Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Desperado Bones posted:

That's what I'm trying to get. I don't know what's the time line for the movie, but if it's right after Wandavision, or a few weeks after the happening in Westview, then he is freshly coming back from the blip. poo poo could be a mess on his side. I dunno. People are just wondering why that hasn't been even a blip on their radar, when Loki was like super alert serious business, but I guess were are gonna find out during the movie. :shrug:

I'm not angry that my dumb and mostly joke theories didn't come true. It's just that the writing for this episode was kinda bad in some parts.

I mean, Strange said Loki was on a watchlist so I guess he got an alert when Loki showed up. He's gonna have to do an update and add Wanda to the list later. But yeah, its weeks after he's been gone for 5 years and reality's been rewritten a couple of times and the foundational stones of power in the universe have been destroyed, returned, and removed again. The office is probably a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Man, this is the series I’ve been looking forward to the most and it’s almost completely because of their chemistry in Civil War.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

"We look drat good."

Thats what working out get ya.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah it really was in parts. I had a feeling it would be. There were a lot of things to tie off with a bow. Still it hung together well-enough that I wasn't disappointed and as part of the whole series I felt very satisfied.

Like someone said in this thread, a 10th episode would had been great. Just split the ending in two parts and the story would have had chance to breath. Less loose ends. But anyways, I was about to cry/crying in certain parts, they got me very emotional and cared about the characters a lot, that's a big plus. Vision and White Vision's was so great. I saw comments in Twitter of people complaining that why they didn't beat the poo poo out of each other. But come on, Vision would totally sit down with his double and have a philosophical chat. And then exchange dad jokes.

My Face When posted:

"We look drat good."

Thats what working out get ya.

drat, Mackie's arm is huge in that thumbnail.

Edit: Hey, it seems Don Cheadle was cast for the show. We are probably gonna get some Rhodey :holy:

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 7, 2021

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

SirSamVimes posted:

Did all the people who kramer into the thread with a hot take along the lines of "Well, guess being mean to a protagonist is illegal now!!!" actually watch the show?

The guy stole the remains of Vision, doctored footage to frame Wanda for it, and resurrected a man whose dying wish was to not be "rebuilt". The entire reason that Vision signed the Sokovian Accords was that it would grant him personhood, and therefore the right to chooes to not be repaired if he died as if he were just a broken machine.

edit: spoiler tags added in accordance with the 72 hour accords

He was definitely mustache twirling evil, but rebuilding Vision seems like something the government would absolutely sanction.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ghostwritingduck posted:

He was definitely mustache twirling evil, but rebuilding Vision seems like something the government would absolutely sanction.
Someone pointed out that it is a realistic, banal type of evil. Some people are just like that-- assholes who expect to get whatever they want because they're in-charge and used to getting what they want.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ghostwritingduck posted:

It was explained in one of the episodes that reactivating Vision would be a violation of the accords. They lay it on fairly thick exactly why Hayward is getting arrested in the show, his whole plan was to succeed in making Wanda the patsy so he could get away with what he did.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, this is the series I’ve been looking forward to the most and it’s almost completely because of their chemistry in Civil War.

Yeah, i rewatched civil war and TWS this week and their chemistry is really great. It looks like the chemistry will be played for laughs and i have a feeling the trust between the two will be a good development.

I wasnt really that interested at first, but with how much i enjoyed wandavision, im looking forward to it.

It'll be nice to see more war machine. Don Cheadle is a great actor and always a pleasure to watch.

My Face When fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 7, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just watched Iron Man 2 for the first time in a decade and.. Don Cheadle just straight up takes an Iron Man suit, slaps a gun on the shoulder and calls himself War Machine huh.

e: That film also has the most neolib politics of any superhero film including all the Batmans. The bad politician wants the billionaire to give up his personal WMDs. Tony is definitely a good man because he just keeps and uses his WMDs himself instead of selling them. He's so drat smart and right about everything so yes he should definitely be trusted to keep all the WMDs in his garage.

stev fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 7, 2021

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
After recent, events, the idea of a rich person being completely and openly above the law is no longer unbelievable.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

stev posted:

e: That film also has the most neolib politics of any superhero film including all the Batmans. The bad politician wants the billionaire to give up his personal WMDs. Tony is definitely a good man because he just keeps and uses his WMDs himself instead of selling them. He's so drat smart and right about everything so yes he should definitely be trusted to keep all the WMDs in his garage.
I would kill to know wtf the writing process was for that movie. Like did Perlmutter sit in on the script? It honestly feels like it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

stev posted:

I just watched Iron Man 2 for the first time in a decade and.. Don Cheadle just straight up takes an Iron Man suit, slaps a gun on the shoulder and calls himself War Machine huh.

