Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://twitter.com/nick_kapur/status/1366432756016807946

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

As a die hard history nerd, I would actually buy a set of historical Lego sets. A 1914 Sarajevo set with Garvilo Princip and Franz Ferdinand's motorcade would be :discourse:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

What about a November 22, 1963 set?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Randalor posted:

Careful what you ask for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In3vPyyLbI0

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Randalor posted:

I doubt they'd get the falling roof tiles in Hull historically accurate.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Railing Kill posted:

As a die hard history nerd, I would actually buy a set of historical Lego sets. A 1914 Sarajevo set with Garvilo Princip and Franz Ferdinand's motorcade would be :discourse:

I'd pay good money for the First and Second Defenestrations of Prague.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The Mussolini special edition Esso gas station, with the assembly instructions printed upside-down.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Groke posted:

I'd pay good money for the First and Second Defenestrations of Prague.

I never knew there were two of them. :allears:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Dareon posted:

Once you pop, you can't stop.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Shouldn't his hair be hanging off the back of the car?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Marcade posted:

Shouldn't his hair be hanging off the back of the car?

The "after" picture is an alternate build

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Dareon posted:

Several more, by some counts. Up to and including the 1948 "suicide" of Jan Masaryk, of whom it was later said that he was such a tidy man, he closed the window after himself.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Trabant posted:

The Mussolini special edition Esso gas station, with the assembly instructions printed upside-down.

You just have to hang it somewhere, those pieces can be fiddly and you need both hands free.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Kennel posted:

Once you pop, you can't stop.

Until you hit.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of assassinations here's a review of the famous Black Widow assassinates Hitler one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ENY3GMFOmo

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Stolen eBay accounts selling Genuine authority Microsoft sa ftware Office 2010.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZiMaEAZHLo

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
found on crappydesigns on reddit:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Phy posted:

Normal capybara.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Phy posted:

found on crappydesign on reddit:

There's some fun stuff there. Like this logo

El Taco Loco

And this tee shirt

Edit
No, wait! Forget all that! I want a Swtich Gamecube!

Kheldarn has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Mar 4, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phy posted:

Which monster from undertale is that?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

Edit

Why yes, my favorite part of the Switch is its backwards compatibility with the 3DS. Wait...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Kheldarn posted:

I was curious and had to track down what even was going on there. That little silver hub thing is the actual product for sale, which is just a USB-C to HDMI/USB-A adapter. No clue what's going on with the four copy-and-pasted controllers, or why whatever that huge thing they're coming out of seems to use two USB-A and one USB-C connectors.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Multiport-Adapter-Nintendo-Portable/dp/B07JK9DFKH?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Randalor posted:

Why yes, my favorite part of the Switch is its backwards compatibility with the 3DS. Wait...

That's not even a picture of a Switch

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

https://www.teepublic.com/user/mcdreadful

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

Joe Biden is the second Catholic POTUS and the first Fremen one.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dareon posted:

Don't forget the lesser known Third Defenestration of 2007, where the window was on the ground floor

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
There were three defenestrations of prague, I think it was the third (called the second???) where those defenestrated survived. This was alternately attributed to angels or falling into a dung pile.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

According to the thread it isn't a bootleg/knockoff and lego isn't even that unique.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/FakeEyes22/status/1368405588686815234

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Fools Infinite posted:

This was alternately attributed to angels or falling into a dung pile.

Well who do you think put the dung there?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Alhazred posted:

According to the thread it isn't a bootleg/knockoff and lego isn't even that unique.

:denmark: time!

Plastic building blocks since the mid-1940s have largely been a game of “good artists copy, great artists steal.” While Lego “acquired” the original design for their bricks from Kiddicraft, they did soon introduce and patent the internal tubing structures that provide so-called “clutch,” or the friction that allows the bricks to hold together independently (the original design was largely hollow, and as a result stayed together mostly due to gravity and what little friction the edges of the bricks alone could provide).

While Lego’s patent on bricks has since expired, minifigures still enjoy a great amount of legal protection - if you look closely at the assassination train set, you can see that the arms and legs differ from Lego’s design.

Where Lego historically excels, and what might edge some of these competitor products towards the spirit of this thread, is quality control. With Lego, missing or incorrect pieces are rare, friction between pieces is standardized, and high-quality plastics are used to ensure consistency of part shape, color, and strength. Sets are also designed to minimize tension between pieces and to stand up to a decent amount of movement and play.

However, competitors are getting better in this regard all the time (Mega, for example), and some argue that Lego’s been slipping. In general, Lego enthusiasts are more receptive now than they’ve ever been to using competitor parts.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Now I know what to look for when I can go to the Artbox at the train station again!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Blue Moonlight posted:

:denmark: time!

Plastic building blocks since the mid-1940s have largely been a game of “good artists copy, great artists steal.” While Lego “acquired” the original design for their bricks from Kiddicraft, they did soon introduce and patent the internal tubing structures that provide so-called “clutch,” or the friction that allows the bricks to hold together independently (the original design was largely hollow, and as a result stayed together mostly due to gravity and what little friction the edges of the bricks alone could provide).

While Lego’s patent on bricks has since expired, minifigures still enjoy a great amount of legal protection - if you look closely at the assassination train set, you can see that the arms and legs differ from Lego’s design.

Where Lego historically excels, and what might edge some of these competitor products towards the spirit of this thread, is quality control. With Lego, missing or incorrect pieces are rare, friction between pieces is standardized, and high-quality plastics are used to ensure consistency of part shape, color, and strength. Sets are also designed to minimize tension between pieces and to stand up to a decent amount of movement and play.

However, competitors are getting better in this regard all the time (Mega, for example), and some argue that Lego’s been slipping. In general, Lego enthusiasts are more receptive now than they’ve ever been to using competitor parts.

Being a competitor doesn't mean that you're making knockoffs though. Pepsi isn't a bootleg of Coka Cola for example.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Like gently caress it isn't

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

There were three defenestrations of prague, I think it was the third (called the second???) where those defenestrated survived. This was alternately attributed to angels or falling into a dung pile.

As already mentioned, more than three, even. Obviously most of them were substandard knockoffs, after the Defenestration of Prague had become a thing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Being a competitor doesn't mean that you're making knockoffs though. Pepsi isn't a bootleg of Coka Cola for example.

True. A bootleg is sometimes good.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Alhazred posted:

On the other hand, about 90% of the people I know offline would consider RC and Shasta cola a "knockoff" of those. The difference is almost entirely marketing and if you can make the public believe you are "bigger" than the competitors.

"Bootleg", of course, has a connotation that you are intentionally violating copyright which none of these are.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The company that put out that train set also makes Kre-o who put out stuff with the Transformers and G.I. Joe brands. I bought this Optimus Prime a couple of years ago and the quality of the bricks felt fine. They absolutely are knock off Lego to the point where they are completely compatible but that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Don't gently caress with Donnie. He uses Samurais for weapons! :black101: