Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

MikeCrotch posted:

I've nearly been knocked off my bicycle twice by Prius' sneaking up on me on me in milk float mode

w-what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Where exactly are all these piles of leaves with easy access for cars?

Or are buses just driving out to the suburbs and up onto people lawns to get at the leaf piles?

In a lot of surburban areas you rake your leaves out to the curb and into the street for removal by the local municipality, which comes and vacuums them up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Are there any stories of children being sucked into those leaf vacuums?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Milk floats are extremely slow, but extremely quiet early EVs suited for not waking up the entire neighborhood during early morning deliveries.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Are there any stories of children being sucked into those leaf vacuums?

You have to use those prairy dog vacuum trucks for small children due to the added weight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"Milk float" is a sort of mini-truck commonly used for delivering milk to homes in some countries. Modern ones are electric and thus very quiet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_float

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Ah, thanks! :)

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Seems like this could potentially go very badly if there were two small divots/imperfections on that sphere that happened to line up just so...super low odds, but it would be interesting to see.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Are there equivalents of those forklift situational awareness lights for construction equipment?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

aas Bandit posted:

Seems like this could potentially go very badly if there were two small divots/imperfections on that sphere that happened to line up just so...super low odds, but it would be interesting to see.

It's a sphere of (seemingly) greater hardness than the spools. It's not even in the mesh plane, there's nothing to grab. That's why it wanders back and forth.

It was probably designed to make sure light materials all get thrown into the mesh plane and shredded.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is intentional. When you have a big-rear end piece of glass to dispose of, it's much easier to just break it and clean up, even indoors. At work we had a conference room with a glass wall that we turned into offices and the glass guys just wrapped the 8' x 3' panels in plastic and moving blankets and just smashed them with hammers.

These guys choice to break it in the middle of the road is pretty questionable, though.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

glynnenstein posted:

This is intentional. When you have a big-rear end piece of glass to dispose of, it's much easier to just break it and clean up, even indoors. At work we had a conference room with a glass wall that we turned into offices and the glass guys just wrapped the 8' x 3' panels in plastic and moving blankets and just smashed them with hammers.

These guys choice to break it in the middle of the road is pretty questionable, though.

That makes a lot of sense,

Seeing as it's a small side road and this is filmed at night, maybe they just figured nobody would be using the road for the short time it would take to clean it up. If it's exterior glass, they might not have anywhere else to do it onsite.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Industrial gizzard stone

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

EasilyConfused posted:

That makes a lot of sense,

Seeing as it's a small side road and this is filmed at night, maybe they just figured nobody would be using the road for the short time it would take to clean it up. If it's exterior glass, they might not have anywhere else to do it onsite.

Looks like it's laminated or at least has something holding it all together. Probably very easy to clean up there.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmAr78FK44g

Train crashes into bus in Gothenburg, Sweden.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qpn4abc0wB1r0uzl6.mp4

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Load-bearing junction box.

e: drat came super close to squishing her.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Still Fluxing posted:

Holy poo poo the train literally gets air. Also the front windows are all smashed in. Driver probably got injured.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Still Fluxing posted:

it's kind of looking like the bus did a really good job of getting the gently caress out of the way without crushing too much?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

aas Bandit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3WeECF6c_U

skip to 4:20

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Batterypowered7 posted:

This has been posted before, right?

https://i.imgur.com/1e0KTuW.mp4

I think I tweaked my back just watching this

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I doubt he's grateful that went way better than it easily could have.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Potato Salad posted:

it's kind of looking like the bus did a really good job of getting the gently caress out of the way without crushing too much?

It helps that it was a swivel bus instead of a single solid vehicle, but that's got to be a total write out on both ends.

It's fortunate that the bus had no passengers and the driver was wise enough to run before the crash. A full bus hit like that... :stare:

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
https://i.imgur.com/8HBvWlp.mp4

Sound recommended

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Uthor posted:

Every funeral I've attended has used a hearse, though I would assume they have something more convenient/under the radar for picking up dead bodies.

