Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
For steep grades don’t try and go straight up the grade, turn almost horizontal but still aimed slightly up the grade and build speed then turn hard the other direction about 150 degrees and slant up that way. Just cut back and forth like that and you’ll make a decent speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's kinda cool how sailing and building roads against elevation both optimally work by doing zig-zags.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

Oh ya, you'd have to been 100% insane to try and drag a cart UP the mountain, even empty. With out going into a long story, the rng blessed me with a cluster of veins, and hosed me by putting them on the worst possible side of the mountain.

Mostly what I'm trying to bring to cart chat is agreement that they're mostly useless, but also on occasion really really useful time savers. I discounted them for too long until I got into the ship/portal/cart combo mindset. You don't always need all three but, I think a lot of people try them at the start of the bronze age and write them off because they suck and forget they exist.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because as soon as I unlocked the cart I've used it constantly. I roll through the biome building a road and stripping the place bare as I go

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I used a cart on my last silver mining trip. I built the cart at my mountain tower camp, loaded all the ore into it and kicked it down the cliffside. Took only like a minute of searching to find the cargo crates scattered around at the bottom after the cart disintegrated.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's as tall as it will go without falling down :v:

I like that the game basically encourages you to build Unreal levels.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 7, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Those are some nice neat shelves.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

Jarmak posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because as soon as I unlocked the cart I've used it constantly. I roll through the biome building a road and stripping the place bare as I go

I think this is the problem a lot of people, myself included, have. We didn't think to build roads. The large island I'm on now is crisscrossed with low effort paths. Even when I did think about building paths, at first it sounded like a lot of work when reality is run in a line with the hoe spamming level terrain. It actually surprised me how easy it was and I regret not doing it sooner.

Viking industry demands the black forest be turned into the black plains.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

Those are some nice neat shelves.

If you use the tiny wood poles they actually fit a basic chest perfectly, I assume that's intentional because yeah, you can fill a wall with shelving that way.

E: also I wish the game had the option to build waterproof wood, just make it cost more but I hate having to thatch everything, wood floors don't even shelter things below them.

Make it use resin, would give you a use for the giant piles of it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 7, 2021

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Uhhh, I just got back to my far away corpse and longship but my portal I created isn't connected to my home base's portal... ffffuuuck what's going on? Pretty sure I didn't change the tag and I'm not using the wrong one (I don't have any other portals).

*edit* Corrected my sentence there - my portal isn't connecting.

Got back to my base, portal was the same name I had been using. I wonder if I left another portal open somewhere and didn't dismantle it...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A group trying to get a cart of silver off the top of a mountain is like viking qwop. It's hilarious and everyone should try it once.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Doh004 posted:

Got back to my base, portal was the same name I had been using. I wonder if I left another portal open somewhere and didn't dismantle it...

See if you can go through it, obviously. Also capitalization matters, doesn't it? Did you check that?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

pik_d posted:

See if you can go through it, obviously. Also capitalization matters, doesn't it? Did you check that?

Yep went through it, never took down the portal from when I killed the Elder.

Ugh, that was annoying.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Usually smelt new metals at a brand new outpost on-site to forge into stuff that can go through portals, but now I mostly need iron for forge improvements and decoration so I took a little longboat and portal trip around the ocean.

This will last me awhile.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
This is how you hatch these, right?

Carts are very yes. Carts and paths make iron farming tolerable. Getting a longship full of metal back to base, offloading to your cart, and wheeling it all back to the smelters is so damned immersive. When I'm out farming wood and stone, I just pull it behind me the whole time like a rickshaw. You can even access the storage while still hitched to it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I think you need to walk naked into a bonfire while carrying them.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
The proper way to cart is to have a two-viking team. First of all you'll generally, but not always, notice that mountains are pushed up against Black Forest biomes that are very uneven and difficult to drag a 2000lb+ (kilo?) cart along. Weight matters and uneven terrain is your enemy. Or so it was for me when I was dropping f-bombs and throwing my cart down a mountain earlier this week (it takes 25%-40% damage from a fall that you can see the curve of the world from).

