Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sup crew what's the buzz on the bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

FNG got sucked through a dimensional vortex and was never seen again. Data attempted to mathematically define friendship. Wesley's science experiment almost destroyed the main computer. Pretty slow duty watch, you didn't miss much.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Timby posted:

Discovery was announced to be in the Prime timeline right around the time that the first premise / story details were announced. That's one of the reasons the second season ended with Spock's absurd plan of "uh, okay, we're going to say the Discovery blew up, and we pinky swear not to discuss the Discovery, the spore drive or the batshit insane AI we just defeated with anyone, ever, under penalty of treason," it was to lampshade why the ship and its tech never came up in prior series.

Edit: Pike also sees his destiny of going from original recipe to extra crispy, as opposed to dying in a conference room shootout straight out of The Godfather Part III. Discovery is Prime, not Kelvin.

Oh yeah. i double checked something and I mis-remembered that them mentioning the Narada in Disco was noting that a dude popped over from another universe.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Sup crew what's the buzz on the bridge

Worf farted and Wesley thought life support had stopped.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Worf farted and Wesley thought life support had stopped.

I could easily see Wesley shouting "Red alert!" after Worf just rips one at Tactical.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Imagine the captain(s) of Discovery having this talk with Michael.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMKtKNZw4Bo

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's so weird seeing members of Starfleet taking criticism professionally and constructively while still maintaining healthy relationships with each other.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Michael would pout, do what she wanted anyway, and then be vindicated in the end.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Astroman posted:

Michael would pout, do what she wanted anyway, and then be vindicated in the end.

Pout? Try cry. Then the heavens would part and space god would kiss her on the forehead and tell her everything was okay.

Seriously do the writers of DISCO have some estranged daughter issues or something?

Edit - and somehow all of this is still better than Star Trek Picard

The General
Mar 4, 2007

https://imgur.com/RraHEfj.mp4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Go home, Miles, you’re drunk...er than usual.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

jeeves posted:

Pout? Try cry. Then the heavens would part and space god would kiss her on the forehead and tell her everything was okay.

Seriously do the writers of DISCO have some estranged daughter issues or something?

Edit - and somehow all of this is still better than Star Trek Picard
I agree with basically all of the criticisms but there’s still something I like about Sonequa Martin-Green. Just not most of what her character does.

Maybe just residual from liking the scene where she logics the computer into letting her out of the cell in the first episode.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

8one6 posted:

It's so weird seeing members of Starfleet taking criticism professionally and constructively while still maintaining healthy relationships with each other.

The TOS episode "Obsession" is another great example. Spock and Bones are concerned that Kirk is pursuing the dikironium cloud creature beyond all reason, so they confront him in his quarters. Kirk sits down, listens to their concerns, and then explains why he's acting the way he is. Everyone comes away feeling better about the quality of command on the ship.

Contrast that with "Lonely Among Us", where they spent most of the episode dithering about whether Picard was acting strangely and what should be done before it was too late.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Contrast that with "Lonely Among Us", where they spent most of the episode dithering about whether Picard was acting strangely and what should be done before it was too late.

Yeah, eat the Selay ambassador. :yum:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, eat the Selay ambassador. :yum:

That episode might as well have ended with everyone erupting in laughter, and then freeze framing as the credits roll over it after they find out an ambassador had been murdered and eaten.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The only worse ending to an episode is "The Ultimate Computer", where at least one (?) other Constitution class starship has been destroyed by M-5 and they close the episode having a laugh over something Spock said (iirc).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The only worse ending to an episode is "The Ultimate Computer", where at least one (?) other Constitution class starship has been destroyed by M-5 and they close the episode having a laugh over something Spock said (iirc).

I'll see you and raise you "The Changeling". That episode opens with an entire planet, four billion people, being killed, and still ends on the bridge crew laughing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

I'll see you and raise you "The Changeling". That episode opens with an entire planet, four billion people, being killed, and still ends on the bridge crew laughing.

A slightly different shade of tone deaf: "Plato's Stepchildren". They spend the entire episode assuring Alexander, "We don't care what you look like! You're valuable to us as a person!".

Then we get to the end of the episode, and Alexander wants to beam onto the Enterprise to see the ship, and Kirk makes the "a little surprise for you" crack. It's funny, but in a 'who thought this would be a clever way to close out this episode?' way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pascallion posted:

I agree with basically all of the criticisms but there’s still something I like about Sonequa Martin-Green. Just not most of what her character does.

Maybe just residual from liking the scene where she logics the computer into letting her out of the cell in the first episode.