:airquote:Private Ambulance:airquote:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Nenonen posted:

It helps that it was a swivel bus instead of a single solid vehicle, but that's got to be a total write out on both ends.

Nah.

Well, maybe not in Sweden, I don't know the economics of it there. But in the US they'll pick up engines that have completely derailed and refurbish them, a few blown out windows are nothing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Log082 posted:

Nah.

Well, maybe not in Sweden, I don't know the economics of it there. But in the US they'll pick up engines that have completely derailed and refurbish them, a few blown out windows are nothing.

I mean both ends of the bus. The train will just keep chugging.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Nenonen posted:

I mean both ends of the bus. The train will just keep chugging.

Oh, yeah, I misunderstood. that bus is totalled.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Hilario Baldness posted:

I think I tweaked my back just watching this

I did something similar trying to roller blade down the longest, steepest hill in town, your rear end and tailbone takes most of the damage.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

skip to 4:20

Way ahead of you.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

Exactly!

Phanatic posted:

Way ahead of you.

Exactly!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got a call for a sink shocking a homeowner, figure live wire on an improperly grounded metal pipe, right? Well, we're getting about 80VAC from sink to grounded metal appliances, we start isolating circuits, trying to find the one causing the problem, and get the house safe.

Turn off every breaker, sink still hot,

Pull the meter to ensure the whole house is deenergized, sink still hot.

Reenergize the house, go out to the truck to smoke and brainstorm how this is possible, look at the power pole next to us, and the ivy growing up it and into the 23kV lines on top.

Turns out it was conducting enough to energize the water pipe to the house. High Voltage will make things you don't think would conduct, conduct.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Elviscat posted:

I got a call for a sink shocking a homeowner, figure live wire on an improperly grounded metal pipe, right? Well, we're getting about 80VAC from sink to grounded metal appliances, we start isolating circuits, trying to find the one causing the problem, and get the house safe.

Turn off every breaker, sink still hot,

Pull the meter to ensure the whole house is deenergized, sink still hot.

Reenergize the house, go out to the truck to smoke and brainstorm how this is possible, look at the power pole next to us, and the ivy growing up it and into the 23kV lines on top.

Turns out it was conducting enough to energize the water pipe to the house. High Voltage will make things you don't think would conduct, conduct.

That is really quite terrifying, to be honest
Good thing you're a smoker, another point to tobacco companies saving the day

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Still Fluxing posted:

Helvete!

helvete

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Still Fluxing posted:

That bus was on its way to the garage and I think he just ran over one of the railroad junctions there that are a bit too steep for some of the long buses with low ground clearance.

Also, the railroad crossings along that road have previously had trains come without the warning lights flashing too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And absolutely no fatalities, only bruising.
Sweden, do you possess a wish granting monkey's paw?

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

This reminds me of an old story I heard at work years ago. Two old ladies that lived next door to each other, both roasted in their showers by a current that managed to travel through the lights into the rebar in their shower floors and then through the wet tiles into their bodies.

This article about it is worth a read, it's some final destination poo poo.
https://masterelectricians.com.au/dead-but-still-live

quote:

Around this time, Steve McGee from Sydney Electricity arrived, and after a short briefing, we re-entered unit 49. Mr McGee would take electricity readings using a voltage detector. In the bathroom area of the unit, Mr McGee activated the voltage detector, it immediately flashed and emitted a tone. I initially asked whether his device was faulty, however after walking into the kitchen then the hallway near the front door, Mr McGee firmly indicated that the whole unit was ‘live’ and we should immediately leave. Once outside, Mr McGee informed us the only reason we had not been electrocuted was the fact we were wearing thick, rubber-soled boots and latex gloves.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well gently caress, always wear your protective gear.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I can't hear completely; does he say his meter maxes out at 15000 volts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

I can't hear completely; does he say his meter maxes out at 15000 volts?

He said it's set to that.