Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ultrafilter posted:

Why isn't there a trans thread in E/N? I vaguely remember seeing that at some point.

There wasn't one in there when I took the reins, and so far no one has made one. Same deal with a queer thread or a feminism thread. I'd absolutely welcome a thread on these issues in there, but don't feel qualified to make it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Honourable mention to the politoon thread in D&D, which has taught me at least as much about trans issues as my gender studies at university. It becomes the trans thread whenever something transphobic or good happens that the right wing shitheads midt comment on, so probably not the best place to start out.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

As far as I understand, the only trans thread on SA is hidden in YOSPOS because goons. If you troll it because I sent you there, I will enact revenge on you.

e: I've been informed that there are two more, one in The Minority Rapport and one in Cool Crew Chat Central. Again, if you poo poo these up I WILL enact revenge. Godspeed.

Thank you :blush: you don't have to worry about me trolling

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I need to get a printer, for like 4-10 jobs per year or so. I don't want to deal with worrying about ink drying out, so I'm guessing a laser printer is the way to go here? Any specific model recommendations?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I need to get a printer, for like 4-10 jobs per year or so. I don't want to deal with worrying about ink drying out, so I'm guessing a laser printer is the way to go here? Any specific model recommendations?

There’s a printer thread but basically get the cheap $100 Brother black and white laser printer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ1CLTI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_68XDM6Q0NR6G9G7G02VQ

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

FCKGW posted:

There’s a printer thread but basically get the cheap $100 Brother black and white laser printer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NQ1CLTI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_68XDM6Q0NR6G9G7G02VQ
Yes, I will 2nd this recommendation. Cheap Brother B&W laser is the way to go, it prints fine and I never have to troubleshoot it, the highest praise possible for a printer.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

DCP 1610-W is similarly cheap but you can also scan the thing you had to print and sign.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Trapick posted:

Yes, I will 2nd this recommendation. Cheap Brother B&W laser is the way to go, it prints fine and I never have to troubleshoot it, the highest praise possible for a printer.

This is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

DCP 1610-W is similarly cheap but you can also scan the thing you had to print and sign.

If I need to scan stuff I have an app on my phone. Thanks for the recommendation though!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

For the record the reason I'm so defensive when answering this is because the last time it came up the asker in question decided to double-down on transphobia and that's not kosher.

Sorry again for pointing that rear end in a top hat to the YOSPOS thread :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Penguissimo posted:

Sorry again for pointing that rear end in a top hat to the YOSPOS thread :(

I don’t blame you at all! There’s no way you could have known.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Why the hell does Android ask for a password every 72 hours, when set to unlock via fingerprint? When fingerprint unlocking, there's always the option of using the password instead, and besides it demands it if several fingerprint unlocks fail, so it can't be "in case the fingerprint system breaks and locks you out of your phone".

The best answer I've been able to find is just "for security", but I'd like to understand why it's more secure or, really, even necessary. Aren't fingerprints unique? Or are phone fingerprint scanners really that easily fooled?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s so you can wait out the cops.

In the United States, a person can be compelled to submit to biometric scanning, but they cannot be forced to divulge a password, as that would be a violation of their fifth-amendment right against self testimony (usually, and only till SCOTUS gets another shot at it with the deplorable supermajority).

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I figured that it was so that you don't forget it. If you went a couple months without using your pin you might have trouble remembering it; by making you type it in every few days it keeps it fresh in your mind.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I assumed it was so if you're incapacitated or asleep, someone can't just press your phone against your finger and get your poo poo. I've noticed that mine tends to ask me for my code after I've left it sitting for a while, or if it's on charge, which I guess are situations where someone might be trying to unlock it clandestinely.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ultrafilter posted:

Why isn't there a trans thread in E/N? I vaguely remember seeing that at some point.

the E/N thread is the one that was moved to Cool Crew Chat Central for whatever reason

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don’t blame you at all! There’s no way you could have known.

:glomp:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the E/N thread is the one that was moved to Cool Crew Chat Central for whatever reason

I suspect the reason was Bobbie Wickham, may she never haunt our shores again

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
redacted

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 16, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Platystemon posted:

It’s so you can wait out the cops.

In the United States, a person can be compelled to submit to biometric scanning, but they cannot be forced to divulge a password, as that would be a violation of their fifth-amendment right against self testimony (usually, and only till SCOTUS gets another shot at it with the deplorable supermajority).

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding from reading the news is that that's NOT a settled question in US law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_disclosure_law#United_States

But (again, in my understanding as a non-lawyer), the biometric thing IS settled, and says it's perfectly legal for the cops to force you put your thumb on the scanner. So a password is still a better option even if it's not a legal slam-dunk.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Anyone else having the CSS (I assume) break in Firefox lately?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
does anyone know what the desiccant sleeves inside probiotics bottles are made of? is it safe? it smells weird

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NotNut posted:

does anyone know what the desiccant sleeves inside probiotics bottles are made of? is it safe? it smells weird

All of the common desiccants are odourless when pure.

I assume you are familiar with silica and know it’s not that. Montmorillonite clay has broadly similar absorption characteristics is the next most common desiccant.

Calcium oxide is used sometimes in dehydrated foods. Calcium sulphate is uncommon, but if the sulphur in it founds its way into organic compounds, that might explain the smell.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Platystemon posted:

All of the common desiccants are odourless when pure.

I assume you are familiar with silica and know it’s not that. Montmorillonite clay has broadly similar absorption characteristics is the next most common desiccant.

