Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Evil Mastermind posted:

And Tara's acting like it's no big deal! And talking like Bernice is her friend and not the person who got her kicked out of college for stealing a TV or whatever the gently caress it was!

Clearly Tara just wants to get the conversation over with so she can leave town faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Pastry of the Year posted:

Missed a couple of days.

Arlo and Janis

Classics should return tomorrow.
I'm into this "nobody actually wants (great) grandma's fine china" arc.

I'm lucky that my mom has long since gotten rid of all the crystalware and fine china nobody has used in decades, but from what I've read most of it ends up either a)in a landfill, b)at a thrift shop(which may or may not dump it in a landfill because nobody wants this stuff) or c)used as everyday dishes until they break(and then they go into a landfill).

nishi koichi posted:

you really have to wonder what the writers think human relationships are actually like
This also applies to 9CL, OBH, Dustin, Holbrook...

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

~Coxy posted:

If it was "Rhythm and Melody", then you and your friend might actually Mick Jones and Peter Sellers?

you made me think about it again and now my brain added to the memory, the a-side was actually "beats and tunes" and the b-side was "songs and rhythms"

enjoy trying to puzzle out what's going on with that welcome mat/floor situation

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sweeperbravo posted:

enjoy trying to puzzle out what's going on with that welcome mat/floor situation

I have no idea what is going on in that strip at all

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I think it's the top three panels from here.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drakyn posted:

I think it's the top three panels from here.

that was no help at all and goddamn you for making me read an achewood comic

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

uncommonly good art for Overboard

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The Bloop posted:

that was no help at all and goddamn you for making me read an achewood comic
I don't know what to tell you, it just looks like One Big Happy guy took time out from complaining about drat kids with piercings and tattoos and said

'i wanna do an achewood today.'

Hwurmp posted:

uncommonly good art for Overboard
The rats aren't even flying tiny planes and shooting giant covids. Agreed.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Plot Summary

A visitor at a house's front door asks a child inside the house whether the child's grandmother is home. The child says that she will check and closes the door. Instead of actually checking, the child - now out of sight of the visitor - rages angrily. In the final panel the child opens the door again and calmly informs the visitor that their grandmother is home, and, as a punchline, that the visitor addressed the child by the wrong name. This mistake was presumably the reason for the child's anger.

Mistakes

Panels two and three show a welcome mat on the floor inside the house, but it is absent in the final panel.
Incorrectly regarded as a mistake: The colorist couldn't be bothered to read the strip and figure out which side of the door was which. In fact, the colorist's decision was correct.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jan. 09, 1944)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NRVNQSR posted:

Plot Summary

A visitor at a house's front door asks a child inside the house whether the child's grandmother is home. The child says that she will check and closes the door. Instead of actually checking, the child - now out of sight of the visitor - rages angrily. In the final panel the child opens the door again and calmly informs the visitor that their grandmother is home, and, as a punchline, that the visitor addressed the child by the wrong name. This mistake was presumably the reason for the child's anger.

Mistakes

Panels two and three show a welcome mat on the floor inside the house, but it is absent in the final panel.
Incorrectly regarded as a mistake: The colorist couldn't be bothered to read the strip and figure out which side of the door was which. In fact, the colorist's decision was correct.
Thank you

Also lol that they don't have a welcome mat outside but instead a "please leave" mat inside

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

NRVNQSR posted:

Plot Summary

Mistakes

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand that the art was ineptly trying to depict Ruthie having her little rage-fit inside.

The Bloop posted:

goddamn you for making me read an achewood comic

:mad:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

ukonvasara posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't understand that the art was ineptly trying to depict Ruthie having her little rage-fit inside.

imagine her stepping outside, closing the door, standing a foot away from the woman and ragefully shivering and making GBS threads her pants, and then going back inside, all while the woman stands there horrified

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Haifisch posted:

I'm into this "nobody actually wants (great) grandma's fine china" arc.

I'm lucky that my mom has long since gotten rid of all the crystalware and fine china nobody has used in decades, but from what I've read most of it ends up either a)in a landfill, b)at a thrift shop(which may or may not dump it in a landfill because nobody wants this stuff) or c)used as everyday dishes until they break(and then they go into a landfill).

It's pretty awesome. I got a full set of antique fine china for daily use for less than a good dinner set at Macy's would cost at an antique store. And if they break, there's plenty more where that came from.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 09, 1944)

Prince Valiant: Clueless Wingman is my favorite running subplot in the series. I can't tell if it's improved or made worse by the fact that we know Prince Valiant can't ever hook up with any of these random women since sooner or later he finds Aleta again.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Huh, looks like we lost the five star rating. I'd like to think it's because the lurkers are angry about all the unprovoked attacks on grandma's fine china.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (March 19, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (April 26, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 13, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 8, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 7, 1935)

Dark Laughter (February 19, 1942)

Mopsy Sunday (November 2, 1947)

Those Were the Days (November 29, 1951)

Wee Pals (May 29, 1965)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is so close and yet so far.

Working Daze is a long way to go for a lazy reference.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix forgot to turn off the camera.