Step 1:
One viking stands on top of the full cart and puts the vast majority up to all of the metal ore into their inventory, light years beyond being encumbered. And now just stands still for the rest of the journey.
Step2:
The next viking steps into the driver seat of the nearly weightless cart and wheels it around at hyper speed up steep slopes, needing only to be wary of shrubbery and small rocks that the cart might get stuck on top of.

We've only tested this going up the steep stone stairs from our dock to our main storage/workshop area (a few days after my solo journey), but if it worked ever, you know it'll work anywhere.

:downs:

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 7, 2021

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
You can also load the cart up and have the person piloting it turn pvp damage on and then harpoon thenm and drag them around that way. That works more consistently if there is a bit of lag making the carts not move smoothly.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think portals are too easy to make/use and trivialise some of the better aspects of the game. I would maybe gate the amount of portals based on a rare resource that drops from bosses or minibosses.

I would also probably improve roads by making them increase movement speed or lower stamina used, or both.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I would also probably improve roads by making them increase movement speed or lower stamina used, or both.
I was honestly surprised to hear that paved stone offered no mechanical benefit

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fuzzysocksucker posted:

I think this is the problem a lot of people, myself included, have. We didn't think to build roads. The large island I'm on now is crisscrossed with low effort paths. Even when I did think about building paths, at first it sounded like a lot of work when reality is run in a line with the hoe spamming level terrain. It actually surprised me how easy it was and I regret not doing it sooner.

Viking industry demands the black forest be turned into the black plains.

Yeah that's pretty much it, I just walk along spamming the hoe when I'm taking the cart into a new spot.

The only road that's taken me any effort to build so far is the one I'm doing in the swamp right now because of all the water slowing the process down .

Still... One in-game day's efforts brought me like 2/3 of the way to the pair of crypts I'm building it to and that's stopping along the way to harvest enough ancient bark to build my longship.

If I'm exploring I don't take it but there's a weird immersive routine to the whole thing of pulling it out in the morning running back to it on the road all day dropping off wood/ore, and then pulling it home as the sun goes down.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 7, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If it didn't eat stamina I'd put down long roads as I go but it's hard to get lost in this game with the map and waypoints you can set which eliminates most of the need for a fancy road system.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I think portals are too easy to make/use and trivialise some of the better aspects of the game. I would maybe gate the amount of portals based on a rare resource that drops from bosses or minibosses.

They're nice for coordinating people, especially larger groups. At least for the people I play with, getting them to do anything is like herding cats. We'll agree that hey, we should do a thing, and unless I set out immediately and drop a portal, everyone will do side tasks for 30 minutes instead of doing the thing that we were going to do.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Perhaps there can be fixed portals near boss spawns that you can use some resource to go to, and then allow one additional normal portal for moving stuff around bases/resources.

A second thing would be to make there be a portal upgrade for a ludicrous amount of resources that would then let you use it to transport ores/bars for very late in the game when you're basically just building Millenium Falcons or whatever the gently caress.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
We found a very tiny plains biome at the foot of the mountain near a meadow. So, of course we made a flax and barley farming base immediately. The Loxen are just a bonus, but it's still lovely that you can't breed them yet.

Lox Ridge Abbey:

Also people were posting maps before. Our world has a pretty good one. The merchant was visible almost from the time we spawned I think. Our seed is: sQsQrwpeWH

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Are there any constraints for where the merchant is other than in a Black Forest?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Is max iron helmet and boots, max bronze chest armor, a bunch of good stews and sausage, frost resist meads, and a level 3 iron bow enough to go into the mountains without getting blasted? The goal would be to get stuff to make frost arrows for bonemass.

Playing with a group and we haven’t beat bone mass yet (really cool to have a boss basically immune to all but one damage type, we don’t feel like grinding out a bunch of iron maces when we’ve had slow enough luck with crypts that it’s taken a long time to get iron gear situated) but feel functionally done with the swamp. 30 iron for huntsman 3->4 doesn’t feel worth it, and neither does upgrading the iron pole arm that I basically just use to spin2win on weak enemies and would never be something that I prioritize over a bow when I need to kill something fast.

