Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

What you do is, you make a slurry of cornstarch and a little water in a big bowl, heat it slowly in the microwave, and dredge your raw potato pieces in that before you bake them at 425 degrees on a foil-lined cookie sheet. When they're brown on top (7 to 15 minutes), carefully turn them over with a spatula and bake until they're brown all over. Toss them with salt or whatever in a nest of paper towels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation
I recently found the secret to awesome oven fries. After cutting them soak them in cold water for 30 mins, then drain and let them dry out in the fridge or on the side for at least an hour. Then toss them in oil and do your usual oven fry thing. They come out crispy and perfect

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Butterfly Valley posted:

There's the meat 'replacement' aspect that some people seem to get upset about, but I think the much more common usage of terms like 'sausage', 'burger' and 'steak', and the vegan rib in this case, is just to describe the general shape and intended preparation of the dish. I was vegetarian for the first 20 or so years of my life and I never once thought that a veggie burger was intending to be a facsimile of beef or anything, merely it was just a round shaped thing that could be grilled and served with all the other burger accoutrements.
When I was younger, it seemed like at just about every barbecue there were these vege burgers that weren't meant to be fake meat, they were just discs of smushed vegetables held together by some kind of culinary magic. Perhaps eggs? They were just a normal thing you could buy from the supermarket and, as I recall, they were pretty good. They don't seem to exist any more. I tried to find them recently and everywhere I looked I just found the awful fake-meat variety that I've tried and hated. Where are the vegetable burgers that aren't ashamed to taste like vegetables? I liked them.

You've got to break the eggs into a bowl so you can mix the white and yolk together. Otherwise you end up with flavourless, rubbery bits of white and dry, suffocating lumps of yolk ruining your pizza.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Tiggum posted:

You've got to break the eggs into a bowl so you can mix the white and yolk together. Otherwise you end up with flavourless, rubbery bits of white and dry, suffocating lumps of yolk ruining your pizza.
Incorrect.

I misjudged the baking time and put them on too early. There was a point that they were perfectly sunny-side-up, but I still had cheese to add on top.

also i wanted it to be very clear that there were eggs involved

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Underwater Shoe posted:

I recently found the secret to awesome oven fries. After cutting them soak them in cold water for 30 mins, then drain and let them dry out in the fridge or on the side for at least an hour. Then toss them in oil and do your usual oven fry thing. They come out crispy and perfect
The last time I made fries was basically that process but with the McDonald's method:

blanched in a salt and sugar brine

Then I fried them and the result was fantastic.

stringless has a new favorite as of 11:39 on Mar 6, 2021

postfixincrement
Jun 15, 2013

doubleplusgood

Tiggum posted:

When I was younger, it seemed like at just about every barbecue there were these vege burgers that weren't meant to be fake meat, they were just discs of smushed vegetables held together by some kind of culinary magic. Perhaps eggs? They were just a normal thing you could buy from the supermarket and, as I recall, they were pretty good.
These still exist! At least around here. ("Groente" means vegetable obviously.) With these specific ones the magic is soy, rather than eggs, to keep the vegans happy.

They're pretty much what you expect, pretty good but not very exciting on their own. I enjoy them with some smoky barbecue sauce.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

postfixincrement posted:

These still exist! At least around here. ("Groente" means vegetable obviously.) With these specific ones the magic is soy, rather than eggs, to keep the vegans happy.
Those look like they could be pretty much the same as the ones I remember. (Eggs was just a wild guess, I don't know what was in them)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The best oven fry recipe is to dump them frozen out of a bag, put them in the oven and pass out after laying down to wait for the timer to go off and wake up to a smoky kitchen and delicious charcoal brickettes.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That's my oven fry recipe as well. I thought when I quit drinking I'd stop doing it but no. I smell oven fries I get the snoozes. I hover for the whole 21 minutes when I make them now. Still burn 'em cause there's 2 minutes left I can pee that fast ooh hi kitty I shall pet you on the opposite side of the house from the timer and oven. What can possibly go wrong. :downs:

10 long minutes later :supaburn:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most fries you eat were probably par fried, frozen, then fried at higher temps.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tiggum posted:

When I was younger, it seemed like at just about every barbecue there were these vege burgers that weren't meant to be fake meat, they were just discs of smushed vegetables held together by some kind of culinary magic. Perhaps eggs?

They’re still around, but tend to be agressively meh. Pretty much a breaded puck of peas (always peas) and some other vegetables, held together with mashed potato.

