Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dias posted:

Vision said "What is grief if not love persisting?". The Internet sucks so it's either the greatest line in written English or hacky, terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if someone said ~problematic~.

tbh i don't think anyone would've cared as much if there wasn't a hilariously-worded tweet about how good it was going around

edit: it was "Do you hear that sound? It’s every screenwriter in the world whispering a reverent “gently caress” under their breath. #WandaVision"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

That's not what the person said and the way they put it is why it got roundly mocked.

Oh I get that, but ppl were also swarming anyone who said anything vaguely positive about the line. It's a shlocky line, but given the right mood that sorta stuff can poke thru.

https://twitter.com/BrandyLJensen/status/1366078043375226881?s=19

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

wrt the attack on titan naming thing, the sheer amount of poo poo that the actual professional translators get for poo poo that the publishers decide is insane.

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1362487070996918274

Been watching it happen in basically real time with seeing certain games and stuff come out where people have long protracted meltdowns about 'how dare those lazy translators name x thing ecks don't they know us fan translators know best' etc etc. Handful of localization professionals have straight up been abused into deleting their accounts and so on and so forth.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh I have no problem being moved by stuff like that - who doesn't tear up when the Terminator does the thumbs up when it's lowered into the molten steel?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dias posted:

Vision said "What is grief if not love persisting?". The Internet sucks so it's either the greatest line in written English or hacky, terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if someone said ~problematic~.
I've never felt more like a centrist on anything. It's funny that people are losing their poo poo at some pinterest level inspiration quote, but also annoying to see The Defenders of True Cinema! get very indignant about people liking a line that's just fine.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

The name is dumb. When I first heard it I thought it was gonna be a space opera (the title conjures up an assault on Saturn's moon).

Same here, when I learned the truth I was devastated and shunned AOT irrationally for months as dumb fantasy crap before I got over myself. But then I didn't have enough time for reading more than the first couple volumes anyway, so that was a waste of time. :shepface:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh I have no problem being moved by stuff like that - who doesn't tear up when the Terminator does the thumbs up when it's lowered into the molten steel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4o64Se8law

Brings a tear to ole' John Romero's eye.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sarcopenia posted:

I've never felt more like a centrist on anything. It's funny that people are losing their poo poo at some pinterest level inspiration quote, but also annoying to see The Defenders of True Cinema! get very indignant about people liking a line that's just fine.

I even thought it was a good line in context! It works with Vision's voice, Bettany's delivery (Wandavision is carried hard by him and Liz Olsen) and everything we were shown up to that moment. The reaction to the silly tweet overhyping it is dumb, but hey, the Internet.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

wrt the attack on titan naming thing, the sheer amount of poo poo that the actual professional translators get for poo poo that the publishers decide is insane.

https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1362487070996918274

Been watching it happen in basically real time with seeing certain games and stuff come out where people have long protracted meltdowns about 'how dare those lazy translators name x thing ecks don't they know us fan translators know best' etc etc. Handful of localization professionals have straight up been abused into deleting their accounts and so on and so forth.

Double post but yeah, translating is HARD, and sometimes you make decisions that are overruled by your client because "they like it better the other way". I'm not a professional translator but I've taken translation jobs before, and sometimes you just have to go with something you disagree with because the client wants it that way.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dias posted:

I even thought it was a good line in context! It works with Vision's voice, Bettany's delivery (Wandavision is carried hard by him and Liz Olsen) and everything we were shown up to that moment. The reaction to the silly tweet overhyping it is dumb, but hey, the Internet.
Yeah, I imagine that it's not the line so much as the line in that moment that the person is reacting to. Like, "I'm Superman", isn't brilliant screenwriting on it's own but in context it makes your lip quiver. Unfortunately for the person who wrote the tweet it's very memeable and I have seen some funny ones. I just feel bad for the initial tweeter because I imagine that some people always take these sorts of things way to seriously. What an innocent thing to become the main character of Twitter over.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Sarcopenia posted:

As someone who is a lefty who follows a bunch of accounts (mostly my friends) they get so riled up of this mainly because they don't want to hear about Marvel stuff. Unfortunately Twitter is a hellsite so that can't be avoided.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It's insane to me that their problem is that they don't want to hear about a popular thing and the solution they come up with is not to take a break from the website where millions of people go to talk about popular things.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got reminded of the Quartering’s existence again. I’m continually sad, frustrated, and baffled at how there are smart, talented, compassionate people of all stripes on YouTube and even if they try to put out stuff often enough for the algorithm to notice them, they have less of a following than a grown-rear end schlub ranting about girls getting cooties in his video games.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Ariong posted:

It's insane to me that their problem is that they don't want to hear about a popular thing and the solution they come up with is not to take a break from the website where millions of people go to talk about popular things.
I think that their problem is more that Disney is swallowing everything and that makes some people understandably frustrated, which leads to them less understandably lashing out at anyone daring to enjoy anything in relation to it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, it was a lot of people going beyond "This is not the highest form of writing and that shows how limited one's view in media if one thinks that" into weird, somewhat vitrolic analysis of one's spirit and nature and this means to human culture somewhat.

