Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

seiferguy posted:

This was probably the most infuriating black mage I've ever seen:

- no thunder spells
- no flare
- no blizzard 3
- no fire 1
- no ley lines
- single targeted during massive pulls (with exception of freeze, I guess)

Basically they would use their umbral hearts with 3 fire4s then instead of refreshing enochian they would go back into umbral ice by casting freeze. I tried to explain "Hey, use up all of your MP, your blizzard spells are a free mp cast at that point!" and of course no response. It's not like they're a newbie either as they had several other classes at level 80.

I got 2 comms though, probably the frustrated tank and healer realizing how long the dungeon was taking.

Someone has never been introduced to the Ice Mage class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Augus posted:

What's funny is that FFXIV's engine is absolute dogshit, the developers have just gotten really good at working with it and have really great artists on their team.

And they've noted that the Hildibrand quests are a big part of that. Those quests let them go completely nuts with the animation engine and see what exactly it's capable of.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

seiferguy posted:

This was probably the most infuriating black mage I've ever seen:

- no thunder spells
- no flare
- no blizzard 3
- no fire 1
- no ley lines
- single targeted during massive pulls (with exception of freeze, I guess)

Basically they would use their umbral hearts with 3 fire4s then instead of refreshing enochian they would go back into umbral ice by casting freeze. I tried to explain "Hey, use up all of your MP, your blizzard spells are a free mp cast at that point!" and of course no response. It's not like they're a newbie either as they had several other classes at level 80.

I got 2 comms though, probably the frustrated tank and healer realizing how long the dungeon was taking.

The frustrating thing is that this BLM just needs to make some pretty minor adjustments to be DF Competent.

But yeah, I have seen way, way worse (like, “single target BLMs not using Enochian or Dots in ShB dungeons” bad)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Another MMO.

Group content is required, frequently, to progress in this game.

All classes do fine in the solo content.

if you're completely out of your mind I suppose you could technically spend hundreds of hours grinding bear asses to get your PLD to max level and then solo the majority of pre-Shadowbringers content. you will eventually need to interact with other players no matter what, though. also that would be boring and a waste of time.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Augus posted:

What's funny is that FFXIV's engine is absolute dogshit, the developers have just gotten really good at working with it and have really great artists on their team.

My favorite thing to do with my friends is tell them to look at their characters' arms lengthwise, and watch them freak out when they realize that they're octagons. Their shading and lighting skills are impressive with his well they obfuscate it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And especially if you get some reshade shaders on it, you can make the game look pretty dang good.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What is the most up to date reshade setup for FF14? I'm currently running Stormshade with a community preset, have there been any major new packages since then?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Ironslave posted:

My favorite thing to do with my friends is tell them to look at their characters' arms lengthwise, and watch them freak out when they realize that they're octagons. Their shading and lighting skills are impressive with his well they obfuscate it.

Have you got a picture to show this? I can't see it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I cant imagine a black mage who doesnt want to do ridiculous aoe damage the second they learn fire II, thats basically the point of the class. Why even play the class if you dont want insane numbers

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

please knock Mom! posted:

So I dig samurai and ninja but is there a dps that I can competently play while drunk, like just turn on cruise control and go? Or am I describing samurai here?

Whichever job you play the most and have built up muscle memory for. RDM is probably the simplest dps but if you don't know how the job works you'll still do bad compared to just being a bit worse at something you actually know

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

please knock Mom! posted:

So I dig samurai and ninja but is there a dps that I can competently play while drunk, like just turn on cruise control and go? Or am I describing samurai here?

Dancer :twisted:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Something like DRK or Paladin is probably easier to play drunk than any of the dps classes

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like tanks and healers come with a different kind of pressure. Like having to pop LBs at specific mechanics and poo poo. If you gently caress up a mechanic or don't know the boss you could easily end up wiping.

At least a DPS will usually only kill themselves when they fail.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

stev posted:

I feel like tanks and healers come with a different kind of pressure. Like having to pop LBs at specific mechanics and poo poo. If you gently caress up a mechanic or don't know the boss you could easily end up wiping.

in leveling dungeons, generally the tanks and healers will have fewer special mechanics to do to make up for them having more to do to keep the party alive, so it balances out

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

stev posted:

This is only at the extreme levels, or a rare couple of normal raids. If you have basic tanking skills down, you're fine jumping into 99% of new content. Healers might be a bit tougher since you can't tank privilege your way through a couple failed mechanics.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chomposaur posted:

I mean when WoW tried to ape that scene six months later, they dropped this goofy turd that was universally reviled as a lovely end to a lovely expansion. Maybe they should stick to Thrall kill shots lol

What the gently caress is even happening here? It looks like a cyst is having a laser shot out of it and scattering through a prism?

