Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dogboy posted:

That sounds really cool, but how does it sync with other players?

Just yell at everyone to sleep in discord. We had 10 people on our server pretty much all the time and the routine ended up being we'd carry around half a stack of wood so we could pop down a bed/roof (hang it off the nearest tree) and a fire to instantly sleep. If you forget it takes about 20 seconds to grab that much wood unless you're sailing.

If people are sailing you're poo poo outta luck, gotta just go do something else with your time while it processes. Which is fine by me, its not like you'd sit there staring at something to install on steam, you'd go do something else. Same with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milward
Nov 5, 2009

genericnick posted:

I just use discord like apparently everyone else.

I was more thinking about how to share them here, but I'll test with imgur.

Longhouse and Workshop and the discontinued start of my pier:

My veggie plantation:

The Workshop:

Kitchen and food prep area

Bedroom

The Trophy wall in all its bare glory. I have killed more bosses but never got around to finishing it.

The Pier, the idea was to build a stone pier connecting to my wall/moat and dig out the ground so it would be a free island reachable by boat och portal only.

The reason it did not work, I can't get down below water level here no matter what.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

This guy always does silly things with games and made a fairly fun + entertaining valheim video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgFzP5m1k_c

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was noticing last night enemies have some fairl okay pathfinding when it comes to mazes. They break if they cannot find a non-jumping path to you, but I set up a little maze of fences to lure goblins into spikes while trying to reach me. Makes me think there could be a really fun tower defense mod for this game. Right now all we have are spikes and maybe log traps, but not hard to imagine the other parts you'd need for a cool TD.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Azhais posted:

Not mine

That's not accurate anymore, Notre Dame lost most of its roof last year! :colbert:

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

I am very much looking forward to the next update to see how they will approach future game content.

That aside, figers crossed that the modding community kicks into overdrive and starts releasing new items and stuff like "keep upgrading your old armor" etc. It's frustrating that trollhide is very weak but is the last set that doesn't physically slow you down just for wearing it, and troll / silver are the only armors with passive bonuses.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The linen cap is one of the weirdest crafts. It's just worse than two far easier cloaks to make/acquire.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Only thing I'm disappointed in is how poorly the game runs on my system. It's impossible to upgrade gpus right now (I have a 1060) so I'm basically stuck at 45 fps as my max, which is too bad because the game has such a great look.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Khanstant posted:

The linen cap is one of the weirdest crafts. It's just worse than two far easier cloaks to make/acquire.

It also looks terrible

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

milward posted:

I was more thinking about how to share them here, but I'll test with imgur.

You can open a discord server copy the screenshot in and then just copy the link. Like so:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Having to find a good swamp with lots of crypts is good fun though. Get out there in a boat, see the world!

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 9, 2021

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Do we know for sure what contributes to fps slowdown in bases? I've heard that that a lot of terraforming and fires (particle effects?) are the main things.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Random question. As a player is it possible to pull the map seed from the server you're playing on? I don't want to make my friend go digging through files, but since it's their first time I'd like to poke around and see where some things are before we get started.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Only thing I'm disappointed in is how poorly the game runs on my system. It's impossible to upgrade gpus right now (I have a 1060) so I'm basically stuck at 45 fps as my max, which is too bad because the game has such a great look.

I've tried most of the tips shared on reddit and they have noticeably helped. There's also a performance-boosting mod for bepinex that I haven't tried yet.
Running a 1070 currently, generally able to hit 90-100 outside of bases and right around 60 in bases with view range set to max and everything else at low/med. Was capping out at 80ish before.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

bus hustler posted:

I mean I wasn't trying to make a bold claim about bonemass, sure you can go right to iron. That hasn't worked for out game (haven't found any iron) but sure that's totally intended. Mostly just saying that Bronze is in a very weird place, and isn't needed for the 2nd boss and can be skipped right to iron.

