Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sassafras posted:

you have clearly never used btrfs on a production machine if you nurse these doubts

(lol at 120 new posts in the linux thread overnight)

if you wanted something that worked, you wouldn't be using fedora

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if you wanted something that worked you absolutely would be using fedora tyvm

every time somebody asks for linux recs there's always some useless nerd who pop!s up to recommend a derivative of a derivative of a hobbyist linux distribution. what you have to realize is that there are two groups of people who use linux:

1. people who want to use a computer as a means to an end
2. people whose hobby is installing and configuring computer software

if you're in group 1 then use a distro that is at least distantly related to a supported commercial product. and no, not one made by the company that's constantly doing bad-faith poo poo to try to infect the linux ecosystem with their IP that they hold exclusive rights to. basically use red hat or idk maybe suse if you're german.

if you're in group 2 then sure install whatever stupid poo poo you want but understand that group 1 doesn't share your particular set of priorities and adjust your recommendations accordingly.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what distro does stallman use

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pram posted:

https://trisquel.info/

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

pram posted:

beaten but apparently it's a free (as in speech) version of ubuntu, ymmv

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Private Speech posted:

beaten but apparently it's a free (as in speech) version of ubuntu, ymmv

isnt that literally debian lmao

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sapozhnik posted:

if you wanted something that worked you absolutely would be using fedora tyvm

every time somebody asks for linux recs there's always some useless nerd who pop!s up to recommend a derivative of a derivative of a hobbyist linux distribution. what you have to realize is that there are two groups of people who use linux:

1. people who want to use a computer as a means to an end
2. people whose hobby is installing and configuring computer software

if you're in group 1 then use a distro that is at least distantly related to a supported commercial product. and no, not one made by the company that's constantly doing bad-faith poo poo to try to infect the linux ecosystem with their IP that they hold exclusive rights to. basically use red hat or idk maybe suse if you're german.

if you're in group 2 then sure install whatever stupid poo poo you want but understand that group 1 doesn't share your particular set of priorities and adjust your recommendations accordingly.

My main complaints with Fedora 33 were:

1: Limited software availability (at least compared to Arch and Arch derivatives), even with the non-free repo enabled and flathub.
2: Gnome software manager sucks rear end in Fedora and uses a different package manager than the terminal one (DNF). The DNF gui just crashed all the time and was basically unusable.
3: As stated before, the inability copy and paste between windows thanks to the new window manager for Gnome in Fedora, Wayland.
4: Pretty pointless use of BTRFS in Fedora 33 since it doesn't support any of the actual useful snapshotting abilities of it or checksumming and just exposes you to all the broken stuff about it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
as someone who exclusively uses linux to accomplish very specific tasks, i can say that i don't use fedora, because it does not work to accomplish those tasks.

it might if i spent a lot of time loving with it, but instead, i use whatever distro allows me to accomplish the task i intend, because that task isn't loving with my distro to get the tools i need.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
Debian or Ubuntu according to what frequency you want to deal with minor change-related bullshit breakage.

Debian stable = lots, every few years
Ubuntu = some, every six months
Debian testing / unstable = occasionally at complete random

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the best distro for all purposes is Debian stable. you can use other things but they’re not as good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pram posted:

i'd just like to interject for a moment...

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the best distro for all purposes is Debian stable. you can use other things but they’re not as good

This

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
It Just Works

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

roll that beautiful nbsd footage

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PCjr sidecar posted:

roll that beautiful nbsd footage

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos
That's why Ubuntu = update every six months, yeah.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Antigravitas posted:

However, a drive making GBS threads that many errors could also be a bad connection. If it's socketed, it may be worth taking it out and putting it in again. Just be gentle doing it, especially if it's your first time handling it.

Antigravitas posted:

Actually, it just occurred to me that a smart error wouldn't be a connection issue, or rather the connection would be the solder. So disregard what I wrote, my brain has turned to mush from work…

no you're brain is correct in remembering that smart errors can be connection issue. sata smart has a link layer crc error counter which reports this. i have seen many, many people think they're drive is dead because it threw a shitload of smart errors, but it was just a bad sata cable

where you went wrong is that this drive's nvme. i don't think nvme bothers reporting pcie link health in its version of smart, because that should be covered by other resources in the system (the root complex and any bridges)

more to the point, the drive's reporting media errors, so its flash is hosed

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

btrfs is the filesystem for nerds with waifus and twitter set to notify every time Elon musk tweets. it is the “I loving love science” filesystem. the only valid reason to ever format a drive with btrfs is deliberately setting up lovely systems so your rear end in a top hat boss will suffer after you quit. don’t use btrfs
OK, now do zfs

