor and finally weapons.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Honestly I'm fine with manual markers. Presses my nostalgia buttons.
I play solo since my group bailed at the first sign of network troubles and just started on bronze. Are people generally building an outpost at that point? It's not that far to my mainbase, but not sure how long it'll take to make a dent if I only manage one pickax worth of copper a day.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Is bronze armor worth it? It seems like it's only a little better armor than trollhide, and has a movement penalty. I'm kinda tempted to keep the troll pants and shirt, and just upgrade them until skipping to iron.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I have just been cheating myself the remaining materials once I've explored and gotten some of them since the loop after is just busy work

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

Is bronze armor worth it? It seems like it's only a little better armor than trollhide, and has a movement penalty. I'm kinda tempted to keep the troll pants and shirt, and just upgrade them until skipping to iron.

Not really, troll hide is plenty to get to iron. Just work on your parry skills.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

Not really, troll hide is plenty to get to iron. Just work on your parry skills.

Same here - troll hide and the bronze shield are a powerful combo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Doh004 posted:

Always shield first. Then probably sword and pickaxe. You'll need a mace too but not for a while.

Three is a bit thin, it'll get you most of the gear you'll want, but not all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Greader posted:

Joke option: Steal the triangulating mechanic from Miasmata, place stone heads or something everywhere as markers to tag from two different angles to reveal the map area around them. But yeah, would probably not work as it would require the draw distance to be a bit farther than it currently is :v:

Been having some fun with this game, even if my friends are either not interested or prefer playing alone so I have been dealing with things solo so far. Neatest geographical thing I found so far has been a small river that goes through some kind of canyon, just big enough to comfortably fit a boat through. Has a certain cinematicness to be slowly paddle through while being wedged between two steep cliffs, only to have it open up into a decently sized lake in the middle of a Black Forest biome. Halfway tempted to make a little shack there, though it is still a bit close to my current base and I was figuring that I should probs make an outpost further out where it might actually be useful. Maybe later as a vanity project

I actually was kinda thinking about something like the triangulation system from... I assume that game, can't remember what it was called. But yeah likely not usable without a longer draw distance.

Mostly it would just be nice if I could fill the map in without walking over every square inch of it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Cool thank you for the advice on iron! For what its worth, the first crypt I walked into I couldn't even finish as my bronze pickaxe broke. Gonna bring some materials to bring the forge out there next time.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Doh004 posted:

Cool thank you for the advice on iron! For what its worth, the first crypt I walked into I couldn't even finish as my bronze pickaxe broke. Gonna bring some materials to bring the forge out there next time.

The first boss gives you enough antlers to make 3 pick axes that can all be repaired with a regular workbench. Yes they are low tier but the muck piles are pretty quick regardless of what type of pick you use. I brought all 3 with me plus a bronze one and it was efficient enough that the iron pickaxe was one of the last things I crafted from iron.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Doh004 posted:

If you upgrade your bronze picks then you have to have an upgraded forge to repair them. Bring extra picks instead, or perhaps antler picks as they can be repaired at an unupgraded worktable.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

OB_Juan posted:

The only odd advantage to bronze is that its repairable with a basic forge while troll armor needs a leveled up workbench. So depending how you want do the forward outpost vs portal thing its a consideration. If you're portaling back regularly to repair/etc it doesnt matter, if you want to land somewhere and do everything on-site, you dont need all the leather and flint that you would need to repair troll armor

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
After running through a couple different characters, my approach is to focus bronze into axe, pickaxe, and shield plus carts and boat. Axe is a fine weapon, upgrade a basic club as far as you can as a backup/blunt weapon.

Also agree that taming each biome past the black forest is the best strategy. Flatten the swamp, build a massive staircase up the mountain, load your forge setup into a boat and bring it to each new outpost so you're not ferrying metals around. Tame the world because otherwise it will wreck you.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Bronze weapons/shield and bronze armor/upgraded troll armor can handle the swamp just fine so I'm putting my iron into tools and the stonecutter first. I died there because I was dumb and attacked a spot with 3 spawn points and kept fighting when I *knew* I didn't have the stamina to fight and parry two draugrs and should've hit da bricks.

