Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

lol if you're not fashioning your own axes and knives out of flintstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEMHzWORCY

flint knapping was definitely a really cool skill our ancestors mastered

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Holy gently caress. Watched season 6. I really liked this one. Tons of adversity and while I thought Vancouver island and Mongolia might be fun to do, I would never do the arctic. Even I don’t have enough fat to survive there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

lol if you're not fashioning your own axes and knives out of flintstone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEMHzWORCY

flint knapping was definitely a really cool skill our ancestors mastered

gently caress yeah phil harding

my wife and I have nearly finished watching 20(!) seasons of Time Team and he and Tony Robbins are the stand-out stars of the show.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ante posted:

So on season 7, where they have a host talk to the contestants at the end of the show... Are we not going to talk about how he's clearly set his Zoom background to a generic workshop in order to seem more rugged?

That host is actually the guy who came in second on season 2 so obviously he really knows what he's talking about lmao

edit season 2 of survivor, i can't believe i forgot that

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 5, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It should be said that the “Artic” seasons take place at least four hundred kilometres or two hundred and fifty miles south of the Artic Circle.

It’s a harsh environment, but it ain’t the Arctic.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

It should be said that the “Artic” seasons take place at least four hundred kilometres or two hundred and fifty miles south of the Artic Circle.

It’s a harsh environment, but it ain’t the Arctic.

I get chilly if the wind blows at 60 degrees.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

PostNouveau posted:

I get chilly if the wind blows at 60 degrees.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Can y'all start a thread in TVIV for this show instead of talking about it in the Everest thread?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

vortmax posted:

Can y'all start a thread in TVIV for this show instead of talking about it in the Everest thread?

Go climb Everest in the off season so we have something to talk about.

Maybe you could be the first goon to do it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Yeah, it's normal for this thread to either go completely dead or go into various topics related to wilderness death/survival when there's no Everest news going on for months on end. :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did those people make it back from the winter K2 ascent?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Platystemon posted:

Go climb Everest in the off season so we have something to talk about.

Maybe you could be the first goon to do it.
I may be dumb enough to pay :10bux: to post on a dead gay comedy forum, but I'm not that dumb :smug:

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Caesar Saladin posted:

That host is actually the guy who came in second on season 2 so obviously he really knows what he's talking about lmao

Nah, Wikipedia says he was a Survivor contestant

And yeah, Seasons 6 and 7 are the best. I think the Canadian Shield environment is actually the best / easiest of the three. There's no constant damp infesting everything like the PNW, and food resources are relatively rich, unlike the Patagonia area. Which makes for better TV.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

vortmax posted:

The everest thread always turns into a thread talking about random activities that can kill people. It used to be caving, diving, cave diving, and other things. This time it's this TV show. It is the way of things.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PostNouveau posted:

Did those people make it back from the winter K2 ascent?

Most of them did! But two of them fell off the mountain and the three who vanished remain vanished

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ante posted:

And yeah, Seasons 6 and 7 are the best. I think the Canadian Shield environment is actually the best / easiest of the three. There's no constant damp infesting everything like the PNW, and food resources are relatively rich, unlike the Patagonia area. Which makes for better TV.

I don’t think it’s actually the easiest, but it has the most varied food options and perhaps the levelest playing field. In the other regions, it’s all about fish. Some contestants just didn’t have good fishing spots, and the fish always dry up when it gets cold.

It takes longer for the first half of the contestants to quit or be pulled in the Great Slave Lake seasons, but I think that’s down to better selection and preparation of competitors. The winner of the Patagonia season went eighty‐seven days, implying it was relatively easy to survive there, but it just wasn’t interesting to watch everyone fish and starve.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Glad to hear they change up the locations eventually. Season 2 is pretty good (Nicole :3:) but it seems people pretty quickly figure out the formula and then it's down to whether they have fish at their location because there's absolutely nothing else.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ante posted:

Nah, Wikipedia says he was a Survivor contestant

I meant season 2 of Survivor, I can't believe i forgot the most important part of my post.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Leperflesh posted:

my wife and I have nearly finished watching 20(!) seasons of Time Team and he and Tony Robbins are the stand-out stars of the show.

Time Team came to my university once when I was in grad school. They were looking for new field techs, but found the general shovelbum population of Bournemouth to not be attractive enough for TV. It turns out archaeologists are not a well-groomed lot, who coulda guessed?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I like that this thread pivots when it's not climbing season. The alternative would be having it completely dead for 10-11 months out of the year. And a bunch of us wouldn't have discovered Alone without it.

If you really only want to read about climbing stuff, just unbookmark and come back each May for a few weeks.

mobby_6kl posted:

Glad to hear they change up the locations eventually. Season 2 is pretty good (Nicole :3:) but it seems people pretty quickly figure out the formula and then it's down to whether they have fish at their location because there's absolutely nothing else.

I'm surprised there weren't any game animals around Vancouver Island, but none of those seasons showed signs of a single rabbit or deer. There weren't even many ducks or geese around. So it was all about the fish, and some of the contestants just got garbage fishing spots.