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

S.J. posted:

What the gently caress is even happening here? It looks like a cyst is having a laser shot out of it and scattering through a prism?

It is clearly YOU, the CHAMPION channeling the power of the planet to defeat the unholy god of the evil empire, DUH.

The rest of your friends are just off screen, channeling as well.

It’s very dramatic. You can feel the animators and designers checking all the drama boxes. The stakes have never been higher.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

S.J. posted:

the cyst on the left is N'Zoth, an old god who, of course, wants to destroy the planet for various retconned reasons. the right is the player character, focusing beams from... I forget, probably Wrathion and some others, through the Heart of Azeroth necklace that players had in BFA, to do the kamehameha. it's pretty much the final Dying Gasp scene with find-replace done on it by an overstimulated fourteen-year-old.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

M.c.P posted:

It is clearly YOU, the CHAMPION channeling the power of the planet to defeat the unholy god of the evil empire, DUH.

The rest of your friends are just off screen, channeling as well.

It’s very dramatic. You can feel the animators and designers checking all the drama boxes. The stakes have never been higher.

Im glad that wow is maintaining the quality of storytelling its always been known for

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

World War Mammories posted:

the cyst on the left is N'Zoth, an old god who, of course, wants to destroy the planet for various retconned reasons. the right is the player character, focusing beams from... I forget, probably Wrathion and some others, through the Heart of Azeroth necklace that players had in BFA, to do the kamehameha. it's pretty much the final Dying Gasp scene with find-replace done on it by an overstimulated fourteen-year-old.

One of the worst things about WoW's storytelling is that they've managed to burn through pretty much every long standing villain, most of whom got really lovely endings. They've all just died as raid bosses solely because each raid needs a climax. I'm not sure who's even left after BFA (I didn't bother with Shadowlands).

I think the only villain story/death I actually enjoyed was Arthas', and that was basically a sequel to WC3 and had nothing to do with the player whatsoever.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

They aren't even doing it right. Clearly that thing can only be defeated by telefragging it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

stev posted:

One of the worst things about WoW's storytelling is that they've managed to burn through pretty much every long standing villain, most of whom got really lovely endings. They've all just died as raid bosses solely because each raid needs a climax. I'm not sure who's even left after BFA (I didn't bother with Shadowlands).

I think the only villain story/death I actually enjoyed was Arthas', and that was basically a sequel to WC3 and had nothing to do with the player whatsoever.

The main villain of Shadowlands is apparently like, the actual real villain of everything? Like, he's the entity that created Frostmourne and the helm of damnation, and there's some sidequest text that implies he may or may not be behind the inciting events that corrupted Sargeras and made the burning legion.

But I have no loving clue where on earth they could go from here, if that's true.

\/ Imply nothing, we've seen the cutscene, surprise: it's real bad.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 5, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

stev posted:

yeah, arthas was the last hanging thread from wc3, and when that well ran dry they had nothing left. concept art heavily implies that they're going to turn king anduin into a new lich king.

besides that, shadowlands is about a bunch of new guys who run a multiverse of afterlives, except a big mean guy named the Jailer wants to gently caress with it because idk he's evil I guess.

also, here's the whole ending cutscene with n'zoth. BEHOLD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_iHOJ1Ezr0

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Jesus. I played BFA when it first dropped and couldn't keep going after finishing up the first war campaign. Literally the only thing I wish FF14 had that WoW does is the extra difficulty stuff for dungeons. That would be fun.

Kurieg posted:

The main villain of Shadowlands is apparently like, the actual real villain of everything? Like, he's the entity that created Frostmourne and the helm of damnation, and there's some sidequest text that implies he may or may not be behind the inciting events that corrupted Sargeras and made the burning legion.

But I have no loving clue where on earth they could go from here, if that's true.

Weren't these all things that were already discovered during, like, WC3? God drat they really have hosed with that universe's story.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
XIV needs the transmog system, glamour dresser/plates are embarrassing

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
drat I forgot that when the N'zoth wall dies it plays Bear_roar.wav for some reason, that's still hilarious.

S.J. posted:

Weren't these all things that were already discovered during, like, WC3? God drat they really have hosed with that universe's story.

They retconned functionally everything with BFA, there's 3 whole loving books devoted to telling the real and true history of the multiverse now.

And they're still straight up lying to the players so they an introduce new LORE and show off how brilliant and amazing these villains are because you've believed all these lies up until now.

