Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
You don't even know what it means to mix up your references!

Yeah
Tell 'em
TK_Nyarlathotep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

DrDraxium posted:

You don't even know what it means to mix up your references!

Yeah
Tell 'em
TK_Nyarlathotep

I can catch a helpless Seraphon
Skin it with my bare hands
I wake up muddy
And I go to bed bloody
Cuz I'm a Chaos man

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I wake up muddy
And I go to bed bloody
Cuz I'm a Chaos man

'cause I say it's a ShplaNurgle day!

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Ugly John posted:

'cause I say it's a ShplaNurgle day!

"Nurgle Worshipper" is an INCREDIBLY handy way to explain this gentleman:

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

I wake up muddy
And I go to bed bloody
Cuz I'm a Chaos man

:golfclap:

In other AoS related matters. I want to start a Kharadron Overlords army at some point because I think they're ridiculous and great. Anyone here got experience painting, building and playing with em?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DrDraxium posted:

:golfclap:

In other AoS related matters. I want to start a Kharadron Overlords army at some point because I think they're ridiculous and great. Anyone here got experience painting, building and playing with em?

I play KO and they're great fun but I only have a few games played so I'm new to AOS.

They're great to build and easy to paint. Boats are easy to spray a solid base then paint in the metal and add weathering. There's a lot of detail to fill in but it's rewarding and fun. Regular dudes are really easy to paint given they're not super detailed and washes will do all the hard work.

Playing with them is great. They're all in on guns and some armies have a really tough time dealing with it. They're also able to get to objectives in their skyships and have huge mobility so long as they're no on the ground where they naturally become standard dwarfs. That being said dwarfs are tough as poo poo and have good armour so they can hold objectives and some of them can fight extremely effectively. All the cute stuff like issuing orders and etc makes them flavourful to play. I like them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
KOs only "drawback" is that theyre currently considered the best army competitively so you might be seen as "that guy" but dont let salty nerds stand in the way of fun.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I figure by the time I play anybody, KO will be a little less strong.

What color did you base your KO in? I remember somewhere reading that someone used like, Leadbelcher/Gunmetal, but idk if basing in metallics is a good idea.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Big boy tomorrow

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I wonder if they are increasing Belakor's base size because that boy looks big as hell now

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Magic posted:

What color did you base your KO in? I remember somewhere reading that someone used like, Leadbelcher/Gunmetal, but idk if basing in metallics is a good idea.

Bear in mind I have an airbrush, but I based my hulls light grey then sprayed black for shade all over, then I sprayed very thin dark green wash onto the entire hull. My big metal balls are leadbelcher then a few different washes to grime it up. The weathering is typhus corrosion, fire dragon bright and some leadbelcher dabbed on.

E: ah poo poo I broke a fin taking it out lol

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 8, 2021

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

JBP posted:

Bear in mind I have an airbrush, but I based my hulls light grey then sprayed black for shade all over, then I sprayed very thin dark green wash onto the entire hull. My big metal balls are leadbelcher then a few different washes to grime it up. The weathering is typhus corrosion, fire dragon bright and some leadbelcher dabbed on.

This looks great! Love the base as well. Did you paint in subassemblies at all? I have an airbrush as well and I’m not sure if it’s a thing you do with one.

Also I didn’t know you could airbrush washes! Do they work the same or did you just want super thin layers?

I was kind of thinking of making mine something like a bright blue and gold; I haven’t decided. Just tired of black and silver from my 40K Deathwatch; I want brightness! Tropical orange and blue!

Edit: man all those portholes and goggles look boss as well, really nice

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Magic posted:

This looks great! Love the base as well. Did you paint in subassemblies at all? I have an airbrush as well and I’m not sure if it’s a thing you do with one.

Also I didn’t know you could airbrush washes! Do they work the same or did you just want super thin layers?

I was kind of thinking of making mine something like a bright blue and gold; I haven’t decided. Just tired of black and silver from my 40K Deathwatch; I want brightness! Tropical orange and blue!

