Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MarcusSA posted:

Looks really good! I don’t know how you do that on carpet though

Very carefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Greg Legg posted:

I have a question for the kettlebell guy!

I tried to do swings but I can't. I always end up tweaking my back. I can do kettlebell cleans and snatches with no issue but just swinging it gives me trouble. Is this a common issue to have?

Replying two months later:

Cleans you keep much closer to your body, you should be doing a hip thrust when you swing. Arms are only to catch at the top and to pull it back down. The only thing moving really should be your hip hinge.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Hurt my lower back real bad today during warm ups, gonna see a chiro tomorrow hopefully it's not something serious

Jk, psychobiosocial model of pain, bitch. Spent the rest of my workout doing various movements to push my tolerance and went from not being able to get the empty bar off the pins without 8/10 pain to doing sets of 95 with like 4/10 pain. I should have backed off more after I took two weeks off lower body training for a heel bruise, I only dropped my intensity by like 10% when I came back

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Squeezed out two squats at 285lb after doing my 275lb working sets. 285lb will soon be my working weight. I might just put 315 on the bar next time just to see how it feels.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Spoiler alert!

its gonna feel heavy but you can totally do it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Squatted 225 for sets of 7 three days after literally being in too much pain to sit or stand. Thank u biopsychosocial model of pain

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

feelix posted:

Squatted 225 for sets of 7 three days after literally being in too much pain to sit or stand. Thank u biopsychosocial model of pain

Hope you're pain free soon!

How often should I do ab work if it's something I want to incorporate into my workouts? Trying to combat what little fat I have around my lower stomach with a two-pronged approach by increasing the muscle size (so that there's more surface area for the fat to rest on) as well as improving my dietary habits.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Thank you friend, almost there!

Not an expert here's my take. Ab hypertrophy is certainly possible and real, but your abs are on all the time just from daily life. Because of this, like side delts or calves, they take crazy dedication and volume to actually grow. So you shouldn't expect them to grow at all. So getting abs is purely dependent on diet. You should still do ab work for the other benefits (maybe I would have reduced my back injury risk if I did abs)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

But a proper diet is so much harder than working out *sobs*

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

gently caress yes it is.

You can’t out train a bad diet and that is some bullshit!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

feelix posted:

Thank you friend, almost there!

Not an expert here's my take. Ab hypertrophy is certainly possible and real, but your abs are on all the time just from daily life. Because of this, like side delts or calves, they take crazy dedication and volume to actually grow. So you shouldn't expect them to grow at all. So getting abs is purely dependent on diet. You should still do ab work for the other benefits (maybe I would have reduced my back injury risk if I did abs)

But when you do a couple sets of proper ab work you can really feel the doms the next day. Doms to me is an indication of hypertrophy happening, even if it's in small amounts like with delts and calves.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

KinkyJohn posted:

But when you do a couple sets of proper ab work you can really feel the doms the next day. Doms to me is an indication of hypertrophy happening, even if it's in small amounts like with delts and calves.

I feel like abs doms stops happening first after a break or reset. First good day of weighted reach ups causes doms and then they're gone so long as I keep up with core auxiliaries.

On the other hand, butt doms happens after several squat days and likes to creep back when I go back to 5 sets. I do a 5/3/2 with some sets of singles throw in for funsies for squats.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
You definitely can get bigger abs by working out but that's not necessarily the same as a six pack - your abs will "stick out" more which is not necessarily appealing to everyone

Pro bodybuilders rarely do directed ab work, for example, because they tend to want the slimmest midsection possible

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MikeCrotch posted:

Pro bodybuilders rarely do directed ab work, for example, because they tend to want the slimmest midsection possible

Yeah, I don't get why people do ab exercises outside of wanting to improve other lifts or wanting to improve their sports performance.

If you are lifting mostly for vanity reasons, why would you want a bigger waist?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yesterday I did a brutal kettlebell circuit but also ate three snickers bars. How long does a work out take? Anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes for most of us. But not eating donuts and candy is something you gotta do ALL DAY. Like I was literally not eating candy for 23 and a half hours yesterday.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, I don't get why people do ab exercises outside of wanting to improve other lifts or wanting to improve their sports performance.

If you are lifting mostly for vanity reasons, why would you want a bigger waist?

I'm lifting 'cause small numbers get big! The aesthetic changes have been a nice plus. Maybe I'll like how a solid trunk looks.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
kettlebell bros always seem to have thick as gently caress trunks

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

silence_kit posted:

I would argue that doing direct ab work increases other lifts, which in turn makes other muscles bigger, which helps towards vanity goals.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
who cares about a narrow waist if you're not a pro bodybuilder

barkbell posted:

kettlebell bros always seem to have thick as gently caress trunks

so did the old school strongmen, back when one arm lifts were popular

lol look at this guy, only thing wider than his waist is his neck lmao

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

turd in my singlet posted:

who cares about a narrow waist if you're not a pro bodybuilder
only reason to have a desire to conform to generally accepted beauty standards is being a pro bodybuilder, gotcha

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pretty sure I have a smaller waist already than some of you have thighs. I could use a little more muscle around my midsection.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Honestly I think people overestimate how much it would be detrimental to your physique. If you look at pictures of Frank Zane, he had super developed abs. I think it's more a case with bodybuilders where like with calves and forearms where they just kind of don't get judged on those certain body parts.

e. I just GIS'd Zane and there's a great picture of him next to a current physique guy. Zane has like, twice the mass on his abs and looks fuckin great

Stealth Tiger fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 6, 2021

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Tbh I think how your abs look more than any other body part is straight up dictated by your muscle insertions and if you want good looking abs the best you can probably do is get as lean as you possibly can without hating your life and tanking your athletic performance and from there it just kinda is what it is.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Like if you're a dude sitting at 10-12% bf your abs probably look pretty drat good to most people.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
To answer the question, I’d choose 3 exercises out of reverse crunch, hanging leg raises, decline crunch, ab wheel or cable crunch, and do 3 sets of each, working up to like 20 reps each set. I like to do at least one “abs from the bottom” and one “abs from the top” movement just to cover the angles. I guess also prepare to have to cut pretty hard if you want actual definition

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Mike Israetel recommend weighted ab exercises over bodyweight crunches so you don't have to do hundreds of reps to get a good workout.

