Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sherlock Watson is portrayed as having fought in Afghanistan, which is certainly one major bumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't think there's a single person who will defend midichlorians or Jar Jar

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I remember at least one short story where Watson kinda takes on a case and does pretty well.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

hbomb’s prequel video will be the positive counterpart to the red letter media Plinkett review. Balance to the Force, at long last.

hbomb’s is more likely to age better though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He will never release a prequel video as he just did that for attention and we are long past the point where he needs that

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

josh04 posted:

Sherlock Watson is portrayed as having fought in Afghanistan, which is certainly one major bumble.

didn't the original Watson also fight in Afghanistan? I guess the show was trying to be glib, but it comes off as rather bleak.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Vagabong posted:

didn't the original Watson also fight in Afghanistan? I guess the show was trying to be glib, but it comes off as rather bleak.

He did, so perhaps the evidence has always been there.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

The original Watson indeed got wounded in Afganistan in his shoulder ( though ACD kept switching it up in later stories, so sometimes its his leg ) and nearly died of a typhoid fever while in the hospital recovering from the gunshot wound.

A Study in Pink is full of little nods to a Study in Scarlett like that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

He will never release a prequel video as he just did that for attention and we are long past the point where he needs that

You think this fact will stop hbombguy? Come on now!

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hbomb's overlapping conclusion on Sherlock and RWBY is that they're shows that threaten to be good. The resources are there, but the direction is off. A work that is disappointing is worse than a work that is merely bad.

What other media fits the same criteria?

The Legend of Korra, no contest.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

I fell off super hard after Deathly Hallows 1 (well, more like after Half-Blood Prince, to be honest), so I sympathize with that feeling. Kinda wonder what their takes were on the first three or four books, I've been meaning to reread them since I haven't touched any HP stuff since forever and a half.

They liked Prisoner of Azkaban as much as they were expecting to, but they were surprised by how much they enjoyed the first book, as it's genuinely the funniest of the series and Ron is actually a likable character. Chamber of Secrets on the other hand they are really down on, partly because it kicked off the whole House Elf thing.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I don't think there's a single person who will defend midichlorians or Jar Jar

nah, those can be defended because both of those things support and are supported by one of the core tenants of the prequel trilogy: The Jedi are bad, actually, and also don't know poo poo anymore.

obviously, you gotta read the text real deep to get to that, but that's the price you pay to get anything worthwhile out of the prequel trilogy. they're truly terrible films to watch but Lucas was literally inventing the techniques used to make literally every movie now when he made them

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Ariong posted:

The actual premise is that they were both huge Harry Potter fans as children and growing into adulthood, and now that public (and their own personal) perception if the series has shifted they’re going back and rereading them. I find them to be very fair qnd evenhanded.
Yeah I already listened to the first episode and its a refisit from a pair of fans who fell out of love with the series long before Rowling went full TERF. The fact they have a personal relationship with the series that has changed over time is what makes it interesting to me.

I made the comment about negativity because I listen to a lot of bad movie/book/media podcasts and while most are self aware about it I do worry that its maybe not the healthiest way to live my life so I've been trying to add some more positive stuff is all.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

iirc sherlock values watson highly because while he has a layperson perspective it's a particularly smart, well-educated, and experienced layperson perspective, contrasted against the bumbling police

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

egg tats posted:

nah, those can be defended

They're bad in and out of the story.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah I already listened to the first episode and its a refisit from a pair of fans who fell out of love with the series long before Rowling went full TERF. The fact they have a personal relationship with the series that has changed over time is what makes it interesting to me.

I made the comment about negativity because I listen to a lot of bad movie/book/media podcasts and while most are self aware about it I do worry that its maybe not the healthiest way to live my life so I've been trying to add some more positive stuff is all.