She is a very good actor and hey, I’ll even say she acts sad incredibly well which is probably part of why it happens so often. But happening so often has robbed it of any impact. To use your example it’s be like if someone logic’ed there way past a computer every episode.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Man, the only thing worse than watching Voyager to keep up with Greatest Gen is watching the wrong loving episode. I kept wondering why they were still looking for coffee and when Neelix's lungs were gonna get ganked.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They need to give Trek the Police Squad treatment then because every episode there ends with people laughing and a freeze frame

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Binary Badger posted:

They need to give Trek the Police Squad treatment then because every episode there ends with people laughing and a freeze frame
Including the episodes where Yeoman Rand gets sexually assaulted

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
"There are four lights!" Then jump cut to Riker and troi laughing at data freeze frame

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think there will even be a second season of Star Trek Picard?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Sure, they're filming it and everything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pascallion posted:

It's the same thing Janeway got stuck with. She's a perfectly fine actor doing a good job, she's just being fed poo poo by the writers most of the time.

Every once in a while they let her cut loose and show some range, like the drug scene in the first S3 episode, and she reminds you that oh yeah, she's good at this, the character problems aren't her fault.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Do you think there will even be a second season of Star Trek Picard?

Of course. God hates us.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I thought that was more that Nick Meyer didn't care for Robin Curtis's performance.

Correct. Meyer is the one who wrote Saavik as being half-Romulan (there's no "apparently" about it, the dialogue was shot and exists in the workprint at UCLA and in the ShoWest trailer that was shown to exhibitors), and he didn't care for what Nimoy did with her, not did he like Curtis' take on a full Vulcan. He wanted Alley back for VI, but at that point she was a big TV and movie star, and her salary demands were, depending on who you ask, either close or equal to Shatner's $5 million, which would have blown the movie's budget to smithereens (remember that Shatner had already taken a $1 million pay cut for the movie). So Meyer could recast the character yet again, or he could write a new one. He chose the latter, which is how Valeris came to be.

They almost didn't get Cattrall for Valeris, either. She got the script when the character was still Saavik, as Meyer hadn't gotten his rewrites done, and Cattrall had no desire to play a character that had been portrayed by two other actors already. Meyer had to convince her that Valeris was completely new, and so Cattrall pushed for Valeris to have a distinctive look (the bob haircut and not having the Starfleet sideburns, for example).

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
She further pissed people off by doing a nude photoshoot on the bridge set. I'm she was in 100% IDGAF mode though, even before landing her gig on Sex in the City.

Star Trek The Motion Picture talk:

Is it weird that as I get older I appreciate Star Trek TMP a lot more? Do other peeps have a similar feeling? I dunno, I definitely forgive the slowness and weird costumes for it actually being a loving good Star Trek story, especially timely with Voyager I and II just launching 2 years before. Plus it still felt like Earth only had like, a dozen ships or something from the TV series (and they'd all take so long to get back to Earth), so the Enterprise being the only one to deal with V'ger kinda checks out. On top of it all, it did the whole "Kirk misses being in command of the Enterprise" thing a bit better than STII did.

It's like how as a kid I thought 1977 Star Wars was slow and boring compared to the faster pew pew of Return of the Jedi and such. Only to later realize "oh wow, it was loving groundbreaking." TMP feels that way, esp with all of those damns sets alone reused for 25+ years after - the corridors and engineering alone got reused all the way to like what Star Trek Enterprise? Plus that loving Enterprise refit model looks amazing.

I mean, I totally get that Khan is a lot better of a film, from like, excitement and pacing. It's just sad that like, Star Trek turned into somewhat action films. TMP was definitely trying something else, even if it didn't really work out well.

Too bad everyone's costume wasn't as cool as Kirk's admiral getup. Also when they go into red alert mode like little headrests and arm leg braces to keep people secure pop up. Man. That was neat. I could gush and gush about all of the little design details and poo poo that seem to go unappreciated due to it "being the boring movie"

jeeves fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 8, 2021

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Star Trek the Cruise livestream is up right now. Pretty much just an ad for next year's cruise since it was cancelled this year, but it's about the only official convention event you can expect for the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz1ALtlHp6Q

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

jeeves posted:

She further pissed people off by doing a nude photoshoot on the bridge set. I'm she was in 100% IDGAF mode though, even before landing her gig on Sex in the City.

Is it weird that as I get older I appreciate Star Trek TMP a lot more? Do other peeps have a similar feeling? I dunno, I definitely forgive the slowness and weird costumes for it actually being a loving good Star Trek story, especially timely with Voyager I and II just launching 2 years before. Plus it still felt like Earth only had like, a dozen ships or something from the TV series (and they'd all take so long to get back to Earth), so the Enterprise being the only one to deal with V'ger kinda checks out. On top of it all, it did the whole "Kirk misses being in command of the Enterprise" thing a bit better than STII did.