Calcium oxide is used sometimes in dehydrated foods. Calcium sulphate is uncommon, but if the sulphur in it founds its way into organic compounds, that might explain the smell.

they said the smell is normal and due to the desiccant

here's an article about it if that gives any clues: https://www.gardenoflife.com/blog/new-innovative-shelf-stable-bottle-technology

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NotNut posted:

they said the smell is normal and due to the desiccant

here's an article about it if that gives any clues: https://www.gardenoflife.com/blog/new-innovative-shelf-stable-bottle-technology

I suspect that based on their renderings they are using CSP’s Activ-Vials. They specifically market to probiotic manufacturers.

CSP is a little vague about the chemical details.

Other companies talk about mixing molecular sieves or calcium oxide into their plastics. CSP’s graphic suggests they basically do that, with the “magic” being that plastic being porous enough for moisture to get to the desiccant material, and they don’t say what material it is.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any wireless keyboards that are ergonomic and last more than a couple of days on a pair of rechargeable batteries? I've got a Microsoft Sculpt that's pretty nice, but man does it chew through batteries like they're going out of style.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Like many people, my friend group has started a weekly movie watching event, specifically focusing on bad movies. Thus, I'm looking for recommendations of bad movies we can watch.

I've checked the Bad Movies reddit, and low rated movies on RT, and so on, but the trouble we're running into is we apparently don't actually enjoy bad movies. What we're actually looking for are movies that are... overrated and goofy? I guess?

The emblematic movie that started it all, and that embodies what we're looking for, is Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. It has good reviews and a high rating on RT but that movies has so much goofy nonsense, it was hilarious to watch through. Die Hard Dracula was another good-bad movie we enjoyed, as was Surviving the Game.

Conversely, some bad movies that absolutely weren't worth the time spent watching them were things like the ABCs of Death and Master of Disguise. The former was just unpleasant, and the latter was such a mockery of itself it left us no room to enjoy it's terribleness.

We've also watched a bunch of others that were just kind of mediocre. Not the worst to watch, but not a fun time. Things like I, Frankenstein, the Dragonball Evolution movie, and Stop or My Mom Will Shoot.

Any ideas?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

ghost dog is a great movie what the gently caress

when i think of a "so bad its good" movie the main example that comes to mind is hudson hawk. its terrible, its poorly rated and deservedly so, but its fun to watch bruce willis and danny aiello ham it up anyway. i think bruce willis wrote the songs in the movie and no one ever let him do that again

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 11, 2021

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Earwicker posted:

ghost dog is a great movie what the gently caress

:yeah: The silliest thing in that movie was the way Ghost Dog holstered his guns and it wasn’t even that egregious.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have a ring on my finger that I've worn for 26 years now and well, time has taken it's toll and I'm now fatter than I was. I noticed the ring becoming harder to take off in the past few years but now I can't take it off at all. It's not digging in or causing issues, but I can't take it off.
So, what are my options to remove it?
The ring has sentimental value, it was a present from my now dead grandad and I don't want to damage it permanently.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've done this for a few friends and it's worked pretty well. Waxed dental floss, compress the finger a bit and it should spin right off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJhynjCjgTk

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm trying to find a video or overlay effect I can use that will mimic the sort of orange/red/shadowy lighting you'd get from a campfire (like, the lighting on the area / actor's face, etc). The source video already exists, so I can't just re-film with extra lights / filters. Does anyone know of a decent program or stock effect site that might have something like this? (Paid stuff is fine.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nighthand posted:

I'm looking for recommendations of bad movies we can watch.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Two of those are legitimately good-to-very-good

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Nighthand posted:

Like many people, my friend group has started a weekly movie watching event, specifically focusing on bad movies. Thus, I'm looking for recommendations of bad movies we can watch.

I've checked the Bad Movies reddit, and low rated movies on RT, and so on, but the trouble we're running into is we apparently don't actually enjoy bad movies. What we're actually looking for are movies that are... overrated and goofy? I guess?

The emblematic movie that started it all, and that embodies what we're looking for, is Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai. It has good reviews and a high rating on RT but that movies has so much goofy nonsense, it was hilarious to watch through. Die Hard Dracula was another good-bad movie we enjoyed, as was Surviving the Game.

Conversely, some bad movies that absolutely weren't worth the time spent watching them were things like the ABCs of Death and Master of Disguise. The former was just unpleasant, and the latter was such a mockery of itself it left us no room to enjoy it's terribleness.

We've also watched a bunch of others that were just kind of mediocre. Not the worst to watch, but not a fun time. Things like I, Frankenstein, the Dragonball Evolution movie, and Stop or My Mom Will Shoot.

Any ideas?

Cutthroat Island: the movie so expensive and so underwhelming that it single handedly killed the pirate genre for the best part of two decades. In some sequences you can just see the dollars being burned in gigantic unnecessary pyrotechnics. It's awful, but kind of fun in its awfulness.

Great soundtrack too.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Nighthand posted:

Any ideas?

Reindeer Games
The Last Boy scout
Hudson Hawk

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Flash Gordon (the 1980 movie) exists in an odd position of bad and also pretty enjoyable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

regulargonzalez posted:

Two of those are legitimately good-to-very-good

Which two?

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

So I married an axe murderer is loving great

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The best good 'bad' movie I've watched somewhat recently was Zombeavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Flash Gordon (the 1980 movie) exists in an odd position of bad and also pretty enjoyable.

This so hard. Plus post/handle combination.

Also, you should watch Gabriele Salvatore's Nirvana. I think it's great but others think it's bad. It's 2h long tho.