Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'd choose to die on the hill that muerte left his broken Wal-Mart cart on during his aborted trans-American trek, so my spirit could haunt the spot of the failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'd pick this volcano.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Admiralty Flag posted:

I'd choose to die on the hill that muerte left his broken Wal-Mart cart on during his aborted trans-American trek, so my spirit could haunt the spot of the failure

“A nice place to walk your dog!”

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Phy posted:

Yeah, I assumed he got brought down from Kilimanjaro because it's a whole lot lower and it's a hike down with no climbing. Possibly they could have helicoptered him down as well, or walked him down partway and choppered the rest. None of the articles I found said anything one way or another.

Helicopters can fly at speed at that altitude but you wouldn't want to do any hovering or landing over 10,000 feet.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Leviathan Song posted:

Helicopters can fly at speed at that altitude but you wouldn't want to do any hovering or landing over 10,000 feet.

https://i.imgur.com/AtNCCH5.mp4

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Phy posted:

I can definitely see the appeal here, and the nice thing about being dead is you don't have to feel ashamed at making someone haul your dead rear end all the way down the tallest mountain in Africa

Doesn't even crack my top 5, to be honest

waffleman
Aug 5, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
it really ties the nation together

Call Your Grandma posted:

Ccol, thx.

waffleman
Aug 5, 2007

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
it really ties the nation together

Call Your Grandma posted:

Dude crosses Atlantic 3 times in kayak, leaves behind children, dies at 70+ by going to sleep on top of mountain he just climbed. "nah I can think of like 6 better ways to die"

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I had a mentor who taught me how to golf. I understand it’s not a popular sport on the forums and I can’t really afford to play it anymore more but as a kid I loved it. He was a medic veteran of ww2 and hated the things he saw. He taught me a lot about poo poo and man he died smiling on the tee of a par three, club on the ground, golf ball in the hole a hole in one, smile on his face. I think we’d all like to go out like that or like the dude from the thread, doing what we love.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

That method seems perfectly safe when the cargo is already dead.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

waffleman posted:

Dude crosses Atlantic 3 times in kayak, leaves behind children, dies at 70+ by going to sleep on top of mountain he just climbed. "nah I can think of like 6 better ways to die"

the joke was i can think of like 6 better things about dying so thanks for making me explain a joke buddy i hope you go climb a mountain irl

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I had a mentor who taught me how to golf. I understand it’s not a popular sport on the forums and I can’t really afford to play it anymore more but as a kid I loved it. He was a medic veteran of ww2 and hated the things he saw. He taught me a lot about poo poo and man he died smiling on the tee of a par three, club on the ground, golf ball in the hole a hole in one, smile on his face. I think we’d all like to go out like that or like the dude from the thread, doing what we love.

On the throne after a massive dump seems reasonably achievable.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tlg/d/seattle-are-you-mountain-man/7282846524.html

Sorry, if there's a rugged individualist dating show thread I'll move this there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Two madmen just skied down Half Dome. Successfully. I can only salute.

quote:

“If you fall to your left or right, you’re definitely dead,” said JT Holmes, a professional freeskier from Reno who is a friend of one of the skiers. “If you fall down the middle, you have a small chance of not falling to your death — but it’s a maybe.”

“We’d ski a few hundred feet, then run out of snow, do a rappel, then ski some more,” Torlano said.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I dunno what the deal is but this season of Alone with 2 people per team sucks poo poo. It's just completely off. It's like they're more guarded with their thoughts with another person around instead of just the camera. Or maybe the contestants are just bad. It didn't help at all that so many of them didn't even make it to camp. What a loving terrible idea having one partner hike to the other.

Also I gotta assume barring some catastrophe that the married couple wins easy. Not being away from the spouse removes an enormous part of the "being away from family" thing.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 27, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

I dunno what the deal is but this season of Alone with 2 people per team sucks poo poo. It's just completely off. It's like they're more guarded with their thoughts with another person around instead of just the camera. Or maybe the contestants are just bad. It didn't help at all that so many of them didn't even make it to camp. What a loving terrible idea having one partner hike to the other.

