Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
!!! As a CIS woman who is taller than many men, has bigger feet than many men (I had to wear men's shoes to school when I was just 11 as there were no girls'/women's shoes my size available back then), better at maths than many men and a better record collection than many men, I object*!!!

https://twitter.com/AlextonBurandra/status/1368590095377436672?s=20

*I actually got in a row with 2 men on the tube one night when I was a little bit the worse for alcohol wear - it literally descended into 'men have bigger feet' at which point my size 10s (UK Size 10 = US size 12.5) beat their tiny little size 9s.

38 - I have nothing exciting to say about 38.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

It'll be a good time to widen any cracks that form.

There's a good chunk of people that just don't like change. Against a republic not on any moral grounds but because it's change. Against metric not on any mathematical grounds but because change. The people you see on the BBC who claim to be against changing the road signs to km because they're smaller so you'll get less far on a tank or whatever but really it's the change.

They'll feel that strange alienated feeling that makes people who were five when decimalization happened long for shillings and big penes pennies the moment that the face on all the money and stamps changes, assuming that we haven't gone fully cashless by then. That's a crack you can stick a wedge in.

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN THE POSTBOXES SAID ER ON THEM?!?! BRING THEM BACK!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

MikeCrotch posted:

I think Charles understands that without the goodwill of Brenda the monarchy needs to be less expensive and less of a scandal magnet, which is why he wants to make the whole thing more boring and professional.

Def agree that he wants that crown though

Charles definitely also thinks that the country needs the strong guiding hand of an interventionist monarch, though.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

That would be the reference, yeah. My wife doesn’t really ‘do’ games, but is utterly obsessed with that song.

And now it’s stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

MikeCrotch posted:

DO YOU REMEMBER WHEN THE POSTBOXES SAID ER ON THEM?!?! BRING THEM BACK!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
That's actually so that when you put a stamped letter in them it creates a contract with hospital Emergency Rooms (as A&E departments are called in that one American TV show), meaning that they're allowed to charge you tax for it

I am 100% sure this is an actual thing that a sovcit has said in earnest at some point and no I will not bother checking to find out

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeCrotch posted:

I think Charles understands that without the goodwill of Brenda the monarchy needs to be less expensive and less of a scandal magnet, which is why he wants to make the whole thing more boring and professional.

Def agree that he wants that crown though

He's the last royal who has been raised as the heir to the throne. Imagine being taught from being a kid that one day you will lead the country and then it never happens.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Someone royal was asking how dark-skinned was Harry and Meghan's kid going to be.

Let's be real - that combo of ignorance and casual racism could only be the work of Big Phil

Given they said it would be incredibly damaging to their reputation to release the person's name - it can't be him.

People already just expect that's the sort of thing he would say.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Considering how hard he defended the queen, it has to be either Charles or William

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

fatelvis posted:

Given they said it would be incredibly damaging to their reputation to release the person's name - it can't be him.

People already just expect that's the sort of thing he would say.

It's Charles, it sounds like something he would think is a grown up discussion to have.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheRat posted:

Considering how hard he defended the queen, it has to be either Charles or William

It's absolutely William. He's that kind of shithead and if the monarchy persists he'll likely be king a decade or so from now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Has anyone been to Charles' weird utopian Disney village? Would love to see an effort post about what the gently caress is actually going on there (other than paedo stuff and Hot Fuzz-style death cults)

My family travelled through there once. There was a bone auction going on in the town square. As in, a literal auction of little bags of bones.

I was quite glad we were able to leave before sundown.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

It's absolutely William. He's that kind of shithead and if the monarchy persists he'll likely be king a decade or so from now.

Yeah I'm thinking it's probably William too. It wouldn't be that damaging if it was Charles.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

My family travelled through there once. There was a bone auction going on in the town square. As in, a literal auction of little bags of bones.