They aren’t around as much because burger technology have advanced a lot in just the few last years. Meat free burgers are good now, and when you’re burgin’, breaded mash isn’t that satisfying.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Black bean burgers can be good except they often ruin them by putting corn in them

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

more falafel please posted:

Every time I think about making oven fries I remember this bit

Dude ... I feel like Mrs. John Lithgow when I've got one of those things in my mouth!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Or just season up a big ol’ portobello and put that grilled bitch on a bun

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Black bean burgers can be good except they often ruin them by putting corn in them

yeah what's up with that

whole corn kernels make everything worse

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

They’re still around, but tend to be agressively meh. Pretty much a breaded puck of peas (always peas) and some other vegetables, held together with mashed potato.
Nah, the ones I'm talking about weren't breaded. And they weren't full of peas or mashed potatoes either.

axolotl farmer posted:

Meat free burgers are good now
I've tried them. They're not. They're about on par with the absolute cheapest, lowest-quality supermarket sausages - but cost way more.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Elviscat posted:

What do they look like before they hatch?

I don't have a picture of an unhatched hotdog egg, but these freshly hatched little weenie pups emerging from the egg should give you some idea

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Brawnfire posted:

Dude ... I feel like Mrs. John Lithgow when I've got one of those things in my mouth!
Carolus Linnaeus would classify these as lovely.

(different food, same sentiment)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tiggum posted:

I've tried them. They're not. They're about on par with the absolute cheapest, lowest-quality supermarket sausages - but cost way more.

I really, really want to like the fake meats. My husband keeps semi-kosher (won't eat dairy & meat together) and it would open up a lot of meal possibilities for us, something I'm getting more concerned about now that we have a baby due and I'm trying to rework the "weeknight staples" we had growing up that I can make with both eyes closed into something he would be okay with our kids eating.

But even trying to go into eating them with the mindset of "this isn't going to taste just like the real thing" I still come away disappointed. A few fake beeves I've tried, part of what lends it the "beef" flavor is that they replicate like... the smell/taste of the heme of the raw beef, which doesn't go away after you've cooked it, so although it's been on the pan for a while and now has the texture of cooked ground beef, I still keep getting that taste feedback of "this is really undercooked lol" which makes it hard for me to finish eating :(

we do eat vegetarian/pescetarian fairly often but it's nice to have more choices, especially knowing that time and energy to prepare a meal that both of us will be happy with is going to decrease significantly

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Black bean burgers rule.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

AlbieQuirky posted:

Black bean burgers rule.

you know what, drat I haven't had one in a while but they are really good. I had a loving vegan microwave burrito last night (PIZZA FLAVORED) and it tasted like straight up garbage. :( Tasted funky like goat milk somehow, threw it away after a few bites.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

AlbieQuirky posted:

Black bean burgers rule.

Yeah, a good black bean burger can be extremely good. We used to have a place that did a great two-patty cheeseburger with Mayo/onion/pickle/lettuce, and they made awesome black bean burgers in-house that they dressed the same way. I loved the burger, but I still get cravings for the black bean.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

When I see something labeled as chick'n, I don't even blink, I'm so used to seeing that nomenclature.

But the replace a vowel with a ' doesn't always work.

Be'f was unreasonably funny to me.

We didn't buy any, but last night we picked up this:

We knew what was coming, but yeah. I don't love it, but I don't hate it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
dehumanize yourself and face to be'f.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I feel like black bean burgers are an exception to the "vegan / vegetarian food that imitates meat-based dishes almost always sucks" rule. Man, a well made black bean burger patty is so good. It's not the same as a meat burger, but it's just so good as its own thing.

Also seconding the portobello burger idea above. So, so good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/yuripraaa/status/1367844101778010114?s=19

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Does the thread really need to go on a lovely 'whining about fake meat' derail every few weeks? I legitimately can't eat red meat and hate reading through the same stupid, repetitive and occasionally condescending takes every time.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Code Jockey posted:

I feel like black bean burgers are an exception to the "vegan / vegetarian food that imitates meat-based dishes almost always sucks" rule. Man, a well made black bean burger patty is so good. It's not the same as a meat burger, but it's just so good as its own thing.

:sigh: this isn't a rule. even leaving aside the way that most non-vegetarians are seemingly relying on 15 year old dusty memories or believe that the one time they idly decided to try cooking an impossible burger they managed to nail the perfected platonic ideal to judge all plantburgs by, field roast, morningstar farms, boca burger, etc. are all well-developed, tasty products that millions enjoy regularly. they literally would not occupy nearly the shelf space they do if they sucked. say all you want about how they compare relative to real cut up pig or whatever, but it's absolutely ridiculous to pretend like it's not good—indulgent!—food. there is no vast vegan conspiracy artificially inflating the demand for it.

and all that totally loving aside, modern industrialized western frozen stuff is not the be-all end-all of vegetarian dishes made to resemble meat—some southeast asian buddhist cuisines, for one, have been on top of that poo poo for hundreds of years. there are some tradeoffs and compromises, naturally (most of it has the fast-food quality of becoming unappetizing incredibly quickly as it gets cold) but i know where to get entirely plant-based chicken satay that's literally better than the real thing, for instance