Cul De Sac would have been awkward a few weeks ago.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

And Tara's acting like it's no big deal! And talking like Bernice is her friend and not the person who got her kicked out of college for stealing a TV or whatever the gently caress it was!

Bernice did not do that thing. She certainly would have, had she known it was Tara, but she did not. She thought it was the dude she was in love with at the time, Piro, so she ratted him out instead.

(Tara did accuse Bernice of getting her kicked out of college not long ago, but it's unclear whether Tara has an inaccurate view of what actually happened, or if the Evanses just forgot that campus police caught Tara without Bernice's help.)

I agree that Tara got chummy with Bernice's rude rear end awfully quickly.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (November 29, 1951)

First time I agree with one of these things. Smoking's gross, y'all!

Tara's inviting the mysterious murderer to join her in a dance routine, apparently.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (August 8-9, 1933)

Peanuts (March 4-5, 1974)

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Seriously, move the hell on.

Not to be outdone by the new outbreak of Lisa's Story, it looks like Crankshaft just killed off an extra.

Oh gently caress You, Part 2

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 30 - October 1, 1937)

Out Our Way (March 12-14, 1936)

We're a little late, so g'nite, folks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Haha. It's funny because all the schools are opening back up and hardly anyone's even trying to stop it!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

what the gently caress

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The way McEldowney keeps involving the toddler twins (who he writes as being able to comprehend things like adults already) in all these sexually-charged situations feels like something you should call CPS for. Between this and how he keeps going back to his favorite topic of Edda's sexuality as a child, I can't help but think the worst of McEldowney.

9CL isn't even an entertaining hate-read. It's just really gross and uncomfortable.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
brooke mceldowney is a deeply ill man

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

OH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

What the gently caress. "got the reference!" *shared smug smile* he literally said the name of the thing you loving old

Sorry, I may be getting too upset at cancercomic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

amigolupus posted:

The way McEldowney keeps involving the toddler twins (who he writes as being able to comprehend things like adults already) in all these sexually-charged situations feels like something you should call CPS for. Between this and how he keeps going back to his favorite topic of Edda's sexuality as a child, I can't help but think the worst of McEldowney.

9CL isn't even an entertaining hate-read. It's just really gross and uncomfortable.
Yeah, as high of a bar as we have for kicking comics out of the thread, I feel like 9CL is at a point where it meets it. I can't think of any non-disgusting rationalization for this latest strip.

2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Burn, baby, burn, spider inferno.

Locher Tracy

I know the Tracyverse is set in Chicago with the serial numbers filed off, which makes it lowkey funny to me that they're setting the 'oh no a blizzard' arc in mid-March. Sure, snow can happen in March, but blizzards are more of an actual winter months thing.

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What's going on with the first panel here? Or rather: clearly it's drawn by somebody else (Detorie?), but did they think it wasn't obvious?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Yeah, as high of a bar as we have for kicking comics out of the thread, I feel like 9CL is at a point where it meets it. I can't think of any non-disgusting rationalization for this latest strip.

I'm inclined to agree and will happily make a note of it in the OP. But I should note for the sake of historical purposes, Dilbert, the last comic to warrant this discussion, wasn't originally banned. Manny just got sick of posting it. How Wonderful later enforced this personal decision as a ban when someone else tried to post Dilbert, by which point nobody wanted it back. Which is to say that it's really up to EasyEW whether to "ban" the comic or not, with my opinion being that he probably should.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 3, 2021

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My Lovely Horse posted:

What's going on with the first panel here? Or rather: clearly it's drawn by somebody else (Detorie?), but did they think it wasn't obvious?

The way the lines in the first panel look a bit rougher than the rest makes me think Batiuk reused an old panel and just took note of who sat in which seat when he drew the second panel.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like that Horse, that's a cute one today.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think I've idly mused before what it must have been like to grow up in the Johnston household, knowing that if you have any sort of conflict with Mom she'll draw and publish it in the newspaper for a week, as likely as not making herself out to be the winner and you to be an unreasonable, spoiled1 child. This is another week where I think about that.

1not to mention stinky

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (December 6-10, 1999)

Automatically enforced centrism :toot:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

By computers too no less! And for once, a political statement I'm not going to knock Holbrook for, since people genuinely believed it right up until 11/9.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Sunday (November 2, 1947)

This is a Sunday Mopsy that feels like something the weekday Mopsy would have done.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Brenda Starr 12/31/45-1/2/46

Smokey Stover 9/24/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (January 13, 1990)

Dingo is a Finnish pop-rock band popular in the mid-eighties, headed by Pertti "Neumann" Nieminen. Combining New Romantic movement with more traditional Finnish rock, it is one of the best-selling Finnish bands of all time and it's popularity in the eighties has sometimes been compared to Beatlemania and Elvis.

The Pertti Nieminen (1929-2015) in question, however, was a poet and a teacher most notable for his translations, particularly Chinese works including Tao Te Ching and Mao's poetry. The book Atte is reading is Nieminen's own work, Silmissä maailman maisemat.