Please ignore that it was Blizzard who told you to believe these lies because they were previously presented as gospel truth.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kurieg posted:

drat I forgot that when the N'zoth wall dies it plays Bear_roar.wav for some reason, that's still hilarious.

They retconned functionally everything with BFA, there's 3 whole loving books devoted to telling the real and true history of the multiverse now.

And they're still straight up lying to the players so they an introduce new LORE and show off how brilliant and amazing these villains are because you've believed all these lies up until now.

Please ignore that it was Blizzard who told you to believe these lies because they were previously presented as gospel truth.

:negative:

Ah yes, I remember this music from... literally every blizzard cutscene in the last 15 years.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kurieg posted:

lmao oh my god that is the warcraft bear roar. gott im himmel.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hooray, I hit 60 on Scholar. Then I got the AF gear and realized I really need to Marie Kondo my inventories.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Yeah lets turn the previously-interesting cosmic horror into a growly dude who wants an empire, that'll buy us some time to really fine-tune the grind in Shadowlands"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My FFXIV ease of playing while drunk DPS category:

S tier:
Dancer - shiny button? Push it. Just remember standard and technical finish.
Machinist - your drunken self will probably overlap some hypercharge phases with drill and/or air anchor but that really doesn't matter much unless you're doing savage content. Otherwise it's 123, drill, air anchor and automatic queen woo

A tier:
Red Mage - switching between white and black mana is pretty easy if you've played the class enough but you'll probably drunkenly gently caress it up at some point. No biggie.
Dragoon - your drunken self probably will miss positionals but the combos are super straight forward! Just alternate between your chaos thrust and full thrust combos and throw your jumps in between.

B tier:
Black mage - a drunken player probably won't want to move much, so this is ideal. However, you're likely to forget to cast fire 1 to keep Astral fire up and lose enochian, ruining your whole rotation. If you remember that then the rest of the class is a breeze.
Samurai - I haven't played SAM yet admittedly but as the most selfish dps class just push buttons I would assume!

The rest:
Bard - there's so much uptime to have to remember: got a Bard song up? Are the dots falling off and you need to cast iron jaws? You could just stand there and cast burst shot all day I guess.
Summoner - similar to Bard, in general its a "use buttons if they're up" but constantly remembering to keep your dots up and to remember to go into your dreadwyrm/firebird phase is tough.
Ninja - you're going to forget to cast your mudras lol
Monk - a more complicated Dragoon I guess.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

S.J. posted:

Jesus. I played BFA when it first dropped and couldn't keep going after finishing up the first war campaign. Literally the only thing I wish FF14 had that WoW does is the extra difficulty stuff for dungeons. That would be fun.

Im hoping the stat squash is a step in this direction, because while extra difficulty in dungeons sounds fun, Im guessing what I truly want is for older content to actually pose some sort of threat. Even the Hades fight was over before he even got to the doom mechanic.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Control Volume posted:

Im hoping the stat squash is a step in this direction, because while extra difficulty in dungeons sounds fun, Im guessing what I truly want is for older content to actually pose some sort of threat. Even the Hades fight was over before he even got to the doom mechanic.

I hope something like this comes around. It's absurd that trials and raids get synced to the max ilvl of the expansion, and not something sensible like max ilvl for that patch (or maybe next patch for Savage raids).

It's probably wishful thinking, but I wish they'd also squish everything at level x0 to the same ilvl, or at least a much smaller range. The levelling gear covers about 50 ilvls over 10 levels, and then you have like 150 ilvls over the patch content.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It would be wild to have to do LOTA or CT at the intended ilevel and find out what any of the bosses actually do, it'd nearly be like a new wave of content in itself

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

multijoe posted:

It would be wild to have to do LOTA or CT at the intended ilevel and find out what any of the bosses actually do, it'd nearly be like a new wave of content in itself

I thought this until I got a group bad enough to see the worms on Cloud of Darkness in TYOOL 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That's just embarrassing

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Firebert posted:

I thought this until I got a group bad enough to see the worms on Cloud of Darkness in TYOOL 2021

I looked up a strategy guide for Syrcus once out of curiosity. We actually still get the complete Xande and Amon fights. But did you know Scylla has an ability called Daybreak? And Glasya has an ability called Deathstream?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

That's just embarrassing

It's kind of funny that all they seemed to take from it is 'people like kamehamehas'

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

multijoe posted:

What is the most up to date reshade setup for FF14? I'm currently running Stormshade with a community preset, have there been any major new packages since then?

I think most everyone uses GShade these days: https://gposers.com/gshade/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Rosalind posted:

I think most everyone uses GShade these days: https://gposers.com/gshade/

Thank you!