I'm watching through season 5 now (Mongolia), and the food is more varied, which makes for more interesting watching. There's still fish, but also grouse, snakes(!), and seemingly better foraging options. Maybe boar too? It's a nice change from Vancouver Island.

Patagonia was interesting in that the contestants can find consistent food, but it's never enough over a long period of time. So the season goes pretty long, and it's sad watching everyone slowly starve half to death.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

vortmax posted:

No

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Aren't mods supposed to close popular threads and force them off to some forsaken forum to die? This is very confusing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Leperflesh posted:

There are only two kinds of British shows. The first is the one that has three total episodes, and the second is the type that has been running every week since 1963.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Time Team came to my university once when I was in grad school. They were looking for new field techs, but found the general shovelbum population of Bournemouth to not be attractive enough for TV. It turns out archaeologists are not a well-groomed lot, who coulda guessed?

Given the level of grooming, or absence of it rather, of everyone on the show anyway I'm amazed at how shabby your bournemouth trowelscrapers must have been!

like phil is never not wearing some variety of ugly shorts, usually ripped jean cutoffs, and just take one look at Mick lol.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

After watching Alone its amazing how fake every survival/adventure show now feels.

Oh no i've been in the woods overnight and NOW im starving and have to catch a rabbit to win!! *sets up snare and immediately catches a rabbit*

Ohh, i need to build a boat. thankfully ive found this fully entact hide on the floor here because ummm.. like... err... the local people put out dead animals to entice wolves and shoot them.

Also don't let me forget bear grylls who has to murder every other snake he finds for food and drink filthy water.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 6, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

hemale in pain posted:

After watching Alone its amazing how fake every survival/adventure show now feels.

Oh no i've been in the woods overnight and NOW im starving and have to catch a rabbit to win!! *sets up snare and immediately catches a rabbit*

Ohh, i need to build a boat. thankfully ive found this fully entact hide on the floor here because ummm.. like... err... the local people put out dead animals to entice wolves and shoot them.

Also don't let me forget bear grylls who has to murder every other snake he finds for food and drink filthy water.

Survivorman felt pretty genuine. It was basically the same setup as Alone, minus the cash prize. Les Stroud, some camera gear, and the bare minimum of essentials in a variety of harsh environments.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WhiteHowler posted:

Survivorman felt pretty genuine. It was basically the same setup as Alone, minus the cash prize. Les Stroud, some camera gear, and the bare minimum of essentials in a variety of harsh environments.
Whoever came up with the formula first is a loving genius though. No crew, no writers, maybe $1k of equipment per contestant. One guy can scout the locations, screen the applications, and then edit the footage. Must be printing money.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The producer is obviously hanging out in the nearest town so that they can tap out contestants within a few hours, too. So I bet he's just in a hotel, reviewing the previous week's footage from everyone and picking out interesting bits. Extremely efficient

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mobby_6kl posted:

maybe $1k of equipment per contestant

It was cool when one contestant’s shelter burned with the camera batteries inside.

It made for good video, they can write the gear off taxes, and they were likely due to upgrade to newer cameras anyway.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i wonder how much footage there is of contestants forgetting to turn off their camera and beating off

has to be a lot by now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah haha I wonder haha I bet that footage is out there somewhere heh lmao someone probably uploaded it on some site right hehe

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Could you bring a magazine as one of the 10 items?

Or a book, for that matter. That's what I'd take seeing as how people start to go nuts after a few weeks.

E: Are you not allowed to hunt ducks or geese on Vancouver Island? Haven't seen anyone try that's would definitely be better than starving.

I was thinking a textbook. 1400 pages, would take me a year probably: https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Eng...ng+mathe&sr=8-3
Vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2021

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
How long does it take you to read a book?

A Kindle has a month long battery life though sometimes

E: or can maybe use the camera batteries with some cleverness

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You could totally short the camera batteries and spark a fire with them.

Maybe it’s forbidden, but they do use the trail cams and telephoto zooms to help catch/hunt animals, so eh.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've actually tried to do that and never been able to make it work

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Might need to connect a few of them together first. I almost melted an alligator clip when I shorted my 3S lipo accidentally.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The problem was that it's a very large amount of energy, but only very briefly. Not long enough to catch even dry tinder, really. The ferrorod works because there's a shower of sparks for a relatively long period of time

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

WhiteHowler posted:

I liked survivorman for one episode where he starts walking out of a place and he sets the camera up to get a shot of him walking away over a hill in the distance. He clears it and the footage goes fast forward speed as he walks all the way back to collect the camera.

Another one he straight up says he's leaving some of his camera equipment behind and the crew can pick it up lol

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
The lithium inside lithium batteries reacts violently with moisture in the air, you'd have one guaranteed fire per battery at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ilmucche posted:

Another one he straight up says he's leaving some of his camera equipment behind and the crew can pick it up lol

He does it in

checks notes

Season 1, episode 7 “Canyon Lands”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KMlHkJs3To&t=2572s