Then he makes an even bigger WMD with Ultron! And nothing happens!

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

I would kill to know wtf the writing process was for that movie. Like did Perlmutter sit in on the script? It honestly feels like it.

It was written by Justin Theroux coming off of Tropic Thunder so Downey presumably had a big hand in it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bioshuffle posted:

They can still give her a redemption arc down the line.

I really enjoyed the first half of the show when I had no idea what was going on. Once they laid all the cards on the table, I feel like the quality of the show took a nosedive.

If they wanted to make her not bad, they would have had her apologize or shown remorse. As it stands, she terrorized an entire town and just ran away. Is Thanos considered a hero now because the people he erased came back?

Wanda is basically Team Rocket at the end of the episode when they run away.

she's not going to be redeemed because the show doesn't see her has needing redeemed. wanda sacrificing her family and accepting the hate of westview is supposed to make up for her actions over the course of the show, hence the aforementioned "they'll never know what you gave up" line from monica.

The X-man cometh posted:

Wanda isn't the bad guy, it's not that kind of show

her being a villain also severely limits what they can do for her character in future movies and television shows

STAC Goat posted:

That seems like an incredibly bad comparison considering Thanos didn't show remorse and try and undo what he did once he was confronted with the horror of it, he decided he should double down and kill everyone.

And that's kind of the rub. I can appreciate people who feel like Wanda should have done more, but to say she didn't show remorse is utterly ignoring everything leading up to that final scene to instead read things into the final lines or looks. Wanda spent weeks being confronted by what she was done and showing remorse and guilt. The last sitcom episode was gimmicked around her feeling completely guilty and depressed. There was a big scene in the finale where she's confronted by the towns people contradicting her rationalizations and IMMEDIATELY expresses regret decides to remove the Hex and free them. Then she unilaterally decides to sacrifice her family to free everyone. She's not the hero and she's not the victim, but she clearly showed a ton of remorse and guilt. ONE character expressed empathy towards her and people are treating that like the only thing that happened.

the last sitcom episode was her being depressed because vision became self-aware, began to see through the facade of her reality, and left. the show becomes "wanda" instead of "wandavision" because vision is absent from her life. she's upset that the scheme to bring him back to her appears to have failed, not that she hurt people. as for the finale, wanda does not "immediately express regret." she rationalizes her actions, saying she "kept them safe" and "kept them happy" as the people of the town insist that she did not. it is not until after they start begging for them to kill her that she starts undoing the Hex, a decision which she immediately reverses on when she realizes it will mean the end of her family. she eventually does do the "right thing" after the big laser battle but it takes her a very long time for her to get there.

but even assuming i accept all your characterizations, ,acknowledging you did something wrong is necessary but not sufficient to reconciliation. reconciliation depends on acts of penance.

live with fruit posted:

Monica isn't the surrogate. She's a genuine superhero. Jimmy and Darcy are more the surrogates.

a surrogate doesn't need to literally have the same capabilities as the audience. it just needs to be a character that the writers use to convey the ideas that they want the audience to feel. throughout the series, monica constantly serves this role by reminding the cast and the audience that wanda is a good person, is in pain, and doesn't mean to do what she is doing.

