Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thread racists begin to form voltron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

The Question IRL posted:

I don't think a cat lacking a precise monetary value is why people consider them "disposable. "

If someone neglects (or worse yet tortured and kills) a cat, that's not going to be stopped by putting a minimum value on them.
You fight that with education or raising awareness and basically try to get people to stop being dickheads who think it's okay to drown cats or use them as methods of training dogs for fight rings.

The free hand of the market isn't going to remove animal cruelty.

I'd say that it's the free market which has already deemed cats to be free because the supply is greater than the demand. Animal rights groups have argued for years that yes, being forced to pay a small sum for the cat increases it's value to the owner and they are less likely to neglect it and more likely to do stuff like getting it spayed or neutered. And most importantly they are less likelt to get a cat as a snap decision. Free kittens is a bad thing for cats and it has needed active intervention by animal rights groups to get it this far.

http://www.carolsferals.org/free-resources-on-feline-overpopulation/no-more-free-kittens/

And no none of this will work against active mistreatment and animal cruelty, but it'll help some is the point.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Breath Ray posted:

The P in Vitamin P stands for patriot and as you say they were asking for examples of places that do it better, not for suggestions on how UK GICs could be better. To move this topic forward it would be good to hear from qhat where Canada ranks.

Here in BC, I don't know it in detail since I personally don't actually know anyone who has yet been through transition but from websites here and anecdotes on reddit, it seems trivial to get started, maybe like a short stint with a therapist but not strictly required.

http://www.phsa.ca/transcarebc/
https://www.reddit.com/r/asktransgender/comments/9khz9j/getting_hrt_in_bc_canada/.

Hormones are apparently like $22 for a months supply and common gender affirming surgeries like vaginoplasty are covered under the provincial health plan. I don't know where I'd rank Canada relative to everyone else but this seems like a whole lot better than telling people sorry try again in 3 years.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

They've arrested a met officer over the Sarah Everard disappearance. Yeesh.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm not sure. I know they have spent months investigating CRMs and just wanted/needed to commit to something. All the employees (3!) are part-time and IT isn't their forte.

I've just emailed the project leader who was tearing her hair out yesterday and said how about we mask up and meet in the office and give it one good last try as paid assistance is likely to be very expensive.
We have a zoom on Friday with the volunteer who has some salesforce experience and will ask her some more relevant questions now we have spent 2-3 heavy days between two of us trying to figure it out!

The charity is tiny in terms of employees but has multiple donor income sources and multiple projects in several countries. so it's quite a complex operation currently being run off Access 2000 and copious spreadsheets. It wasn't so bad before lockdown when they and various volunteers were all sitting in the same office, but working remotely has proven the need (let alone the issues with Access being unavailable on the cloud and its creaking age).

Helping charities with this sort of thing is kind of a hobby, pm me if you like

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Scikar posted:

We didn't even get as far as discussing that. The previous argument began when discussing the ambiguously worded FOI response, whether it means this particular clinic had only seen 2 people in a year, or if it had only seen 2 people out of 495 new referrals.

It's probably worth mentioning that the thread argument over this was really painful to read. Necrothatcher was right that this tweet is wrong, but didn't at all suggest that someone on twitter getting their facts muddled absolves GICs from being poo poo. Calling them a transphobe apologist for doing what this thread often does best, especially in contrast to twitter - providing an explanation and context about a specific topic - was a lovely thing to do.

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/10/almost-all-young-women-in-the-uk-have-been-sexually-harassed-survey-finds

quote:

Virtually all young women in the UK have been subjected to sexual harassment, according to a survey from UN Women UK, which warns that most women have lost faith that the abuse will be dealt with.

Among women aged 18-24, 97% said they had been sexually harassed, while 80% of women of all ages said they had experienced sexual harassment in public spaces.

“This is a human rights crisis. It’s just not enough for us to keep saying ‘this is too difficult a problem for us to solve’ – it needs addressing now,” said Claire Barnett, executive director of UN Women UK.

“We are looking at a situation where younger women are constantly modifying their behaviour in an attempt to avoid being objectified or attacked, and older women are reporting serious concerns about personal safety if they ever leave the house in the dark – even during the daytime in winter.”

The YouGov survey of more than 1,000 women, seen exclusively by the Guardian, exposes a damning lack of faith in the UK authorities’ desire and ability to deal with sexual harassment – 96% of respondents did not report incidents, with 45% saying it would not change anything. Among those who said the event was not serious enough to report were women who had been groped, followed and coerced into sexual activity, said UN Women UK.

As part of the UN Women UK’s Safe Spaces Now project, the organisation collected stories from 400 women and sent an open letter to leaders, calling for better designed public spaces, improved reporting systems and education.

