Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Violet_Sky posted:

My favourite argument for why Ghostbusters 2016 was bad was that men are more biologically suited for ghostbusting.

Oh was that the one that said men were better because it was about a small business and men are more naturally suited to operating a small business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I wonder what that nazi skull guy is up to. He got so close to efame but lost it all in a feud with his tub friend.

Bitcoin and streaming on Twitch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Violet_Sky posted:

My favourite argument for why Ghostbusters 2016 was bad was that men are more biologically suited for ghostbusting.

i think the saddest thing is that movie could have been good. the monster designs are cool and based off weird real poo poo like old maceys parade balloons and all the actresses are funny in other stuff. its just the director is loving moron who though ad libbing is the highest art and the writers spent more time spending money to pay for jokes than writing good jokes. its sad.

on the AVGN thing. he did nothing wrong with that, and i will never trust online Woke white dude who get overly enthusiastically mad about poo poo like that because half the time they end up like farci or weadon and i always consider fuckers like them a minor minor reason of why trump won. also i am a white progresive cis dude, so lol booboo the fool is me.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 4, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

James has never really given off any kind of nastiness I can remember either, I can't remember what it was over, I think it was before the ghosbos situation, but people were asking him about his politics or something and he said something along the lines that he didn't really get into it, but that he votes straight ticket democrat (And yeah yeah, but most people still aren't really informed on anything past D/R so eh) and often that's his extent of it all. His tune's never changed, he just personally comes off like a mild guy that really enjoys movies and being a dad.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That ghostbusters reboot really did suck rear end

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Did anybody other than Leslie Jones’ character act scared of the ghosts or were they too busy doing shtick about only having one wonton?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
It's crazy to me how the guy who says "rear end" and "poo poo" every other word and gets into fistfights with Bugs Bunny ended up being the most wholesome out of all the "angry reviewer person" types.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It's crazy to me how the guy who says "rear end" and "poo poo" every other word and gets into fistfights with Bugs Bunny ended up being the most wholesome out of all the "angry reviewer person" types.

Behind the poopy diarrhea dumps always beat a heart of gold.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Unpopular opinion, but I never liked James's old reviews. The grossout humour doesn't appeal to me.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah I bounced off of him fairly quickly, I wasn't exactly grossed out but to me it was obvious he was stretching to fight the swears and scat references in a way that was forced. Really enjoyed his film videos though, but you could only watch them on his site using the blip before blip video player.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
New Frame Plus - The Animation of Sonic Games

https://youtu.be/GxCcHOvSVJQ

It's a long one.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Nuns with Guns posted:

People talk about it less because DS3 and Bloodborne are substantially better about polishing what they were able to finish, but both of those games do end up with the same problem as 2 with endgame stuff often getting reduced to linear corridors.

This is true about the first Dark Souls as well; the level design as a whole takes a hit post Anor London, with some areas being straight up unfinished. Who could forget Lost Izalith, city of lava and undead dragon arses?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vagabong posted:

This is true about the first Dark Souls as well; the level design as a whole takes a hit post Anor London, with some areas being straight up unfinished. Who could forget Lost Izalith, city of lava and undead dragon arses?

those areas were cool

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Violet_Sky posted:

Unpopular opinion, but I never liked James's old reviews. The grossout humour doesn't appeal to me.

I'll take 30 seconds of James dropping a steamer on a lovely game and throwing it in the microwave than 10 minutes of Nostalgia Critic or whoever doing some unfunny sketch that goes on for too long and involves "lore."

ROB the Robot demanding gyros and instead getting an actual gyro sandwich will always be a 10/10 joke.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

They were fun when I was 13-14

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The REAL Goobusters posted:

those areas were cool

Lost Izalith is cool to look at the first ten seconds or so after you get there, but from then on navigating it sucks massive rear end and you quickly realize you need to be rubbing up against a sea of lava trying to blind you with bloom effects. And you're probably gonna have to do it multiple times because the area boss is a lovely movement puzzle that likes to drop you into insta-death pits.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
lost izalith? yeah. it should've stayed lost! this area's so bad, i'd rather let a camel with dysentery take a diarrhea dump on my face and then down it with baboon spit than play another minute of this lovely piece of rear end. hey, speaking of rear end, what's up with those dragon butts? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sydin posted:

Lost Izalith is cool to look at the first ten seconds or so after you get there, but from then on navigating it sucks massive rear end and you quickly realize you need to be rubbing up against a sea of lava trying to blind you with bloom effects. And you're probably gonna have to do it multiple times because the area boss is a lovely movement puzzle that likes to drop you into insta-death pits.

Sounds cool to me actually

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bonaventure posted:

lost izalith? yeah. it should've stayed lost! this area's so bad, i'd rather let a camel with dysentery take a diarrhea dump on my face and then down it with baboon spit than play another minute of this lovely piece of rear end. hey, speaking of rear end, what's up with those dragon butts? WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-LfKbCR0MI&hd=1

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

We need a boss that requires death drop jumps in a game extremely not designed for well controlled jumping.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Was weird finding out the Irate Gamer pivoted to a toy review channel where he played a Minecraft character.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Irate Gamer is a weird hack that's tried to shift to other things a couple times, he's also like a ~for real~ paranormal ghost hunter or whatever person.

Also lol: "Chris Bores' author autobiography states that he went to Ashland University and earned a major in "Film and Broadcasting" /// such major has never existed"

"Chris Bores has stated that he did not know the AVGN and he was not an inspiration on his career /// Chris Bores has put AVGN on a very long list of things that inspired Chris"

"Chris Bores has stated that his Character's name is Chris Bores /// Chris Bores has threatened to sue Editor Mr.KillUltraTM for slandering the character because Chris Bores is not a character and thus his fictional work is non-fiction (please try not to hurt yourself over that bit of logic)."