Also I gotta assume barring some catastrophe that the married couple wins easy. Not being away from the spouse removes an enormous part of the "being away from family" thing.
Which season is this?

I just watched half of the first one and holy poo poo people are legitimately breaking down lol. So yeah being alone seems like a key part of the concept.

I don't know what I expected, but poo poo's legit and the conditions are pretty horrific. I, as someone who never sleeps without a solid roof over my head, of course thought "how hard could it be? I've been to the PNW, it's pretty nice there". But gently caress, imagine getting dropped into the middle of a dense forest with no edible plants, or animals to hunt, and it's raining and/or freezing every day. Oh and there are bears.

On the upside, the cougar situation sounds awesome. One of the guy said something like "imagine you wake up in the middle of the night, and there's a cougar standing right outside your shelter". drat right I'm imagining this all the time :quagmire:

E: First time watching US network TV, all the pharma ads are pretty :psyduck:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 27, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The pairs season is four, and it is bad.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I didn't mind the hiking bit no one was eliminated because of hiking but yeah towards the end it was just people being incredibly miserable together and sitting around waiting to give up which sucks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

Married couples are the least likely to ever win because of all the calories they waste porkin on the dirt floor of their cabin

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If anything, married couples wouldn't have that disadvantage

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

bird with big dick posted:

Married couples are the least likely to ever win because of all the calories they waste porkin on the dirt floor of their cabin

I thought for a second I was in another thread where a goon mentioned he almost got onto a reality show competition with his partner, and got confused.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I never would have seen this show if not for this thread. It is amazing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I'd fail for similar reasons as soon as I got my hands on some animal grease.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh the married couple just mentioned they have kids. While I still think they have enormous advantages over the other teams (brothers at each other's throats and father/son team where the father is old as gently caress), them leaving their kids without parents for an undetermined amount of time adds a big issue for them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wonder what the producers would do if they came for the med check and to pick up the memory cards and they look and it’s just 40 hours of footage of me jerkin it into the fire pit like would they kick me off or tell me to quit or air it censored with “Vigorous masturbation can burn 1200 calories an hour this may prove costly if Bird is unable to secure a reliable source of protein.” Would it be sexual harassment? Indecent exposure? Could I be prosecuted?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It looks like the kids were 14 and 12, so at least old enough to understand what was going on. I don't remember if they said what they did with the kids, maybe a grandparent came to stay with them or the kids went to stay with friends?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well that season blew rear end

Glad to see a bunch of the people they brought back for Season 5, although the ones who tapped because they got sad it's like "Yeah, why do you think it's gonna go any different?"

I like you a lot Sam, Nicole, and Britt, but you're still gonna get bummed as gently caress about being away from your kids just like last time.

Whoa, fuckin' freak injury right off the bat that suuuuuuuuucks

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 28, 2021

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

It looks like the kids were 14 and 12, so at least old enough to understand what was going on. I don't remember if they said what they did with the kids, maybe a grandparent came to stay with them or the kids went to stay with friends?

Honey how can we get rid of our horrible teenagers without getting child protective services on our rear end

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That Death Valley Germans article was a great read but I never saw the ending of an anti inyo county hissy fit coming.

I eagerly await the algorithmically cast Netflix adaptation starring inexpensive Jon Hamm as the German dad and luke and Owen Wilson as the RMRC searchers directed by whoever made the hottest music video of the last two years.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Seeing people on Alone sharpening their knife with a bit of smooth river or ocean rock made me think “this seems as or more likely to dullen their knife unless they really know what they’re doing” so I decided to try it on one of my mother’s kitchen knives.

I have a sharpness testing system that measure how much pressure (in grams) it takes to cut through a wire test media. Lower is better of course, with around 400 being a pretty serviceable edge though nothing to brag about (the best I’ve gotten an edge to is about 140). Butter knife is around 2000-2500. DE razor blade is around 75.

My mother’s Wusthof chefs knife measured between 850 and 970 when I started.