It helps that they love trashy media so a lot of the negativity comes across as bemused ribbing (unless the chapter they read is heinous enough to deserve actual hate). Like, they'll laugh at the books doing a "Hagrid's hut clusterfuck" where a million important characters just randomly show up in Hagrid's hut to talk about the plot, but they're clearly very happy the books are often just bizarre nonsense. Snape being the embodiment of this, since he's a delightfully catty bitch who invented the sword spell and can fly with zero explanation and generally makes the story much more entertaining every time he is on the page. They also still love the fandom itself in all its goofiness, so almost all of the second segments are good fun, like their long efforts to make a convincing-enough fake redditor to get invited to the private Slitherin subreddit, and their love of how genuinely cool it ended up being.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 9, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oddly the thing I think of most when I think of HP is the MsScribe Saga which I could have sworn Sarah Z did a video on but was apparently somebody else.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Dawgstar posted:

Oddly the thing I think of most when I think of HP is the MsScribe Saga which I could have sworn Sarah Z did a video on but was apparently somebody else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_DZd78WLQY

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Pigbuster posted:

It helps that they love trashy media so a lot of the negativity comes across as bemused ribbing (unless the chapter they read is heinous enough to deserve actual hate). Like, they'll laugh at the books doing a "Hagrid's hut clusterfuck" where a million important characters just randomly show up in Hagrid's hut to talk about the plot, but they're clearly very happy the books are often just bizarre nonsense. Snape being the embodiment of this, since he's a delightfully catty bitch who invented the sword spell and can fly with zero explanation and generally makes the story much more entertaining every time he is on the page. They also still love the fandom itself in all its goofiness, so almost all of the second segments are good fun, like their long efforts to make a convincing-enough fake redditor to get invited to the private Slitherin subreddit, and their love of how genuinely cool it ended up being.
You made it sound very fun and engaging! Its much more interesting to listen to people with some degree of actual affection for a thing rag on it because they generally pick up on what the actual problems are rather than tiresomely nitpicking everything BECAUSE ITS SO BAD.

I'm terrible at expressing myself, I don't want to seem like I'm saying the podcast is bad for being negative (or even that its noteworthily negative!) Or that JK doesn't deserve it (she absolutely does) I'm just trying to balance my media crit podcasts so that every one isn't about some long form media the hosts have complicated negative feelings toward.

I'm listening to a Kingdom Hearts podcast for example, and I get to vicariously enjoy something bizzare and impenetrable to me through the infectious enthusiasm of the hosts. Still have no idea what a kingdom heart is is but at least I now understand that Sora is a good anime boy and thats enough for the people who like it.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

this is your fault Yardbomb. you made this post happen

listen, Jar Jar is directed REAL bad, and maybe written worse. No one's going to say otherwise, but that isn't really a unique situation in the prequels

but what happens with Jar Jar, is that we see the jedi fall out of the sky onto him, immediately let himself give his freedom to him, and then they treat him like an unpleasant pest right up until the minute they can place him as a jedi-sympathetic gungan leader. this is extremely not good guy poo poo.

and the prequel trilogies present us with a declining jedi order. their powers are inconsistent, their ability to see the future is clouded, at best. they're supposed to be living humble monk lives, but instead they're the secret police of the republic. there's simply no reason in the text to suspect that when they say midochlorians cause force sensitivity is right. maybe trying to scientifically measure the force is, itself, one of the things causing their downfall.

and, again, to appreciate what the prequels are trying to do, you need to bring so, so much to the table yourself. ol George doesn't make this easy, the movies are poorly made, and they're so very boring, but there's, like, a skeleton of a good movie in there! George just wasn't interested in anything but the technology so he didn't make that movie.

that's it, that's the defense of both Jar Jar and Midochlorians. I hope this makes you happy Yardbomb, I did it for YOU.

edit:
vvvvvvvv

that's not surprising, they're both about the last gasps of a dying intergalactic empire unwilling to admit that it is an empire.
I've really gotta play kotor 1 and 2 someday

egg tats fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 9, 2021

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is remarkable that everytime the good possible version of the prequels are described, it's just the good parts of KotOR 2. Which itself came out in the middle of the prequel series.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Maggie Mae Fish - RAMBO!!!... And the David Lynch you haven't seen.

https://youtu.be/HRnEjsdjtks

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'll check that Harry Potter podcast, I follow The West Wing Thing this could be similar.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

achillesforever6 posted:

It's amazing how much better Rick Riordan is as a YA writer and also not a godawful human being

To be fair, you could pretty much pick any YA author who was publishing books when you were young and are probably better than Rowling ended up being, if only because she's down in the bottom percentile "Anne McCaffrey/Mercedes Lackey-tier."