“We’ve seen really strong results elsewhere in the world. Our problem now is that sometimes in the UK, we think we are a leading light in terms of progress, and we forget to work on the gender-based violence that still happens every day at home, especially to women and marginalised groups,” said Barnett.

Laura Bates, founder of the Everyday Sexism Project, said women were recognising the abuse they faced as sexual harassment, but it was unsurprising they had no faith in an “utterly broken” system.

“If you talk about wolf-whistling or street harassment in the UK, you are liable to find yourself on the front page of a tabloid being called a ‘feminazi’ and accused of overreacting, so of course young women don’t think that they’ll be taken seriously if they come forward,” she said.

Bates pointed to TUC/Everyday Sexism research that found 52% of women had experienced sexual harassment at work, and of the one in five who had reported it, three-quarters said nothing had changed, while 16% said they were treated worse as a result.

“At the root of all this is the normalisation of the idea that a woman’s body in a public place is simply public property and young women just have to put up with it. We have to shatter that normalisation through policy and in the press if we want to change the picture,” she said.

Completely cool and normal country.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Necrothatcher posted:

They've arrested a met officer over the Sarah Everard disappearance. Yeesh.

"While we understand that the public believe that nobody is truly safe if the Metropolitan Police have begun raping and murdering white women with no criminal record, we must stress that the incident occurred when the officer in question was off duty."

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Niric posted:

It's probably worth mentioning that the thread argument over this was really painful to read. Necrothatcher was right that this tweet is wrong, but didn't at all suggest that someone on twitter getting their facts muddled absolves GICs from being poo poo. Calling them a transphobe apologist for doing what this thread often does best, especially in contrast to twitter - providing an explanation and context about a specific topic - was a lovely thing to do.

Here's the thing though they have over two thousand people some waiting over two thousand days, the idea that anyone could jump that waiting list is honestly a ridiculous reading of the situation no trans person in the UK is getting assessed in a year it's is a ridiculous concept that just doesn't happen, its taken me 13 months to even get to an initial screening appointment.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Niric posted:

It was also a bit upsetting as I have a sibling on the waiting list at Laurels but oh well.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Not cool but probably fairly normal in comparison to most other countries.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It's possible to point out a flaw in an argument while still supporting the argument's overall conclusions.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Necrothatcher posted:

It was also a bit upsetting as I have a sibling on the waiting list at Laurels but oh well.

A followup request has been sent, requesting clarification:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/gic_initial_assessments_since_de#outgoing-1122432

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Regarding GICs I thought that even beyond any issues of how well the GIC itself is being run the whole thing was sized to the demand occurring when trans people were much less likely to come out of the closet, and now they're experiencing an order of magnitude more people lining up while providing adequate resources for trans health care isn't a priority in the current political climate

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm fully expecting the total number of patients seen to be criminally low - and gently caress them if they lean on COVID as justification for that.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Rumda posted:

yep I did it this morning just in case I do manage to get a doctors note and apply for my new passport before a week on Sunday and technically not be doing it 'wrong'

FWIW I changed the name and gender on my UK passport without needing anything from the dr - it was a while ago but as far as I can remember I just went deed poll (I printed one of those free online ones and got 2 people at work to witness it) -> bank stuff -> passport -> driving license. I even did the post office checking thing and they didn't ask any additional questions.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

suck my woke dick posted:

Regarding GICs I thought that even beyond any issues of how well the GIC itself is being run the whole thing was sized to the demand occurring when trans people were much less likely to come out of the closet, and now they're experiencing an order of magnitude more people lining up while providing adequate resources for trans health care isn't a priority in the current political climate
How long does it take for the census data to be compiled / released? I’m assuming it’ll reveal an absolutely massive increase in people identifying as trans over the last census that will show how woefully inadequate the current system is.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

spiderbot posted:

FWIW I changed the name and gender on my UK passport without needing anything from the dr - it was a while ago but as far as I can remember I just went deed poll (I printed one of those free online ones and got 2 people at work to witness it) -> bank stuff -> passport -> driving license. I even did the post office checking thing and they didn't ask any additional questions.

Na to shift the gender marker you need a grc, birth certificate, or doctors note

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Should we have got any census stuff by now? I got a flyer saying that the census was coming and that I should look out for it, but nothing since then.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Should we have got any census stuff by now? I got a flyer saying that the census was coming and that I should look out for it, but nothing since then.