The point is that bronze armor sucks AND is a jump in tedium, especially before you can carry a lot. It triples the time you are standing around smelting, and it also triples the amount of coal you need. These are not as disputable as people are making them. I absolutely refuse to have someone tell me with a straight face that they love standing around for tin and copper to smelt 1 at a time, max 10 stack.

No, finding bronze tedious isn't because of my "actual traveling" which I don't even understand - we are all on different maps. It's a massive jump in tedium and chores for a skippable, unnecessary tier of armor.

My initial post was someone saying they hadn't fought the 2nd boss because they were farming up Bronze, and I basically said "hey you don't need to do that, it's tedious and you can jump right to iron for the 3rd." That's it, that's the post. I am not insulting your fun for feeling that way.

This is all assuming you have decent iron access though - we used the hell out of bronze armor on my server because it’s not all that much worse than iron, and much easier to brute force. We were very unlucky with crypt spawns, and had the existing infrastructure to take 3 dudes and slam a cart full of copper/ton into a forge much more easily than transporting a full crafting station to each and every swamp we found. We did this a bit, but just enough to get weapons.

It’s somewhat tedious to smelt, but by this point you should also have a surplus of cores and can just slap down a tree farm + a few kilns and pump out more coal than you would ever need.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 9, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

whalestory posted:

Do we know for sure what contributes to fps slowdown in bases? I've heard that that a lot of terraforming and fires (particle effects?) are the main things.

I don't think so. But the forced fullscreen trick from here worked well for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lwria0/huge_fps_boost_from_50_to_90110_for_me/

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

causticBeet posted:

This is all assuming you have decent iron access though - we used the hell out of bronze armor on my server because it’s not all that much worse than iron, and much easier to brute force. We were very unlucky with crypt spawns, and had the existing infrastructure to take 3 dudes and slam a cart full of copper/ton into a forge much more easily than transporting a full crafting station to each and every swamp we found. We did this a bit, but just enough to get weapons.

First swamp biome I found had no crypts. Finally found what I thought was a huge one, turned out to only have 3 crypts in it. Did find the Bonemass location, which had a much larger swamp with lots of crypts, I put a base right near it and that's how I finally maxxed out iron. Was a huge problem just finding a large swamp. Now that I'm exploring the world more I've found absolutely massive swamp biomes all over the place farther from center, but most of them are adjacent to plains biomes that I'm ill-equipped to handle. The random world layout is definitely a double-edged sword for the gaming experience. I think the game might have benefitted from a menu option for a more predictable progression striation of biomes, and then an option to generate a random world from a seed once you've got the basics down. Like just include the option for one static map for newbies or casuals where the biomes are all laid-out mario world style.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

whalestory posted:

If you hit F2 count the instances it displays. Under 10,000 is nice. Start to climb to 20,000 and you suffer. I have a friend who overdeveloped on a dedicated server, primarily related to terraforming, and his is at 30,000 and unplayable.

It's not terraforming per se, it's the severity of the impact terraforming has vs. just building stuff. A small to medium house will have what, a few hundred pieces all told? But if you were to terraform a 100x100 area for a moat, or whatever, that's 10,000 additional instances right there.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Mar 9, 2021

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

whalestory posted:

Drop the draw distance by a notch. I went from 30 to 40 FPS after doing so. Decoration amount is one of the things which greatly affect FPS, besides the quantity of building pieces. Don't think terraforming affect FPS much.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Serpents have fixed spawns, so mark them on your map when you're attacked by one and you can farm them

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Pill Clinton posted:

Drop the draw distance by a notch. I went from 30 to 40 FPS after doing so. Decoration amount is one of the things which greatly affect FPS, besides the quantity of building pieces. Don't think terraforming affect FPS much.