Mr Phillby posted:

I'm listening to a Kingdom Hearts podcast for example, and I get to vicariously enjoy something bizzare and impenetrable to me through the infectious enthusiasm of the hosts. Still have no idea what a kingdom heart is is but at least I now understand that Sora is a good anime boy and thats enough for the people who like it.

Kingdom Hearts is alternating repetitions of "heart," "darkness," "friendship," "light," "memories," and "Sora-Donald-Goofy" spiraling away into the void infinitely. And sometimes it remembers to have Disney or Final Fantasy characters say some combination of those words.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CYBEReris posted:

iirc sherlock values watson highly because while he has a layperson perspective it's a particularly smart, well-educated, and experienced layperson perspective, contrasted against the bumbling police

he is also smart in areas holmes isnt. so that helps balance poo poo out.

CharlestheHammer posted:

my hot take is TPM was the best prequel. like its still bad and dumb alot but there is enough there that the sequels could have been good and its mostly aged well graphics wise because people are on actual sound stages and places. 2 is the worst on all levels and 3 is the second worst but most disappointing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

hbomb’s is more likely to age better though

Absolutely not.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nuns with Guns posted:

To be fair, you could pretty much pick any YA author who was publishing books when you were young and are probably better than Rowling ended up being, if only because she's down in the bottom percentile "Anne McCaffrey/Mercedes Lackey-tier."

What are the latter two guilty of?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Not Marion Zimmer Bradley-level bad though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my hot take is TPM was the best prequel. like its still bad and dumb alot but there is enough there that the sequels could have been good and its mostly aged well graphics wise because people are on actual sound stages and places. 2 is the worst on all levels and 3 is the second worst but most disappointing.

Reflecting on it, at least TPM was a decent enough individual movie. It meanders and fucks around too much and it was the birth of "OH MY GOD, Anakin made C-3PO and R2-D2 is Darth Vader's wife's droid, isn't that cool!" But there's a decent little adventure movie hiding out in it. AotC is a nothing movie that's only worth is its role in the trilogy and I remember not liking Revenge of the Sith when it came out because it was so focused on building the creaky bridge to Episode 4.

Also. Let's Game Out messes around with Valheim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgFzP5m1k_c

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's still wild somebody made a career (sort of) out of mediocre fan fiction and crafting elaborate scenarios where you always had the most cutting remark handy on Livejournal just to hang out with the popular kids who wrote slightly better fanfiction.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not Marion Zimmer Bradley-level bad though.

Beat me to it.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

This will always amaze me because of just how utterly low the stakes were.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Yardbomb posted:

"Out of the story" midiclorians are just the x-gene from the x-men and Jar Jar is just a cartoonish goof ala Goofy, and people like both just fine.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Setting up The Force as some neat space wizardy and then turning it into lame test tube poo poo blows. Really trying to lab out cool fantasy aspects of settings is most often terrible and ruins it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Schwarzwald posted:

"Out of the story" midiclorians are just the x-gene from the x-men and Jar Jar is just a cartoonish goof ala Goofy, and people like both just fine.

Jar Jar is a racist caricature.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I enjoyed the HP books as a late teen myself, but I quickly felt that it all peaked at Prisoner of Azkaban and that the later books had decent to good chapters buried in a plot that made no sense and got hamstrung by the 'every book takes a full year' gimmick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Jar jar also isn’t even the only racist caricature in the prequels either

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

It's not really true to the books though. Watson in the books is a skilled and intelligent doctor who just isn't the genius that Holmes is. He is generally quite competent. Him being portrayed like a bumbling fool is more down to adaptations like the old Basil Rathbone films.

Stupid Watson!

I miss Hark! A Vagrant.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

DeafNote posted:

I enjoyed the HP books as a late teen myself, but I quickly felt that it all peaked at Prisoner of Azkaban and that the later books had decent to good chapters buried in a plot that made no sense and got hamstrung by the 'every book takes a full year' gimmick.

That the page count inflated for no good reason immediately afterwards makes it obvious that Goblet of Fire is where she could, would and did start just straight up ignoring her editors. You could cut them all in half (if not more) from that point onwards and likely not lose anything of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Jar jar also isn’t even the only racist caricature in the prequels either
Yeah Watto is still something I'm shocked was able to be put into a modern era movie.