Would also recommend ab wheel for murdering your core

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Concatenation posted:

To answer the question, I’d choose 3 exercises out of reverse crunch, hanging leg raises, decline crunch, ab wheel or cable crunch, and do 3 sets of each, working up to like 20 reps each set. I like to do at least one “abs from the bottom” and one “abs from the top” movement just to cover the angles. I guess also prepare to have to cut pretty hard if you want actual definition

What about frequency? Just every workout?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Abs I have always found recover pretty quickly, so I end up doing them two on, one off (on my 4 day split). Just hit it on days when you feel they're recovered sufficiently to get through it I guess?

edit: also it's nice to rotate the exercises out from time to time, to keep things fresh.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

silence_kit posted:

It's super funny then that almost every pop excercise routine for moms out there focuses heavily on abs, since as we all know you have to work out the area you want to burn fat in and everybody wants a slim waist so, gotta burn those abs baby!

What if the notion that working abs will only make your waist thicc gets traction in social media, then so many people are going to have to reshoot their exercise videos.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
it's so hard to combat that poo poo too

no matter how nicely you word it, people are not going to be receptive to being told "not only are you fat, you're stupid too"

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

So my grip loving sucks, thinking of throwing some static holds at the end of deadlift day. Anyone have luck with that?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I like kroc rows, farmers walks, more deadlifts. I used mixed grip for heavy deads and will warm up with double overhand as far as I can. For the last 5-6 weeks I've also done weekly sets of snatch grip deadlifts and I feel like that's roasted my forearms in a different way than I'm used to.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

VorpalFish posted:

So my grip loving sucks, thinking of throwing some static holds at the end of deadlift day. Anyone have luck with that?

I'll second the suggestion of farmer's walks, ever since I added a set at the end of every workout it seems like my grip is never the problem. If you've never done them, the question is always how long and how much weight, and the answer is as long as you can and as much as you can. I currently do about half my bodyweight in each hand for about 100 ft (my basement is about 18 feet, I go back and forth 6 times) and it's enough that I feel it but I can still finish. If you have a home gym then getting the Titan mini farmer's walk handles is awesome, or if you're at a gym then just use the biggest dumbbells you can.

Holding the last deadlift set as long as you can is also good, as is doing double overhand as much as you can.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

I double overhand warmups but I stop there - going double over on heavier stuff actually leaves my grip fatigued prior to the top set which I want to avoid, which is why I was hoping to get the work done after deadlifting.

Gym has dumbbells up to like 150 or so and a ton of space so I can give farmer carries a shot.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Back before things closed down I always finished with farmers carries.

DB farmers carries are IMO whack because of how you have to hold the drat thing and walk. Kettlebell / Trap bar are vastly superior.

The grip can recover pretty quick so doing them at the end shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Farmers carries are amazing and they call them a walking ab workout for a reason.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Biggest KB I have is 32kg. I suppose I could do suitcase carries with it at the end of a workout.

For now I'm doing a double kettlebell complex routine. It's insane how much double kettlebell snatches fry my glutes with relatively light weights. When I finish this program I'll do a few weeks of "easy strength," most variations of which include some kind of weighted carry.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

VorpalFish posted:

I double overhand warmups but I stop there - going double over on heavier stuff actually leaves my grip fatigued prior to the top set which I want to avoid, which is why I was hoping to get the work done after deadlifting.

Gym has dumbbells up to like 150 or so and a ton of space so I can give farmer carries a shot.

Does your gym have an axle bar or fat grips? Few sets of double overhand deadlifts with either of those at the end of your session will kill your forearms. I went from a 150kg double overhand to 200kg before I need to swap to hook grip and I have tiny baby hands.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Whipstickagostop posted:

Does your gym have an axle bar or fat grips? Few sets of double overhand deadlifts with either of those at the end of your session will kill your forearms. I went from a 150kg double overhand to 200kg before I need to swap to hook grip and I have tiny baby hands.

We have some I think... 30mm bars which are thicker than the 28.5 I usually use but I don't think are as thick as axle. I can probably wrangle some fat grips though.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Just wanna throw my hat in the "Average to Savage is awesome" pile. Buy it. It's $5

I think we all know that productive strength training follows some guidelines that are simple conceptually, but challenging to implement quantitatively:
Do movements you want to get good at and similar movements
Do them a lot, but not so much that you sabotage future training
Do them hard, but not so hard that you sabotage future training
Make them harder for a few weeks, then deload and restart hopefully stronger than you started last time

Average to Savage gets you a bunch of exact quantitative options on how to satisfy each of these requirements no matter the surrounding circumstances, each implemented in a well-written spreadsheet that will help you understand the concepts just by seeing how the spreadsheets work. I probably actually could write my own program without a spreadsheet now just because I understood the implementation of the concepts.

I don't actually have any impressive PRs or anything to show for it, but what I did get is the ability to continue training productively despite having a very stressful several months combined with dieting off 20+ lbs. If I was on a bad dumb program that doesn't allow for autoregulation, I'd just be failing sets and getting hurt left and right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Just switching up a bunch of the various rows I do on back day from cables or machines to freeweights has helped my grip a lot.