You wouldn't think so from a purely visual perspective, but on a dedicated server, terraforming is a killer. It's not just about what the video card can render. There's a good summary here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lqcr88/reason_behind_low_fps_and_huge_instance_numbers/

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

mastershakeman posted:

in other gear news, doesn't the math on shields make it so that blocking anything in the 4th or 5th biome is a mistake? since they do so much damage per swing, you're going to get your stamina obliterated with a block. im really struggling against just 2 wolves at once since they attack so fast and my iron mace will oftne miss them after the first attack, and going for the 3rd hit gets me hit again if i didnt get a parry off (almost impossible if they didnt attack simultaneously)

So going by a reddit deep dive into skill mechanics, blocking costs at most 25 stamina (which I think is 1.25 pips), scaling down based on what percentage of block power was used on the attack. Blocking does not convert health to stamina damage 1:1.

As long as you keep upgrading your shield blocking remains viable.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Since I play mostly solo, I made a tree stand to cheese Bonemass with. I started the fight, ran up and started plinking him with arrows. So he wandered off and I have no idea where he went but the boss fight is still active.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Serpents have fixed spawns, so mark them on your map when you're attacked by one and you can farm them

Oh seriously? That explains why I've seen so many near one base and none near the other I guess

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a convenient way to hit things that are low down with an axe? I keep having trouble clearing stumps because they're too low - I can be stood right next to one, looking down at it, swing and completely miss. It only seems to work if I can stand on a slope below them a lot of the time.

I totally underestimated this game, I looked at it and thought it'd be simple and shortlived - whilst it may be simple, I'm at hour 47 and have only killed the second boss. Whilst it works great for me, the performance is quite poor for my brother when there are any particle effects. It's a shame there's no way to turn them off.

Also in terms of bronze vs. iron gear - yes iron needs way more, but it feels so much easier to obtain than bronze. The former requiring multiple trips to a lot of different sites, the latter being obtainable in large amounts from just one sunken crypt. It's been pretty satisfying getting geared up in iron stuff with what feels like little effort.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you're having trouble with a stump, you can always take them out with a pickaxe.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

SynthesisAlpha posted:

So going by a reddit deep dive into skill mechanics, blocking costs at most 25 stamina (which I think is 1.25 pips), scaling down based on what percentage of block power was used on the attack. Blocking does not convert health to stamina damage 1:1.

As long as you keep upgrading your shield blocking remains viable.

This is very good news.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is there a convenient way to hit things that are low down with an axe? I keep having trouble clearing stumps because they're too low - I can be stood right next to one, looking down at it, swing and completely miss. It only seems to work if I can stand on a slope below them a lot of the time.

I totally underestimated this game, I looked at it and thought it'd be simple and shortlived - whilst it may be simple, I'm at hour 47 and have only killed the second boss. Whilst it works great for me, the performance is quite poor for my brother when there are any particle effects. It's a shame there's no way to turn them off.

Also in terms of bronze vs. iron gear - yes iron needs way more, but it feels so much easier to obtain than bronze. The former requiring multiple trips to a lot of different sites, the latter being obtainable in large amounts from just one sunken crypt. It's been pretty satisfying getting geared up in iron stuff with what feels like little effort.

I've heard stories of people getting over 100 iron from a single crypt. I've personally cleared crypts and come out with less than 30. It's really luck of the draw down there.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Furism posted:

That's not accurate anymore, Notre Dame lost most of its roof last year! :colbert:

I'm sure the mosquitos will solve that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brothers and I, after spending a solid day sailing and getting absolutely nothing to show for it but empty swamps, just ended up looking for seeds that had swamps with crypts and made a new world with it. Cheating as hell, but there is "exploring the world and having excellent adventures" and "wasting my god drat time sailing an ocean where nothing happens".

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
yeah the random map generator needs some sanity checks

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bus hustler posted:

I mean I wasn't trying to make a bold claim about bonemass, sure you can go right to iron. That hasn't worked for out game (haven't found any iron) but sure that's totally intended. Mostly just saying that Bronze is in a very weird place, and isn't needed for the 2nd boss and can be skipped right to iron.