"In 2010, Chris Bores announced that he would be giving away a PS3 via contest. The contest would involve signing up for DealDash, a shady website that fails to include proper business practices /// Not only was there no winner in the contest but Chris Bores refused to mention the DealDash contest at all and is currently not caring about anyone who got scammed by DealDash contest."

"Chris Bores has announced that he has retired and is no longer producing anything relevant /// Chris then claims that new exciting episodes are coming and that he's not done yet trying to entertain people."

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 4, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Groovelord Neato posted:

Was weird finding out the Irate Gamer pivoted to a toy review channel where he played a Minecraft character.

Ghost Hunting doesn't pay the bills.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dabir posted:

I thought I remembered it that way too, but I was on my phone at the time and didn't remember it well enough to be confident.

I like the way a lot of the nostalgia baiting around Anri and Yuria is set up, and then you can go and derail it all by teaming up with your Firekeeper to and reenacting the Demon's Souls ending again after you give her eyes to see.

John Murdoch posted:

I can't help but wonder how much of 3's overall cynicism comes from From's actual feelings on the series. It's rare to see a franchise literally end with "look, it's DONE, there is absolutely nothing left, we're loving off to another world now".

I like the different but pretty interest ways DS2 and DS3 approach the nature of sequels, and I wouldn't call either of them particularly cynical, but I guess I see them as "Exactly what you'd expect for sequels of a game with 10 million hours of lore, fanlore, and fan theory videos on youtube to be."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

Irate Gamer is a weird hack that's tried to shift to other things a couple times, he's also like a ~for real~ paranormal ghost hunter or whatever person.

Also lol: "Chris Bores' author autobiography states that he went to Ashland University and earned a major in "Film and Broadcasting" /// such major has never existed"

"Chris Bores has stated that he did not know the AVGN and he was not an inspiration on his career /// Chris Bores has put AVGN on a very long list of things that inspired Chris"

"Chris Bores has stated that his Character's name is Chris Bores /// Chris Bores has threatened to sue Editor Mr.KillUltraTM for slandering the character because Chris Bores is not a character and thus his fictional work is non-fiction (please try not to hurt yourself over that bit of logic)."

"In 2010, Chris Bores announced that he would be giving away a PS3 via contest. The contest would involve signing up for DealDash, a shady website that fails to include proper business practices /// Not only was there no winner in the contest but Chris Bores refused to mention the DealDash contest at all and is currently not caring about anyone who got scammed by DealDash contest."

"Chris Bores has announced that he has retired and is no longer producing anything relevant /// Chris then claims that new exciting episodes are coming and that he's not done yet trying to entertain people."

Isn't he into that Berenstain Bears parallel universe stuff? Maybe he came into our universe from one where Ashland University offers that major. Hey, maybe in his home universe, there was no Angry Video Game Nerd.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m kind of surprised ghost hunting didn’t take off as a YouTube sub genre, or at least bigger than it was, considering how there was a point where it was all over cable shows.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

It’s not terribly surprising: he went in knowing the character was ridiculous, and his imitators watched it, took the wrong lessons from it, and made shouty rear end in a top hat videos.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

bobjr posted:

I’m kind of surprised ghost hunting didn’t take off as a YouTube sub genre, or at least bigger than it was, considering how there was a point where it was all over cable shows.

I mean how many different ways can you film yourself pretending to freak out at flickering lights or random debris.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

bobjr posted:

It was more of the latter, there was and still exists a kinda niche group on youtube of people specifically about visiting freaky story spots or doing the ritual spooky stories rituals and junk, but any time I ever tried watching them, it feels like most of them are dudebros that couldn't break into one of the other pop channel groups or something.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s not terribly surprising: he went in knowing the character was ridiculous, and his imitators watched it, took the wrong lessons from it, and made shouty rear end in a top hat videos.

Yeah that's another benefit James has always had, AVGN was always just an excuse for goofy slapstick, not something he was trying to turn himself truly into.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Yeah I think that's the key difference. James is self-aware and originally made the character as a joke for his friends, never expecting it to blow up like it did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobjr posted:

There was a YouTube ghost hunter channel that somehow messed up and uploaded a video which included footage of their run through where they talk about when to do the spooky stuff.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Enjoyed this video on an early Black comic artist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kRngYaEAvk

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhWh_FRxJOc

Old, but Pop Quiz Hotshot is a lot of Yikes :stare:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

muscles like this! posted:

There was a YouTube ghost hunter channel that somehow messed up and uploaded a video which included footage of their run through where they talk about when to do the spooky stuff.

That sounds a lot more fun than an actual ghost hunting show.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They talk about that in the RLM video about Ghost Adventures and it makes no sense you wouldn't watch your video before you uploaded especially if you're uploading hoaxes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think Ralph the Movie Maker also did a video on lovely ghost shows.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah that's another benefit James has always had, AVGN was always just an excuse for goofy slapstick, not something he was trying to turn himself truly into.

Doesn't James have a degree in film or something like that, too? So he knew what he was doing when he was filming even in his original tiny apartment.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

bobjr posted:

It did take off. Every big vlogger Paul brother type has a cluster of videos dedicated to ghost hunting. It was a huge thing for a period. People using ouji boards and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s a ton to criticize about Doug’s game show but having a theme episode where the people don’t seem to know much about the theme seems to be a bad idea.