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Mar 6, 2021

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they occupy the shelf space they do because their margins are much, much better

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Scarodactyl posted:

Does the thread really need to go on a lovely 'whining about fake meat' derail every few weeks? I legitimately can't eat red meat and hate reading through the same stupid, repetitive and occasionally condescending takes every time.

sorry to hear that :(

if it's any consolation i hate seeing that there's 100s of new posts only to find out that it's the pizza/salad/taco/sandwich/etc "joke" running its course again. based on participation it's clear a lot of people rly like making this joke again and again so i'm just the party pooper, i guess annoying thread derails are a little like food poisoning, you just gotta let it run its course and drink lots of fluids

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I'm not a vegetarian, but I like substituting plant based meals for meat for at least half my meals, and I always just roll my eyes at the derails.

Anyways, there's this little gastropub in this lovely little town on the Olympic Peninsula that has the best black bean burger ever, huge and hearty and moist, it doesn't taste like meat obviously, but it's so rich and savory you don't care, I wish I could get their recipe.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

This is loving :krad:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

by comparison, we can point to a meat-replacer that actually does "suck"—TVP. you do not see a big industry marketing TVP products, TVP snacks, pre-seasoned TVP. you *definitely* can make delicious food with TVP, but it's pretty gross to work with, demands patience and iteration, and is still... hm, a cultivated taste, i would say, in a way that tofu and seitan are not. You can probably find it in any grocery store that carries enough of the Bob's Red Mill back catalogue but even though it's cheap as absolute dirt all of the aforementioned factors mean that significant quantities of TVP-based product is not flying off the shelves, and no matter what the margins are there is no demand for a wide variety of products and flavors

(ironically though it's one carnivores have likely eaten a lot of b/c it's originally/mainly intended as a cheap filler and extender for ground beef—if you ate the meat-based school lunches, you probably had quite a bit of it)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Trader Joe's sells a fantastic Vegetable Masala Burger that's really good. I eat meat, but I've also been counting calories for about thirty years, so these are a nice alternative to more caloric beef burgers. My only caveat is that they burn easily.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Is that pizza rat?

augias
Apr 7, 2009

HookedOnChthonics posted:

by comparison, we can point to a meat-replacer that actually does "suck"—TVP. you do not see a big industry marketing TVP products, TVP snacks, pre-seasoned TVP. you *definitely* can make delicious food with TVP, but it's pretty gross to work with, demands patience and iteration, and is still... hm, a cultivated taste, i would say, in a way that tofu and seitan are not. You can probably find it in any grocery store that carries enough of the Bob's Red Mill back catalogue but even though it's cheap as absolute dirt all of the aforementioned factors mean that significant quantities of TVP-based product is not flying off the shelves, and no matter what the margins are there is no demand for a wide variety of products and flavors

(ironically though it's one carnivores have likely eaten a lot of b/c it's originally/mainly intended as a cheap filler and extender for ground beef—if you ate the meat-based school lunches, you probably had quite a bit of it)

... Difficult? You soak i hot water with some soy sauce for a few minutes the treat it like ground beef.

This syuff is a main staple for vegetarians in my home country. Really ubiquitous in grocery stores and markets. Interesting to read the u.s. take.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they occupy the shelf space they do because their margins are much, much better

High margins for the seller isn't what makes people buy it.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

augias posted:

... Difficult? You soak i hot water with some soy sauce for a few minutes the treat it like ground beef.

This syuff is a main staple for vegetarians in my home country. Really ubiquitous in grocery stores and markets. Interesting to read the u.s. take.

oh yeah, that's the US. like, making paneer or queso fresco is something millions of humans do daily that is also pretty 'simple' but in america most people on the street wouldn't know that making cheese is even possible in a home kitchen, let alone that it's literally just hot milk with some acid in it

like i said, TVP is widely available, but it's not marketed, even the way some other 'boring' grains and staple products are, which indicates to me that the only people buying it (from a market analyst perspective) are weird nerds who probably already have a good idea of how they're going to use it and wouldn't go for convenience products like pre-marinated TVP you're supposed to just slop in a pan and heat up, while vegetarianism in general is now mainstream enough to encompass lots of people who aren't interested in learning how to cook, and there is a whole galaxy of products designed to fill that niche on store shelves

It is definitely interesting to track how vegetarianism has changed in both cultural and practical terms over time though—one of my favorite cookbooks is a first-edition Moosewood cookbook which is fascinating as a snapshot of pre-tofu American vegetarianism—lots of bulgur, Mediterranean food, a Welsh rarebit recipe.

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Mar 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

Thirding the portobello burger. There used to be a couple restaurants in town who did awesome burgers with a big grilled marinated portobello cap as the patty, but they stopped doing it years ago for some reason. I'm not a vegetarian but often order vegetarian stuff out of preference, and I really miss those "burgers."