Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Smoking Crow posted:

he always talks about matches like they're real, even when being interviewed by dave meltzer

Tony thinks it’s still real, he’s the ultimate mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

One of my favorite Tony moments was like a day or two (episode or two?) after getting the Tessa question where he went something along the lines 'you know there are some wrestlers out there who are really really talented but have a poor attitude and that's just not something we want in the locker room'.

I remember Schiavone did one of this Q&A segments after a Dynamite and somebody asked him if he'd like to see Tessa in AEW, and he basically replied,"I really like her dad, he's a great guy" and then moved on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

collocation posted:

always been confused by that

maybe the chair was broken and he couldn't put it higher

surely he couldn't have wanted to sit like that?

I know someone who sits like that at work sometimes.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I feel like I've heard Tully and Tessa aren't incredibly close

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

NienNunb posted:

I've literally heard 'estranged' but idk

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've heard a lot of words too but I don't brag about it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tessa should form a tag team with Lauren Boebert of children estranged from tag team dads.

And other mutual interests.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Wasn’t Tessa raised by Magnum TA?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I haven't heard that many words. Could use some more.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

flashy_mcflash posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKWqOg5AQFw/?igshid=c1bniyhgkv5u

Seemingly not too bad, judging by this birthday post. I hope she matures as a person.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is Tessa related to Test. or would have been friends together. And

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Big Bidness posted:

There’s an AIW podcast where MJF is out of character and you can tell he’s super nervous about it. Hearing him be humble and polite is like seeing a luchador unmasked.

Which also use to happen at AIW after parties. You’d see MJF being a human and Laredo Kid without a mask. I don’t like either of those things.
He did a shoot IV with Josh Briggs (Yeah...) and Anthony Greene for their short-lived IWTV show, too. There are some things that don't age great—Briggs in general, MJF gushing about Allie Kat a good bit (though they're friends again, so not as weird to watch as it would have been at one point)—but it's probably still worth watching.

The thing with MJF out of gimmick that doesn't hit you until you see him that way is just how young he is. Dude can't even rent a car, though he'll be able to after his birthday in a week in a half.

collocation posted:

always been confused by that

maybe the chair was broken and he couldn't put it higher

surely he couldn't have wanted to sit like that?
You know how there are certain positions you sometimes end up in without much thought because it's more comfortable? That's absolutely a position that helps when you're using a computer chair that's busted, but not quite broken. I remember having to do it a little at one point until I got a new chair.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

davidbix posted:

Dude can't even rent a car, though he'll be able to after his birthday in a week in a half.

Wait... what? You can't rent a car in the United States until you're 25? :psyduck:

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Jerusalem posted:

Wait... what? You can't rent a car in the United States until you're 25? :psyduck:

It’s 21 now, but some companies do charge extra for younger drivers to rent a car.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Cavauro posted:

is Tessa related to Test. or would have been friends together. And

Chuck Testa is their uncle

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in amourica it's actually called hiring a car.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

This is the real reason why WWE doesn't employ young people anymore

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jerusalem posted:

It was an insurance thing I believe, same reason your rates go down at 25.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave feelings on the Great O'khan feel very much like his feeling on Taichi around 2018

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

GoutPatrol posted:

It's probably to account for the discrepancy between legal adulthood (18) and when the brain is finished developing (about 25), I reckon?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gumball Gumption posted:

It pretty much is something from 30-odd years ago that just happens to be on a computer screen now.

Also you don't have to imagine:
My favorite part about this image is that it looks like it should be sometime from the late 90's, but this picture was taken in the last 12 years.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I know Lanza isn’t into Joshi but him not wanting Itohs persona explained to him to complaining about Yukas voice, thinking that she’s doing it for a gimmick was kinda harsh .