I watched that Demo Reel doc and now NC's spiel on the Lorax review went from "kind of infuriating" to "honestly depressing to listen to".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sarcopenia posted:

I think that their problem is more that Disney is swallowing everything and that makes some people understandably frustrated, which leads to them less understandably lashing out at anyone daring to enjoy anything in relation to it.

I mean, if people are worried about entertainment becoming monopolized, I think they're like a Hollywood too early for that, unfortunately.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Kunster posted:

Yeah, it was a lot of people going beyond "This is not the highest form of writing and that shows how limited one's view in media if one thinks that" into weird, somewhat vitrolic analysis of one's spirit and nature and this means to human culture somewhat.

yeah, it was this imo. i think it would have been ok just to have a fun laugh at the goofy tweet instead of trying to turn it into a weird battleground for the culture war

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The wandavision line would not have caught so much flack if it wasn’t for the fact that the same deeply incurious, unversed people getting knocked the gently caress over in wonder at a line that sounds like it came from a hallmark card hadn’t also spent the last year screaming for the bloody murder of Martin Scorsese for saying their cartoon punchman movies weren’t high cinema

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The wandavision line would not have caught so much flack if it wasnt for the fact that the same deeply incurious, unversed people getting knocked the gently caress over in wonder at a line that sounds like it came from a hallmark card hadnt also spent the last year screaming for the bloody murder of Martin Scorsese for saying their cartoon punchman movies werent high cinema

on the other hand, scorcese made a boring-rear end 3h+ movie, i'unno why he hates marvel that much if they're delivering the same thing!!

:v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know I much prefer the funny notions around Joshua Graham's line from Fallout New Vegas getting turned into Christian social media inspirational quotes. The Wanda Vision thing is just sad but the New Vegas one makes me laugh.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

A big problem is something can't be good, it has to be THE BEST EVER!! You can't just like the line form Wandavision, the line has to be so good all other writers are wowed by it. A game can't be good, it has to be the Citizen Kane of video games. A shot can't be just nice to look at, it has to be something that will be taught in film classes for years to come. It gets really annoying. Especially if it's coupled with someone putting down something solely to elevate what they like.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I dont know I much prefer the funny notions around Joshua Graham's line from Fallout New Vegas getting turned into Christian social media inspirational quotes. The Wanda Vision thing is just sad but the New Vegas one makes me laugh.

They also got the line wrong and made it worse which makes it funnier.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dias posted:

A 1:1 correlation would imply Jewish people could literally turn into gigantic monsters and were the dominating force until very recently. I mean, you can argue "no, but Jews have been portrayed as a hidden, monstrous force, so it's also ~allegory~", but that's why analyzing everything as a 1:1 allegory is just real bad. ELDIANS DO NOT EXIST. Isayama uses ghetto imagery to signal them as, well, ghettoized, but ELDIANS ARE NOT THE JEWISH. gently caress, you have a better argument if you look at Paradis Island and its insurgence as an allegory for Japanese nationalism post-WW2, but someone made a Tumblr post about the armbands and here we are.

Also, "they brought it on themselves" is never the point, unless you think depictions of prejudice equal entertaining the idea. There's a big villain speech justifying an incoming genocide with what basically amounts to that too! Every major Marlyean-Eldian character is portrayed as a victim of systemic racism, being brainwashed into thinking "they brought it on themselves". It's why Gabi, a child soldier and Titan candidate in the latter part of the manga, fights so hard for her oppressors, because that way she can prove she's one of the "good ones".

edit: that's not saying AoT is unimpeachable, you can criticize using very loaded imagery in a story that's going for more of a "cycle of violence" take on war, I think that's a big flaw the manga has, but that's never the approach people take, it's always this "oh we're supposed to see the eldians as jews!!!" because once again, everything has to be a 1:1 allegory.

I know this is a couple pages old and some vile, dire derail people don't want to engage in (and I don't have any interest in Attack on Titan's handling of armbands, generationally-persecuted minorities, and ghettos in particular) but this argument specifically is really stupid. Allegory is allegory no matter how "1:1" it is. Jesus wasn't an actual literal lion, talking lions don't exist, and he wasn't murdered on a stone table by a bunch of goblins and poo poo, but that doesn't remove the allegory from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

You could debate whether or not it even is allegory, some ill-considered appropriation of certain symbols of fascism, or something else, but this whole vein of "this isn't allegory because it doesn't a thing doesn't exist and it isn't a perfect match to real world things!" is an inane rebuttal, and if anything maybe lends credence to the problem with borrowing certain charged imagery from some of the most iconically monstrous moments in human history that are bound to cause strong knee-jerk reactions in people.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Sarcopenia posted:

I can relate. One of my favorite youtubers, Captain Midnight, has been talking about nothing but Disney/Marvel stuff and other big brand franchises lately and I just cant bring myself to give a poo poo. I don't want to know what possible ways there are to bring the X-men into the MCU, I am just so tired of everything becoming a freaking shared universe of bland franchise movies.

