Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Welcome to the future:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what's that in acres of forest burned

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

flatluigi posted:

what's that in acres of forest burned

Sales in USD on http://opensea.io/

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It’s March 8th, which means I get to post this graph again:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TinTower posted:

It’s March 8th, which means I get to post this graph again:

Why are there two off peaks starting in 2012?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

Why are there two off peaks starting in 2012?

The one in November is International Men’s Day.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

TinTower posted:

The one in November is International Men’s Day.

What's the one in July then?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ikanreed posted:

What's the one in July then?

That's when people would like it to be.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/g0m/status/1369008216047300608

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Something tells me Dilbert guy considers himself to be adjusted pretty high on humor and hotness.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

We believe the vaccine is 65% effective, but based on our data it is also possible that it is -53% effective.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
So get vaccinated three times a year. Sheesh

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ariong posted:

We believe the vaccine is 65% effective, but based on our data it is also possible that it is -53% effective.

That's absolutely possible when you have almost no data?

In fact with covid in particular it's easy to see how a vaccine might have negative efficacy. People might get overconfident, go out more, stop wearing masks, and if it wears off somehow, higher rate than control happens.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Seems like a weird definition of vaccine efficacy to me, but I’m not a scientist.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Ariong posted:

Seems like a weird definition of vaccine efficacy to me, but I’m not a scientist.

Efficacy is measured purely in outcomes. If you want to know something more subtle like immune response or relative risk per exposure, you can measure that instead.

But if giving people vaccines hypothetically makes people more likely to die, you stop giving them the vaccine until you can figure out why. It doesn't matter if the cause and effect is complicated. That's why we measure it.

(Once more data comes in the range will narrow a lot)

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

ikanreed posted:

That's absolutely possible when you have almost no data?

In fact with covid in particular it's easy to see how a vaccine might have negative efficacy. People might get overconfident, go out more, stop wearing masks, and if it wears off somehow, higher rate than control happens.
There are also diseases like Dengue Fever where if you have encountered one of the five serotypes previously then you will be immune to that particular serotype, but if you then encounter another serotype then you will get more seriously ill. It's one the main difficulties in developing a vaccine for the disease, if you do it wrong then you might very well end up with a negative efficacy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No ring on kirk

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

kissekatt posted:

There are also diseases like Dengue Fever where if you have encountered one of the five serotypes previously then you will be immune to that particular serotype, but if you then encounter another serotype then you will get more seriously ill. It's one the main difficulties in developing a vaccine for the disease, if you do it wrong then you might very well end up with a negative efficacy.

it's known as "antibody-dependent enhancement" and it makes me weep at the complexity of the human organism

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i assume you already knew that, but hosed if i'm going to miss an opportunity to shill for one of the best blogs on the internet

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tunicate posted:

No ring on kirk

Feels like one of those situations where everyone has moneyballed the game for maximum efficiency and it becomes (more) boring to watch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

There is exactly one basketball game worth watching https://youtu.be/T4afzQyGo5Q

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jon Bois is the only person who's ever managed to make me sit through hours of sports statistics and charts and I can't wait for 20021

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Phy posted:

Jon Bois is the only person who's ever managed to make me sit through hours of sports statistics and charts and I can't wait for 20021

Sports are extremely low on my interests list, but that won't stop me from watching his video on what would happen if the three pointer was eliminated.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Sports are extremely low on my interests list, but that won't stop me from watching his video on what would happen if the three pointer was eliminated.

Appreciation of sports is absolutely not a pre-requisite for watching any Jon Bois joint even though they're almost entirely sports-related. He just does good stuff.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jon's content has motivated me to learn how many sports work in a way that sleepily staring at football after Thanksgiving dinner never has.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

No Safe Word posted:

Appreciation of sports is absolutely not a pre-requisite for watching any Jon Bois joint even though they're almost entirely sports-related. He just does good stuff.

Yeah I give zero shits about sports beyond games I am literally playing in, and I love Jon Bois' content

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah. I do like rule systems behaving oddly which Sports has plenty of.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nerds ruined the sports. gently caress you, nerds!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/railminindia/status/1370625725951184898?s=21

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
A mega-whopping 0.006% increase??? :monocle:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Technically true if last year's numbers stand in exactly the right place

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HenryEx posted:

A mega-whopping 0.006% increase??? :monocle:

It’s really a 0.28% increase because the first period had a leap day and the second didn’t.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ikanreed posted:

Efficacy is measured purely in outcomes. If you want to know something more subtle like immune response or relative risk per exposure, you can measure that instead.

But if giving people vaccines hypothetically makes people more likely to die, you stop giving them the vaccine until you can figure out why. It doesn't matter if the cause and effect is complicated. That's why we measure it.

(Once more data comes in the range will narrow a lot)
What if you were to wear a suit made of needles containing doses of the vaccine?? My models have shown this to be theoretically 100% effective.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What if you were to wear a suit made of needles containing doses of the vaccine??

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Crossposting from the maps thread, talking about population size and growth:

Platystemon posted:

Nigeria is the big sleeper on that map.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the site I got them from, very creatively named: https://www.populationpyramid.net

The year can be adjusted into the future for projections, but I have no idea if the models used are credible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BonHair posted:

Crossposting from the maps thread, talking about population size and growth:

What's wrong about those? They look like standard pyramids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

What's wrong about those? They look like standard pyramids.

Nothing wrong, just interesting and with somewhat scary implications.