:shittypop:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

IllusionistTrixie posted:

edit does imgur not allow image linking anymore?

https://imgur.com/a/W2H4vNI

This triggers me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jedit posted:

I think William too, initially phrased as a joke, but then followed with "no but seriously..." [stern face]. Look at me, commenting on The Royalty, quick someone give me a column!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It's also almost certainly William who kicked off the smear campaign against Harry and Meghan anyway, when Harry tried to out the fact that William was shagging around (like Charles did to their mum)

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

It's also almost certainly William who kicked off the smear campaign against Harry and Meghan anyway, when Harry tried to out the fact that William was shagging around (like Charles did to their mum)

To be fair, that went boths ways. Hence Harry's non-inbred gene-pool.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

!!! As a CIS woman who is taller than many men, has bigger feet than many men (I had to wear men's shoes to school when I was just 11 as there were no girls'/women's shoes my size available back then), better at maths than many men and a better record collection than many men, I object*!!!

https://twitter.com/AlextonBurandra/status/1368590095377436672?s=20

*I actually got in a row with 2 men on the tube one night when I was a little bit the worse for alcohol wear - it literally descended into 'men have bigger feet' at which point my size 10s (UK Size 10 = US size 12.5) beat their tiny little size 9s.

38 - I have nothing exciting to say about 38.

Size 8 1/2 here :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Aramoro posted:

So some folk in my village (well the one over from my but the nearest village with a shop) put up a BLM banner and people in the local Facebook group got all antsy about the banner defacing the village. So I went in swinging and called them all racists, because you know they were. So the guy who put up the banner invited me to this group, it's notionally called and education group. I thought it might be interesting but actually it's insane.

I've been probed once for saying Ghana's excess deaths reporting system is not as advanced as France's.

Right now the group is eating itself a bit as they have ousted one of the Asian admins for being anti-black and the admin is going through calling out 'wheat' posters who liked any of the other admins posts to make them explain their actions.

Mate, you joined a cult.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lucky he has the experience from posting here. You must always be the Most Correct!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

feedmegin posted:

Mate, you joined a cult.

This isn’t all that different from a hell of a lot of ‘leftist’ spaces. Hell, the idea that quality of life in the U.K. might be better than somewhere with mass drought, famine and war is usually met with indignation in this thread.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

If we ever manage to abolish the monarchy in the UK, there will forevermore be bizarre plots to install a King, because in the old days they had Kings and things were much better then. This may involve the summoning of dragons, the selection of a scrawny urchin to use as a puppet, or maybe a tall red-headed man living in a far off land who everyone knows is the rightful heir (hang on a moment...)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

MikeCrotch posted:

It is amazing how effectively the news William's affair got stifled here given that everywhere else in the world knows about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

Mate, you joined a cult.
Hope you're not insulting the wheat people. :yum:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It is amazing how effectively the news William's affair got stifled here given that everywhere else in the world knows about it.

I've literally not heard of it before it was mentioned here just now. Was while he was with Kate?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Has anyone been to Charles' weird utopian Disney village? Would love to see an effort post about what the gently caress is actually going on there (other than paedo stuff and Hot Fuzz-style death cults)
It's not that far from me, so I've detoured through it a few times. It's like a film set; the whole place feels weirdly fake even though people actually live there. It's sterile and bland and vaguely creepy, and you just know that anyone who would actively choose to reside there is probably going to be a cringing royalist and Mail-reading NIMBY.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobstar posted:

If we ever manage to abolish the monarchy in the UK, there will forevermore be bizarre plots to install a King, because in the old days they had Kings and things were much better then. This may involve the summoning of dragons, the selection of a scrawny urchin to use as a puppet, or maybe a tall red-headed man living in a far off land who everyone knows is the rightful heir (hang on a moment...)

I'd feel a lot better about having a monarchy if it was legitimately just the big LARP event people sometimes pretend that it is. We have the new one make sure to say stuff like "Zounds! Then anon thy royal sovereign surely will, to battle." Have them pull a sword from the stone each coronation, get a distant family member to challenge them in single combat for the throne, that sort of thing. Maybe we could have a time traveller monarch come back to fight at the coronation to save the future from the would-be monarch's evil acts.