XboxPants posted:

Oh definitely! Like I wouldn't be debating this so much if I thought there was no debate to be had. Like I love the little vicious smirk she has when she tells Agatha how she's going to sentence her to a lifetime of torture, and Agatha calls her out for being cruel.

i mean, to be entirely fair, trapping someone inside their brain for eternity while their body pantomimes about like a sitcom character is an extremely cruel fate. i have absolutely no confidence that will stick (gotta get hahn in more movies and shows) but the implication is extremely cruel even when used on a cruel person.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
Hulk and Winter Soldier both outright murder people because they are not in full control of their powers. Neither of them really publicly atone or go through any redemptive process. They just sulk and brood on their own in space or Wakanda. They briefly touch upon the ethics, but only until the next threat shows up.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I just watched Dr Strange yesterday and caught a line I missed (or just forgot) where he was offered to do the surgery on Rhodes after the crushed suit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ravel posted:

Hulk and Winter Soldier both outright murder people because they are not in full control of their powers. Neither of them really publicly atone or go through any redemptive process. They just sulk and brood on their own in space or Wakanda. They briefly touch upon the ethics, but only until the next threat shows up.

Filmmaking 101: Women need to atone for their emotional crimes. Men brood and murder.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mage_Boy posted:

I just watched Dr Strange yesterday and caught a line I missed (or just forgot) where he was offered to do the surgery on Rhodes after the crushed suit.
Nah there was a weird whole "thing" in the marketing. Apparently it's supposed to be one of the Soldiers in Iron Man 2 using the faulty Hammer suits who gets his spine twisted that Stark puts on display in Congress.

In the MCU up until Endgame all movies take place roughly around the year they were released, so Doctor Strange is around 2017. Iron Man 2 is in 2010. In Endgame the Ancient One in 2012 says to Hulk "you're about 5 years too early" when he says he's looking for Stephen Strange at the Sanctum Sanctorum.

Rhodes crushed his suit around 2016.

So yeah.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Ravel posted:

QuoProQuid posted:

I think this is an attempt to own me as a misogynist but: A.) I have not seen these movies as I'm not a Marvel fan and only watched WandaVision because I love old sit-coms; and B.) The kinds of actions you describe here are obviously unacceptable.

I think the superhero genre runs into these issues a lot, the implication that their vigilantism is probably leading to a lot of unnecessary death, violence, and destruction. Most of movies in the genre straight-up ignore these implications and go for a grand scale because it would spark the exact questions that we're discussing now, questions that get in the way of the themes and ideas that filmmakers are more interested in. WandaVision, by contrast, chose to explicitly and intimately depict the horrors of superheroism; it makes the audience intimately aware that Wanda was intentionally or unintentionally torturing folks across its run. Given how much it centers this violence, I don't think people are out of bounds to point it out and be horrified by the lack of any meaningful recompense.

tl;dr summary: wandavision wants to have its surreal horror cake and eat it too but in doing so they kind of force the audience to confront wanda's actions

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Everyone posted:

Doesn't Strange say at one point that the job of the Sorcerer Supreme is to protect the entire Earth Dimension from mystical threats? Like, the whole loving universe plus some extra weird poo poo thrown in. Isn't it possible/probably that Strange and the other sorcerers are busy with other poo poo and that the unpleasant (but not currently fatal) thing happening in New Jersey is kind of small ball compared to, perhaps, stopping not-Cthulhu from eating a planet with billions of sentient people on it?

Probably but Wanda is now literally reading not-Cthulhu's Big Book of Bad Magic so they'd have a good reason to pay her a visit as soon as they hear about it.

Anyway, I wasn't really into the typical CGI flying around fighting and shooting beams at each other stuff but did love both the resolution to the duelling synthezoids and the runes reveal. And while there were a few other things about the finale that didn't really work for me (Darcy's blink and miss it arrival, the nonsense with Hayward: Would Be Kid Killer, anything with Monica and Fietro) I think it hit the main emotional beats it needed to. I'd also agree with those saying there's not a lot Wanda could really say or do to make amends to the people of Westview, I'd expect they'd just want her the gently caress out of their lives asap so the whole 'witch driven out/fleeing the angry community' thing felt appropriate at least (and when word gets out, it could certainly serve as a credible starting point for suspicion and distrust if further such incidents occur as/when mutants pop up unleashing wild poo poo on your doorstep). All she can do is strive to make sure it never happens again, and actually I kinda like the idea that Wanda might have a touch of the Constantines about her anyway - someone whose heart and intent is in the right place but invariably leaves a trail of devastation in their wake.

So yeah, didn't nail the landing but overall, I still dug the series and loved Olsen and Bettany in it. Have just gone through a crushing loss like Monica's myself (minus blips, lovely bosses and cool superpowers), I'd be lying if I said a series so heavily focused on grief was exactly what I wanted going in yet now it's over, I will miss it.