I found a ruined stone tower on an easily defendable hill on an islet in a strip of black forest next to my first swamp and set up an outpost, then realized that the nearest few crypts were further to the southeast so now I'm debating whether to relocate closer and cut paths into the swamp so I can cart, make some more iron runs by foot to keep upgrading and/or get a longship, or explore the swamp some more and then relocate and cut paths.

I'll probably just hit the remaining crypts by foot then explore and relocate. No regrets in the time spent to set up that outpost though; literally as soon as I finished chopping out the high walls and started placing the palisades, I got hit by two pairs of trolls + greydwarves and then a swamp raid.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
edit: Sorry, had a day old tab open necroreplied to a post thats since gotten pages of answers lol

OwlFancier posted:

I have only had it happen twice thus far, both when exploring new islands, once because a troll spawned on the peninsula I had built a house on, which was absurd, and the second because I landed on a plains biome and something destroyed my boat before I could leave.

But the process of recovering from that is so tedious that it is still a major turnoff for the game.

E: now three times, because the game spawned a giant attack the minute I landed at my base and I died before i could move my spawn point.

The game does not have the capacity to not make itself annoying to play.

I mean, if you know you're going on a big sea journey with no easy way home... bring the poo poo to make a portal or bring the poo poo to make a spare ship. Hell, last time I died, I spawned on my same island as my swamp-expedition fort and while naked bout to run back to corpse, I chomped some food from stock chest and grabbed the poo poo to make a portal near where I died just to save the commute back and forth. You're the one not respecting your own time by not preparing before you set out to die on the shores of an alien land hoping the natives will take you in and teach you how to grow maize.

Also, if you really hate it so much and won't have fun overcoming the intended struggle, you can look up console commands.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 2, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm guessing my basic wood shield is why draugr are wrecking me. I did manage to grab like 80 scraps from the first crypt I found but can't get past a draugr spawn pile that puts out elites, there's even more muck behind them!

I only used one antler pickaxe but the crypt was super close to a meadow spot so I tossed a mining shack there, and can leg it back to the main forward outpost with smelter fairly fast.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

yeah wood shield is dicey, a bronze shield eats like 80%+ of a troll's hit even with terrible blocking skill, and once you get a banded iron shield I think that can fully block all damage from monsters at least through the mountain biome

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I made a bronze shield and I went from poo poo still hurting to being an invincible parry god (as long as I had stamina) so my priority 1 will be an iron shield probably followed by pick and then a weapon, then armor. (With obvious crafting stations in between)

The game absolutely rewards defensive play and punishes you for swinging wildly. Sure, it's quicker, but you'll take damage.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
If you're debating on how to use your iron effectively, tools and defense first then weapons. A bronze axe can still wreck wolves if you're decked out in good food and armor. An iron axe won't without things to support it.

Also the 2 handed iron axe is godawful.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

It's interesting how differently everyone plays. I'm pretty sure a new sword was the first thing I crafted in every tier, followed by the shield then armor. Tools were almost always last (not including bronze axe for reasons that are obvious).

Also after bronze I stopped doing little trips here and there for ore. If my longship wasn't full then I wasn't coming home.

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 2, 2021

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Buckwheat Sings posted:

If you're debating on how to use your iron effectively, tools and defense first then weapons. A bronze axe can still wreck wolves if you're decked out in good food and armor. An iron axe won't without things to support it.