The point is that bronze armor sucks AND is a jump in tedium, especially before you can carry a lot. It triples the time you are standing around smelting, and it also triples the amount of coal you need. These are not as disputable as people are making them. I absolutely refuse to have someone tell me with a straight face that they love standing around for tin and copper to smelt 1 at a time, max 10 stack.

No, finding bronze tedious isn't because of my "actual traveling" which I don't even understand - we are all on different maps. It's a massive jump in tedium and chores for a skippable, unnecessary tier of armor.

My initial post was someone saying they hadn't fought the 2nd boss because they were farming up Bronze, and I basically said "hey you don't need to do that, it's tedious and you can jump right to iron for the 3rd." That's it, that's the post. I am not insulting your fun for feeling that way.

It's not triple anything. As others have pointed out as well, bronze stuff takes less bronze ingots than other metal-based gear.

Let's do some math
Max upgrade bronze axe, 32 bronze ingots total. So you'd need 64 copper and 32 tin for 96 total ingots
Max upgrade iron axe, 80 iron ingots total

It's more, but it sure isn't triple.

As for troll vs bronze armor, at the workbench/forge levels that are available to you at the point where you haven't killed Elder, bronze has 38 armor (including deer skin cape) vs troll's 26. Whether that 45% more armor is worth it depends on you personally.

edit: and running just 1 smelter/kiln is a way to madness, I run at least 2 of each. Even with iron and silver running only 10 at once is painfully slow.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 9, 2021

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

Scruffpuff posted:

You wouldn't think so from a purely visual perspective, but on a dedicated server, terraforming is a killer. It's not just about what the video card can render. There's a good summary here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/lqcr88/reason_behind_low_fps_and_huge_instance_numbers/

The dedicated server I am playing on do not have this issue. I can see that my gigantic base causes more FPS drop than my friend's mid-sized base. FPS depends almost entirely on the quantity of objects in a given area. I have 30-40 FPS, RTX 2070, with 17000 instances. My base is terraformed entirely. I flattened like a football field area. It has a 6 story wizard tower, a big house, large swimming pool, and a half finished "Milwaukee Art Museum". I also played on a different server before where my friends terraform only like 10% of the main base where we all live together but we build houses with a lot of pieces for esthetic. I got worse lag from that base because of the number of pieces we used. So there could be two things that affect FPS, one is from server side and the other from client side, but if the server is good enough then you just have to worry about your own PC.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Pill Clinton posted:

It makes a huge difference. On my dedicated server with ~5 people our first base was standard fare, a few simple buildings and a lot of terraforming. Ran like total garbage, most of us couldn't even get 40FPS in it. Then we heard about the terraforming problem and made a new base, which by now is 3-5x as large and complex, with a strict rule of no terraforming at all. Runs at about 90FPS for me, over double of our much-simpler-but-terraformed base.

The other performance tips help a lot too, fwiw. The fullscreen fix and special gpu flags gave me about ~20% more FPS.

Pill Clinton posted:

FPS depends almost entirely on the quantity of objects in a given area

Exactly, and doing any terraform operation (raise, lower, level, path, cultivate, stone path) creates an object for each "pixel" of the world that gets touched. So like another poster said, a 100x100 area being touched will create 10k objects. All of this will create a CPU bottleneck really fast.

quote:

I have 30-40 FPS
I think this is the disconnect lol, to most of us that would be considered nigh-unplayable.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 9, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Scruffpuff posted:

First swamp biome I found had no crypts. Finally found what I thought was a huge one, turned out to only have 3 crypts in it. Did find the Bonemass location, which had a much larger swamp with lots of crypts, I put a base right near it and that's how I finally maxxed out iron.