I just went online requested a new code and did it

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm fully expecting the total number of patients seen to be criminally low - and gently caress them if they lean on COVID as justification for that.
tbf the literal reading of that FOI (~0.4% of patients seen within a year) is criminally low, I don't think anyone who isn't being transparently disingenuous would argue otherwise. Like the only argument to be made would be "it's not quite as criminally low as people said :smug:", which is why it's important to get the facts straight imo

TACD posted:

I’m assuming it’ll reveal an absolutely massive increase in people identifying as trans over the last census that will show how woefully inadequate the current system is.
Showing demand for services is literally the point of the census (as described to census collectors for the purpose of persuading people to fill it in, anyway), so it'll be good news if this happens

which I guess is why the transphobe lobby is kicking off that people are allowed to record their gender identity :(

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We got our stuff in the post last week.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my census letter says I have to do it on the 21st. should that be by the 21st or are there allocated slots by area or something

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

kecske posted:

my census letter says I have to do it on the 21st. should that be by the 21st or are there allocated slots by area or something

If should be filled out as if it was done on the 21st by the 21st

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

Rumda posted:

Na to shift the gender marker you need a grc, birth certificate, or doctors note

I guess I've been using an invalid passport for the past 9 years then, because I didn't need any of those things when I changed it.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Rumda posted:

If should be filled out as if it was done on the 21st by the 21st
bit of a moot points with lockdown restrictions

"please tell us what guests you were illegally entertaining so we can make a note of it, & I guess you can confess to whatever other crimes you're doing as well if you feel like it"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Borrovan posted:

tbf the literal reading of that FOI (~0.4% of patients seen within a year) is criminally low, I don't think anyone who isn't being transparently disingenuous would argue otherwise. Like the only argument to be made would be "it's not quite as criminally low as people said :smug:", which is why it's important to get the facts straight imo

I think the argument is that actually its too high, because everyone else is waiting years for an appointment so how did those 2 people jump the queue? Like in general its low and bad gut given the actual situation that number should be zero.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Didn't even get an original lovely troll, that's the real insult

Oh by the way viewers in Scotland note our census isn't till next year.

spiderbot posted:

I guess I've been using an invalid passport for the past 9 years then, because I didn't need any of those things when I changed it.

I suspect they might have been a bit more lax with their rules a few years ago, before trans stuff became such a Big Story? Good job on sneaking past the gender police, regardless

Borrovan posted:

"please tell us what guests you were illegally entertaining so we can make a note of it, & I guess you can confess to whatever other crimes you're doing as well if you feel like it"

I don't think census data gets shared with law enforcement, they keep it pretty need-to-know. If they did it would be an utterly terrible idea from a statistical perspective, at least.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what is with british people and suddenly becoming thesaurus fuckers when you've made them mad. i swear to christ someone called me a bore the other day, like we'd stumbled in from some agonizing victorian period drama.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
what a pugnacious rapscallion, a british person says growing increasingly red - dreadful bores and poppycocks

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I think the argument is that actually its too high, because everyone else is waiting years for an appointment so how did those 2 people jump the queue? Like in general its low and bad gut given the actual situation that number should be zero.

Well the FOIA said 'assessments' without clarifying the outcome, so it could theoretically count patients who've decided to remove themselves from the waiting list and the 'assessment' was merely a phone call to confirm that they are no longer requesting clinic support.

But that's just spitballing.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I got it in the post yesterday, you'll probably get it this week.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was wondering last week when mine was going to show up and then it arrived yesterday, probably give it another couple of days?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1369384489034670083?s=19

Surprised at this tbh

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Well the FOIA said 'assessments' without clarifying the outcome, so it could theoretically count patients who've decided to remove themselves from the waiting list and the 'assessment' was merely a phone call to confirm that they are no longer requesting clinic support.

That was my thoughts on it, possibly even people who have died and thus 'discharged' from the system.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I don't think it's that surprising if you look at labour voters outside this thread to be honest.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CoolCab posted:

what is with british people and suddenly becoming thesaurus fuckers when you've made them mad. i swear to christ someone called me a bore the other day, like we'd stumbled in from some agonizing victorian period drama.

This definitely is a thing that happens, but imo bore is a short enough word that yeah it sounds toff but not Rees-Mogg level :wotwot: . Not sufficiently sesquipedalian, me does't thunk

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Necrothatcher posted:

Na they had number of patients discharged as a separate count and assessment is the term they use for for the initial appointment you have to wait 6 years for when they judge you for being too masc/femme then you have to wait for a second appointment to get hormones if you get passed that.
There's also an initial screening level of gatekeeping which would get you shoved into the discharged file if they don't think your trans enough. I have mine this afternoon...

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What's surprising about it? Some Labour voters will feel a sense of ideological duty to say they support the current leader while others will be more issue based. I would only say it's surprising if the poll swung hugely towards favouring one over the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Check out the breakdown by age, though.