Edit: man all those portholes and goggles look boss as well, really nice

Thanks! I used the wash like a stain so it was coloured green but not bold, I just kept spraying until it looked wet and let it dry. Cam out how I wanted with no real strategy. I've started doing a lot of staining using washes and glazes lately because it's really fast. I'm all about shortcuts. All my infantry were leadbelcher base then I picked out some parts of the armour with green wash to unify everything.

Also yeah sub assemblies are easy. I just put the boats together and do the endrins separately then put it together.

I've seen some awesome bright coloured KO. I think they can work with any scheme you like, but my second option was tropical holiday themed.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I like the matrix nebukadnezar vibes of your not sqauts, joh bjelke peterson.

I painted up my Underworlds dudes like astronauts

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
drat, that's a striking scheme.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

the big boy is quite big

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I think the skull chains on the wings are a bit much (and not in the GW good way of a bit much), but that's a cool model regardless.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I bet they make a really cool sound while he flies through the air, though.

Wonder how often he accidentally bonks himself in the head with skulls/hooks hanging loose :thunk:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Big Willy Style posted:

I think they're a bit *too* white and look unfinished. IMHO it would look better if more of the smaller details were picked out in colour as well.

Edit - or use gold instead of silver for the metallics just to add a little colour.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Sab669 posted:

I bet they make a really cool sound while he flies through the air, though.

Wonder how often he accidentally bonks himself in the head with skulls/hooks hanging loose :thunk:

I feel like he gets them stuck on L-shape door knobs and it just humbles him.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I bet Slaaneshi demons just constantly ask him 'How they hanging?'

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I guess I'm putting my old tiny Be'Lakor, currently on a 60mm base that is too big for him, on an even bigger base.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I painted during the old WHFB days but never played - did the game board get smaller in AoS the way it has in 40k? It seems like boards getting smaller + bases getting bigger is going to eventually reach a point where you're gonna be able to consistently make turn 1 charges.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Nah AOS is still 6 by 4 foot for 2k games. AOS also has significantly fewer models on the table than WFB did.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

Nah AOS is still 6 by 4 foot for 2k games. AOS also has significantly fewer models on the table than WFB did.

Though escalating price increases mean you still pay the same for an army ;)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I painted during the old WHFB days but never played - did the game board get smaller in AoS the way it has in 40k? It seems like boards getting smaller + bases getting bigger is going to eventually reach a point where you're gonna be able to consistently make turn 1 charges.

40K had to shrink the table size because games were taking 6 hours to play.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
If you watch AoS games on TTS or battle reports, yeah, alot of t1 charges, and nothing really lives through them. If a unit touches an enemy unit, basically one of them poofs off the table, makes games quick, and fits the mythological heroic fantasy setting they are doing pretty well. Though I must admit, not particularly as satisfying gameplay to one who enjoyed rank and flank, drawn out fights. Its still enjoyable as a game, but it has tended to get more fast-play, everything is a hammer style as it goes along.

models are top notch of course, GWs more ambitious sculptors seem to get the AoS stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

40K had to shrink the table size because games were taking 6 hours to play.

Oh don't get me wrong I definitely think it was the right move, it's just interesting to me that base sizes are also steadily creeping up - seems like it's not too far off from the classic gunline armies being almost obsolete. Maybe that's a good thing too, but I do like seeing different playstyles.

I have no desire to play 6 hour games, but I do enjoy a more drawn-out fight now and then. I think stuff like Kill Team / Underworlds / Warcry already lends itself to very fast in-and-out games so I also don't want to see things get *too* streamlined to the point where most armies play almost identically except for a few special rules here and there.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

JBP posted:

I play KO and they're great fun but I only have a few games played so I'm new to AOS.

They're great to build and easy to paint. Boats are easy to spray a solid base then paint in the metal and add weathering. There's a lot of detail to fill in but it's rewarding and fun. Regular dudes are really easy to paint given they're not super detailed and washes will do all the hard work.

Playing with them is great. They're all in on guns and some armies have a really tough time dealing with it. They're also able to get to objectives in their skyships and have huge mobility so long as they're no on the ground where they naturally become standard dwarfs. That being said dwarfs are tough as poo poo and have good armour so they can hold objectives and some of them can fight extremely effectively. All the cute stuff like issuing orders and etc makes them flavourful to play. I like them.