Oh yeah: lol at them sneaking in a tiny wee Magneto motif in the headdress, the shameless teases just never end.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Sentinel Red posted:

Probably but Wanda is now literally reading not-Cthulhu's Big Book of Bad Magic so they'd have a good reason to pay her a visit as soon as they hear about it.

He didn’t bother showing up the last two times the book popped up, you would think Morgan le Fay alone would be worth checking out. So I’m either going for the No Prize answer that the Darkhold clouds his vision, or maybe he’s just not very good at his job.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Edmund Lava posted:

He didn’t bother showing up the last two times the book popped up, you would think Morgan le Fay alone would be worth checking out. So I’m either going for the No Prize answer that the Darkhold clouds his vision, or maybe he’s just not very good at his job.

I had to look up who that was. Are the pre-D+ series' still considered canon or are they Star War Legends now?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Edmund Lava posted:

Maybe those other times weren't the "real" Darkhold and were more like the copy of the Necronomicon I bought at Waldenbooks when I was in middle school.

In any case it seems like Agatha had the thing for a few centuries at least, so either every Sorcerer Supreme sucks at what they do or the damned thing can hide itself - or just be hidden. Agatha seemed to know her poo poo, spell wise.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

stev posted:

I had to look up who that was. Are the pre-D+ series' still considered canon or are they Star War Legends now?

I don't see why Darkhold in Agent Carter (which definitely is canon, Jarvis is in it), AOS (also features Carter) and Runaways wouldn't be canon. But just like actual comics, you probably shouldn't think about it too hard. You could always say "oh this was a different Darkhold/it was a book mistaken as darkhold" or something.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the Darkhold in AOS is actually kept. As based on that series, extensively reading the thing is not a good idea if you're trying to not be a genocidal maniac.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I mean honestly how many mcu movies nail their ending? I feel Infinity War spoiled us for that bit most of the time the endings are literally forgettable.

Off the top of my head the only other memorable ones are GotG, Dr. Strange, and uh. That's it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thundercracker posted:

I mean honestly how many mcu movies nail their ending? I feel Infinity War spoiled us for that bit most of the time the endings are literally forgettable.

Off the top of my head the only other memorable ones are GotG, Dr. Strange, and uh. That's it

GotG2 has the one really loving good ending outside of Infinity War (the fireworks, not the fight with Kurt Russel).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't see why Darkhold in Agent Carter (which definitely is canon, Jarvis is in it), AOS (also features Carter) and Runaways wouldn't be canon. But just like actual comics, you probably shouldn't think about it too hard. You could always say "oh this was a different Darkhold/it was a book mistaken as darkhold" or something.

It'll be interesting to see how much of the Darkhold in AOS is actually kept. As based on that series, extensively reading the thing is not a good idea if you're trying to not be a genocidal maniac.

In AOS Coulson states that the Darkhold changes appearance over time and to suit the reader, he even shows an archive photo of what it looked like in the past, so it's easy to write around the new look

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

stev posted:

Don't forget Elon Musk showing up in it; meanwhile they cut Ghostface Killer showing up in the original Iron Man movie

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

notthegoatseguy posted:

One thing that recently just occurred to me is that Wanda hearing the voices of her kids crying for help could easily be the Darkhold loving with her and trying to push her into doing something evil/destructive to try to get them back.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I really enjoyed the ending and actually appreciated everything being contained to the plot at hand. It's obvious how it leads straight into Dr. Strange 2, but they didn't rely on twists to get the job done.

I'm also in awe of how cleverly they hosed with online fan theories and absolutely left all of them burned to the ground. The dude who runs ScreenCrush has to be devastated because he fell hard on sword of X-Men connections.

I even appreciated that even in the MCU, sometimes a regular dude can just be a raging piece of poo poo without being puppeteered by possession or whatever. Hayward was just a dirt bag with power, and that's it. Even in the X-Men, oftentimes their deadliest villains were regular people with resources to harm them.

And since it was explained in the prior episode I won't spoiler it, but i like Wanda's backstory in the MCU more than any of her comics ones. I also like that her name, Scarlett Witch, has real meaning. And not just a reference to "well she's got these magic powers, we guess, and wears red..."