Also the 2 handed iron axe is godawful.

if you're even a little confident with a shield or willing to become so, this is backwards; armor is a huge waste of metal since dead things do no damage (and also things blocked with a decent shield do no damage) vs just getting tools/weapons + a shield. also not having an iron mace for bonemass is going to make the fight way harder than it needs to be (and bonemass can be blocked/parried though not staggered).

like leaving the swamp with an iron shield + mace with trollhide armor is enough to destroy the mountain biome, it's way easier if you can parry, but just blocking is still going to be a FAR greater use of your metal for defense

I do wish this game had sidegrades for weapons and armor instead of only a direct T1 -> T2 -> T3 etc progression, but it's also early access so hopefully that arrives

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I prefer better tools because you can't repair them by hand and bronze and above need a forge under cover to repair so fewer chops/more durability out in the field is more important to me than a better weapon. Between vulnerabilities and the skill system, preparation and awareness makes up for not having the best weapons for the biome. There's no melee build/archer build or restrictions on melee weapons - bow shots (especially sneak attacks) to soften up then finish in melee. Or run, which in that case it doesn't matter what weapons I have.

[edit] Bosses are a different story, but we're talking about what to upgrade first.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Tempora Mutantur posted:

if you're even a little confident with a shield or willing to become so, this is backwards; armor is a huge waste of metal since dead things do no damage (and also things blocked with a decent shield do no damage) vs just getting tools/weapons + a shield. also not having an iron mace for bonemass is going to make the fight way harder than it needs to be (and bonemass can be blocked/parried though not staggered).

like leaving the swamp with an iron shield + mace with trollhide armor is enough to destroy the mountain biome, it's way easier if you can parry, but just blocking is still going to be a FAR greater use of your metal for defense

I do wish this game had sidegrades for weapons and armor instead of only a direct T1 -> T2 -> T3 etc progression, but it's also early access so hopefully that arrives
This is music to my ears. Just one crypt got me a shitload of iron so I can forge this and then hook up friends too

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Me and my buddy raided a few more crypts for iron yesterday, did some judicial land development along the way to make the cart-trip home less spooky and have no swimming. We've got this crazy shaped swamp, still haven't explored it all yet, but it's spawned in the middle of these highland black forest hills, so there are some steep slopes and cliffs leading straight to swamp danger.

We had enough iron to make ourselves both pickaxes and axes, plus enough to make something else for ourselves and we both got chest armour lol. I was going to build the iron Atgeir but it was like 30 iron instead of the 20 I had. Atgeir means going shield-less, but the spear's range is way too short and limited, the atgeir has the range you expect plus has a sweet AoE alt-attack. Plus I forgot to equip my shield most of the time anyway when I was using spear.

We decided to skirt around in the black forest along the swamp edge, heading towards our nearby swamp boss. It's fun to watch swamp and forest enemies fight eachother while you just casually walk past unharmed. He wound up dying in the dark while we tried to set-up a night camp, not realizing how late in day we left and having slid down a mountain that wouldve required a swamp trek to get back on the good side of. Dawn broke and I went poking in the swamp just wanting to at least scout the terrain a bit. Our loose plan was to fill the place in and set up some wooden cover spots here and there, still no idea what the boss is like.

It's... going to take some work. First, there's a little altar or rock formation with several bodypile spawners for draugr, one for skeletons, and something else I ran from. The land around it is fortunately pretty navigable, but we'll have to kill these spawners to not get overwhelmed just showing up. Then there's basically a perfect perimeter around the boss altar of these freaking fire holes that spew out little johnny fireseeds when you approach it. Feel like tonight gonna die more to fireboy and forgetting to have chugged a poison mead and an oozer shows up than whatever this boss ends up being.

edit:
Is there a way to train up weapons at homebase? Like, if you just set up some walls and attack them then repair them and attack some more, will that level your weapon skills? I know you could always go to a forest, knock on wood and beat up the treeny babies but I'm thinking about if you're already at home babysitting ore and meat and whatnot.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Khanstant posted:

edit:
Is there a way to train up weapons at homebase? Like, if you just set up some walls and attack them then repair them and attack some more, will that level your weapon skills? I know you could always go to a forest, knock on wood and beat up the treeny babies but I'm thinking about if you're already at home babysitting ore and meat and whatnot.