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

TV Zombie posted:

I know Lanza isn’t into Joshi but him not wanting Itohs persona explained to him to complaining about Yukas voice, thinking that she’s doing it for a gimmick was kinda harsh .
Yuka IS doing a gimmicked voice. Her normal speaking voice isn't nearly as high-pitched or strained as the one she does in the ring, in her theme, or in general promos.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

So you can rent/hire a car, you just have to pay more? It's kind of blowing my mind the idea that a 24-year-old would be legally prohibited from hiring a car and I assume that can't possibly be the case.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 6, 2021

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

So you can rent/hire a car, you just have to pay more? It's kind of blowing my mind the idea that a 24-year-old would be legally prohibited from hiring a car and I assume that can't possibly by the case.
This only changed a few years ago, I wanted to rent a car when I was 23 (2013) and three different rental places told me they don't rent to people under 25.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

RealFoxy posted:

Yuka IS doing a gimmicked voice. Her normal speaking voice isn't nearly as high-pitched or strained as the one she does in the ring, in her theme, or in general promos.

Huh. It seemed high but I thought it was natural based on this translation of an article found on Twitter

https://twitter.com/kaelanramos/status/1365347645758259210?s=21

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

Huh. It seemed high but I thought it was natural based on this translation of an article found on Twitter

https://twitter.com/kaelanramos/status/1365347645758259210?s=21
She exaggerates it when she's in wrestling (Because it makes her stand out a little more), but she's still got a pretty distinct voice. It's the same thing that Twitch Streamer LillyPichu went through her whole life, when people are in character/in front of a camera they've got different speaking voices than when they're off-camera and around friends.

Yuka started as a comedian and then transitioned into a wrestler, one of her standouts was her voice so she's obviously going to stress that

If Lanza had ever seen TJPW he'd actually be kinda right, Yuka is loud as hell and never stops talking. It's like the difference between Mizuki and Riho, to the untrained eye they both have similar gear, similar wrestling styles, similar builds and height but Mizuki is another girl who is just loud as hell and cannot stop her mouth from moving.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have lots of favourite things in the meltzer office photo but my favourite favourite is the fire extinguisher that would do literally nothing if that place went up

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

davidbix posted:

It's probably to account for the discrepancy between legal adulthood (18) and when the brain is finished developing (about 25), I reckon?

No because this has been for much longer than we knew about that. It is literally looking at actuarial tables and seeing vast decreases in crashes after age 25, particularly in men.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/teenagers

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Oops wrong thread

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 6, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NienNunb posted:

It's still kind of wild to me not only is Tully her dad but Magnum TA is her step dad. (I don't know how close she is with him either.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jesus WEP posted:

i have lots of favourite things in the meltzer office photo but my favourite favourite is the fire extinguisher that would do literally nothing if that place went up

I like that you can just barely make a second computer on the other side of the room

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

It's still kind of wild to me not only is Tully her dad but Magnum TA is her step dad. (I don't know how close she is with him either.)

iirc Magnum TA was the one who actually was the father figure in her life.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

Holy crap. Meltzer's newsletter is formatted like something from 30-odd years ago. It just keeps going and going and going without anything in the way of section headers or jump links. It's seriously just stream of consciousness writing until you pass out; I can only imagine how he sits in front of some green-glow word processor to type it out with two fingers.

It's rad, but hard as hell to read.

It used to come in a folded up 12 pieces of paper in the mail weekly, and kicking back on a weekend morning and flipping through it was somehow a totally different experience to reading it on the computer

I suppose if you still get it by mail it still does come like that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
It's such a pain you can't get it as an email PDF or something instead of having to scroll through a big loving webpage

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Part of me wishes Dave and Bryan would switch to a more modern web site/interface but than the old foggy in me also loves the early 00's nature of the website

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Part of me wishes Dave and Bryan would switch to a more modern web site/interface but than the old foggy in me also loves the early 00's nature of the website

If you've ever been to a Japanese website you'll know this design is just another bias of Dave's towards Japan superiority.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SatoshiMiwa posted:

as long as bryans brother in law is the webmaster that poo poo aint ever changing

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I just want to say that the take of 'people these days don't have enough attention span for a two hour wrestling show' is so dumb in a world where people regularly prefer binge watching an entire season of TV in one evening. Lance is right that shows would be better off if they built to big main events, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

New episode of the Torture Wracked podcast is up!

https://torturewracked.podbean.com/e/vol-23-brave-billy-avery-interview/

This episode is an interview with indie wrestler 'Brave' Billy Avery.