So I enjoyed it. Can't wait for Multiverse of Madness.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked Screencrush's easter egg videos but holy poo poo do they fall for every theory and read way too much into these easter eggs.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thundercracker posted:

Just rip off PS4 Spider-Man. Have SWORD show up next with power fists, jet packs, and pulse rifles. It's one of those suspension of disbelief things where the US govt would never not make it a priority with full bipartisan support.
PS4 Spider-Man is weird because it sort of tacitly supports the idea that organized crime is necessary because NYC was better off with Kingpin in charge. I know you're not supposed to agree with JJJ's broadcasts, but the campaign makes it hard to disagree that Spider-Man makes everything worse by putting Fisk away.

BurritoJustice posted:

In AOS Coulson states that the Darkhold changes appearance over time and to suit the reader, he even shows an archive photo of what it looked like in the past, so it's easy to write around the new look
I'm 100% fine with "It got a different cover because magic" and/or "It caters its appearance to whoever reads/uses it". Why wouldn't it? It's literally an evil demon hellbook. Nothing here really directly contradicts the other shows, at least not to the point where I have to jump through giant hoops to get there. I'm only slightly miffed that the cool metal band font on the cover isn't there anymore, but I can deal with it.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The gag casting reveal of Evan Peters felt very Ocean's Twelve to me.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

mind the walrus posted:

Nah there was a weird whole "thing" in the marketing. Apparently it's supposed to be one of the Soldiers in Iron Man 2 using the faulty Hammer suits who gets his spine twisted that Stark puts on display in Congress.

In the MCU up until Endgame all movies take place roughly around the year they were released, so Doctor Strange is around 2017. Iron Man 2 is in 2010. In Endgame the Ancient One in 2012 says to Hulk "you're about 5 years too early" when he says he's looking for Stephen Strange at the Sanctum Sanctorum.

Rhodes crushed his suit around 2016.

So yeah.

I think they reference Dr.Strange in Captain America: The Winter Solider.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Everyone posted:

One thing that recently just occurred to me is that Wanda hearing the voices of her kids crying for help could easily be the Darkhold loving with her and trying to push her into doing something evil/destructive to try to get them back.

I agree with you and I feel like it connects heavily to what Agatha said about spells. "Once cast a spell can never be undone." Obviously the kids ceased to exist phyiscally when the Hex disappeared but she did create two living, sentient beings.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
From Infinity War when Banner brings up the idea to seperate Vision from the Mind Stone he says "Your mind is made up of a complex construct of of overlays: Jarvis, Ultron, Tony, Me, the Stone. All of them mixed together, all of them learning from one another." and "I'm saying that, if we take out the stone there is still a whole lot of Vision left, perhaps the best parts."

I think the future is bright for white vision.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Geo Fixer posted:

I think they reference Dr.Strange in Captain America: The Winter Solider.

Stephen Strange is noted as being one of the targets for the Deathgun-carriers.

Cage Kicker posted:

I agree with you and I feel like it connects heavily to what Agatha said about spells. "Once cast a spell can never be undone." Obviously the kids ceased to exist phyiscally when the Hex disappeared but she did create two living, sentient beings.

Does she say it that way? I thought Agatha said that once a spell is cast it can't be altered/changed. Basically the fuckups Wanda built into the Hex can't be fixed unless she takes it down (which would kill her family) and then maybe casts it again. I think "all spells are somehow permanent" gives magic a little too much "ooomph" compared to other super-stuff.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

My girl Agatha got done dirty. She deserves to be chilling at her own lakeside cabin trying to put her life back together.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ror posted:

My girl Agatha got done dirty. She deserves to be chilling at her own lakeside cabin trying to put her life back together.

She's had hundreds of years to get her poo poo together, it's someone else's turn.

Finale should have just been Gabriel Luna rolling into town, grabbing the darkhold, flipping off Agatha and Wanda, and rolling back out without saying a word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

stev posted:

GotG2 has the one really loving good ending outside of Infinity War (the fireworks, not the fight with Kurt Russel).

True. Though "Father and Son" does a lot of that work. Really, the whole soundtrack is just perfectly matched for the accompanying scenes.