Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's all very easy to blame others for your own misfortunes, but why not look at yourself first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I find d&d 5e to be bland and inoffensive, i don't think it's too much of a disaster, i just wish it hadn't eaten up most of the streaming boom

But then i'm kind of a traveller grog

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Panzeh posted:

I find d&d 5e to be bland and inoffensive, i don't think it's too much of a disaster, i just wish it hadn't eaten up most of the streaming boom

But then i'm kind of a traveller grog

With the lasting popularity of shows like Firefly, you'd think someone would have pulled off a Traveller stream successfully by now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Plutonis posted:

It's all very easy to blame others for your own misfortunes, but why not look at yourself first?
Ok boomer.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I loathe the “D&D causes brain damage” thing because it’s ableist and facile, but it is true that only playing certain kinds of games exclusively can lead people to have some very weird and unhelpful expectations.
So, the thing that Ron Edwards actually said is that Vampire: The Masquerade damages people's ability to do actual storytelling which in his mind was literally "brain damage." The Forge community promptly called him out for saying something so lovely, which did not deter the haters from acting like Brain Damage was a core tenet of the Forge. He was always pretty pro-D&D, though he preferred old-school D&D (and sword and sorcery stuff in general), and a few years ago he did a series of videos with the theory that D&D fandom is like a religion in a lot of ways.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Panzeh posted:

I think D&D is pretty bad, but who cares abut that. I don't have to like every game, and I know plenty of games I don't like that are made by good people.

My problems with WotC come down to 2 things:

1. Mearls, Zak S, etc.

2. They keep doing this cynical cycle where they "hire" (give temporary contracts to, not permanently employ) marginalized designers, make a big deal about it, then treat them like crap and stay quiet when the designers leave in disgust. They count on the fact that they will get more good press for the hiring than bad press for the inevitable parting of ways. Like, I've been quiet about this on Twitter because I don't want to poo poo on anyone's parade, but it baffles me how anyone could look at the press about their upcoming Ravenloft book and take WotC's claims seriously after we saw the same discourse when Orion Black was hired and we know how that turned out.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 1, 2021

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Splicer posted:

TSR era D&D is a very different beast to 3.x+ D&D. Paizo became The Other D&D by piggybacking on WotC's work and grog outrage, with changing as little as physically possible being considered a good thing. That's a very different situation to trying to steal market share from D&D (and now Pathfinder) with "The game everybody knows, but good".

On the one hand I agree and also with theironjef that the modern pressures are different, on the other hand even TSR D&D supplied a Monster Manual and Keep on the Borderlands, etc, which are usually the kind of thing significantly missing from newer games which significantly increase the inertia involved.

quote:

e: Which is why I really wish the not poop version of SotDL would come out so it wouldn't be "Do you want to play D&D but good? OK first off, please ignore all the poop jokes no wait come back"

Ditto.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tsilkani posted:

It's like one of those kitchen claw monotools that's only good for shredding pulled pork and nothing else, but it's a terrible shredder and doesn't really work.

We haven't tortured this metaphor nearly enough, so:

It's a kitchen claw monotool for shredding pulled pork that doesn't work for shredding pulled pork, and also the people using it insist on using it for literally everything, and every time you suggest that perhaps a whisk would be a better tool to whip cream, the pulled pork claw monotool people scream at you that the pulled pork claw monotool works just fine for them and the majority of people who cook and that by pointing out whisks exist you are alienating everyone from cooking, and those same people refuse to buy pots or pans or plates or cutlery because they insist the pulled pork claw monotool is just as good as any of those if they just do this One Weird Trick they figured out.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 2, 2021

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Honestly, the big thing holding D&D back, from a purely design-focused standpoint, is that there are at least a half dozen different opinions amongst the fandom as to what D&D "should" be: A dungeon crawl simulator that focuses heavily on resource management? A Colossal Cave Adventure-style puzzle game except with a human responding to your prompts? A medieval fantasy world simulator? A tactical, grid-based fantasy combat game? A tabletop wargame where you control individual units? A free-flowing RP system where you hardly ever touch the dice?

The fact that D&D is to RPGs what Kleenex is to tissues means that all of these things are essential D&D qualities to someone based on when they got into the game and how fast and loose their group played with the rules, and a new edition of the game can definitely excel at some of these things, but it can't excel at all of them. WotC has been clear that they're trying to manage the D&D property as safely as humanly possible, which leads us with a game that tries to be everything to everyone but ends up not being particularly good at any one thing it's trying to do.

I think there's potential for an actually decent system amongst the mechanics of 5e, but it would need to be redesigned with a central focus on what it wants to achieve in order to realize that.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
They tried that though, and it was called 4th Edition. And then people got upset that it was "Just like World of Warcraft" and so we bounced back from a game focused on tactical combat and some semblance of balance to... 5th Edition.

But I suppose the thing is that, D&D being a big ol' stew of a little bit of everything is one reason it's so popular.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just ordered a stack of Pokemon singles for my kids on tcgplayer and they sent me someone else's order

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arthil posted:

They tried that though, and it was called 4th Edition. And then people got upset that it was "Just like World of Warcraft" and so we bounced back from a game focused on tactical combat and some semblance of balance to... 5th Edition.