edit: Thinking about it, it is kinda fascinating that the MCU is going the same way their comic book counterparts did, in that the fun idea for storytelling slowly turned into a confusing mess that will probably collapse into itself sooner or later.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

flatluigi posted:

tbh i don't think anyone would've cared as much if there wasn't a hilariously-worded tweet about how good it was going around

edit: it was "Do you hear that sound? It’s every screenwriter in the world whispering a reverent “gently caress” under their breath. #WandaVision"

That tweet was the perfect raw-nerve-toucher for the tens of thousands of failed and/or wanna-be screenwriters on twitter. It's like the troll equivalent of an outsider artist who somehow creates an absolute masterpiece.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

The name is dumb. When I first heard it I thought it was gonna be a space opera (the title conjures up an assault on Saturn's moon).

it isn't????? i've seen the giant meat men but i seriously assumed it was about a space colony under attack from giant meat men

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
if AOT was operating under low gravity i would be way more into it. imagining them flying around on their little hookshot system and winging themselves into space by accident

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

I know this is a couple pages old and some vile, dire derail people don't want to engage in (and I don't have any interest in Attack on Titan's handling of armbands, generationally-persecuted minorities, and ghettos in particular) but this argument specifically is really stupid. Allegory is allegory no matter how "1:1" it is. Jesus wasn't an actual literal lion, talking lions don't exist, and he wasn't murdered on a stone table by a bunch of goblins and poo poo, but that doesn't remove the allegory from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

You could debate whether or not it even is allegory, some ill-considered appropriation of certain symbols of fascism, or something else, but this whole vein of "this isn't allegory because it doesn't a thing doesn't exist and it isn't a perfect match to real world things!" is an inane rebuttal, and if anything maybe lends credence to the problem with borrowing certain charged imagery from some of the most iconically monstrous moments in human history that are bound to cause strong knee-jerk reactions in people.

Motherfucker, you yourself said it was a 1:1 allegory. Of course the imagery evokes Jewish people because of the ghettos, but ELDIANS ARE NOT JEWS, what is inane is reading everything like that because you're trying to prove yourself right.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dias posted:

Motherfucker, you yourself said it was a 1:1 allegory. Of course the imagery evokes Jewish people because of the ghettos, but ELDIANS ARE NOT JEWS, what is inane is reading everything like that because you're trying to prove yourself right.

you're not very bright are you

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Alaois posted:

you're not very bright are you

Bright is a good example of an attempt at a 1:1 allegory actually falling apart because it doesn't fit the text of the movie!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dias posted:

I don't know why you think I said it was a 1:1 allegory because I didn't.

Dias posted:

Bright is a good example of an attempt at a 1:1 allegory actually falling apart because it doesn't fit the text of the movie!

Bright isn't an allegory, it's racial coding leading to problematic implications for the orcs and elves. Funny enough, this whole thing about "these are fantasy people, this isn't real, and it's not a metaphor for anything!!!" is actually identical to how people dismiss similar concerns around D&D fantasy races.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

e X posted:

I can relate. One of my favorite youtubers, Captain Midnight, has been talking about nothing but Disney/Marvel stuff and other big brand franchises lately and I just cant bring myself to give a poo poo. I don't want to know what possible ways there are to bring the X-men into the MCU, I am just so tired of everything becoming a freaking shared universe of bland franchise movies.

edit: Thinking about it, it is kinda fascinating that the MCU is going the same way their comic book counterparts did, in that the fun idea for storytelling slowly turned into a confusing mess that will probably collapse into itself sooner or later.

The sad thing is the pandemic is probably the best thing to happen to the entertainment industry for a while. A whole blissful year of no mcu films dominating all discussion or drowning out all competition and all it cost us was 2.53 million innocent lives!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know why you think I said it was a 1:1 allegory because I didn't.

Bright isn't an allegory, it's racial coding leading to problematic implications for the orcs and elves. Funny enough, this whole thing about "these are fantasy people, this isn't real, and it's not a metaphor for anything!!!" is actually identical to how people dismiss similar concerns around D&D fantasy races.

I thought you were the person I replied to on that post, my bad. That motherfucker literally said "there's a 1:1 correlation", and, like...no?

AP English really broke people's brains.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Todd posted a OHW on Return of the Mack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JILcyYohljk&t=728s

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yeyeye, One Hit Wonderland is always dope.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The sad thing is the pandemic is probably the best thing to happen to the entertainment industry for a while. A whole blissful year of no mcu films dominating all discussion or drowning out all competition and all it cost us was 2.53 million innocent lives!

Well, I found the news that Nickelodeon created a whole studio, just for Avatar spin-offs, super disheartening.

None of them will be great, none of them will be terrible, we will just drown in an ocean of mediocrity

e X fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 2, 2021

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kunster posted:

Last weekend you could easily sap all your lifeforce from witnessing the discussion behind Vision talking about grief. Jesus Christ I can easily, easily picture a Sarah Z video on like the reaction to that line and the sheer backlash to the reaction of that line, like, a few years down the line to the point I almost felt bad for capestuff enjoyers.
https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1366286832057556992

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/TheRealTutuBear/status/1366314348239585281

This one is also powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao Doug Walker's character in Demo Reel is Jake Lloyd????