But like, none of the actual open secret political influence and massive property empire. Kinda sucks the fun out of it.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Jakabite posted:

This isn’t all that different from a hell of a lot of ‘leftist’ spaces. Hell, the idea that quality of life in the U.K. might be better than somewhere with mass drought, famine and war is usually met with indignation in this thread.

I don't think it's that unsurprising really, hell I think it's related to the way Greenwald and Taibbi have gone as discussed before. Things might not be too bad overall for a lot of us, but there are some things in the UK that we know are not OK, some things which are in fact extremely terrible. When you're bombarded daily with essentially propaganda from most of the media and the state broadcaster saying those things that you know are hosed are actually just fine, it's natural to question everything they say. It's not much of a leap from there to reach a default position of "believe anyone who points out something bad, because they're usually telling the truth, and especially believe them if the media says the opposite, because they're usually lying". Which is not great, but the alternative is the reason why the news is exhausting now - you can't just skim a few headlines to get an idea of what's going on, because the headlines are often the complete opposite of the real situation and the only way to determine that is to dig deeper into the sources yourself, or find someone you trust who has already done that for this particular topic.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I don't think some of these discussions and comments were necessarily with people in the Royal Family - from the way they talked about it there's a whole apparatus of senior advisors around them who are basically their managers, separate from the Senior Royals.

If not though, it's either William or Kate.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

TheRat posted:

I've literally not heard of it before it was mentioned here just now. Was while he was with Kate?

Yes, it is widely reported internationally that he was (is?) shagging Rose Hanbury. Other rumours say that the affair is what led to the falling out of William & Kate with Harry and Meghan, as Meghan couldn't believe Kate was standing by William and Harry couldn't believe William was copying Charlie boy.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone watch the TV film that came out a few years ago called King Charles III? It's basically a thought experiment about what would happen when the queen dies. Essentially, it posits that Charles is incapable of not meddling in politics and then causes a constitutional crisis. He's then forced to abdicate by his children in order to save a monarchy on the verge of collapse and then extremely begrudgingly kings William. It's also kind of weirdly prescient because Harry gets a black girlfriend (though a working class British lady with a council flat) and then leaves the royalty.

So the whole "the crown should leapfrog Charles to William" idea is pretty established. What's most interesting about all this stuff now is that William's brand is also being tarnished.

E: btw, is there anywhere to watch the whole interview right now?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I do love the whole UK social media going "someone was racist in the royal family? Must have been the Greek"

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Also, lol

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1368866521347407872

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Comrade Fakename posted:

So the whole "the crown should leapfrog Charles to William" idea is pretty established. What's most interesting about all this stuff now is that William's brand is also being tarnished.

I think the latter thing is going to be the most interesting. If it had leapfrogged to William a decade ago things would be rosy as gently caress for the royals. Now I am not half as sure. I mean, in this instance, it's actually something I am pleased about because I hope the whole lot of them piss off, but it's interesting at the least.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If there's one thing I can't stand it's a bunch of incredibly privileged people playing out stupid internal drama in public. Enjoy your loving mansions, for fucks sake

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Didn't he try and orchestrate a fascist coup?

It's fairly pathetic how many cowed idiots in this country look up to the inbred twats.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
If someone demanded I send them money to atone for poor takes in a Facebook group or risk getting banned I would laugh in their face

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ yeah that's bullshit, everyone knows you ban them first & then demand :10bux: if they want to be unbanned

Vagabong posted:

Didn't he try and orchestrate a fascist coup?
Basically, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Mate, you joined a cult.

Years of SA have shielded my brain, not without it's own consequences of course.

The group owner Admin has purged the Asian admin for anti-blackness and the other 2 black admins for not being informed enough to banned the other admin first. We now have 3 new hand picked admins. Anyone else not agreeing that Gandhi was a white (?!?), racist paedophile will also be purged.