Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I will not budge, I will die on this hill and then continue to haunt it by shouting correct opinions at anyone who passes by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

post me your generations recap, cowardi would enjoy to read it :3:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Picard having to contemplate his legacy and mortality

Lol, yeah, all 3 minutes of that gem of a plot was great. There was more meat on the Data Acts Like An Obnoxious Toddler Because Of Emotions plot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's really amazing when you look at Generations and First Contact back to back and realize how one dimensional Picard has become.

He goes through months of recovery after "Best of Both Worlds", has to face the Borg twice after that, and both times spares/helps them. I mean, FFS, he had the opportunity to GENOCIDE them and decided against it. In Generations he loses his ship but knows there will be another and he still has family even though he suffered a personal tragedy.

Then First Contact rolls around and Starfleet says he can't react rationally around the Borg, proves them right when he doesn't even try to save members of his crew which he knows can likely be rehabilitated in some way, then he endangers not only all that remains of his crew and the future of earth over revenge, culminating in a guilt driven suicide mission that that's only successful because Data just isn't all that into her.

Let's all have a heartwarming homecoming to the present, except of course for the dozens upon dozens of crew members that got either liquified or otherwise short circuited when the queen died.

And, also, the guy you machine gunned to death for the sheer thrill of it.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

red shirts don't really count as people

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

bull3964 posted:

Then First Contact rolls around and Starfleet says he can't react rationally around the Borg, proves them right when he doesn't even try to save members of his crew which he knows can likely be rehabilitated in some way, then he endangers not only all that remains of his crew and the future of earth over revenge, culminating in a guilt driven suicide mission that that's only successful because Data just isn't all that into her.

Let's all have a heartwarming homecoming to the present, except of course for the dozens upon dozens of crew members that got either liquified or otherwise short circuited when the queen died.

If First Contact had happened before I, Borg it would have made total sense

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Speaking of First Contact, this is page 2063.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Dennis McCarthy's score for Generations was definitely better than his work on the show but fundamentally it's still mostly the same sonic wallpaper aside from the main theme and helps make the movie feel like a TV episode

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Peewwwwwww peewwwwwwwwwww goes the phaser from the giant dick cannon that old Riker had added to the All Good Things Enterprise to any opinion on Generations being good.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
if I dont blow my brains out there is a statistically likely chance my grand children will live to the point that the date in tos is closer than when tos was actually made.

hell ill probably live to the first contact date.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm not asking you to recognize Generations as good.

Only that the other 3 are worse.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

It's still the best TNG movie.
Not while First Contact exists

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

After I finish my current TNG run I intend to watch all of the TNG movies before I move on to DS9. I'm sure I will enjoy them all.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I don't care who posts a funny Generations recap with plentiful screenshots, but someone should. I did like 80% of Babylon 5, my dues are paid. Make yourself internetfamous, kid

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

After the slog of most of S7, All Good Things is a legit treasure.

It’s honestly the movie that should have been made instead of fukken Generations. Which is crazy since the episode was made in a rush DUE to the movie

All Good Things was *way* too steeped in continuity and lore to work as a TNG movie, let alone the first TNG movie. There's no way it would have drawn in casual audiences.

Also, while the writing of AGT was a bit haphazard due to Braga and Moore also working on Generations, and Piller occasionally farting around and inserting weird bullshit into the script (like a dumbass subplot about Space Pilgrims trying to get to the anomaly) because he wanted to have a hand in the finale, it was actually a really very smooth shoot with very few hiccups, same with post-production.

The biggest issue was that Stewart is in literally every single scene of the episode, and as a result he became utterly exhausted, to the point of having semi-frequent on-set arguments with director Rich Kolbe. (It actually cost Kolbe the Generations job, as Stewart didn't want to work with him again so soon after AGT; the TNG crew was back to work on the movie just a few weeks after wrapping AGT. Carson slid into the job as the backup choice, with Stewart pushing for him as he felt Carson had a more "movie"-esque eye.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

bull3964 posted:

It's really amazing when you look at Generations and First Contact back to back and realize how one dimensional Picard has become.

He goes through months of recovery after "Best of Both Worlds", has to face the Borg twice after that, and both times spares/helps them. I mean, FFS, he had the opportunity to GENOCIDE them and decided against it. In Generations he loses his ship but knows there will be another and he still has family even though he suffered a personal tragedy.

You definitely have a point, but I think one of the subtle points of the movie is that recovery from trauma is uneven. Picard made one step of progress (I, Borg) and then took two steps back when his ship and even the future of humanity itself was threatened. I, Borg showed that Picard hadn't recovered as fully from his Borg experience as he had let on, or maybe even thought himself.

That's why Lily's Moby Dick reference is so incisive. She's the only one who can nail Picard on that because the rest of them are his underlings; they can't question the captain's orders.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's why Lily's Moby Dick reference is so incisive. She's the only one who can nail Picard on that because the rest of them are his underlings; they can't question the captain's orders.

Well, there are two people on the main cast who can nail him: Crusher and Troi. But Troi's earthside and Crusher is practically written out she's such a non-entity.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

First Contact loses points for both misquoting Moby Dick and not using it well as Wrath of Khan did. On the other hand, without First Contact, we'd never have gotten the opening sequence from the Enterprise mirror universe episode, so let's call it a wash.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Well, there are two people on the main cast who can nail him: Crusher and Troi. But Troi's earthside and Crusher is practically written out she's such a non-entity.