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

pram posted:

rms doesn't like debian because it has the optional non-free repository which taints the entire distribution and actively restricts your freedoms

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wonder how deb feels knowing that ian's linux distribution named after her is still in use by millions of horrible nerds every day

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder how deb feels knowing that ian's linux distribution named after her is still in use by millions of horrible nerds every day

Clearly better than Ian did!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

true members of the cult of the graybeard only use devuan, a pure os free from the influlence of lennart poettering, destroyer of init scripts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh wow, beowulf

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

lol, what the hell are virtually all of these?

And clearly Arch has lost its "it" factor.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
but there's a wiki!

A wiki!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

mycophobia posted:

rms doesn't like debian because it has the optional non-free repository which taints the entire distribution and actively restricts your freedoms

lmao

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sassafras posted:

zorin? how can you not want to run an os named after an 80s bond villain who wanted to destroy silicon valley?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The_Franz posted:

zorin? how can you not want to run an os named after an 80s bond villain who wanted to destroy silicon valley?

When you think about it, he was actually the hero.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sassafras posted:

bsd alive, netcraft confirms

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

lol gentoo is not even on the list

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

well you see before i installed fedora i tried to install debian and it did not go well
something about it not being compatible with my laptop

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Sassafras posted:

Manjaro is based on Arch. probably people who want to use arch but don't want to deal with actually setting it up themselves.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hbag posted:

well you see before i installed fedora i tried to install debian and it did not go well
something about it not being compatible with my laptop

pfft. kids these days. expecting hardware support for laptops in linux.

what a world

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

on the other hand, use ubuntu it is good

(actually dont do that, use kubuntu)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

fedora will never suggest to combine lvm and btrfs, if you got that on your system somehow you've done hosed up

im posting from a laptop with a nvme disk with 768mb btrfs /boot, rest of the disk is lvm, btrfs root and home inside in one lv, swap in the other

had to set it up by hand, but it works great especially with taking btrfs snapshots of all btrfs subvolumes on every boot, i wanted /boot to be included in that

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Lysidas posted:

im posting from a laptop with a nvme disk with 768mb btrfs /boot, rest of the disk is lvm, btrfs root and home inside in one lv, swap in the other

had to set it up by hand, but it works great especially with taking btrfs snapshots of all btrfs subvolumes on every boot, i wanted /boot to be included in that

What does lvm give you here that regular old partitions would not (this is basically what I have). Assuming you're not wanting to resize your swap LV every week or something

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Rufus Ping posted:

What does lvm give you here that regular old partitions would not (this is basically what I have). Assuming you're not wanting to resize your swap LV every week or something

oh crap i totally forgot to mention that the lvm pv is inside a luks container, so root/home filesystem and swap inside are both encrypted, /boot just hosts the kernel and initrd with the default ubuntu scripts to ask for a passphrase and mount things

disk = efi system partition, btrfs boot, luks container
luks container = lvm pv when decrypted
lvm pv = swap lv, btrfs lv for root/home

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

sorry about your linux experiences op

i just upgraded to the pre-release version of fedora silverblue version 34, it works very well. i even plugged in an old wireless mouse i had sitting around in a drawer and gnome software prompted me to install a firmware update onto the mouse to fix a security problem.

silverblue is neat. I’ve been trialing it in a VM over the last couple of months, and I think I might give it a shot for real, soon.

Linuxes are fun and good aside from the bad ones, which are most of them.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lysidas posted:

disk = efi system partition, btrfs boot, luks container
luks container = lvm pv when decrypted
lvm pv = swap lv, btrfs lv for root/home

but why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Insanite posted:

silverblue is neat. I’ve been trialing it in a VM over the last couple of months, and I think I might give it a shot for real, soon.

Linuxes are fun and good aside from the bad ones, which are most of them.

One of the things I really like about linux is how the whole VM infrastructure is built directly into the kernel. If you're just dicking around with VM's and want a simple and straightforward interface you can use Gnome Boxes and download and autosetup a good chunk of the linux distros completely hands off.

If you want to have more control you can use VMM. Either way, they both use the same built in support in Linux.