Is it generally the case that the swamp with Bonemass will have a lot of crypts? That would be good to know.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Pill Clinton posted:

The dedicated server I am playing on do not have this issue. I can see that my gigantic base causes more FPS drop than my friend's mid-sized base. FPS depends almost entirely on the quantity of objects in a given area. I have 30-40 FPS, RTX 2070, with 17000 instances. My base is terraformed entirely. I flattened like a football field area. It has a 6 story wizard tower, a big house, large swimming pool, and a half finished "Milwaukee Art Museum". I also played on a different server before where my friends terraform only like 10% of the main base where we all live together but we build houses with a lot of pieces for esthetic. I got worse lag from that base because of the number of pieces we used. So there could be two things that affect FPS, one is from server side and the other from client side, but if the server is good enough then you just have to worry about your own PC.

I suspect that the server my friend was using is a bit poo poo. I connected to his 30,000 instance area with a 2070 like you've got and it's an absolute slideshow until I get far enough away for it to dip under 15,000 or so. So my guess is pure object count can be affected by your local PC, but the stream of instance data coming over the pipe from a dedicated server can be a bottleneck depending on tons of factors. I'd like to give it a test on a really good server and see how different his world acts.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 9, 2021

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Subjunctive posted:

Is it generally the case that the swamp with Bonemass will have a lot of crypts? That would be good to know.

I've only fought him on the one server so I don't really know. I do know that my Elder location was in a tiny strip of Black Forest between mountains, meadows, plains, and swamp, so it stands to reason it's all random.

Protip: the runestones show you ONE of the altars to summon a boss. There are others you can stumble across.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Yes. The problem with swamps is that a huge portion of them are those little "strip" biomes that show up on the edge of islands, and whether those are their own biome type under the hood, or whether crypts need some kind of minimum swamp area to spawn in, those strips never have crypts (not that I've seen, anyway). But if you can find a proper swamp biome that has a little depth to it, crypts are really common. Most of the non-strip swamps you run into will have 5+ crypts, recently I found one with 14.

Bonemass is (so far as I've seen) always in one of those "full" swamps, so as a consequence there are usually a decent number of crypts too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LegoMan posted:

Since I play mostly solo, I made a tree stand to cheese Bonemass with. I started the fight, ran up and started plinking him with arrows. So he wandered off and I have no idea where he went but the boss fight is still active.

If you've got a mace, shield, and poison mead, do yourself a favour and fight him toe-to-toe. The mace will one or two shot the adds he spawns, the shield can block/parry his melee attack (or dodge roll away or into him), and the mead basically negates his poison aoe if you don't manage to walk out of range and lure him out fast enough.

I fought him solo after me and my coop partner did and it's not really any harder, it just takes longer with half the people wailing on boss and splitting aggro. Still, much faster than plinking with arrows which gets real boring real fast

Taffer posted:

Yes. The problem with swamps is that a huge portion of them are those little "strip" biomes that show up on the edge of islands, and whether those are their own biome type under the hood, or whether crypts need some kind of minimum swamp area to spawn in, those strips never have crypts (not that I've seen, anyway). But if you can find a proper swamp biome that has a little depth to it, crypts are really common. Most of the non-strip swamps you run into will have 5+ crypts, recently I found one with 14.

The strips can have tombs, it's just such a small chance given how little potential area there is to spawn in, but I don't think they have a minimum required space.

The only biome I haven't seen in strip form anywhere, or in the tiny-little sea-island form are mountains and AFAIK mountains only spawn above a certain elevation

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I've heard stories of people getting over 100 iron from a single crypt. I've personally cleared crypts and come out with less than 30. It's really luck of the draw down there.

The first mud pile in the first crypt I entered gave me like 15 iron and there was a chest behind it was another 12. it was definitely a bit disappointing when I got pretty much an equal amount from the entire rest of that crypt combined.

edit: reminder that even without a requirement for a crypt to be a certain distance "inside" the biome you're going to see geometric growth in the chances for a crypt to spawn as you move away from a strip to a circle/square. Assuming the probability density function for number of crypts in a swamp is expressible as a function of area it could literally just be the math.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 9, 2021