OwlFancier posted:

I do collect a fair bit of resources I just do it by going out and filling an inventory. Having the belt is a big help which you can get quite easily with just bronze tier tomb loot, provided you find the merchant. But every time I tried to use the cart I found it faster to just do a couple of inventory filled runs because it's a big pain to move it over rough terrain, if you had a group I can see it being better because you could have other people to do the fighting for you but trying to manage the cart, fighting stuff off, and collect all at the same time is more trouble than it's worth. Even if you have to row against the wind it's still faster than dragging the cart, and I only do that for metal anyway and swamps are basically designed to be reached by boat because they're all sea level and you can scout for tombs from the coast, mountains I can't even begin to imagine trying to navigate with the cart, and forests are still very awkward just with the trees and rocks everywhere and endless hordes of gribblers pouring out of every hole in the dirt to take a swing at it. For anything other than metal I just portal there, I already have outposts in a bunch of biomes so I just go to the forest portal and make it not forest if I want wood.

Plus even if I do use the cart I still have to do multiple trips through the portal at the other end so it's still a faff. I dunno, I would probably like it if it functioned like a mobile workbench/stonecutter, or if it let you draw resources from it to build, might be useful as a mobile building aid.

Also let me stuff carts through portals or something, or at least the resources.

IMO this is the only way to farm plain wood - it requires minimal setup and is actually really satisfying and incredibly efficient.

Pick whatever meadows base you have closest to a portal and get your hoe. Make a 1 “flatten” wide path about 400m out your main gate and going down the flattest section.

Go down the path far enough from your base that falling trees won’t hit buildings. Take all those dumb beech seeds that you inevitably have laying around and plant rows of trees until you get bored of it, but at least 100+. Plant them as tightly together as you can, it seems kinda buggy and I’ve noticed that planted trees that say “needs more space” will sometimes grow anyways.

Once they grow, take your cart down the road and park it as close as you can get it to your free farm without it being at risk of a bunch of trees hitting it.

Pop elder and start cutting down the trees, starting with the outer most edges. Don’t chop up logs until all the trees you planted are knocked down. Since you planted poo poo so close together, it will be one insane laggy domino effect with a net result of tons of saved work because you don’t need to chop chop chop.

Doing this is a bit of prep work, but the end result is filling a full cart full of wood in like 10 mins and only 1 axe repair with a bronze axe. Using a cart is 100% required - you’re not taking it far, but it saves you so much time of running back and forth with a full inventory.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 7, 2021

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Vanadium posted:

Are there any constraints for where the merchant is other than in a Black Forest?

From personal experience, no. I saw biome 6 before I saw a trader on my map.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

causticBeet posted:

Is max iron helmet and boots, max bronze chest armor, a bunch of good stews and sausage, frost resist meads, and a level 3 iron bow enough to go into the mountains without getting blasted? The goal would be to get stuff to make frost arrows for bonemass.

Playing with a group and we haven’t beat bone mass yet (really cool to have a boss basically immune to all but one damage type, we don’t feel like grinding out a bunch of iron maces when we’ve had slow enough luck with crypts that it’s taken a long time to get iron gear situated) but feel functionally done with the swamp. 30 iron for huntsman 3->4 doesn’t feel worth it, and neither does upgrading the iron pole arm that I basically just use to spin2win on weak enemies and would never be something that I prioritize over a bow when I need to kill something fast.

You should be more than fine to go into the mountains. Bring a shield though, preferably an iron one, as it makes the mobs there much, much easier to handle. Parrying goes from a nice to have to a need to have pretty quickly right around when the mountains become a thing.

Also, sadly, mace supremacy basically extends throughout the entire game right now. There's really no reason to make a sword that I can see, as maces pretty easily handle all of the enemies that you face right up to the end of the current content, and most importantly, are the strongest option against the most difficult monsters. Bows are generally really, really strong and very important to have, but any enemy that your bow struggles against is basically perfect for your mace to shatter.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

causticBeet posted:

Is max iron helmet and boots, max bronze chest armor, a bunch of good stews and sausage, frost resist meads, and a level 3 iron bow enough to go into the mountains without getting blasted? [Spoiler] The goal would be to get stuff to make frost arrows for bonemass.