They sound perfect for me to be honest. I'm usually a Death Guard / Nurgle player so a zippy shooty army seems like a great alternative when I don't feel like throwing down with Papa's Blessings. I've also never played AoS, but have a few 40K, Warcry and Underworlds games under my belt.

RagnarokAngel posted:

KOs only "drawback" is that theyre currently considered the best army competitively so you might be seen as "that guy" but dont let salty nerds stand in the way of fun.

Wow that's surprising, the videos and blogs I read (mainly vincey V and goonhammer) don't seem to reflect that, but I don't have the brains or time to play competitively at this point in my life anyway, my army selections are about 90% hobby 10% gameplay.

Captain Magic posted:

I followed this guide:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AteSCS5FgGo)

to do my Iron Golems which has leadbelcher as a base with contrast paints over the top. I thought I'd do something similar for my KO, I really liked how the effect came out, and it seems like it'd translate well. As KO seem to be mostly gold metallic, if you wanted to stick closer to the core aesthetic, maybe a balthazar gold undercoat would do the trick?

JBP posted:

Dude this looks so :krad:
Getting some hella Oddworld / Rupture Farms vibes which is not something I was expecting from a KO paint scheme but it's frickin' brilliant. Any more shots?

Big Willy Style posted:

Loving these Astro-Squats too. Fits their theme to a tee.

Thanks to everyone who's posted their KO schemes and thoughts.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

The tier rating stuff is not always a great reflection of reality - like KO and Seraphon are generally considered the "best" armies, but they don't really have a dominant tournament presence the way some other top armies have had - you'll see them in the Top 3/ Top 5 pretty often but I rarely see a tourney where like all 3 of the top spots are taken by them like you used to see with Slaanesh lists, and there are tons of tourneys where they don't show up in the Top 5 at all. They're very good and statistically they're favored to win like sub-60% of their games, but there's still a ton of variety in the meta right now.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

RagnarokAngel posted:

I picked up FEC a couple months before the new book and I picked KO because I wanted to do busted up soviet dorfs :eng99:

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
gently caress, soviet sky dorfs is such a good idea i'm jealous i didn't think of it first

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The tier rating stuff is not always a great reflection of reality - like KO and Seraphon are generally considered the "best" armies, but they don't really have a dominant tournament presence the way some other top armies have had - you'll see them in the Top 3/ Top 5 pretty often but I rarely see a tourney where like all 3 of the top spots are taken by them like you used to see with Slaanesh lists, and there are tons of tourneys where they don't show up in the Top 5 at all. They're very good and statistically they're favored to win like sub-60% of their games, but there's still a ton of variety in the meta right now.

Ah right. This seems like a very healthy spot for the meta to be in.

EDIT:

Business Gorillas posted:

I picked up FEC a couple months before the new book and I picked KO because I wanted to do busted up soviet dorfs :eng99:

Uh yeah this does sound amazing. Why the :eng99:? Could you not complete this vision for some reason?

DrDraxium fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 9, 2021

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

No it's going along great, I just keep getting razzed for being a meta chaser

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Business Gorillas posted:

No it's going along great, I just keep getting razzed for being a meta chaser

Chase what you love. The meta will change and your army will move between awesome and lovely, don't worry.

That's why I picked Khorne as my army... it'll never be good :smug:

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I think the skull chains on the wings are a bit much (and not in the GW good way of a bit much), but that's a cool model regardless.

don't worry, they'll probably fall off the first time you try transporting it :razzy:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The new belakor model has me wanting to get into AOS and Chaos has been calling me. How is the khorne bloodbound starter set in terms of playability?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

If you specifically like the new Be'Lakor there is a decent chance he will be more than 400 points after the new model and book drops and so not ally-able into a Khorne army.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there any indication what base size he'll be on? I want a side-by-side next to the regular Demon Prince model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Sab669 posted:

Is there any indication what base size he'll be on? I want a side-by-side next to the regular Demon Prince model.

Apparently a couple inches larger than whatever a bloodthirster is based on, according to the guy in my local GW shop