After about 20 minutes of fiddling with a bit of basalt ocean rock I grabbed, it scored between 1150 and 1500.

I need to find some river rock to try it though I think, something harder and smoother than basalt.

But it did kinda confirm my hypothesis, if you don’t know what you’re doing don’t try to sharpen your knife on a smooth rock you found in the yard. Going from ~900 to ~1300 is pretty bad and is easily enough to make your knifing significantly less pleasant.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

some kind of a ~~sharp scale to measure sharpness~~ pun here

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Seeing people on Alone sharpening their knife with a bit of smooth river or ocean rock made me think “this seems as or more likely to dullen their knife unless they really know what they’re doing” so I decided to try it on one of my mother’s kitchen knives.

I have a sharpness testing system that measure how much pressure (in grams) it takes to cut through a wire test media. Lower is better of course, with around 400 being a pretty serviceable edge though nothing to brag about (the best I’ve gotten an edge to is about 140). Butter knife is around 2000-2500. DE razor blade is around 75.

After about 20 minutes of fiddling with a bit of basalt ocean rock I grabbed, it scored between 1150 and 1500.

I need to find some river rock to try it though I think, something harder and smoother than basalt.

But it did kinda confirm my hypothesis, if you don’t know what you’re doing don’t try to sharpen your knife on a smooth rock you found in the yard. Going from ~900 to ~1300 is pretty bad and is easily enough to make your knifing significantly less pleasant.

That's loving cool as hell and I love that you tested a survival game trope to find that it's bullshit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I once had to sharpen a pocket knife on a rock before cutting my knee open to pull some cactus spines out. It does work but you need a piece of siltstone or fine grain sedimentary rock. Basically something that looks like a sharpening stone because that's what they originally were (I think, probably).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I wonder what the producers would do if they came for the med check and to pick up the memory cards and they look and it’s just 40 hours of footage of me jerkin it into the fire pit like would they kick me off or tell me to quit or air it censored with “Vigorous masturbation can burn 1200 calories an hour this may prove costly if Bird is unable to secure a reliable source of protein.” Would it be sexual harassment? Indecent exposure? Could I be prosecuted?

Send me some sample footage for review plz

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Random rocks aren’t perfect, but if the contestant has been abusing the blade and has decent sharpening technique, it may well be an improvement. I’d take a rock over one of those pull-through dealios, but even those things can improve very dull blades.

A proper sharpening stone is on the list of items a person can elect to bring on Alone. I think it’s a trap and I don’t recall anyone falling for it. If you can’t think of anything better to bring, bring another bladed tool or a saw. Better to have a nice large knife to process that moose than have to do the job with a multitool.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

If you can’t think of anything better to bring, bring another bladed tool

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Outrail posted:

I once had to sharpen a pocket knife on a rock before cutting my knee open to pull some cactus spines out. It does work but you need a piece of siltstone or fine grain sedimentary rock. Basically something that looks like a sharpening stone because that's what they originally were (I think, probably).

From my research you want something hard and fine grained like chert or flint. Natural Japanese water stones are apparently fine quartz suspended in a clay matrix which is basically what some synthetic sharpening stones are.

Siltstone would definitely be fine grained enough but may be real slow or not work due to being too soft. Not 100% sure.

I think my rock was the right shape (ie it was flat enough) but too soft so the edge dug in a bit rather than being abraded across the top. I will find a better rock and try again.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
It's entirely possible I just blunted the edge before carving up my leg, but it was pretty blunt before, so. :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for testing this! I'm sure your mom also appreciate you loving with her Wusthof knife :v:

Can you also test sharpening it on the bottom of a mug? That's another lifehack I've heard, through less applicable to Alone unless someone is stupid enough to take a ceramic mug as one of their items..

Btw, where did you get the measurement system? I've been meaning to test my sharpening method but my favorite aliexpress and ebay have nothing somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
So on season 7, where they have a host talk to the contestants at the end of the show... Are we not going to talk about how he's clearly set his Zoom background to a generic workshop in order to seem more rugged?