Bonemass is easier than you think to melee. Use a club and poison resist mead with good food. He wasn't hard at all. Just kite him around his big skull and back off when he pukes or the adds get too crowded.

Might be worth making sure there isn't too much water within 20 feet of the spawn point. But I didn't bother and did fine after a minute of stumbling trying to figure out the fight.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Zesty posted:

Bonemass is easier than you think to melee. Use a club and poison resist mead with good food. He wasn't hard at all. Just kite him around his big skull and back off when he pukes or the adds get too crowded.

Might be worth making sure there isn't too much water within 20 feet of the spawn point. But I didn't bother and did fine after a minute of stumbling trying to figure out the fight.

To add to this:

If you clear a decent radius around the spawn, you can kite him without sprinting. This lets you fill your stamina bar, and let your natural health regen kick in. With sausages, turnip stew, and meat or fish, it's fairly quick to top yourself up. Iron maces aren't just a big deal for damaging Bonemass himself. They let you kill his blob and skeltal adds in usually a single swing. With poison resist mead, and a few emergency health meads, you can rush in, get 2-3 mace combos, kite back to full health, thin out adds, and repeat, until he's dead. Parries aren't even necessary. If you're prepared and patient, you will win.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

christ i wish greydwarves dropped thistles

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Low level mobs eventually leaving you alone would be great, or at least add something so that they occasionally drop worthwhile stuff if I have to kill them.

I find myself petering out as we move into the Swamp, there's very few new gameplay mechanics to engage with at this point. Just getting the next metal and next tier of armor, which don't really give any new abilities.

I don't really find portals to be that game breaking? There just isn't that much game. Besides creative mode sort of thing there's absolutely no reason to reshape the world. The game map for being really large is actually pretty shallow, and most of the game can be done within a few hops of the start.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Warning: incoming screenshot diarrhea.

I feel like I'm ready to leave my current base and colonize the other side of the world. It's been a good HQ.

When I found a nice piece of headland I felt like I had to build some kind of mansion there. Nothing too opulent, 'cause I like small and cozy places.

The front of Steadfast Manor.

Behind the throne is a secret door to reach the top of the tower.

To the right you have the dining and storage areas, and a small mead basement.

To the left is the bedroom.

There's a backdoor leading to the outdoor workshop.

Eventually you'll reach the modest turnip fields and a small harbor.

The back of Steadfast.

A rich land, and fairly quiet. Lots of game and very few greydwarves. Except for the one single greyling that keeps spawning in my fields, welcoming me home to destroyed crops and beehives. Killing this fucker never took. So I dug him a pit.

It worked. He's been hanging out there for a while now. Threw him some sausages, but the ungrateful bastard won't eat them. I feel good leaving Steadfast now, knowing its only major nuisance has been taken care of.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 7, 2021

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Any tips for digging out climbable slopes or 'steps' up mountains?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I'm having more fun in the sandbox game just building stuff and doing stuff than engaging with the post-swamp "grind iron, now grind silver!" mechanics

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I tried to steer a cart up a simple wooden staircase to a bridge that was just wide enough to accomodate it and it was yakety sax levels of disastrous. My buddy just stood and watched. I haven't laughed that hard in a video game in a while. Game is good.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jinnigan posted:

Any tips for digging out climbable slopes or 'steps' up mountains?

Not really, just sprint up them. You're actually a spider-viking

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So how are you supposed to murk the Elder? I just plinked it to death with fire arrows, but it wasn't in any way fast. Probably easier if you're not alone? Also, can the workbench be upgraded to level 6 currently?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

genericnick posted:

So how are you supposed to murk the Elder? I just plinked it to death with fire arrows, but it wasn't in any way fast. Probably easier if you're not alone? Also, can the workbench be upgraded to level 6 currently?

He doesn't do most of his bullshit if you're up close and personal. Dodge around a bit with your axe.

I don't know of a level 6 version yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want to piss a friend off, plant a line of fir trees down the middle of their favorite road.

Cleaning up the stumps suuuuuuuuuucks.

Cleaning up stumps in general sucks but fir stumps are a special kind of gently caress you because they're so short.