Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

oh no removable storage is so hard let's not do it

let's not do anything, it's all just too hard

transferring your files to a new device should involve as much google crawling up my loving rear end in a top hat as possible

64gb should be enough for anyone right? why don't you use the cloud bro?????

also let's pay a 400% markup for internal storage, i particularly like that part

just get an iphone. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no. it's vitally important that i can use the 1tb class 2 micro-sd card from aliexpress to store my precious memories, music, and apps

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

oh no removable storage is so hard let's not do it

let's not do anything, it's all just too hard

transferring your files to a new device should involve as much google crawling up my loving rear end in a top hat as possible

64gb should be enough for anyone right? why don't you use the cloud bro?????

also let's pay a 400% markup for internal storage, i particularly like that part
:lmao:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

no. it's vitally important that i can use the 1tb class 2 micro-sd card from aliexpress to store my precious memories, music, and apps

don't be silly, i don't just use a 1tb class 2 micro-sd card from aliexpress to store my files

i sync them to my server at home using syncthing as well, i'm not a complete animal.

which is what set off this unhinged ranting. syncthing is a lovely piece of software but there's not much it can do if android keeps breaking programmatic access to external storage.

i did get it fixed, eventually, after a lot of cursing.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anroid

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

As an embedded engineer, I hate sdcards with a passion. Apple was 100% correct never to add them to iPhones.

where are you embedded

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

As an embedded engineer, I hate sdcards with a passion. Apple was 100% correct never to add them to iPhones.

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sapozhnik posted:

i did get it fixed, eventually, after a lot of cursing.

i know that feeling

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

android thread: i did get it fixed, eventually, after a lot of cursing.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I need a phone with a sd card slot because there's not enough internal memory to store my anime and roms

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

carry on then posted:

sorry that every product is not designed expressly for your usecase over all others, i guess

this is so dumb, there's so incredibly much room for different kinds of phones for different people, but the google toothbrush nonsense has infiltrated (idiot tech) peoples brains to the point where "well not *everyone* want this thing, so clearly it must not be done".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

idk what you mean, plenty of companies make phones with niche features that don't work, like micro-sd storage.

the fact that it's poorly/barely supported by the os just means it's up to the vendor to implement properly.

oops

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
at this point I've given google so much of my data that after I die they'll be able to create a sentient digital copy of me to hawk ads and poo poo-tier telephones to my descendants

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

DoomTrainPhD posted:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

it's technically secure if the update disables all the radios or just prevents it from booting, right?

my wife's fi phone already does this in the US no regulations needed

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

idk what you mean, plenty of companies make phones with niche features that don't work, like micro-sd storage.

the fact that it's poorly/barely supported by the os just means it's up to the vendor to implement properly.

oops

google has been trying to phase out sd storage because it is a bad idea and causes infinite problems. vendors are fighting it because they are dumb. so here we are.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

sd support is one of the last things android oems have over iphones in the eyes of the dyp inclined consumers

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

look, it's critically important that I have the full libraries for the sega genesis and saturn on me at all times

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the only rooted android feature thats even halfway useful for normal people is call recording

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

google has been trying to phase out sd storage because it is a bad idea and causes infinite problems. vendors are fighting it because they are dumb. so here we are.

tbf vendors are fighting it because it's one of the tiny scraps of feature differentiation they have left that isn't a screen gimmick or increasingly absurd camera clusters. it's terrible and has always worked poorly, but this is android we're talking about, there's clearly a market for that

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
People who demand sdcard storage also buy the cheapest piece of poo poo sdcard they can find and then complain when it's slow or breaks, and they yank them out all the time while the sdcard is mounted and in use. Removable storage is awful, and I'm glad it's going away.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i get why some of the dypers want them i mean when youre minmaxing multiple mvno subs trying to keep your monthly bill under $20 im sure you arent swimming in money to spend or data to burn on streaming poo poo

otoh that feeling when i just got a spotify sub and decided to never janitor my music collection ever again was so freeing i cant imagine the kind of person who is like "no i never want to feel good ever so ill just keep managing music like its 1997" i understand there are people like that but theyre so tedious to be around that i enjoy watching bad things happen to them

probably not my best personality trait but i cannot help but feel this way

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

LastInLine posted:

otoh that feeling when i just got a spotify sub and decided to never janitor my music collection ever again was so freeing i cant imagine the kind of person who is like "no i never want to feel good ever so ill just keep managing music like its 1997" i understand there are people like that but theyre so tedious to be around that i enjoy watching bad things happen to them

storage used to be a real pita on iphones when 16gb was the default and you had to sync music/podcasts onto them

but now with photos/overcast/spotify all being smart about offloading to the butt and 64gb being standard i never even think about it. i literally just had to check whether my iphone11 had 32 or 64 onboard storage cos poo poo just works

praise timb, pbuh

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

LastInLine posted:

i get why some of the dypers want them i mean when youre minmaxing multiple mvno subs trying to keep your monthly bill under $20 im sure you arent swimming in money to spend or data to burn on streaming poo poo

probably not my best personality trait but i cannot help but feel this way

you're in good(?) company since everyone in yospos has that personality trait too