Find Rock.

Build building around Rock so you get relaxation bonus for stamina

Beat on rock with non-pickaxe item

Congrats, you now have a training dojo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
okay but are there waterfalls were I might find a rock under that waterfall and I can build my dojoshack there?

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Deki posted:

Find Rock.

Build building around Rock so you get relaxation bonus for stamina

Beat on rock with non-pickaxe item

Congrats, you now have a training dojo.

I'm pretty sure you get less XP per hit vs. inanimate objects than against actual wildlife and monsters.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I haven't really seen the point of a shield. So far dodge rolling is an easy escape button in the occasional case when you can't just time walking away from an enemies swing between melee strikes. Plus the bow has become my main weapon for any actually tough enemy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

the panacea posted:

I'm pretty sure you get less XP per hit vs. inanimate objects than against actual wildlife and monsters.

Maybe but you do get XP for wailing on another player even when they have PVP disabled.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Eschatos posted:

I haven't really seen the point of a shield. So far dodge rolling is an easy escape button in the occasional case when you can't just time walking away from an enemies swing between melee strikes. Plus the bow has become my main weapon for any actually tough enemy.

A parried enemy gets stunned and takes way more damage when in that state.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

the panacea posted:

Granted, but I can fire a couple hundred arrows into a rock while I watch a video on how to do something else. Most creatures fight back, and/or only take one or two arrows before they die and I have to find another creature. So even if I'm getting 3x the xp hitting a creature, I'm still gaining way less xp than I would be shooting the rock for a while.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone here good at troubleshooting dedicated servers? It didn't seem too difficult to set up: just edit the batch file, forward ports, and run it, but I can't get it to work.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Tempora Mutantur posted:

So the way armor works is if the damage is more than double your armor, you just negate (armor) damage. If the damage is less than that threshold, Damage taken = (Damage / (4 * Total Armor)) * Damage. So damage equal to armor is reduced to 25% of original value.

Armor is hugely impactful to your survivability, especially as damage scales up a lot faster than your max hp. Running with 80 hp against greylings doing 5 damage is a lot different that having 200 health against a wolf that bites you for 50.

Yes you can dark souls it and run around naked and perfectly party every attack but don't act like that's the optimal solution for every player. Armor is worth it because you WILL get hit, even if it's just from an early block that doesn't parry.

Bronze is very skippable, but I would make a full set of iron before the third boss.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Ash1138 posted:

Bronze weapons/shield and bronze armor/upgraded troll armor can handle the swamp just fine so I'm putting my iron into tools and the stonecutter first. I died there because I was dumb and attacked a spot with 3 spawn points and kept fighting when I *knew* I didn't have the stamina to fight and parry two draugrs and should've hit da bricks.

I found a ruined stone tower on an easily defendable hill on an islet in a strip of black forest next to my first swamp and set up an outpost, then realized that the nearest few crypts were further to the southeast so now I'm debating whether to relocate closer and cut paths into the swamp so I can cart, make some more iron runs by foot to keep upgrading and/or get a longship, or explore the swamp some more and then relocate and cut paths.

I'll probably just hit the remaining crypts by foot then explore and relocate. No regrets in the time spent to set up that outpost though; literally as soon as I finished chopping out the high walls and started placing the palisades, I got hit by two pairs of trolls + greydwarves and then a swamp raid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do not understand why portals are paired rather than just being networked. I just stranded myself changing the tag because there is no clear indication when the portal has changed destination. Game realls seems determined to make me hate it.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I do not understand why portals are paired rather than just being networked. I just stranded myself changing the tag because there is no clear indication when the portal has changed destination. Game realls seems determined to make me hate it.

heh ngl that happened to me once

now when I change tags I just back up to let the glow go away then move up, that seems to be enough time to not (change tag) -> (walk through portal) -> (find out you can't go back because the tag changed *AFTER* you walked through*)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

OwlFancier posted:

Just leave an unmarked portal in your base to use for situations like that