Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

forkboy84 posted:

ScottishLabour.txt

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1369247953064493059?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I don't know who Steven Ireland is, but he sounds like a cool dude.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Going to become a billionaire writing a program that just generates uplifting fake news headlines of terrible things happening to piers morgan

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
within the next 5-10 years piers will either have an unsuccessful run for London mayor or get a cheeky peerage for services to looking into the camera and saying 'you couldn't make it up' with a completely straight face every morning

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/KelvinLabour/status/1369283490114572294?s=20

CLP Members are unhappy with this position.

Elsewhere, Wes Streeting sure is a very principled man.

https://twitter.com/owdhamboy/status/1369271463858085889?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

wouldn't be a centrist without trampling over any principles you might have ever had

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

lol god bless the Irish

https://twitter.com/StefGotBooted/status/1369232312974663681

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...plete-1.4504502

quote:

Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

Beyond this, it’s the stuff of children’s stories. Having a queen as head of state is like having a pirate or a mermaid or Ewok as head of state. What’s the logic? Bees have queens, but the queen bee lays all of the eggs in the hive. The queen of the Britons has laid just four British eggs, and one of those is the sweatless creep Prince Andrew, so it’s hardly deserving of applause.

The contemporary royals have no real power. They serve entirely to enshrine classism in the British nonconstitution. They live in high luxury and low autonomy, cosplaying as their ancestors, and are the subject of constant psychosocial projection from people mourning the loss of empire. They’re basically a Rorschach test that the tabloids hold up in order to gauge what level of hysterical batshittery their readers are capable of at any moment in time.

Harry revealed their next child’s gender – it’s a girl – in this interview, but Harry and Meghan are also pregnant with a nascent media empire and lucrative Spotify and Netflix contracts. Of course, their critics accuse them of being money-hungry careerists for this, but that’s hilarious coming from sycophants to hereditary tax-suckling grifters. Arranging a Netflix deal that the couple actually have to work for is pretty benign royal behaviour when you compare it with conquest and general parasitism.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Are there any Scots in the thread who can explain what is going on up there? From what I can tell Alex Salmond is just intent on burning everything down and Sturgeon is just trying to work out the worst possible way to handle it at every juncture?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dravs posted:

Are there any Scots in the thread who can explain what is going on up there? From what I can tell Alex Salmond is just intent on burning everything down and Sturgeon is just trying to work out the worst possible way to handle it at every juncture?

salmond is trying to burn everything down but doesn't realise that the public have stopped giving a poo poo about scandals and corruption because the tories have inured them to it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

salmond is trying to burn everything down but doesn't realise that the public have stopped giving a poo poo about scandals and corruption because the tories have inured them to it

its basically this combined with sturgeon's powerful aura of competence that can't be tarnished no matter what she does, its interesting.
its a different kind of media delusion than there is in england but its very strong

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

its basically this combined with sturgeon's powerful aura of competence that can't be tarnished no matter what she does, its interesting.
its a different kind of media delusion than there is in england but its very strong

I mean, I'm a complete outsider, but wasn't Sturgeon's aura of competence an artifact of her not actually having any real job responsibilities and all the squishy liberals searching for someone not Corbyn to crown opposition leader? Of course that would start to fail, now that Labour is effectively run out of MI5.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

genericnick posted:

I mean, I'm a complete outsider, but wasn't Sturgeon's aura of competence an artifact of her not actually having any real job responsibilities and all the squishy liberals searching for someone not Corbyn to crown opposition leader? Of course that would start to fail, now that Labour is effectively run out of MI5.

it is also that shes absolutely heads and shoulders above any other UK politician in terms of communicating and coming off as reliable.
so far nothing has failed for her really, her support is extremely strong.

its been bizzare for me though since my partner watches her briefings and its been months of:

"i dont want to do this but i have to follow the science to prevent things getting worse"
*the UK government does xyz cause the scottish government isnt real*
*things get worse*
"i dont want to do this but i have to follow the science to prevent things getting worse"
repeat

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i've seen sturgeon in debates and she's every technocratic liberal's wet dream - she makes statements that make sense and sound true, which involve numbers and things, and she always has an out for when she fucks up. she uses westminster like the brexiteers used brussels; it is always implied - not totally in error - that, freed of these shackles, she would be doing exactly the sort of common-sense policy that you, the listener, know is necessary

she dominated that weird climate debate where johnson tried to send his dad (?) by essentially not committing to anything unpopular and saying that she had a proven record of planting trees

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, I don't mean that the aura of competence has failed, but that the media landscape that produced it has shifted.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i think the UK as a whole is kind of ossifying as we withdraw further into post-imperial delusion

its unclear atm though whether we're in for 30 years of banal increasing misery or if something is going to give (i dont count on climate change shaking things up here, that will probably just cause rally round the flag poo poo)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/chrisrickett/status/1369177870191460353

I guess like Mother's Day, Meltdown May is also in March for the UK.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/ryanjohnbutcher/status/1369314488051204116?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/Jake_Kanter/status/1369351821530107907?s=20

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Lol x2

/\/\/\ gdi

https://twitter.com/Jake_Kanter/status/1369351821530107907?s=19

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm guessing for Andrew Neil's fox news with the serial numbers filed off channel

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I'm guessing for Andrew Neil's fox news with the serial numbers filed off channel

maybe but its not mainstream enough for him imo. just lol at him being so mad at being rejected all these years later being what made him go too far

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I hope he's planning to spend more time underground in a box

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Piers wins the biggest melt of the decade award.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jose posted:

maybe but its not mainstream enough for him imo. just lol at him being so mad at being rejected all these years later being what made him go too far

Nah I reckon he's already got the job and this was a nice theatrical flounce to launch his new gig, which kind of mirrors Harry and Meghan having the Oprah interview to launch them in the US

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
:lol: He is a giant baby

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Party Boat posted:

Nah I reckon he's already got the job and this was a nice theatrical flounce to launch his new gig, which kind of mirrors Harry and Meghan having the Oprah interview to launch them in the US

i think he got reprimanded and quit in a tantrum

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Finally, Piers Morgan and Graham Linehan can join Jeremy Clarkson and do an automobile show called TERF Trucks or something.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

lol oh no what will we do now the only person who holds the government to account is off the air

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He's sixth in line. The moment his brother had kids, his chances of becoming king went up in smoke.

King Ralph will be known as a documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqhZiDux9y8

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

More scalps

Prepare

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Can’t believe the queen forced him off the air to keep Harry from releasing the real juicy stuff.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Why would Jeremy Corbyn get Piers Morgan fired? More bullying from Labour!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Poor UK, thought of a woman who could pass as Italian having genes in a royal baby and died.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2gvtKWtZBw

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Why would Jeremy Corbyn get Piers Morgan fired? More bullying from Labour!

you joke but

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Grape posted:

Poor UK, thought of a woman who could pass as Italian having genes in a royal baby and died.

I honestly had no idea she identified as a person of colour until that interview. I thought she was an attractive woman from a Mediterranean background who married a ginger. I could probably snapshot random women leaving local tanning salons who look darker than Meghan Markle, but my court-issued restraining order prohibits me from making any more of those photos.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Yeah I mean the mixed race people who have any success in Hollywood may also have a survivorship bias. See also: Rashida Jones

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Olive skinned dark haired people were the first to civilize this rancid isle and its ruddy savages.
Bring back the Romans and set this mess straight once and for all.

Make London Londinium again.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lots of people telling on themselves on racism island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/JuiceSimpsons/status/1369445551733891074