Yeah, that was odd. I guess she was shooting something else at the time?

It did allow Sirtis a chance to shine, though. The "you're drunk" scene is one of the best in the movie.

Admiralty Flag posted:

First Contact loses points for both misquoting Moby Dick and not using it well as Wrath of Khan did. On the other hand, without First Contact, we'd never have gotten the opening sequence from the Enterprise mirror universe episode, so let's call it a wash.

I've never watched much Enterprise, but I've seen that scene and it's a great introduction to the episode.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 3, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Maybe McFadden was shooting something else at the time.

No, it's really that lines for actors not named Stewart, Spiner and Guest Star Playing The Villain were very much at a premium in all the TNG movies, just as everyone who wasn't Shatner / Nimoy / Kelley basically had to fight to actually get screentime in the TOS movies.

With the TNG films, the mindset was for the secondary characters to each get one good scene in the movie, and then they were window dressing for the rest of the time. Most notably short-shrifted were McFadden (who refuses to speak about Insurrection, she was that unhappy with it) and Sirtis (who has similar thoughts about Nemesis), but Burton also really got the short end of the stick as well--I literally can't remember a single thing he does in Nemesis outside of grimly saying the transporters are out after Picard beams to the Scimitar.

It was never an issue of scheduling or availability, it was always just a matter of there being only so much screentime to go around in a modestly budgeted, 100-minute movie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
You heard of Zombie Simpsons, if not google it.
Generations is where TNG turned into Zombie Star Trek.

Picard (and the rest of the Federation soon after) went from a diplomat to a swashbuckler.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I recently rewatched all four TNG movies (had them playing in the background while working from home) and without fail every time you look over at the screen something bad and stupid is happening.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the TNG movies were utter hot garbage. After I finished the entire tv show I went to watch them and just lost total interest after First Contact. It just ruined every single thing IMO.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
First contact is a good movie but it's lousy TNG and worse Star Trek.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

First contact is a good movie but it's lousy TNG and worse Star Trek.

But it gave us what's probably my favorite non-Weird-Al song parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7h7Mfe8BDw

(Through the lens of this song, it kind of seems like better Star Trek than it is.)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Wow I want to watch that version of First Contact

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Lester Shy posted:

I recently rewatched all four TNG movies (had them playing in the background while working from home) and without fail every time you look over at the screen something bad and stupid is happening.

Next time you should try watching them with your screen on!!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I watched All Good Things.

I gotta admit. The poker scene at the end got to me a little.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Admiralty Flag posted:

The quote from Moby Dick is far too unwieldy to be said aloud as written for the purpose of the scene, so I get why they altered it. But it's in the middle of Patrick Stewart and Alfre Woodard acting their asses off at each other, so it's all for a good cause.

a neat cape posted:

"...And the sky's the limit." is such a great line to end a Trek show on.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

a neat cape posted:

Never be ashamed at getting emotional at Star Trek, OP. ;_;

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

obviously they go to the well too many times with Burnham, but still

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Royal Updog posted:

obviously they go to the well too many times with Burnham, but still

From what little I've seen of Discovery, whenever Burnham has choked up it seemed warranted, but granted I've watched like probably 25 minutes of it out of 3 seasons and counting now, so I have no real metric for how often she breaks down and over what.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

From what little I've seen of Discovery, whenever Burnham has choked up it seemed warranted, but granted I've watched like probably 25 minutes of it out of 3 seasons and counting now, so I have no real metric for how often she breaks down and over what.

It is a lot, OP. The music swells to an emotional climax every third scene, it is legitimately hilarious

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Discovery has a real thing about point out she is crying too, it is like "okay got it... why is this lingering on this shot?"

It has more of an obsession with section 31 which I could give a gently caress less about :stare:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vasukhani posted:

if I dont blow my brains out

You ok there?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've been a defender of Generations for a long time while acknowledging its flaws, but the most recent time I watched it, after a full watch of TNG and during DS9, it was really rough. What was more surprising was that First Contact didn't hold up too great either, possibly worse. It's kind of just an okay '90s action movie and nothing more. When I was a kid and basically not allowed to watch other action movies it seemed like the coolest thing ever, but now there's just not much special about it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I've always thought Insurrection was the best TNG movie. It's not *good* and something something space bazooka, but at least it's TNG.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

It’s almost every episode

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

raverrn posted:

I've always thought Insurrection was the best TNG movie. It's not *good* and something something space bazooka, but at least it's TNG.

It's a bad two parter, but a bad two parter is way better than the other TNG films. And then after that the only other Trek film that felt like Trek was Beyond which no one saw because Into Darkness was a trainwreck and somehow worse than the bad TNG films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I watched Generations and mostly enjoyed it.

1. Any scene with Kirk was great. Was he always that good?

2. The Ship scene for Worf was hilarious.

3. I really love the chemistry the TNG cast has. Troi and Riker making clear they were there for Picard if he needed them was excellent.

4. I HATE THIS. THIS IS REVOLTING. MORE PLEASE