But I suppose the thing is that, D&D being a big ol' stew of a little bit of everything is one reason it's so popular.
A stew would be fine but it's that hosed up shepherd's pie trifle from friends

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Plutonis posted:

It doesn't help with the impression outsiders have of this forum as being full of spiteful indie designers who hate the biggest market share owner.

To be fair, this is a lot of the indie dev community :getin:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Splicer posted:

TSR era D&D is a very different beast to 3.x+ D&D. Paizo became The Other D&D by piggybacking on WotC's work and grog outrage, with changing as little as physically possible being considered a good thing. That's a very different situation to trying to steal market share from D&D (and now Pathfinder) with "The game everybody knows, but good".

e: Which is why I really wish the not poop version of SotDL would come out so it wouldn't be "Do you want to play D&D but good? OK first off, please ignore all the poop jokes no wait come back"

I'm still kinda mad about The Forest Hymn & Picnic getting derailed so badly, it seemed like it was going to be such a wonderful game too

KingKalamari posted:

Honestly, the big thing holding D&D back, from a purely design-focused standpoint, is that there are at least a half dozen different opinions amongst the fandom as to what D&D "should" be: A dungeon crawl simulator that focuses heavily on resource management? A Colossal Cave Adventure-style puzzle game except with a human responding to your prompts? A medieval fantasy world simulator? A tactical, grid-based fantasy combat game? A tabletop wargame where you control individual units? A free-flowing RP system where you hardly ever touch the dice?

The fact that D&D is to RPGs what Kleenex is to tissues means that all of these things are essential D&D qualities to someone based on when they got into the game and how fast and loose their group played with the rules, and a new edition of the game can definitely excel at some of these things, but it can't excel at all of them. WotC has been clear that they're trying to manage the D&D property as safely as humanly possible, which leads us with a game that tries to be everything to everyone but ends up not being particularly good at any one thing it's trying to do.

I think there's potential for an actually decent system amongst the mechanics of 5e, but it would need to be redesigned with a central focus on what it wants to achieve in order to realize that.

I'd say the highlighted ones are the facets of D&D that have tended to come out the best in the official editions of the game, the first in most of TSR's editions, the latter in 4e, the others don't really work out too well because it's harder to have the rules reflect the intentions of those ones

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Plutonis posted:

It's hard to see where yourself would be if something else is continually stood on top of you.

That is something that I find somewhat interesting is how much the "stew" approach in DnD works. Being some things to most people is more helpful than saying "this is the only way in which the rules can be used". For instance you couldn't use Pendragon to play any game other than "Arthurian knights are huge drama nerds who go mad because a maiden turned them down".

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 2, 2021

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

My copy of Glitch arrived today. I've not read any pdfs of it yet, cos i hate reading long books on my pc. So i'm excited to read my very expensive book i will probably never play

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

My copy of Glitch arrived today. I've not read any pdfs of it yet, cos i hate reading long books on my pc. So i'm excited to read my very expensive book i will probably never play

Tho "run or play one of my Jenna Moran games" is one of my post-covid resolutions.

Do other people have post-covid resolutions?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ettin posted:

To be fair, this is a lot of the indie dev community :getin:

Honestly the anglosphere tabletop industry is not that bad to work since other than a few translations on kickstarter you don't have to compete with other countries so much. A true globalization would have some starving third world designers I have in my circle write a sourcebook every month in exchange of just the living expanses that in the first world would be for a pet chihuahua or a guinea pig.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

drrockso20 posted:

I'm still kinda mad about The Forest Hymn & Picnic getting derailed so badly, it seemed like it was going to be such a wonderful game too

uh-oh, what happened to it? It kind of fell off my radar.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

drrockso20 posted:

Spill the tea, goon

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Leraika posted:

uh-oh, what happened to it? It kind of fell off my radar.
Seems like he had some bad personal stuff hit over the summer, and then decided to redesign the whole game, and now there's been no updates since August.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

dwarf74 posted:

Seems like he had some bad personal stuff hit over the summer, and then decided to redesign the whole game, and now there's been no updates since August.

oh no

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I mean it's not Project: Dark or Far West or even Spellbound Kingdoms: Arcana, but it's over a year late without any sign of recent progress.

It's fine, I hope I get it sometime because "Frog and Toad Together, But With SotDL Rules" still sounds awesome.

I think I will probably end up receiving Katanas and Trenchcoats before it at this rate. (Which is extremely late, but actually more active somehow).

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Industry thread got me to dig out my Dogs in the Vineyard copy and my pile of notes for the one shot I planned on running back in like... 2015. Read back through parts of it and through my notes. GM itch arrived even though I'm not in much place to be GMing right now.
help

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My four year old kid loves my 5th Edition Monster Manual. He's memorized it.

I'd like other good monster manuals, because I'd like him to not grow too fond of D&D.

What are some awesome books of monsters that are encyclopedic both in their coverage and in their descriptions. Should be kid appropriate for sex and violence and spookiness (as appropriate as the 5th Edition Monster Manual is, because that ship sailed). Needs beautiful color pictures, obviously. Should be in print.