It's like how as a kid I thought 1977 Star Wars was slow and boring compared to the faster pew pew of Return of the Jedi and such. Only to later realize "oh wow, it was loving groundbreaking." TMP feels that way, esp with all of those damns sets alone reused for 25+ years after - the corridors and engineering alone got reused all the way to like what Star Trek Enterprise? Plus that loving Enterprise refit model looks amazing.

I mean, I totally get that Khan is a lot better of a film, from like, excitement and pacing. It's just sad that like, Star Trek turned into somewhat action films. TMP was definitely trying something else, even if it didn't really work out well.

Too bad everyone's costume wasn't as cool as Kirk's admiral getup. Also when they go into red alert mode like little headrests and arm leg braces to keep people secure pop up. Man. That was neat. I could gush and gush about all of the little design details and poo poo that seem to go unappreciated due to it "being the boring movie"

No, I get you. TMP is an acquired taste, but it's not a bad movie at all. One reason that 2001 is one of my favorite movies is that it's slow-paced. In a world of explosion-y summer blockbuster films that zip from action scene to action scene, a slower movie that takes time to build can be a relief.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

TMP has a lot going for it, very much so, and there's about 80 percent of an amazing movie in there buried underneath a ton of cruft. Its reach far exceeds its grasp, and I'd say a large part of that is due to beginning production without a locked third act, and Roddenberry and Harold Livingston hating each other so goddamn much that they had rewrites of each other's script pages hitting the sound stages so frequently that it reached the point that Bob Wise would have absolutely no goddamn idea what version of what scene he was supposed to be shooting, which of course would cause production to come to a halt for the morning or afternoon as Wise and others would try to get a handle on just what the gently caress was going on. Then, of course, wash, rinse, spin, and it would all repeat the next day. (That's how Shatner and Nimoy got involved in rewriting the third act; their contracts gave them script input if principal photography ran beyond a certain number of days, and that limit was exceeded pretty quickly because of all the script fuckery.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really don't think TMP is a good movie, and the actual plot in the movie does not justify endless scenes of exterior shots inside of V'Ger that feel like they go on for hours. It also never really felt at all like TOS to me. It's just so incredibly sterile and lifeless at times that I just have no real desire to ever rewatch it again.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I just read the entirety of Memory Alpha’s article on the production of TMP to go along with my thoughts on the wall of text I posted above.

All I can say is jeez.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

I just read the entirety of Memory Alpha’s article on the production of TMP to go along with my thoughts on the wall of text I posted above.

All I can say is jeez.

Even M-A's tome isn't exhaustive. If you're curious, I highly recommend Return to Tomorrow: The Filming of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, by Preston Neal Jones. Jones was a Cinefantastique stringer who was given complete and unfettered access to pre-production, principal photography and post-production, and he was allowed to interview literally everyone involved. Eventually, what was supposed to be a Cinefantastique cover story just became way too big, and the story was killed.

However, Jones got the publishing rights to his manuscript and the oral history was published in book form, nearly 700 pages, a few years back, and it was also released in Kindle format last year (which is nice, because the book is out of print and goes for silly high prices on the secondhand market, though I've seen it at my library). There's so much stuff in there that was previously unknown except to a few people, and you really get an idea of how addled Roddenberry's mind was even by the 1970s (hint: it was a lot).

Highly recommended read.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 8, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TMP doesn’t feel like TOS and it isn’t trying to. It’s doing a Big Production the way the show never could. Part of the appeal of the movie for me is how audacious and weird a reimagining it is. The actors are the same and the characters are recognizable, but everything else has changed. It’s a standout. It’s a crazy movie and doesn’t give a gently caress.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The real question is, if TMP
hadn't gone all in on completely reworking the tone of TOS, how might that had affected the rest of the movies?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't think TMP is a good movie, and the actual plot in the movie does not justify endless scenes of exterior shots inside of V'Ger that feel like they go on for hours. It also never really felt at all like TOS to me. It's just so incredibly sterile and lifeless at times that I just have no real desire to ever rewatch it again.

If you're watching it as Star Trek, the voyage through VGER doesn't do much beyond waste time. But if you're watching it as a cultural artifact and as an audio-visual experience, it's really good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm just glad that Wrath of Khan was the one that had the major impact and not TMP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

At least Wrath of Khan was a sequel to an episode rather than a remake of one. The concept of TMP is extremely Star Trek though (it and TFF probably the most so of all the films imo), and both have some really good stuff in them, they just didn't bring it all together.