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

sb hermit posted:

you're in good(?) company since everyone in yospos has that personality trait too

yosposters are huge nerds, but we're all self hating nerds, so we bully each other into doing 'normie' things that are actually good, like using spotify instead of music janitoring

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

yosposters are huge nerds, but we're all self hating nerds, so we bully each other into doing 'normie' things that are actually good, like using spotify instead of music janitoring

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/7/22318369/google-hr-advised-mental-health-leave-racist-sexist-behavior

quote:

Several current and former Google employees say the company’s human resources department would often suggest mental health counseling or leave in response to complaints about racist or sexist behavior in the workplace, NBC News reported.

The workers described encounters with coworkers that included racist comments about skin color and hairstyles, as well as sexual harassment. When they contacted Google’s human resources department, each was encouraged to take mental health leave, even when their complaints were unrelated to mental health concerns, according to NBC.
complain about sexist or racist behavior, get a recommendation for mental health treatment. charming

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I guess google switched out the google pay app and now it has less features and costs money to send money to other people. people seem mad but it's like, what do you expect at this point. also the new app has a messenger app built in

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

I guess google switched out the google pay app and now it has less features and costs money to send money to other people. people seem mad but it's like, what do you expect at this point. also the new app has a messenger app built in

not exactly its a lot dumber than that

all of the old app was moved into a difficult to find spot in the new app (actually its not even in the new app its in play services) this is the nfc payments and reward cards

the new app was built entirely for india and the innovation there is that google gets a percentage when you send money to people which i guess isnt free over there for some reason

oh yeah if youre absolutely insane the new app has a way for you to hook up as many bank accounts as you want to it so google can mine them for data. im not making that up and theres nothing in it for you if you do it other than more ads in the app and it will show you your bank transactions like your bank app does

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Jenny Agutter posted:

hahaha that's amazing. real cherry on top of a poo poo sundae

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

crepeface posted:

hahaha that's amazing. real cherry on top of a poo poo sundae

its difficult to state just how bad the app actually is. its got three tabs and none of them are devoted to the features you would actually use

the default one is just a stream of advertising where even the links to your loyalty cards doesnt actually bring up the barcode to scan its just ads for that merchant

one of the other tabs is for gpay promos which is advertising for the app youre already using so its like invite people and use it at this other place etc

the other tab is the one to look at your bank accounts that you link with (i guess) a list of transactions youve made

i go through this to point out that aside from the fee-encumbered money sending between users (where the messaging app is lol) is that absolutely none of this has anything the user can actually do with the app itself. three tabs in the ui and almost none of it is actionable information. the only link to anything useful is a tiny picture of your card in the top right that kicks you out of the app to take you to the old interface that has poo poo you can use

oh yeah and that link to a completely different app thats actually useful? theres actually a system wide shortcut to go directly to that without using the app at all. the only reason for the app is to funnel you toward using it to send money with fees that every normal bank account can do for free. its completely pointless in every way

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i am torn between "lmao anroid" and "lmao google"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
my android/google pay experience is tried to use it to pay a coworker once. the javascript page had 2 fields, whole dollars and cents and the only way to get the cursor to focus on the cents portion was to press the '.' key on your keyboard, but not the '.' key on the numpad, that would result in a '.' character placed into the dollars field which was invalid and still wouldn't let you put cents in

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plank Walker posted:

my android/google pay experience is tried to use it to pay a coworker once. the javascript page had 2 fields, whole dollars and cents and the only way to get the cursor to focus on the cents portion was to press the '.' key on your keyboard, but not the '.' key on the numpad, that would result in a '.' character placed into the dollars field which was invalid and still wouldn't let you put cents in

lmao perfect distillation of google experience

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

android: not exactly its a lot dumber than that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google is extremely sore about being locked out of china (where Apple is making shitloads of money). they decided that they’re going all in on India because it’s obviously the next boom economy. they keep releasing India-specific products and features and these keep failing miserably. and also India is not really growing anywhere like China did, but google is in denial.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Gpay does well here (India), but the new update definitely made it perform worse. Contactless cards and machines are a rarity here so this makes up for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LastInLine posted:

its difficult to state just how bad the app actually is
the ars technica article on it is just savage. the header image is a google pay logo swirling down a flushing toilet with a bunch of money! ive never seen a tech site go after a google product with hammer and tongs like that. usually no matter how bad a product is from a big tech company theyll try to glass-half-full it (e.g. every article about stadia for the last year that plays up how "promising" it is) so its really something to get a total pan like this

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/03/the-new-google-pay-repeats-all-the-same-mistakes-of-google-allo/