Any genre. Get at me.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

CitizenKeen posted:

I'd like other good monster manuals, because I'd like him to not grow too fond of D&D.

What are some awesome books of monsters that are encyclopedic both in their coverage and in their descriptions. Should be kid appropriate for sex and violence and spookiness (as appropriate as the 5th Edition Monster Manual is, because that ship sailed). Needs beautiful color pictures, obviously. Should be in print.

Any genre. Get at me.
The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Other monster manuals with color art that are good for browsing and fluff reading:

- The recently-released RuneQuest Bestiary
- The various Planescape Monstrous Compendiums (D&D, but DiTerlizzi art)
- The Bestiary for Dragonlance Fifth Age (all Rebecca Guay art, 98% narrative fluff [DL5A was a rules-light narrative game])
- Not appropriate for a four year old, but Chaosium just published the big color two volume hardcover bestiary for Call of Cthulhu 7E
- Also for CoC is the Petersen's Guide To The Cthulhu Mythos
- DiTerlizzi has a big illustrated non-RPG book about Faeries

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CitizenKeen posted:

Any genre. Get at me.

Henry H Tryon's Fearsome Critters might be up your alley, though not techically a monster manual so much as a bestiary of the weird fictional monsters turn of the century lumberjacks would make up as jokes. Kid might appreciate the goofy Dr Seuss names at least. Sadly the illustrations are largely black and white sketches.

e: Wow the physical version of this is rare. Maybe Fearsome Critters of the Lumberwood?

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 2, 2021

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

What are some awesome books of monsters that are encyclopedic both in their coverage and in their descriptions.

Monster Girl Encyclop-

quote:

Should be kid appropriate for sex and violence

Nevermind.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
13th Age has two excellent bestiaries; I think they're unobjectionable as far as content goes.
Warhammer Fantasy 2e has a famous bestiary but I can't remember how PG-13 the content gets. It might not be kid-appropriate, although it isn't super-gritty.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Tho "run or play one of my Jenna Moran games" is one of my post-covid resolutions.

She has her own Discord now, if you're looking for a place that has a lot of people who want to join a game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

Any genre. Get at me.

The baby bestiaries that came out awhile back would be appropriate/fun/cute.

Maybe Volo's Guide to Monsters?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

CitizenKeen posted:

Any genre. Get at me.

I read the Palladium Gods and Dragons books when I was 8 and I don't remember anything too bad outside of thinking some of the gods could put on some more clothes.

On second thought, I don't think it fits your requirements because A: It's black and white art and B: If you don't want him growing fond of D&D you probably don't want him even getting a whiff of RIFTS :v:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

CitizenKeen posted:

Any genre. Get at me.

Dougal Dixon's speculative biology books After Man and The New Dinosaurs would be good ones(probably best to wait till he's a fair amount older to show him stuff like Man After Man or Nemo Ramjet's All Tomorrows though)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

CitizenKeen posted:

Any genre. Get at me.

https://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Beasts-Where-Find-Them/dp/1338216791

My 7 year old has this and loves it. Harry Potter flavored. The illustrations are beautiful. If he's reading, expect a whole day of breathlessly spouting monster and dragon trivia at you. :3:

edit for more:
https://www.amazon.com/Griffiths-Guide-Dragon-Masters-Branches/dp/1338540343/
This one is a companion book to a series of early-reader chapter books. It covers characters, locations, and dragons featured in the books. My boys love the series, and love this book too. Again, I've learned a lot of second-hand lore from the Dragon Master series this way :)

Since we're talking good illustrated books for kids, here's another couple recommendations.

This version of The Hobbit has frequent and adorable illustrations. I read it to my then-4 and then-6 year old kids and they loved it. Every page (I think? maybe nearly every page) has an illustration, so it's easy to keep their attention as you read. Since then they've been obsessed with Lord of the Rings, especially after playing the excellent Lego Lord of the Rings game.
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Illustrated-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0544174224

They also looooove Legend of Zelda, and love this Link to the Past comic collection.
https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Link-Past/dp/1421575418/

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 3, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

canyoneer posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Beasts-Where-Find-Them/dp/1338216791

My 7 year old has this and loves it. The illustrations are beautiful.

or you could not give arguably the transphobe with the biggest platform in the world any money, so don't do that and don't buy it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Arivia posted:

or you could not give arguably the transphobe with the biggest platform in the world any money, so don't do that and don't buy it

oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Skip it or get it from the library instead

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

CitizenKeen posted:

Any genre. Get at me.

I have a copy of Dungeons and Drawings, which my six-year-old loves to read through. It's not as D&D-focused as you'd think, and the illustrations are gorgeous. I think it might be a bit grown-up or gruesome in places, but I haven't read the 5e MM so I don't know.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh, it's still WotC but they've produced like pop up art books for kids like Dungeonology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

If you don't mind a lot of worldbuilding for a game you might not have played (FFXIV), the Encylopedia Eorzea has a lot of fun monster designs and lore. Volume 2 has a lot about dragons.